• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight (PC/WiiU/3DS) Kickstarter by Yacht Club Games [Complete, ~$310K]

jett

D-Member
Not to keen on the whole 8-bit thing, you will impress me more if you were make it look good.

ibnCGQMppuJ54t.gif

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Not to keen on the whole 8-bit thing, you will impress me more if you were make it look good.

VVEKVO4.png

On topic: All this hype is making me want a Shovel Knight vinyl figure. Make it so!

BY2K

Membero Americo
I wonder if the sudden boost is because of the Game Grumps video. At this rate challenge mode is in the bag.

Well its a product and I am a consumer, so yes they do.

You don't quite understand Kickstarter, do you?

Besides, nobody makes products for random hypothetical consumers and just tosses it to the wind and hopes money floats their way. This has a target demographic, and you're just not it. They were never going to get your dollar, so no, they never cared about impressing you.

Village

If you don't like that art style, you're probably not their target consumer, so no they don't.

I can like gameplay and not like how something looks.

Also, I insulted the game so what? Criticism deal with it.

You don't quite understand Kickstarter, do you?

Besides, nobody makes products for random hypothetical consumers and just tosses it to the wind and hopes money floats their way. This has a target demographic, and you're just not it. They were never going to get your dollar, so no, they never cared about impressing you.

Oh I understand how it works, skull girls got alot of my money.

I was just trying to make a point. Admittedly it was a bit hit and miss.

They don't. You keep the fuck away from anything you don't like. That's pretty much it.

Your criticism is valid though. But that's about it.

Thanks for validating my point.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
WAAAAAHHHHH

CwK9zjd.png

Talk constructively about Shovel Knight or stop posting. Your garlic breath is clogging up the pipes.

Back on topic: Challenge mode seems guaranteed at this point. Hopefully they'll get that 4-player goodness down!

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Man past 170K now. I honestly didn't think we'd get challenge mode, but this thing has taken off like nobody's business over the last few hours.

NICE!!!!!

Salsa

I dont agree with Village but man the defense force here got even worse ever since my argument back there D:

he just said he didnt like the pixel art. Granted he put it in a somewhat annoying way but man, god forbid anyone doesnt like this game around here, lol

Village

CwK9zjd.png

Talk constructively about Shovel Knight or stop posting. Your garlic breath is clogging up the pipes.

Back on topic: Challenge mode seems guaranteed at this point. Hopefully they'll get that 4-player goodness down!

I have been, I talked about the look and how I think they should have goon with a different visual style, you are mad because I don't like the visual style presented.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
It'd be funny if they did actually have to figure out what mystery stuff is.

I'm just wondering how they procured the fine dirt from the various kingdoms within the realm of Shovel Knight. That must've taken many a fortnight!

Maedhros

I dont agree with Village but man the defense force here got even worse ever since my argument back there D:

he just said he didnt like the pixel art. Granted he put it in a somewhat annoying way but man, god forbid anyone doesnt like this game around here, lol

He said also that they didn't impress him. His criticism is valid, but they don't need to impress him.

duckroll

I don't like threads turning into defensive circlejerks either. Telling other people to "leave" a thread instead of just explaining your position is a really ugly and lame way to handle discussion in general. If the position has been explained and someone tries to actively derail a thread, that's another issue, but the kneejerk reaction is kinda bad too. :/

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I have been, I talked about the look and how I think they should have goon with a different visual style, you are mad because I don't like the visual style presented.

Well I mean come on dude. No one cares if someone doesn't like 8-bit style, no one has to like it. But where you're bein ridiculous is saying they should have "gone with a different style." The whole POINT is that it's an 8-bit game. You are saying it should be a different product entirely! Sounds like it just aint for you, which is fine, but no point in telling things to not be what they are.

Village

He said also that they didn't impress him. His criticism is valid, but they don't need to impress him.

I don't think you know how criticism works.

Well I mean come on dude. No one cares if someone doesn't like 8-bit style, no one has to like it. But where you're bein ridiculous is saying they should have "gone with a different style." The whole POINT is that it's an 8-bit game. You are saying it should be a different product entirely! Sounds like it just aint for you, which is fine, but no point in telling things to not be what they are.

*sees qoute*

ooh I promise i cun speel gud.

Anyways it isn't an 8-bit( 8-bit as in technological limits) game, its a game made now. While nostalgia has its place, I feel that this could have been its own unique thing rather than hitching a ride on the "OL SKOOL" train. It wouldn't be a different product, It would just look different.

KevinCow

Banned
i dont like fighting games. i think street fighter should be a platformer instead.

also sin city is an ugly and lazy movie because it's black & white. if they wanted to impress me, they should've used colors.

duckroll

Anyways it isn't an 8-bit game, its a game made now. While nostalgia has its place, I feel that this could have been its own unique thing rather than hitching a ride on the "OL SKOOL" train. It wouldn't be a different product, It would just look different.

It is a unique thing. It's a unique art style. You might not like it, but it's a valid art style. Limited color palettes, pixel art, chiptunes. These are not just done because they're "old", but because it's actually appealing to some people. If you don't like it, there are lots of other games with different styles which you might like more. It's silly to expect everything to cater to your preference depriving others of what they like.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Anyways it isn't an 8-bit game, its a game made now. While nostalgia has its place, I feel that this could have been its own unique thing rather than hitching a ride on the "OL SKOOL" train. It wouldn't be a different product, It would just look different.

But.. literally the first text on their kickstarter page is "A groundbreaking love letter to 8 bits!"

I am pretty sure they wanted to make an 8-bit game. It's not that crazy of a thing, I'd like to make one too. Some people think of the NES as an instrument, and you can't just replace one instrument with "a better one." You want that "NES sound." It's just the thing they're makin.

They've talked about a theoretical "16-bit" sequel in their AMA, probably just jokin around, but sounded like they'd actually be into it to. Maybe that'd be more your speed. No need to act like there's no reason for an 8-bit version to exist tho.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Let's move on, shall we? He's spamming the thread because he wants to validate some random "make-it-look-like-how-I-want-it" position. And I wouldn't be able to fit all the avatar quotes onto one page.

The arguments in here are reaching Game Grumps levels of illogical self-justification. BARRY PUT A PICTURE OF A CUPCAKE heugh

ON TOPIC: The KS total is still climbing. We could really see Challenge Mode by tomorrow under the right circumstances!

Up your pledges people! There's still 100% room on the sleepover and Yacht Party rewards! :)

I understand what you're getting at, but it would be a different product. Just because visuals take a backseat to gameplay for folks like you or I, you can't really change something major like the art style for a project and expect no blowback from interested parties. For a standard release, this would be unwise - go check out one of the Overstrike -> Fuse threads if you want to see what I mean. For a Kickstarter, this would be suicide.

Also, the Romans were making mozaics a couple thousand years ago, I think they'd be surprised to find out that they were just trying to cash in on 8-bit nostalgia. Clearly nostalgia is the impetus for it here, but it's still just a style. Pixel art can be time consuming enough to be just as expensive as other styles, also.

Village

It is a unique thing. It's a unique art style. You might not like it, but it's a valid art style. Limited color palettes, pixel art, chiptunes. These are not just done because they're "old", but because it's actually appealing to some people. If you don't like it, there are lots of other games with different styles which you might like more. It's silly to expect everything to cater to your preference depriving others of what they like.

It is a valid art style, I just dont enjoy it. And I feel this could have been a bit better in a different one. That's it. No malicious intent or anything, just think it would look cool in a more drawn style.

But.. literally the first text on their kickstarter page is "A groundbreaking love letter to 8 bits!"

I am pretty sure they wanted to make an 8-bit game. It's not that crazy of a thing, I'd like to make one too. Some people think of the NES as an instrument, and you can't just replace one instrument with "a better one." You want that "NES sound." It's just the thing they're makin.

They've talked about a theoretical "16-bit" sequel in their AMA, probably just jokin around, but sounded like they'd actually be into it to. Maybe that'd be more your speed. No need to act like there's no reason for an 8-bit version to exist tho.

Eh..while I am all on the artistic side of what games are, to me, at least. This Idea seems limited by the art style they had chosen.

That's just how I feel about it.

I understand what you're getting at, but it would be a different product. Just because visuals take a backseat to gameplay for folks like you or I, you can't really change something major like the art style for a project and expect no blowback from interested parties. For a standard release, this would be unwise - go check out one of the Overstrike -> Fuse threads if you want to see what I mean. For a Kickstarter, this would be suicide.

Visuals go along with gameplay for me, that's why I suggested it.( that sounds smugger than I wanted to sound and I am sorry for that) And I understand.

AwShucks

duckroll know's what's up. The NES is my favorite system of all time so for somebody to make a quality game in a mostly NES style is right up my alley and the majority of the reason I backed the Kickstarter.

zroid

Banned
I would chip a few bucks into a GAF pool for the $1000 tier, lol. And then the representative "director" can make them put a bunch of stupid GAF references in the game. :D

probably too late to organize something like this though

Top Bottom