• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOOTEMBER Wrasslin' 2016 |OT2| Sometimes You Just Need to Shoot for a Double

I have a good feeling Emma will make her return tonight, friends. She'll feud with Charlotte, and we won't get another Sasha match. Yes, yes, I can feel it in the air. it's gonna happen.

And of course friends it ends with not only a title match but a Dana Brooke on a Pole match.

Biggest-Geek-Ever
(Today, 04:28 PM)
homer-laughing.gif

Old Observers are pretty great

It was quite a sight to see no-name indie wrestlers doing really bad chair shots in front of around 100 people treated as a serious news subject. The idea that when a show the calibre of "Nightline" investigates pro wrestling, hardcore style in particular, and its effect on children, they go to Mantua, NJ for basically unknown Combat Zone Wrestling, and interview the promoter of the almost as unknown Bayonne, NJ based Jersey All Pro Wrestling, is mind boggling.

But there it was, Ted Koppel, one of the most respected television newsmen in the country, debating an overmatched Jeff Shapiro, the promoter of the Bayonne, NJ based group.

The show opened with "Nightline" reporter Dave Marish going to a Combat Zone show in a warehouse with about 100 or so fans. They interviewed fans, who did great service to wrestling fans around the country by saying they were there were the blood. They showed clips of some really bad wrestling, even by indie standards, featuring terrible chair shots and a guy jumping off a pretty high balcony onto an opponent and sending him through a table while, in ECW fashion, the crowd started chanting "CZW." They brought a psychologist to the matches, who found them very exciting and entertaining, but focused on how riled up very young children attending the shows (one of whom brought a barbed wire baseball bat to be used as a weapon, and apparently, with the ABC-TV cameras there, was disappointed because none of the wrestlers would use it) were from the simulated brutal activity. The psychologist, in what was obviously a dated reference, said that recent studies with kids revealed Hulk Hogan as the seventh biggest sports hero among young children.

John Zandig, the promoter of the show, bragged that it was his promotion that introduced the new spot of using a staple gun to the head, that has since been taken national by ECW.

Old Observers are pretty great

I remember that story and WWE or maybe it was just Mick's reaction, I think it was that one that had Mick on it and they took what he said out of context that he also mentioned in his second book, maybe? Can't remember if WWE had another camera set up in case that happened and showed the footage from their end to expose that BS or if it was this segment that lead to WWE doing that with all talent.

Young Meltz is really punch/ shooty

Luger did an interview and said before the show was over he was going to expose Hogan for the phony that he is. I figured Zahorian was being brought in for a promo.

Also WTF

When Bischoff goes heel as company President, he's going to have a black woman bodybuilder and two midgets as part of his entourage

I have a good feeling Emma will make her return tonight, friends. She'll feud with Charlotte, and we won't get another Sasha match. Yes, yes, I can feel it in the air. it's gonna happen.

And of course friends it ends with not only a title match but a Dana Brooke on a Pole match.
Ugh why you gotta say that, now I have to watch.... Or at least have it on in the background

I've thought about buying the Blu-ray on Amazon like thirty times. Never seen it.
It's real good, friend. I watched it first on the Blu Ray as well, I think it's worth it. Not a great show to binge watch though, episodes are basically standalone

Top Bottom