• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight (PC/WiiU/3DS) Kickstarter by Yacht Club Games [Complete, ~$310K]

Well, just upped my pledge to $60-

I hope people aren't thinking it's a physical CD or something.

It's just the physical box

1g5NvoX.png

-And now I'm thinking about going back down to $25. Come on, that's silly. Even with updates, they can at least throw the PC version onto a CD or DVD or something.
(Yes, case + media + burning time does add an additional cost to the process. But it was a stretch goal to begin with...)

Edit: I guess it's not that bad, but I really would prefer they go the extra step. Box, manual, but no actual game?

Nabs

They need one of these youtube guys to pimp the Greenlight page. It hasn't gotten any love anywhere. I don't get why it's at the very bottom of the kickstarter page.

Polari

how would said cd fit into a 3ds

Well for the PC pledges, obviously. It's a shame they didn't plan it out a little better in the sense that they could have worked it so for $60 you get two digital copies (one PC, one 3DS/Wii U) so that way they could have just pressed a data track with the game on to the soundtrack CD. Empty box just seems weird. Nothing useless can be truly beautiful (as William Morris may or may have not once said).

So here's the important question that I'm still not sure about: does beating the bosses unlock boss powers a la Mega Man? Or is it just Mega Man themed in that there are eight themed bosses?

zroid

Banned
We definitely want to do Off-TV Play. Miiverse integration also seems cool (loved that feature in NSMBU) but we haven't decided on the specifics. Of course, the 3DS version will be full-on stereoscopic 3D, which always looks amazing on 2D games. As far as those other screens go, we aren't sure yet... but not just a map, we promise!

Not just maps, eh...

duckroll

Not just maps, eh...

They talked about this on one of the streams I watched actually. I believe they said that one thing they might consider is a sort of gag stat screen, where it keeps track of certain "stats" for a level in realtime like how much dirt you've dug up, etc. Lol. They don't want to implement anything which would take away from any other version, but they don't want it to be something pointless/boring either.

So here's the important question that I'm still not sure about: does beating the bosses unlock boss powers a la Mega Man? Or is it just Mega Man themed in that there are eight themed bosses?

No. This is not a Megaman clone.

zroid

Banned
They talked about this on one of the streams I watched actually. I believe they said that one thing they might consider is a sort of gag stat screen, where it keeps track of certain "stats" for a level in realtime like how much dirt you've dug up, etc. Lol.

Hahaha that sounds incredible

Maedhros

No. This is not a Megaman clone.

From the videos, it's what looks like, exactly. Except the combat is melee based... even the bosses are Megaman like.

I would say it is their main inspiration. We can see elements from Ducktales, Dark Souls (the designs, I guess), Castlevania...

zroid

Banned
There were 4 $1000 backers at one point, right? Seems someone had a change of heart. :(

Going to unlock Boss Knight 3 any time now. Within the next couple hours, possibly.

duckroll

From the videos, it's what looks like, exactly. Except the combat is melee based... even the bosses are Megaman like.

I would say it is their main inspiration. We can see elements from Ducktales, Dark Souls (the designs, I guess), Castlevania...

I think that the general presentation of the Kickstarter has given the impression that it is primary inspired by Megaman, sure. But that might be something which might bite them a little later (probably not a big way) when people are disappointed to learn that it is in fact not a Megaman clone at all.

The idea of there being 8 bosses with themed names and then a final boss is definitely something that invokes Megaman. But the more I learn about the game the more I realize that it's probably not going to be very much like Megaman at all other than both of them being stage based 2D sidescrollers with bosses at the end.

- You don't pick from 8 stages to decide how to tackle the game, instead you start with a fixed stage, then you pick from maybe 2 options from the map after that, and after you clear those a few more options open up, etc, before it starts filtering back to the fixed path of the end game. It's more like UN Squadron.

- You don't get boss weapons or any sort of themed upgrades from bosses. Instead you collect money and you can upgrade you abilities/health/subweapon(s)/etc. The only main weapon in the game for the Shovel Knight is the shovel. Subweapons are stuff you might find hidden in a stage like Castlevania.

Usually when people think of a Megaman clone, they think of a non-linear action game where you can pick the stages you want to play from the start, and the order you choose to play the game in makes it easier or harder depending on the effectiveness of using one boss's powers against another. There will be none of that in this game as far as I can tell.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
So just to confirm.. there's no way I can pledge and get a Wii U copy out of it, is there?

BocoDragon

If you pledge $15 you can choose which platform you want the game on, PC, Wii U or 3DS.

Oh I missed that... very cool.

The only problem is that I was just the victim of credit card fraud :( My new card won't get here in a few days, and it seems that the Kickstarter ends in 44 hours.

No way to use PayPal or at least Visa Debit?

duckroll

44 hours left, $250k achieved. This is going to sail to $300k. :p

The only problem is that I was just the victim of credit card fraud :( My new card won't get here in a few days, and it seems that the Kickstarter ends in 44 hours.

Kickstarter uses Amazon Payment, so you should be able to use a Visa debit. If you want to use Paypal they have a Paypal contribution page here: http://yachtclubgames.com/shovel-knight-paypal/

Kickstarter uses Amazon payments so you can use a debit card.

Edit: ^^^^ or that ^^^^^

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Backed! Now, which of these magnificent platforms do I want my digital copy on?

BocoDragon

44 hours left, $250k achieved. This is going to sail to $300k. :p

Kickstarter uses Amazon Payment, so you should be able to use a Visa debit. If you want to use Paypal they have a Paypal contribution page here: http://yachtclubgames.com/shovel-knight-paypal/

Kickstarter uses Amazon payments so you can use a debit card.

Edit: ^^^^ or that ^^^^^

Thanks everyone! that is awesome.

I'm sure I can just buy the game off Wii U Shop, but this is the proper way to do it I think....

Doczu

Holy fuck! This kickstarter launched into the sky. Never thought it will achieve that ammount of money. Well, I'm not saying no to those extra tiers :)

MicH

Decided to up my pledge to $25 for that PDF book. Hope it reaches 300k, but it doesn't seem likely. It has really slowed down

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
They should really try to setup a Humble Store applet, too. They allow for preorders and make distributing Steam keys fairly simple.

The "v" in "Shovel Knight" should really be a downward-aiming shovel; it'd easily represent the "v" and potentially look great as a title screen/logo.

Decided to up my pledge to $25 for that PDF book. Hope it reaches 300k, but it doesn't seem likely. It has really slowed down

Eh, its still not outside of the realm of possibility. It only needs like 1200 an hour to reach the goal. Who knows, there might be a last day surge as well

teeg

The "v" in "Shovel Knight" should really be a downward-aiming shovel; it'd easily represent the "v" and potentially look great as a title screen/logo.

I feel they are kinda already doing this with the 'v' breaking the top part of the K. It's representing the shovel breaking ground. To replace it with an actual shovel I think would lessen the look of the logo.

A little animation of the v dropping down and breaking the top of the K with a satisfying 8 bit sound could definitely work on a title screen though.

What they could do, too late for the kickstarter though, is partner up with someone who makes custom NES cartridge things and make a fake NES cart with Shovel Knight art.

I've seen some that act as USB hard drives so it could even have the game on them. This looks like they just mod existing carts though, would probably make more sense to find someone to manufacture (3D print?) new ones.

il_570xN.402414584_41et.jpg

I'll mention this in the "design hangouts" I can attend. They said they'll listen to most requests.

Awesome! Just a random thought I had while looking at the logo, would be fun to see them implemet

I feel they are kinda already doing this with the 'v' breaking the top part of the K. It's representing the shovel breaking ground. To replace it with an actual shovel I think would lessen the look of the logo.

A little animation of the v dropping down and breaking the top of the K with a satisfying 8 bit sound could definitely work on a title screen though.

Hey, that sounds good too!

Top Bottom