• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOOTEMBER Wrasslin' 2016 |OT2| Sometimes You Just Need to Shoot for a Double

gun_haver

The Geek ratings are in!

The New Day vs. Gallows & Anderson - ***1/2
T.J. Perkins vs. Brian Kendrick - ***
Cesaro vs. Sheamus - ****
Sami Zayn vs. Chris Jericho - ***3/4
Charlotte vs. Sasha Banks vs. Bayley - ***1/2
Rusev vs. Roman Reigns - **1/2
Kevin Owens vs. Seth Rollins - ***1/4

Overall a really good show, I thought. The booking of the endings is gonna make a lot of people think it was a bad one, though.

Here's the Star_Havers for tonight:

Nia Jax vs Alicia Fox - **1/2

The New Day vs. Gallows & Anderson - ***

T.J. Perkins vs. Brian Kendrick - **

Cesaro vs. Sheamus - *** (missed some of it though...toilet break, oops)

Sami Zayn vs. Chris Jericho - ** 1/2

Charlotte vs. Sasha Banks vs. Bayley - ****

Rusev vs. Roman Reigns - **

Kevin Owens vs. Seth Rollins - ***

General verdict:

A decent show with good in-ring action let down by a general lack of interesting storylines going into the event, leaving me indifferent on the outcomes of many of the matches tonight. Likewise going ahead, many of these feuds will continue, and that prospect doesn't excite me too much. Hopefully they will build successfully on what was done here tonight and by Hell in A Cell we'll have something beyond good in ring work to appreciate.

jg4xchamp

Byron Saxton is shit enough that I would rather listen to joe Buck; but fuck Michael Cole is lame as hell. The smackdown guy can be a bit too animated; but he isn't stooge like the way Cole is.

orioto

Good Art™
Disappointed by the main event..

Too classic, too slow. Owens match always start slow but you got amazing counters and stuff mid match till the end. It didn't deliver like i hoped here. I don't mind the shenanigans to make Rollins the poor robbed babyface, but the match before that was an average KO match.

The fact that Rollins is not over and the crowd wasn't super into cheering for him doesn't help of course.

You realize, if it was working like it should. If wrestlers here were in the right positions, a finish like that would have had the entire crowd booing like crazy. They didn't, cause.. they don't specially think Rollins should be the champ.

Recall

My wife getting ready for work watched the main event with me, she has zero interest in wrestling.

Her thoughts:

Why is this going on so long?
Why did they flex their dicks at each other?
This is silly, do you want a brew?

Verendus

Banned
Disappointed by the main event..

Too classic, too slow. Owens match always start slow but you got amazing counters and stuff mid match till the end. It didn't deliver like i hoped here. I don't mind the shenanigans to make Rollins the poor robbed babyface, but the match before that was an average KO match.

The fact that Rollins is not over and the crowd wasn't super into cheering for him doesn't help of course.

You realize, if it was working like it should. If wrestlers here were in the right positions, a finish like that would have had the entire crowd booing like crazy. They didn't, cause.. they don't specially think Rollins should be the champ.
That match was awfully quiet except for a few spots where there was a little noise. I think it's because it's a heel vs. heel match so half the audience seems to not care. You don't hear any women or children, and the men decided not to do anything either. They should probably pull the trigger on a Seth face turn instead of holding off. It wasn't a good or great match by any means, but the crowd just no sold 90% of it.

Imagine it was Reigns vs. Owens. That place would be alive. That's why Reigns works even if the manbabies hate him. His match with Rusev felt more like the main event.

Wagram

Clash of the Champions was disappointing. Not terrible, but booking peeked its ugly head out as usual with the Raw events. Backlash was better overall.

MOTN (imo): Charlotte vs. Sasha vs. Bayley.

The Club ditching NJPW for this is pretty funny

There's a reason every Okada to WWE rumor immediately gets officially shot down

Don't think he hasn't seen shit like this for years. The TNA flashbacks come to mind every time too

If he ever leaves for that treatment again, you can just celebrate his retirement at that point, because he'll have officially given up on his career.

orioto

Good Art™
That match was awfully quiet except for a few spots where there was a little noise. I think it's because it's a heel vs. heel match so half the audience seems to not care. You don't hear any women or children, and the men decided not to do anything either. They should probably pull the trigger on a Seth face turn instead of holding off. It wasn't a good or great match by any means, but the crowd just no sold 90% of it.

Imagine it was Reigns vs. Owens. That place would be alive. That's why Reigns works even if the manbabies hate him. His match with Rusev felt more like the main event.

You're funny guys when you say they should go 100% with the Rollins face turn. He's doing the best he can right now to be a face.

Verendus

Banned
Clash of the Champions was disappointing. Not terrible, but booking peeked its ugly head out as usual with the Raw events. Backlash was better overall.

MOTN (imo): Charlotte vs. Sasha vs. Bayley.
I'm not seeing any issue with the booking.

The New Day won. Jericho won. Reigns won, but the ending sequence was pretty good and didn't make Rusev look bad. Owens won in a dirty fashion which didn't make Sith look bad, and we got a nice cameo from Jericho that actually made sense.

The only problem was the Cesaro vs. Sheamus match. It was shaping up pretty nicely. Felt like we were about five minutes away from the ending to a match that slowly picked up the intensity and excitement only for it to randomly end.

Curious what the commentary kept mentioning that the winner gets a championship opportunity. Is this series to decide the number one contender for Universal Title?

You're funny guys when you say they should go 100% with the Rollins face turn. He's doing the best he can right now to be a face.
Is he a face?

I honestly can't tell at all. I don't watch the weekly shows, just the PPV, but I feel like nothing has changed. Same character. He's just telling Stephanie that she's backing the wrong horse, and that she knew what Haitch did. For him to go full face, he needs to be straight up against both her and Haitch. He just seems like a bit of a jabroni at the moment that's just stuck in between nowhere.

Mengetsu

There's a reason every Okada to WWE rumor immediately gets officially shot down

Don't think he hasn't seen shit like this for years. The TNA flashbacks come to mind every time too

If he ever leaves for that treatment again, you can just celebrate his retirement at that point, because he'll have officially given up on his career.
I mean Nakamura's entrance into NXT could be used to build trust with the other NJPW talent as well. If he says they treated him good and they promise anyone their a good run that's a chance. Kenny Omega and Okada are the main two who I think are personally adamant on not going to WWE cause they have so much freedom in NJPW.

Alvarez is saying Seth might have a rib injury.

Terrible news. Praying for Chamber.

BwXOxUT.gif

Caderfix

He's mid way. He's a guy who is pissed because he's no longer the authority's favorite, he didn't turn face yet.

I hope he does soon.0

orioto

Good Art™
It's possible that Kevin Owens didn't want to be crippled in the middle of the biggest push of his career by his unseff opponent.

But seriously i'm not sure why they didn't have more interesting exchanges.. I must be spoiled by Owens against Zayn, AJ Styles, or even against Cena he had amazing interactions..

Is he a face?

I honestly can't tell at all. I don't watch the weekly shows, just the PPV, but I feel like nothing has changed. Same character. He's just telling Stephanie that she's backing the wrong horse, and that she knew what Haitch did. For him to go full face, he needs to be straight up against both her and Haitch. He just seems like a bit of a jabroni at the moment that's just stuck in between nowhere.

In my dramaturgy book, the face is actually the guy who has the most conflict. The guy who has to overcome the most odds. I really think Rollins is meant to be the face, except he has no clue how to act like one.

Verendus

Banned
He's mid way. He's a guy who is pissed because he's no longer the authority's favorite, he didn't turn face yet.

I hope he does soon.0
That's what it feels like to me. He doesn't seem like a face. Still a heel in my eyes who's upset with other heels for wronging him.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm being dead serious. If I got the title and had to put it on the line against Seth Rollins who has already halted two major pushes?

'Brother, we're going for the headlock spot.'

So Seth's story is that he goes from whining about not getting enough title shots to whining about not being Haitch's puppet. Can we do something that does not involve him constantly whining? How will they shoehorn him yet another title match for the next special event?

galvatron

But seriously i'm not sure why they didn't have more interesting exchanges.. I must be spoiled by Owens against Zayn, AJ Styles, or even against Cena he had amazing interactions..

In my dramaturgy book, the face is actually the guy who has the most conflict. The guy who has to overcome the most odds. I really think Rollins is meant to be the face, except he has no clue how to act like one.

Agreed on all points. A bit clunkier match than I'd have expected and Rollins is still figuring out his face move set (as evidenced by the HBK corner spot into clothesline).

Lack of buckle bomb was the highlight of the actual match for me.

Top Bottom