• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight (PC/WiiU/3DS) Kickstarter by Yacht Club Games [Complete, ~$310K]

This is the first time I'm working on a Western game! It's quite exciting! Shovel Knight and I are a good fit. So... let's get shovelin'? - Manami Matsumae

That is just beautiful. I would cry each time I read that if I were on their team.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I'm nostalgia'ing (I know it's not a real word, shut up) the fuck out reading about this game. How did I not hear about this until now?!

goldenpp72

Is there a chance this type of game hits 360/Ps3? I own a Wii U and 3ds as well so it's not a big deal but i'm curious if something inhibits them to do those versions outside of resources?

duckroll

Is there a chance this type of game hits 360/Ps3? I own a Wii U and 3ds as well so it's not a big deal but i'm curious if something inhibits them to do those versions outside of resources?

Anything is possible, but right now they can only afford to focus on the platforms listed and they don't want to overpromise. If the game is well funded I'm sure they'll try to put it on as many platforms as possible.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

I really hope so... at least after they get the promised platforms handled. If it doesn't hit PS3 then I may never play this :(

Teppic

Updated gif
01309f44365db8ce19098202cf722f2b_large.gif

deleted

This looks awesome. I'll get it, when it's done. Hopefully it is successful, so we can get some kind of Shovel Knight X in 16bit.

Voted for it on greenlight.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
4 Player Battle Mode would be excellent, even if it was only local play on 3DS. Is there some level of support that allows me to get 3DS and PC copies? I'd probably only chip in for the PC version if there's no way (outside of doing Paypal/Amazon).

Getting closer and closer. PAX probably helped a bit so I hope the pace doesn't start to die down. I'd hate for this to be one of those projects that gets withing a couple thousand of the goal but doesn't quite get there.

C'mon all you Duck Tales HD fans, pitch in!

It'll get there. Having played the game at PAX East and having spoken with a member of the team right there, I can't imagine that it wouldn't.

ezekial45

Banned
Does the game have a character upgrade system or a series of items together? I'm trying to see what new game + is for exactly. I don't want it to be a pointless add on if it's counter to the core design of the game.

It's been only one day with sub-2k pledges, there's no way it won't make Playable Boss Knight, especially after the collab with Manami Matsumae was announced :)

Teknoman

Virt AND the composer that worked on the original Mega Man games?

ib2y5utSOF1iVD.gif

EDIT: She did Nitro Man? Oh man this soundtrack is going to be insane.

KevinCow

Banned
Oh wow. This is going to look amazing on the 3DS. I mean it already looks great, but look at all those background layers!

zroid

Banned
Prediction...

Shovel Knight > DuckTales Remastered

Wow, the hilarity of WayForward making a DuckTales game while ex-WayForward guys are making a game clearly inspired by DuckTales only just struck me. I'm sure everyone else picked up on this during PAX. :p

I agree, btw

Oh wow. This is going to look amazing on the 3DS. I mean it already looks great, but look at all those background layers!

yep and that's why I'll be getting it on 3DS instead of Wii U. Screw HD!

Wow, the hilarity of WayForward making a DuckTales game while ex-WayForward guys are making a game clearly inspired by DuckTales only just struck me. I'm sure everyone else picked up on this during PAX. :p

I agree, btw

I think the fact that being inspired by and not copying will benefit the game. I loved DuckTales as a kid but I'm hesitant to go back to it because most of the time I've done it with previous games, they don't live up to my memories. I just don't find some elements as fun now as I did then.

SK is at least going to be free of certain expectation and has the ability to improve upon things we find more fun now as opposed to twenty years ago. Just my thought on it at least. *chuckles* I could be overly hyping it in my brain but I just have a good vibe about it.

Hero

I asked the devs at PAX East if there was any kind of relation between Ducktales remastered being announced at the show right after Shovel Knight was announced and they said it was just coincidence but they did see their other co-workers working on the game months and months ago obviously.

Hiltz

With the exception of Bioshock Infinite and Luigi's Mansion 2 as well as WayForward's upcoming 3DS titles, Shovel Knight is one of the very few Western-made games I'd want to play this year.

thefro

The level design looks really good in that demo... a mix of Megaman/Castlevania/Ducktales/Zelda II.

Hope they have some sort of boss doors in the game (maybe a boss drawbridge?)... feels weird without them.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Kinda turned off by the narrator in that video with his WHOA MAN SO RETRO and WHOA MAN SO BRILLIANT for the simplest stuff. Game looked good, but you'd think he literally hadn't touched an NES era game since the NES.

ANYWAY maybe I'll fund this yep. Kinda torn on the version tho. I almost forgot about how the 3DS one would "be 3D," which sure was fuckin sweet in Mutant Mudds. But playin on the Wu-pad would be nice too. HMMMMM.

zroid

Banned
Kinda turned off by the narrator in that video with his WHOA MAN SO RETRO and WHOA MAN SO BRILLIANT for the simplest stuff.

yeah I know :V

Why's it so hard to get some decent footage without any annoying voiceover. If it were a dev speaking, that'd be different.

VariantX

alright, that 23 min demo sold the game to me.

backed it immediately upon conclusion.

As if my 3DS didn't already have enough shit on it as is...

Top Bottom