• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight (PC/WiiU/3DS) Kickstarter by Yacht Club Games [Complete, ~$310K]

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
FYI, asked about the possibility of a $25 PC + WiiU/3DS tier or a $30 WiiU + 3DS tier in the stream. YCG said they were looking into it as they'd gotten many requests for that sort of thing, and hoped to have an answer on it soon (maybe after the weekend)

Speaking of that, I asked them the other day if the eShop price was going to be $15 and they said they imagined it would be around $10.

Metallix87

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/yachtclubgames/shovel-knight/posts/440878

stretchGoals.gif

I hope we at least get to $100k.

I actually suggested Ms. Shovel Knight mode in the comments to yesterday's post, my idea is in pixels omg.

But I am a little bummed that it seems to be at a pretty high stretch level!

Minsc

Gold Member
I'll pledge if it looks like they're going to make the Linux goal.

Wouldn't it make more sense to pledge to help get the Linux goal funded (if that's what is important to you)? Then if it looks like it's not going to make it, remove your pledge.

Polari

Wouldn't it make more sense to pledge to help get the Linux goal funded (if that's what is important to you)? Then if it looks like it's not going to make it, remove your pledge.

No, because I'll probably end up forgetting to remove my pledge.

Almost there! They should hit their goal today.

I'm hoping they get to $100,000 - achievements and new game plus seem like good, reasonable ideas, whereas I don't care too much about the others until challenge mode at $180k.

Imagine trying to capitalize on the hot button issue of gender equality by holding a "gender swap" mode hostage for over 2x your asking price

I hate stretch goals in general, but that shit is downright gross. Worse than the people who are on Unity and have Mac/Linux support listed as a "stretch goal"

Gender swap has nothing to do with gender equality or politics or whatever the fuck you have in mind. It's a fun subculture trope, and I would love to see them hit that goal.

Sushigod7

Wow finally that last 10k got funded really fast which is great. Hope the love keeps growing and we get more goodies. My 3DS is waiting!

Already in at $15, will increase for sure if they announce the 3DS+WiiU tier option. If another tier isn't announced then I'll probably get it for WiiU first and 3DS later down the line.

Also we need to get to that New game + stretch goal, none of the others interest me that much.

clem84

Gold Member
I absolutely LOVE the old school art style. The overworld map, the classic font for text... This thing oozes with charm.

Coolwhip

Banned
Im usually not the biggest fan of those nostalgia 8-bit games, but the trailer was pretty cool. Funny quirky character and great music.

zroid

Banned
Im usually not the biggest fan of those nostalgia 8-bit games, but the trailer was pretty cool. Funny quirky character and great music.

I think therein lies the difference between something which tries to exploit nostalgia as an excuse for lazy game design, and something which is interesting in its own right and employs this style because it's well-suited to what they're trying to accomplish.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
That's more 16-bit than 8-bit, right?

Yeah, they're really good to have to double their efforts to get the stretch goals.

I REALLY hope they hit Gender Swap mode, but that looks pretty far off.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
If I could PayPal them and it would add to the stretch goals without going through Kick starter I would. I just don't think I wanna give KS any money anymore for many reasons...

zroid

Banned
They should have switched the tiers of the Achievements and Gender Swap stretch goals

I hope they plan on updating that gif by the way, lol

Yacht Club put out a small update after the accomplished stretch goal. New backer options and reward tiers are being discussed with an update coming tomorrow regarding that. Nothing mentioned on rearranging the stretch goals but we'll see.

And finally, The Enchantress:

Something about the costs of the stretch goals irks me a little.

Let's look at the Gender Swap mode (since it was the one I suggested it, haha). It's $15,000 above the previous goal. I mean, we're looking at what would (at the current explanation) be two alternate sprite sets (female shovel knight and male empress) and some alternate lines of dialogue.

There could be more to it than that that they're not letting on to, but in my previous experience as a indie game auteur, this feels like it would be an afternoon or two of work. Maybe a tinge more if they're going all out with the new sprite sets and not just making Shovel Knight pink with a bow or something.

$15,000 is what they're asking for for Mac/Linux ports, which makes sense to me.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Something about the costs of the stretch goals irks me a little.

Let's look at the Gender Swap mode (since it was the one I suggested it, haha). It's $15,000 above the previous goal. I mean, we're looking at what would (at the current explanation) be two alternate sprite sets (female shovel knight and male empress) and some alternate lines of dialogue.

There could be more to it than that that they're not letting on to, but in my previous experience as a indie game auteur, this feels like it would be an afternoon or two of work. Maybe a tinge more if they're going all out with the new sprite sets and not just making Shovel Knight pink with a bow or something.

$15,000 is what they're asking for for Mac/Linux ports, which makes sense to me.

Maybe they put it so high simply because they don't think it's very important. Like 'eh if we get to that much we'll do it' type of thing.

Maybe they put it so high simply because they don't think it's very important. Like 'eh if we get to that much we'll do it' type of thing.
I guess so. I just feel like if some of the goals were set at smaller intervals they would be generating some more hype and traffic to the project. Going by the initial $75,000 for the entire game, why not put achievements and gender swap mode and tiny little features like that at $5000 increases? Add in a few more little prizes at $5000 goals and then get to the meatier stuff like Mac/Linux ports, Challenge Mode, Battle Mode. And because they've picked up extra cash from the easy to implement features, they could list these as smaller increment goals as well, which would give backers a feeling of excitement and easily progressing through more and more goals.

Or maybe I'm insane and out of touch with the costs of game development now. Could be.

I see that as well. Who knows...if Shovel Knight is successful maybe the sequel could be a Ms. Shovel Knight installment the same way Ms. Splosion Man was to the original Splosion Man.

In related news, Yacht Club is livestreaming a bit of the animating process. They are currently on Propeller Knight.

Top Bottom