• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment |OT| Steel Thy Scythe

Regiruler

How do you download the update? Can this only be done with the digital version on Wii U? I've tried a few times now and I can't seem to trigger my Wii U to update

Going to new game just asks me if I want to play as Shoval Knight or Plague Knight :/

I've tried googling it and can't find anything
Go to the eshop, there should be something somewhere.

Honestly this is way far down on my priority list.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I have 90 hours on the 3DS version, but I think I may play this on WiiU so I can use that NES Classic controller.

oni-link

Go to the eshop, there should be something somewhere.

Honestly this is way far down on my priority list.

Nevermind, apparently it's not out yet in EU regions on Wii U yet

Their site just has April TBC down as the release date

I assume it will just download a patch whenever they get around to releasing it

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
What kind of game is this? I've never quite understood the genre. Platformer?

yeah, platformer. Shovel Knight is a Castlevania/Mega Man/ Zelda 2/Super Mario cross of types.

It's a thing of beauty if you grew up on the NES. It's next to Mega Man 2 as my most favorite games of all time.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
If Shovel Knight is a melee-Mega Man clone, then Specter is a Ninja Gaiden clone. I've only played two levels and this is clicking with me quicker than Plague Knight did.

... Playing with the NES Classic controller feels so natural with this game. Lots of fun, even if it's not alot of comfort lol.

yeah, platformer. Shovel Knight is a Castlevania/Mega Man/ Zelda 2/Super Mario cross of types.

It's a thing of beauty if you grew up on the NES. It's next to Mega Man 2 as my most favorite games of all time.

I totally agree. I've played tons of retro inspired indie titles and Shovel Knight is simply a cut above the rest for me. I love the Mega Man series (especially 2) and the CV series (and Duck Tales which this game sorta borrows the pogo shovel move from) and it just felt so awesome to play. I've replayed it countless times and loved the previous DLC so I absolutely can't wait to play Specter Knights DLC next week!

jonno394

Just spent an hour doing the (hub spoiler)
Horace Minigame where you climb the tower. I kept panicking and dying but persevered thinking "there'll be a good reward for this....the confetti thing he pops at the end made me laugh though

Want to grab this for my Switch. I have the original on Wii U but never beat it so I was wondering if the Treaure Trove edition comes with all three separate campaigns?

Thanks

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Want to grab this for my Switch. I have the original on Wii U but never beat it so I was wondering if the Treaure Trove edition comes with all three separate campaigns?

Thanks

Yup, it does. If you already have it on WiiU, then you get upgraded to Treasure Trove for free.

Indelible

Just finished this on Wii U and it is really close to being as good as Shovel Knight's campaign, loved how precise the controls were and seeing Specter Knight's tragic back story was really cool.

oni-link

Is this officially out on PSN? I really wanna play it on my Vita but I can't tell if it has dropped or not.

Yeah I wanted to play it on Wii U (EU region here) but according to the Devs site, Wii U and PS3/4/V are down as April TBC for EU regions

No idea when we'll actually get to play this

Anyone going to play this on NA 3DS? It's out in a couple of hours. This thread has surprisingly little excited behind it, given how liked Shovel Knight is... Personally, I'm looking forward to it a lot!

Also, the gender swap mode is launching with this, right? Anyone excited for that? I thought it seemed pretty cool!

oni-link

Anyone going to play this on NA 3DS? It's out in a couple of hours. This thread has surprisingly little excited behind it, given how liked Shovel Knight is... Personally, I'm looking forward to it a lot!

Also, the gender swap mode is launching with this, right? Anyone excited for that? I thought it seemed pretty cool!

Do you know if it's also out in EU regions in an hour?

Yeah, the gender swap is part of the Specter patch. It's pretty cool, I like that you can customize which character has which sex.
Note though that it only is for Shovel Knight mode (for now at least, I think Yacht Club said they're looking into making it for every mode)

Socreges

Banned

I'm subscribed to this thread and awaiting the 3DS release.

The way the updates/releases are scattered definitely mitigates much hype.

oni-link

I'm subscribed to this thread and awaiting the 3DS release.

The way the updates/releases are scattered definitely mitigates much hype.

It's also really annoying, I still have no idea when and how this game will update for EU regions

I assume this week and I assume it will just download a patch and I can start a new game and select the new character, but who knows?

kyo2004

I thought they gonna put the update at 00:00 EST, but the I remember that Nintendo always has set the updates at 12:00EST (or PST?)...

Waiting patiently for play Specter on my 3DS... :)

Edit: Out on 3DS (NA)... Yay!!... :D

Owensboro

I was on some serious work trips over the past two weeks and blew through Shovel Knight and Plague night. I went to play this and..... I kind of hate the movement? I'm not a fan of the jumps over instant-death-pits changing from jump timing (Shovel) and explosion-floating-madness (Plague) to what is now "hit the button at the right time or you're dead." I've fallen in so many pits not because I didn't line up my jump correctly but because I either hit the button too early (slash downward into a pit) or too late (completely miss the window trying to overcompensate for #1). I don't know why this movement isn't clicking with me

If Shovel Knight is a melee-Mega Man clone, then Specter is a Ninja Gaiden clone. I've only played two levels and this is clicking with me quicker than Plague Knight did..

Man...maybe that's it. Shovel and Plague Knight are just too fresh in my mind when it comes to movement. I need to take a week or two off and then treat this like a new Ninja Gaiden game.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Oh shit, had no idea the update dropped for Wii U. Ironically I just switched over to Mario Kart 8 last Thursday. I'll have to pop the disc back in today to get that sweet sweet update goodness.

Playing through the base game, then plague knight then spectre knight!

Getting the "feat" for destroying every checkpoint. Everything up to Propeller Knight Stage 4~ Hours. Propeller Knight Stage: 5+ hours -_- I now hate that stage.

Yacht said they'd be pumping out Treasure Trove physical copies for Switch after they've fully patched Shovel Knight. You've gotta admire how they want to implement simple plug and play with a physical version of the game. I'm waiting for that until I play it, game looks great.

TheCed

So... If I have the free DLC, I'll only get 2 bronze trophies for something that is Platinum Worthy with the standalone game ?

Sapiens

I'm confused. I need to card version of the 3Ds game to play the update? I downloaded it, but nothing happened as I have the digital version.

Very confused.

jacobeid

Banned
I'm confused. I need to card version of the 3Ds game to play the update? I downloaded it, but nothing happened as I have the digital version.

Very confused.

....what? The update for 3DS it out in North America and it doesn't matter if you own the game digitally or physically.

Boot your game. Does the title screen say "Shovel of Hope"? Just start game, choose a new slot, and choose which campaign you'd like to start.

Sapiens

....what? The update for 3DS it out in North America and it doesn't matter if you own the game digitally or physically.

Boot your game. Does the title screen say "Shovel of Hope"? Just start game, choose a new slot, and choose which campaign you'd like to start.

The update on eshop says cart only and I could not find any others. I downloaded it and started the game and it still says plague of shadows.

Syril

The update on eshop says cart only and I could not find any others. I downloaded it and started the game and it still says plague of shadows.
I ran into this problem earlier. You have to do to the page for the Shovel Knight game itself and it'll have an option to download a different update.

For 3DS:

If you already own Shovel Knight vanilla, go to the page for Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove.

Even if it says it's $25 or whatever. Go there, and there will be a button at the bottom for the update. It's free.

duckroll

Lmao this just highlights how garbage the eShop on the 3DS is. The entire online framework really. Why doesn't the game just check and auto download available updates if you're online?

Regiruler

I took a peek at what the boss for the lich yard is in the portal, and I have to say I didn't expect Phantom Striker to be moving up in the world.

Unless that's bait

Sapiens

I ran into this problem earlier. You have to do to the page for the Shovel Knight game itself and it'll have an option to download a different update.

For 3DS:

If you already own Shovel Knight vanilla, go to the page for Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove.

Even if it says it's $25 or whatever. Go there, and there will be a button at the bottom for the update. It's free.

Thanks guys!

Wow - efffff the eshop.

Top Bottom