• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight (PC/WiiU/3DS) Kickstarter by Yacht Club Games [Complete, ~$310K]

FuKuy

I'm in shocked. I never thought this game could achieve this amount of money. I'm very happy and proud of the game community.

BUT I'm worried... I'm not sure about the game getting Greenlit on STEAM anytime soon, we need to spread the word!

I pledged 10$ via PayPal. It is my first time.

What exactly did I do?

Will I receive a link to direct download the game when it is right time? Or something else?

I have neither a steam account, nor a kickstarter account.

Some tutorial response will be appreciated.

You'll get a link to a downloadable DRM free version as well as a redemption code for the steam version.

Either this will just be emailed to you or they will set up some sort of "backer site" after the kickstarter is over and email you instructions on how to register there.

lo zaffo

You'll get a link to a downloadable DRM free version as well as a redemption code for the steam version.

Either this will just be emailed to you or they will set up some sort of "backer site" after the kickstarter is over and email you instructions on how to register there.

TY!

I think these notes are usefull for (many) people here.

fr4nz

Are the wii-u / 3DS code region-locked ?
I have an european 3DS & WiiU and I wonder if I will be able to use them ...

@MUWANdo

Banned
Are the wii-u / 3DS code region-locked ?
I have an european 3DS & WiiU and I wonder if I will be able to use them ...

They'll be able to give you a code specific to your region, but there's no guarantee that the game will be out in both regions or for both platforms simultaneously.

Thoraxes

With challenge mode guaranteed and 4-player multi looking super likely now, i'm in :D

Gonna snag 3DS first for my commutes, then Steam sale the inevitable PC version on there for streaming and stuff.

Is there going to be a ps3/psv release goal. Come on please release it on the other consoles, I am fed up playing on my mac :(

This is going to be awesome nevertheless.

Holy shit at the increase last night, so glad we got challenge mode.

Game Grumps played it and made it look a lot of fun. The video already has 64,000 views. It'll probably get a few hundred thousand before all is said and done.

There are so many fucking moronic comments on that vid, calling the kickstarter a scam and saying the game should be free.

ZoddGutts

Game Grumps played it and made it look a lot of fun. The video already has 64,000 views. It'll probably get a few hundred thousand before all is said and done.

It's not just them but a bunch of other popular Youtube channels got to play the demo as well. The Kickstarter has gotten more recognition so it's really blown up.

Gbraga

Challenge mode wooooooooot

The secret stretch goal should be Super Shovel Knight

EDIT: Oh my god Maximilian's video is great!

mclem

Anyone got any thoughts about what advantages the PC version will have over the others? 3DS has 3D and is portable, with the Wii U I'm already fully-equipped for local multiplayer... I'm seriously contemplating getting all three, if I can figure out a reason I'd specifically benefit from PC. Wonder if it'll lend itself to user levels.

beta_fuse

This is officially my first kickstarter donation which also means I'm a first time backer! Feels good and can't wait for the Wii U version!

Nabs

It's not just them but a bunch of other popular Youtube channels got to play the demo as well. The Kickstarter has gotten more recognition so it's really blown up.

Yeah, but nothing really matches the bump this got when the GG video went live. It was at 153k when they put it up last night (6pm est). I'm interested to see how far this goes, especially when the SBF video gets put on Machinima.

My best friend and I had a slap bet last night. We bet that we would slap each other 5 times if it didn't reach 180k by 11:30 PST last night. Things were looking good. Only 200 left to go by 11. But then it dropped 1000 out of nowhere and we got really scared.

Luckily at 11:30 exactly it was 180,001. Came Really close.

Game Grump´s existence is finally justified.

I had heard of those guys but not actually watched their video. I nearly lost it when they lost it at the flying rats.

Turned it off after that though because I'd really just like most of this game to be a surprise to me. They had me at just the move set for SK alone.

kami_sama

My best friend and I had a slap bet last night. We bet that we would slap each other 5 times if it didn't reach 180k by 11:30 PST last night. Things were looking good. Only 200 left to go by 11. But then it dropped 1000 out of nowhere and we got really scared.

Luckily at 11:30 exactly it was 180,001. Came Really close.
Lol, you almost didn't make it :p

Will the update go live when they get 200k?

Genki

From the ONM interview:

Sean Velasco: We have a reputation for making difficult games, but we're trying not to make this one "Nintendo Hard". Shovel Knight should reward your learning, observation, and practice, but never feel cheap or unfair. However, if we did Challenge Mode, there would be some insanely tough challenges...

Sounds like a Hard Mode(with some effort put into it) would be a good additional stretch goal. The Challenge Mode is good and all, but...

thefro

From the ONM interview:

Sounds like a Hard Mode(with some effort put into it) would be a good additional stretch goal. The Challenge Mode is good and all, but...

They've said New Game+ is going to be harder, but it's going to be tough to balance that out right considering there's upgrades and everything.

Genki

They've said New Game+ is going to be harder, but it's going to be tough to balance that out right considering there's upgrades and everything.

Cool, but I'm really not a fan of having to unlock difficulty modes. In most cases it's just disrespectful of people's time. If it's truly designed to somehow be unbeatable from a fresh start it would have to be wildly different(which would be cool), but if not; just let people decide if they want the challenge themselves.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Too bad we couldn't get an online mode for the 4 player battle. That would make an awesome stretch goal.

Minsc

Gold Member
Why on earth does an 8-bit game need $200,000?

It only needed $75,000. The $200,000 includes expanded features from the original. Besides, $200,000 is chump change these days. Perhaps they could also give the guy in charge of updating their stretch goal graphic on the main page a raise so there isn't like a 12 hour delay.

dailypledges.png

Pretty decent day, eh?

Why on earth does an 8-bit game need $200,000?

To start, KS takes out 5% of the 200K, leaving, $190,000 left. I think their team has 5 people. If they each spend 6 months on it, assuming ZERO other costs (which clearly is not the case), they'd each make $38,000 for half of a years work, which works out to $76,000/annually if they were paid a standard salary. Certainly, that's nothing to sneeze at, but it's not like they're making millions of this, and I'm sure I'm missing out on thousands of dollars worth of expenses (utility bills, taxes, equipment fees, maybe devkits/licensing fees, and so on).

Furthermore, I expect they'll be working a bit more than 6 months on this count the time before the KS to the time after the KS.

And finally, many of the people sponsoring this are at the $10 or $15 level, meaning they're basically acting as pre-orders. For example, I spent $15 now, so when the game is released (at $10 or $15) I will not be paying anything at that point... so, some of this funding is just pre-orders, basically.

Top Bottom