• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight (PC/WiiU/3DS) Kickstarter by Yacht Club Games [Complete, ~$310K]

duckroll

I would chip a few bucks into a GAF pool for the $1000 tier, lol. And then the representative "director" can make them put a bunch of stupid GAF references in the game. :D

probably too late to organize something like this though

I'm sorry, but that's pretty dumb, and I don't think this is the right game for it. They've actually said that they're actively trying to avoid feeling like a parody-game in terms of referencing other NES games and stuff directly. They want it to feel like a NES game which would have been made at that time in terms of gameplay, story, visuals, sound, etc, and not a joke internet-humor style of game filled with references like Retro City Rampage.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Challenge Mode is coming our way awww yeahh

Not to keen on the whole 8-bit thing, you will impress me more if you were make it look good.

you have bad taste

I feel this could have been a bit better in a different one. That's it. No malicious intent or anything, just think it would look cool in a more drawn style.

i think you'll find yourself in the minority on this one

zroid

Banned
I'm sorry, but that's pretty dumb, and I don't think this is the right game for it. They've actually said that they're actively trying to avoid feeling like a parody-game in terms of referencing other NES games and stuff directly. They want it to feel like a NES game which would have been made at that time in terms of gameplay, story, visuals, sound, etc, and not a joke internet-humor style of game filled with references like Retro City Rampage.

I was just kidding, really. I would contribute to a GAF pool for a representative to make legitimate community suggestions, though. :p

Oh boy, they really said that? Beautiful. *teary eyes*

That makes me want to bump my pledge up, but they seem to be beyond dandy now and it would take a lot of cash to get into any of the interesting rewards.

So I will simply double my efforts into hyping the game to friends where I can.

ArjanN

that era happened, you will impress me more with cool artstyle rather than
"HEY OL SKOO PICTA FRAMS"

The game seems interesting, I don't care for how it looks.

Pixelart is a cool artstyle. It has the added benefit or being somewhat affordable.
It's also clearly wearing it's inspirations on it's sleeve (Ducktales/ Mega Man/Castlevania etc)

Also most of these new indie games with some sort of retro look don't actually look like old games, if you really compare them there's almost always a lot more going on than those old systems could handle.

Salsa

Guacamelee is killing me with this

duckroll

You know what Shovel Knight really reminds me of in terms of commercial "retro" effects? Retro Game Challenge (Game Center CX) on the DS. The framework of the game was filled with retro pop culture references and stuff, sure, but the actual games which you unlock and play in the collection were pretty damn faithful to the era without feeling like a direct homage or reference to any particular game in those genres.

Too bad XSEED never published the sequel. :(

Salsa

duckroll I thought you lived in Japan and were part of the cool kids club that played Retro Game Challenge 2

Too bad XSEED never published the sequel. :(

Well there's always hope that Marvelous AQL poll that took place a while back asking if gamers want to see a localization for the sequel to Half Minute Hero in some kind of fashion. We can cling to that if we really want to inflict pain on ourselves.

EDIT: Oops wrong game. My mistake. It looks like I need rest. And yes, I would love to see Retro Game Challenge 2 localized but that would happen in my dreams from the looks of it. =[

duckroll

duckroll I thought you lived in Japan and were part of the cool kids club that played Retro Game Challenge 2

I don't live in Japan. I could have played the sequel in Japanese though, but it wouldn't be the same.

The Japanese and English versions of the original game are fairly different in presentation to begin with. The English one had excellent localization which took into account how the experiences of the 80s and early 90s were different for the English speaking audience. Lots of the references and stuff were based on Gamefan and EGM, etc.

I'm just sad that they never got to expand on that and do the same thing for the sequel. :(

Salsa

I don't live in Japan. I could have played the sequel in Japanese though, but it wouldn't be the same.

The Japanese and English versions of the original game are fairly different in presentation to begin with. The English one had excellent localization which took into account how the experiences of the 80s and early 90s were different for the English speaking audience. Lots of the references and stuff were based on Gamefan and EGM, etc.

I'm just sad that they never got to expand on that and do the same thing for the sequel. :(

damn. I never knew they went all out with the translation, phoenix wright style. I assumed all of that was in the game already.

yeah, that's sad :/

really hope peeps like 8-4 can make a difference on that kinda stuff.

Retro Game Challenge is one of my favorite DS games because of my love for NES-era gaming and just how GENUINE the "faux" games in that package were.

It's hard to blame XSEED for the sequel though, the license fees on that had to be awful.

Salsa

Aside from the Metroid references, isn't it just the billboards and background signs though? Those aren't exactly getting in the way.

it's not bothersome when it comes to the main gameplay but it makes me cringe every step of the way

they go way too far

they even do like a "your princess is in another castle" joke

c'mon

duckroll

Retro Game Challenge is one of my favorite DS games because of my love for NES-era gaming and just how GENUINE the "faux" games in that package were.

It's hard to blame XSEED for the sequel though, the license fees on that had to be awful.

I want to be the reasonable guy and say that too, but I can't. I'm just too bitter that XSEED showed what could have been and then took it away. :(

dtekdahl00

Neo Member
Based on the current trajectory of the Kickstarter, should I just wait for the game to come out rather than funding it? I only have interest in the Challenge Mode, and seriously doubt the 3DS version will launch for more than $15.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Based on the current trajectory of the Kickstarter, should I just wait for the game to come out rather than funding it? I only have interest in the Challenge Mode, and seriously doubt the 3DS version will launch for more than $15.

But for $25 you get a stuffed PDF art book and illustrated PDF manual with your copy of the game! :)

Think of it as getting a Collector's Edition of the game for $10 more like Adventure Time 3DS.

Salsa

4-player battle mode sounds messy. Game is pretty simplistic mechanics-wise is it not?

I hope there's other better stuff on the "mistery stuff" section, wich im sure will reach eventually

Maedhros

4-player battle mode sounds messy. Game is pretty simplistic mechanics-wise is it not?

I hope there's other better stuff on the "mistery stuff" section, wich im sure will reach eventually

It'll be a completely different mode. We don't really know how it'll be yet.

I'm... semi-sad about 4-player mode probably being included. I was hoping they'd just be able to focus on the single player stuff and not delay the game or divert focus. Now, in theory, 4-player mode should just mean the game will be delayed briefly to add that in and fine tune it, which I am totally OK with. I guess, I just don't want any damage to the single player experience to occur due to self-imposed time constraints with gradually increasing requirements due to the stretch goals.

Now, I promise to stop pooping on all the success from here on out! They're less than 2K away from challenge mode, so that's a lock and I am really pumped for that. Honestly, 200K is a lock at this point probably. Will be interesting to see if we go far enough to get some of the hidden bonuses. Challenge mode was the last goal I was super pumped for, so I'm satisfied at this point regardless of what else happens!

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
And with Challenge Mode $500 away, I am off to bed with a smile.

Though I do sorta agree with the notion that it'd be sorta nice if they didn't put too much attention on the multiplayer mode. I'd like to see what they come up with for a stretch goal after it, tho.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Backed. And about damn time too; that virt stream put me over the edge. Talking about it with a few friends today helped too, as the game sounds right up my alley.

Criminal Upper said:
Why do you weirdos not want a hype battle mode.

Every platformer should have a battle mode.
This guy gets it. I really want that 4P Battle Mode; the mere idea of it sounds incredibly fun if implemented right. I'll be excited if we reach that point.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
W2YLVgW.png

Awwwww yeaaaaaaah!

CDX

Hell Yeah!

Challenge Mode Unlocked!

X3oqpwh.png

And to think just about a week ago I was just hoping it would make it to New Game+ and was kind of worried it might not.

Edit:
Beat by Diggeh

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
I love how closely we're all monitoring the project. These guys deserve every cent. I probably shouldn't have entered Shovel Knight Fever when it's not coming out for half a year! (Sent out some cool Shovel Knight SwapNotes earlier).

Decided to send a donation to these guys. They deserve it from what I've seen so far. Can't wait to play this on the Wii U.

I think I'll go on a media black out now. :p

Jeez man, we reached Challenge mode already? So awesome the attention this game is getting. I wonder what mysterious stretch goals will YCG come up with.

Teppic

Is there any way to get both the pc and 3ds version?
I want both versions, but I don't see how to pledge for both of them.
If you want PC + 3DS without PDF manual, pledge $10 and add $15 without changing your pledge level.

If you want PC + 3DS with PDF manual, pledge $15 and add $15 without changing your pledge level.

mclem

I did feel I was missing out a bit when I imported the first game to Europe. The nostalgic experience for the US isn't quite that of the UK, and is going to be a bit different bin every country. I always felt like I was missing out, just a little.

lo zaffo

I pledged 10$ via PayPal. It is my first time.

What exactly did I do?

Will I receive a link to direct download the game when it is right time? Or something else?

I have neither a steam account, nor a kickstarter account.

Some tutorial response will be appreciated.

Top Bottom