• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight (PC/WiiU/3DS) Kickstarter by Yacht Club Games [Complete, ~$310K]

CDX

VzKMMt2.gif

yay! linux and mac stretch goal reached!

It looks like gender swap mode is almost guaranteed to happen too, as long as support doesn't drop or something.

Getting to challenge mode doesn't seem as impossible anymore either.

TreIII

My main thing is Challenge Mode. If I can at least get that, I'd be more than satisfied. 4 Player Mode would just be the icing on the cake.

I'd give up all these goals -- except maybe NG+ -- for Challenge Mode. Those were a lot of fun in MM10 and other games.

Kinda wish Time Attack was an option, now that I think about it. I guess there's no new powers like Mega Man though.

Tunic

MANvsGAME is getting ready to play the demo on Twitch.tv right now. Here is a link: MANvsGAME

MAN also has the developers in a Google Hangout with him chatting while he plays through the demo.

duckroll

I'd give up all these goals -- except maybe NG+ -- for Challenge Mode. Those were a lot of fun in MM10 and other games.

Kinda wish Time Attack was an option, now that I think about it. I guess there's no new powers like Mega Man though.

I agree. Extremely excited for Challenge Rooms. I really hope they meet that goal. Gender Swap is errr... a fun gimmick I guess, but a gimmick nonetheless. :(

Yeah, every stretch goal after 100k up to 180k is pretty snooze-worthy. Multiplayer and especially challenge rooms would be great though.

It's going at a decent clip so they might be attainable. Don't think I've posted in this thread before, so wanted to say, this game looks fantastic. Funny that usually WayForward is lacking in the gameplay department and this game seems to excel there.

Sushigod7

Mole Knight is AWESOME this game just keeps on dishing out gold. Is anyone else entering the art contest they are holding?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I want Challenge Mode but I can't see it hitting that mark. Oh well, backed already and the addition of Mac OS support is just icing on the cake. I want to deal with Bootcamp as little as possible, methinks.

It'll be pretty sweet if it can do 20k a day until the final day where it gets a 50k bump or something!

I think it's definitely going to get a nice bump in this last week. Especially when you factor in tomorrow's AMA with YGC over at Reddit and I hear rumblings from the devs that they will be livestreaming a Super Mario 64 run labeled "Super Drunkio 64" on the last day of the KS. If it does happen, I will be there watching along with my own supply of beer. =]

EDIT: It looks like YGC's AMA will take place on Tuesday, 4/9 at 1pm EST.

duckroll

I hope that if they managed to exceed 200k, they can consider putting in online multiplayer for the PC version. It doesn't have to have matchmaking servers at all, just the ability for a player to host a game and invite friends. Otherwise I think offline MP is going to be completely useless for the game.

I hope that if they managed to exceed 200k, they can consider putting in online multiplayer for the PC version. It doesn't have to have matchmaking servers at all, just the ability for a player to host a game and invite friends. Otherwise I think offline MP is going to be completely useless for the game.

Um, well not the Wii U version of it.

That's gonna be the best version for local.

zroid

Banned
Or if they can manage to implement download play on 3DS...

Is there actually a precedent for download play multiplayer on an eShop game?

How so? It's useless if most of the people interested in playing a game like this isn't anywhere near my house. :p

Well, um, for a good pecentage of people? It's not useless at all. I desperately miss local multiplayer, as 95% of all games don't bother to include it anymore. I'm personally glad they are not wasting resources making an online mode.

But that's just me. I understand that some people might lack local friends, but I don't think there's any harm in one small indie game bucking the trend of an online mode for once.

sensui-tomo

How so? It's useless if most of the people interested in playing a game like this isn't anywhere near my house. :p

get your friends interested in this game? otherwise get better friends. or find super best friends.. I got no other answers for ya. Now to actually fund this project(would love it if it could come out for ps3/vita with cross buy/play/whatever they want)

duckroll

Well, um, for a good pecentage of people? It's not useless at all. I desperately miss local multiplayer, as 95% of all games don't bother to include it anymore. I'm personally glad they are not wasting resources making an online mode.

But that's just me. I understand that some people might lack local friends, but I don't think there's any harm in one small indie game bucking the trend of an online mode for once.

So less options are better? Cool. Great attitude. This isn't about bucking some trend which is bad for game design, it's about giving more options for people to enjoy a feature. :p

sensui-tomo

there are some local multiplayer games still around... That army of 2, any Warriors game. DmC3(i got nothing).

duckroll

there are some local multiplayer games still around... That army of 2, any Warriors game. DmC3(i got nothing).

Lots of games support local multiplayer actually. Fighting games, lots of DD games, etc. There's nothing wrong with that. I enjoy those features too when I have friends over. It's just that having an online option adds so much more life to a multiplayer component. It's just silly not to at least try to implement it if its feasible.

sensui-tomo

Lots of games support local multiplayer actually. Fighting games, lots of DD games, etc. There's nothing wrong with that. I enjoy those features too when I have friends over. It's just that having an online option adds so much more life to a multiplayer component. It's just silly not to at least try to implement it if its feasible.

Maybe it will get added a year later when the game is irrelevant, like Scott pilgrim because that game could have used it earlier.

So less options are better? Cool. Great attitude. This isn't about bucking some trend which is bad for game design, it's about giving more options for people to enjoy a feature. :p

Uh, no...and I didn't say "less options are better" the video I made for my channel which spiked up pledges a bit was so I can help Yacht Club fund as many options as possible. So to say I think "less options is better" is a bit disingenuous. But there has to be a limit.

Remember, this is an indie game with a very limited budget. I am happy they are focusing on a mode they CAN do with little problems (local co-op) rather than doing something that might not work, might need alot more time, money, etc...and something WayForward/Yacht Club has no experience with (online infastructure) gambling with that sorta thing with people's money is not exactly wise. It's better to pick and choose your battles sometimes.

If Shovel Knight is a success and they make a sequel, then I for one would then EXPECT an online mode. That makes sense.

I don't think that's unreasonable viewpoint.

duckroll

Uh, no...and I didn't say "less options are better" the video I made for my channel which spiked up pledges a bit was so I can help Yacht Club fund as many options as possible. So to say I think that is a bit disigenious.

But this is a indie game with a VERY limited budget. I am happy they are focusing on a mode they CAN do with little problems (local co-op) rather than doing something that might not work, might need alot more time, and something WayForward/Yacht Club has no experience with (online infastructure) gambling with that sorta thing with people's money is not exactly wise. It's better to pick and choose your battles sometimes.

If Shovel Knight is a success and they make a sequel, then I would for one EXPECT an online mode. That makes sense.

I think this is a pretty reasonable viewpoint.

All I'm saying is that if they manage to go beyond 200k, it's something they could consider. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. With more money, they are able to invest in more experimentation, possibly even after releasing the product. I'm sure there's a lot more interest in the multiplayer mode as it is supporting online, just like how people really like online Bomberman modes because it's much easier to get 4-8 players together online rather than locally.

I never asked for them to remove the local mode or anything of that sort. But if they do surpass all the stretch goals they have right now, wouldn't that be something nice to see them try? I'm not being unreasonable here either!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
More options are almost always a good thing but there are plenty of times where a game has failed because it tried to do too much and failed spectacularly at it. This has happened before in poorly thought out or implemented Multiplayer and sometimes yeah, I'd rather have a great tightly focused single or two player game or a four player local game instead of a four player online game that completely fucked that part up. Time and resources are finite after all.

Still if they can do it all and do it all well then why not, that is the best way after all.

All I'm saying is that if they manage to go beyond 200k, it's something they could consider. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. With more money, they are able to invest in more experimentation, possibly even after releasing the product. I'm sure there's a lot more interest in the multiplayer mode as it is supporting online, just like how people really like online Bomberman modes because it's much easier to get 4-8 players together online rather than locally.

I never asked for them to remove the local mode or anything of that sort. But if they do surpass all the stretch goals they have right now, wouldn't that be something nice to see them try? I'm not being unreasonable here either!

This is a good point, if you said this earlier, I apologize as I missed it. Maybe one of their secret stretch goals in online MP?

But I also just want to play the full game like, yesterday! :p The demo was so much fun to play, and it still lacked alot of gameplay features.

duckroll

This is a good point, if you said this earlier, I apologize as I missed it. Maybe one of their secret stretch goals in online MP?

But I also just want to play the full game like, yesterday! :p The demo was so much fun to play, and it still lacked alot of gameplay features.

Hey, I want to play the full game asap too! :)

If it means dropping any multiplayer mode at all, I think we would all agree it doesn't really matter that much. My original point was just that the 200k stretch being local only 4-player MP isn't that useful, and if they can exceed even that, I hope for a simple online component just so I can get more use out of it.

Either way, it looks like support for the title has finally started to swell up, so that's a great thing for the game and the developers. Hopefully the campaign will end in a really nice spot. ^_^

Thoraxes

Man, I still can't figure out which platform I want it for.

Part of the novelty of having that 3D parallax is edging me towards the 3DS version, and I can always pick it up on PC later when it gets on Steam and has a sale. But I have nice sized TV too.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Hey, I want to play the full game asap too! :)

If it means dropping any multiplayer mode at all, I think we would all agree it doesn't really matter that much. My original point was just that the 200k stretch being local only 4-player MP isn't that useful, and if they can exceed even that, I hope for a simple online component just so I can get more use out of it.

Either way, it looks like support for the title has finally started to swell up, so that's a great thing for the game and the developers. Hopefully the campaign will end in a really nice spot. ^_^

I don't think it'll happen with this project but some of these KS games getting ten or twenty times what they asked for scares the shit out of me. Think of all the extra pressure these people are under and they might not be able to scale up their game at all.

It's way better in my opinion to only get slightly above your initial target so that you have a nice cushion but don't have to deliver the moon after you promised it.

zroid

Banned
I don't think it'll happen with this project but some of these KS games getting ten or twenty times what they asked for scares the shit out of me. Think of all the extra pressure these people are under and they might not be able to scale up their game at all.

It's way better in my opinion to only get slightly above your initial target so that you have a nice cushion but don't have to deliver the moon after you promised it.

Just take a look at what happened with Double Fine. Shit's crazy.

It must be hard enough as is to plan your budget to a tee beforehand and still deliver on the product your backers expect, but to scale up at the whims of KS backers with a series of stretch goals? Delivering on those promises isn't exactly getting easier.

Pappasman

Man, I still can't figure out which platform I want it for.

Part of the novelty of having that 3D parallax is edging me towards the 3DS version, and I can always pick it up on PC later when it gets on Steam and has a sale. But I have nice sized TV too.

Get it on everything :)

zroid

Banned
I finally took the time to read through the Kickstarter main page from top to bottom...

Great clods of dirt, this really is going to be something special

I was always going to pledge from the very beginning but I just had to see how much money I could afford first.

ePnHAk3.jpg

FEELS GREAT.

BY2K

Membero Americo
5k to playable Boss Knight 2!

How much time left until the kickstarter is done? I want to give 15$ but I can't until Friday.

Top Bottom