• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight (PC/WiiU/3DS) Kickstarter by Yacht Club Games [Complete, ~$310K]

duckroll

Free updates is good, but are you going to want to go back to Shovel Knight for things like challenge mode or four player battle mode weeks or months afterwards? Not trying to be negative here, but I'm going to want to digest this game as a cohesive whole and not in chunks.

If I recall, the MM9 paid DLC came out weeks after the initial release, or maybe a month? I bought the game when it came out. I finished it. Later on when the DLC for the extra stage came out, along with the extra difficulty levels, and the Endless Mode, I bought them all too, and went back to playing the game.

Varies from person to person and the content offered I guess.

Does Kickstarter charge you when the project is done and ready or as soon as you back it? I've never used Kickstarter, but I'm thinking of backing Shovel Knight.

jett

D-Member
Since this game borrows most from Mega Man and Ducktales, the boxart really should have the old Capcom design.

DucktalesNESCover1.jpg
250px-Megaman2_box.jpg

STATE OF THE ART - HIGH RESOLUTION

Amazing how well these guys planned out this kickstarter and the advertisement.
I don't think there was any planning at all.

The stretch goals were made up at suggestions in comments (here) two weeks after the campaign launch.

Then, they didn't get a demo out to YouTube people until there was less than a week to go.

Before they sent that demo out, they barely crossed their original goal.

dani_dc

I pledged $10 yesterday, I'm still amazed at how much it went up in a single day, it was around 156K when I did the pledge, and a day later it's over 200K.

Very happy to hear that they are planning to deliver the base game in September, was worried that they would have to postpone the game, which I wouln't mind much, but I rather have the base game sooner rather than later, and the aditional modes will offer good reason to replay the game later.

What? What does Amazon have to do with it?

The payments are done via Amazon Payments.
Either way, the charges on the card are only done after the Kickstarter ends.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I love the way this is turning out! Playable bosses is something I always wanted to have for Megaman games, and I'm quite happy to see they reached battle mode! I love how feature-packed this'll end up being in the end, and I'd love to see them reach the Final Stretch goal; All bosses Playable in Battle would be very, very cool!

Free updates is good, but are you going to want to go back to Shovel Knight for things like challenge mode or four player battle mode weeks or months afterwards? Not trying to be negative here, but I'm going to want to digest this game as a cohesive whole and not in chunks.

Then think of it like sequel content, or a bonus mini-game add-on.

To me... yes, this is exactly the kind of content I'd like to go "back" to a game for. It's all gameplay focused, and I'd miss the rhythm and pacing of combat most from a game like this, and being able to go back and have new challenges to overcome would be great.

Also, the battlemode is a great way to extend the life of the game, and a great way to pull others into the fun, who might even decide to buy the game afterwards.

Each playable boss knight will also offer another reason to play through the game, and the Genderswap mode should offer a new look for every main baddy. Very good reasons to return to the game, as well.

Hopefully it is a few weeks to a month and not much longer. Their Kickstarter says September but their recent comments have been "holiday 2013", and that's before the battle mode addition.

All of your comments are totally reasonable - waiting for the whole game, going back to it, etc - but I like playing a completed game all at once and like being in with the zeitgeist for a game I'm really interested in playing. One thing I like about throwback games is that they're usually complete at the point of sale, and this game seems like it could take a while. I know I'm being whiny and unreasonable.

MM9 is a good comparison for rolling out content, and that worked alright. If this game is as good as MM9 then it's probably going to be my game of the year.

Man, its nice that they're receiving all of this money/support/publicity but this gonna impact the release date.

I feel like I am perpetually waiting for these download games to come out, I like this game too much to wait almost a year.

mclem

I think any midrange KS would do well to look at this last week for tips on how to advertise; SK's done great at getting the information out to interested parties recently.

duckroll

Remember to vote on Greenlight!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=132072322

And another question: Is the physical box for the PC/mac/linux versions?

It's just a physical box. There is nothing in the box afaik. They're just making a box and shipping it to everyone who pledged 50 bucks or more. So it's not a boxed version of any game, it's just an empty box. There's also a printed instruction manual since if you pledge 50 bucks or more that's part of the rewards anyway. I don't think they're going to make any DVDs or 3DS cards for the game. :p

Edit: Beaten! :(

MicH

Man, I would really love for it to reach 300k. That battle mode with all the bosses playable with be absolutely amazing. I might just up my $15 pledge to $25 (want that digital book!) if we come close

batbeg

The soundtrack at the $60 tier is a physical soundtrack, right? If so, I'm thinking I might just make this my first backed kickstarter.

I'd love to back this but I'm on total financial lockdown right now (don't ever buy a house if you want to spend your money on anything else). However, I'll be picking this up as soon as it hits the eShop.

Just changed my pledge from $15 to $50. That physical box will be mine.

I expect a ton of people to do this.

Also, the note about releasing the main game on time makes me so happy. I'm still aware it's possible for a delay, but I'm just glad it won't be due to the extra content.

It's just a physical box. There is nothing in the box afaik. They're just making a box and shipping it to everyone who pledged 50 bucks or more. So it's not a boxed version of any game, it's just an empty box. There's also a printed instruction manual since if you pledge 50 bucks or more that's part of the rewards anyway. I don't think they're going to make any DVDs or 3DS cards for the game. :p

Edit: Beaten! :(

They should totally put an empty/fake NES cartridge in the box. Put that in with the instruction manual and such and it'd be such a perfect package.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I saw this earlier in the thread, but I'm still not sure why they've decided this. Can anyone clarify? I'd much rather have this game on my 3DS than the other two platforms, but this is disappointing news.

I think it's because they'd have to get their hands dirty with networking. On the other versions, it all local, all one screen. It's much, much simpler to implement.

iirate

I think it's because they'd have to get their hands dirty with networking. On the other versions, it all local, all one screen. It's much, much simpler to implement.

Oh. I guess that since I've never done local multi on a PC game, I didn't even consider it. The news is still disappointing, but I guess it makes sense.

I don't think I'm ever going to be in a situation to use local battle mode.. but if I did, I wouldn't mind paying 10 bucks for the PC version or whatever. I'm happy with getting the 3DS version.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Sorry if the question already has been answered, but will we be able to get PAL eShop compatible codes as backers ?

Man that Duck Tales art is so good

I'm pretty sure that the box art for Duck Tales was drawn by a Disney artist. I think Disney handled the box art for just about all the 8-16 bit games (and current games) based on their IP's, just to ensure that they look like official Disney products.

Top Bottom