• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight (PC/WiiU/3DS) Kickstarter by Yacht Club Games [Complete, ~$310K]

Echoes

Backed fo sho...and also shamelessly made the bonfire scene my FB cover photo.
Great idea! Stealed for my FB, too.

I've been playing Rockman World games (GB) the past few days; finished 1 and 2 and currently playing 3. Portable MMs are really fun, and I'm also glad we're getting all the NES games by June on the 3DS. I just can't wait for Shovel Knight, it hit all the right notes for me.

Also, for playable knight, I think Polar Knight has a potential to really be fun and different in play style. For example, I imagine him being able to jump and hit the ground heavily, making some sections (like the falling chandeliers) relatively easy -- stomp, let them fall and shatter, and continue. Many other possibilities, too.

I was always going to pledge from the very beginning but I just had to see how much money I could afford first.

ePnHAk3.jpg

FEELS GREAT.
Humanity, saved.

VandalD

Glad to see this doing so well. It wasn't even funded when I threw my meager bit of money. Hoping it gets to challenge mode!

nowai

Great idea! Stealed for my FB, too.

I've been playing Rockman World games (GB) the past few days; finished 1 and 2 and currently playing 3. Portable MMs are really fun, and I'm also glad we're getting all the NES games by June on the 3DS. I just can't wait for Shovel Knight, it hit all the right notes for me.

Also, for playable knight, I think Polar Knight has a potential to really be fun and different in play style. For example, I imagine him being able to jump and hit the ground heavily, making some sections (like the falling chandeliers) relatively easy -- stomp, let them fall and shatter, and continue. Many other possibilities, too.

This is the image I went with for FB.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Will EU backers also recieve a eShop code or is it again a US exclusive affair ?

dani_dc

For anyone curious, it seems that you'll need to pay $15 to get a Steam version (if it get accepted into steam), while $10 will get you a DRM-Free version.

Yatch Club Games said:
At the $10 backer tier, we will send you a plain old PC version. Just an executable that sits in a folder somewhere on your computer.

At the $15 backer tier, we will send out a poll asking which version you would like. The planned options would be 3DS, Wii U, Steam (if Greenlit), or DRM-free PC. If you are hoping to receive a Steam version of the game from your Kickstarter pledge then this would be the tier to match.

Source

nowai

For anyone curious, it seems that you'll need to pay $15 to get a Steam version (if it get accepted into steam), while $10 will get you a DRM-Free version

Thanks for the heads up. Threw in an extra $5 in for Steam backlog goodness.

Nabs

For anyone curious, it seems that you'll need to pay $15 to get a Steam version (if it get accepted into steam), while $10 will get you a DRM-Free version.

Source

I understand why the Nintendo codes cost $15, but why are we paying the same price for a code that Steam provides for free?

zroid

Banned
I hope you guys wanting a Steam version don't get burned if it's not greenlit...

I'd like to think it's a shoo-in considering the KS success and media buzz, but you never can tell with Greenlight.

CDX

I hope you guys wanting a Steam version don't get burned if it's not greenlit...

I'd like to think it's a shoo-in considering the KS success and media buzz, but you never can tell with Greenlight.

yeah, all this talk about a potential Steam version will be for nothing if it doesn't get greenlit

VandalD

Good to know. I guess I was mistaken that they plan to go on GOG. Maybe I confused that with Divinity somehow. I'd be fine with just the DRM-free version, unless it had online play. Can always just add the shortcut to Steam.

tjohn86

I kind of want to pledge but that has me kind of nervous too..

Hero

Don't think this is true. There's only a cut that's sold on the store itself.

"Once your game is accepted for distribution on Steam, we will give you as many keys for your game as you want at no cost." http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight/faq/

not true

also this is obviously getting greenlit. I get the worrying but this game is fucking popular at this point, and that's all it needs

I see the link and read the relevant part but not sure why YCG would lie about that.

I know it's not reliable but the Greenlight page has generated almost 50 pages of comments, largely positive as far as I can tell. The smallest amount on a greenlit game was ~70.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

Source

I hope they clarify this soon. I may pull my pledge because of this.

Steam does not charge for keys.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
I see the link and read the relevant part but not sure why YCG would lie about that.
I don't think they're lying so much as ignorant, which is worrisome in its own way.

I'm interested in this game and have pledged, but I have to admit certain parts of this KS rub me the wrong way.

Hero

I don't think they're lying so much as ignorant, which is worrisome in its own way.

I'm interested in this game and have pledged, but I have to admit certain parts of this KS rub me the wrong way.

At worst I guess it's just another example of what a complete and utter failure Greenlight is.

morningbus

At worst I guess it's just another example of what a complete and utter failure Greenlight is.

How is this a failure of Steam Greenlight? I assume the problem is that YCG thinks Steam works like the consoles, where you have to pay for the key.

jett

D-Member
Maybe the generation of keys doesn't have a cost but Steam is most definitely taking a cut from each game sold, how could it not?

morningbus

It was a joke.

Sorry, your joke was too real. The Greenlight thread is currently a mess.

Maybe the generation of keys doesn't have a cost but Steam is most definitely taking a cut from each game sold, how could it not?

As Glass Rebel said, they only take a cut when the sale is made through the store.

They will generate keys for literally any game on Steam at the request of the publisher and for free. Why? Either they're the nicest guys in the world or, ultimately, it feeds more people back into their ecosystem so they absorb the loss but keep or acquire a customer.

jett

D-Member
Sorry, your joke was too real. The Greenlight thread is currently a mess.

As Glass Rebel said, they only take a cut when the sale is made through the store.

They will generate keys for literally any game on Steam at the request of the publisher and for free. Why? Either they're the nicest guys in the world or, ultimately, it feeds more people back into their ecosystem so they absorb the loss but keep or acquire a customer.

Well, okay.

zroid

Banned
The thing is, I assume Valve would get seriously pissed off if devs started requesting free Steam codes and then selling them behind their backs and taking more of the profit at a lower cost to consumers. I know they haven't taken a stance on this in previous Kickstarters, but if they're considering the KS pledge as a "sale" of that Steam code, it would make sense they'd want to disallow it.

Just speculating, of course.

Het_Nkik

Hmm, even the LabZero guys in their crowdfunding campaign raised the price of the reward tiers late in the campaign, and I'm 99% sure they said it was because they ran out of Steam keys at x price and had to charge more for the newer y price.

The thing is, I assume Valve would get seriously pissed off if devs started requesting free Steam codes and then selling them behind their backs and take more of the profit at a lower cost to consumers. I know they haven't taken a stance on this in previous Kickstarters, but if they're considering the KS pledge as a "sale" of that Steam code, it would make sense they'd want to disallow it.

This is how it has worked for the past few years and so far there's nothing indicating that it'll change. To Valve the long-term benefits outweigh the costs.

morningbus

The thing is, I assume Valve would get seriously pissed off if devs started requesting free Steam codes and then selling them behind their backs and take more of the profit at a lower cost to consumers. I know they haven't taken a stance on this in previous Kickstarters, but if they're considering the KS pledge as a "sale" of that Steam code, it would make sense that they'd want to disallow it.

I really don't think they care at the moment and a few random Kickstarters isn't going to be the thing that changes their mind. Entire businesses have been built around people selling Steam keys. Amazon's Download department and Green Man Gaming were tiny blips in the market until they started offering Steam keys for basically everything.

Humble Bundle operates the same way, including the Humble store applet many indies have on their own websites now.

Hmm, even the LabZero guys in their crowdfunding campaign raised the price of the reward tiers late in the campaign, and I'm 99% sure they said it was because they ran out of Steam keys at x price and had to charge more for the newer y price.

That was a different scenario as the Indiegogo campaign was specifically for the DLC, which they were funding independently of their publisher. LabZero had to go back to their publisher and request the keys for the game, effectively costing the publisher its sale. The publisher gave the key to LabZero basically at cost, which is what they then charged for.

Nabs

Lab Zero had to pay their publisher (Marvelous AQL) for the codes.

Top Bottom