• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment |OT| Steel Thy Scythe

rackham

Banned
I'm really loving the dlc so far. Feels fresh as hell with the amount of new sprites and animations.

Don't know why people shit on plague of shadows. I think I like playing as plague knight more than spectre

Velcro Fly

Finished the Knight stages.

I think I played them in about two sittings. I know I've played five of them tonight.

Might be my favorite campaign so far. Plague I felt like I just couldn't input things properly or I constantly had a setup that made things harder on me. Specter just feels good. It feels much simpler to control. I've died a few times here and there but it mostly feels like my own mistake instead of just not having the control scheme down like in Plague.

Do I need all the red skulls to get all the curios? I'm missing one or two in pretty much all the Knight stages but I'm not sure I want to go back and replay them to find them before finishing the main game.

Opa-Pa

And done. Wow, that was super good, probably the best in the trilogy, that final boss was great too.

Man, even the story was pretty good (not that the past two were bad in the slightest). The moment you realize how the plot will end based on what you know from the base game... :(

Do I need all the red skulls to get all the curios? I'm missing one or two in pretty much all the Knight stages but I'm not sure I want to go back and replay them to find them before finishing the main game.

You probably found out on your own, but you don't need all of them. I missed like 7 and still got all the curios.

I'm really loving the dlc so far. Feels fresh as hell with the amount of new sprites and animations.

Don't know why people shit on plague of shadows. I think I like playing as plague knight more than spectre

Seems like a difficulty curve/control issues that divided opinion on Plague Knight. He's somewhat difficult to use at first, but once you get his charge shots down its possible to clear sections stylishly without ever touching the ground. I loved the Plague Knight DLC myself, just waiting for the EU update to go live so I can finally try the new DLC (should be live sometime today, depending when the PSN store updates...)

Auctopus

Just updated and played some on PS4.

I wasn't that in to the Plague of Shadows control scheme but I've instantly adopted the Spectre of Torment style. I've only played Plains and Lost City and the latter was just incredible. Love the chaining of platforming and combat. How do these guys do it?

Had a quick look at the different cloaks before I turned off and looks like lots of chance for experimentation.

The only thing I'm not super keen on is the sticky wall jumping, I feel like it could be a little more agile.

I finished it and I'm kind of iffy on it. I liked it a lot at first but as time went on the sluggishness of Specter's walljump began to drag on me. I can sort of appreciate that they tried their own style instead of copying MMX 1:1, but eh. Maybe I'm just bad. I can't remember if I had this sort of issue with Shovel or Plague, it's been ages since I played them. The sheer amount of effort that went into remixing the stages and bosses is really great though, and it just underlines how crazy it is that this is free dlc.

As for the plot, I constantly had one question in the back of my mind: did
Reize's
creator give them more money or something?

oni-link

I checked the Wii U version after the eShop update today (EU regions) and this is still not out yet

I think EU PSN got the game yesterday, but the Wii U version is not up yet, so I guess that means it will go up on 11/5, when their site is still saying April

This is such a joke

Edit: Actually they did post an update:

UPDATE 4/28: Despite our best effort and brightest optimism, we have found a few unexpected issues which are holding up different versions at the final submission step. We’re doing everything we can to have these resolved as soon as possible, but since this last step involves other teams, we are not able to provide an exact release date. We really can hear back on almost any day. We’re sorry for this delay, but hope to have you playing the latest version soon!

It's now May TBD for XB1/3DS/Wii U in EU regions.
I look forward to that changing to June TBD later on this month

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Finished Specter this past week. Some thoughts:

1. Really surprised there was not a "run back" stage like the other two campaigns.
2. LOVED the OST, all of the remixes were great! I wish there was an option to switch it out with Shovel or Plague and choose which OST you want to listen to.
3. I still need to finish the Tower climb, I got so close!
4. This clicked with me a lot more than Plague. I think I want to go back and try to get all of the Feats in this one like I did in Shovel Knight.
5. I can definitely see myself speedrunning this game. I still need a few more playthroughs to learn, but yeah, just moving around in this one was a lot of fun.
6. The final boss was... interesting. It was okay. Not what I was expecting!
7. I didn't get the "grind on the ground" armor, I need to do that and go back through the game with that. I bet that changes a lot of how you approach levels.
8. So King Knight is next? Did I read somewhere that's supposed to be coming before the end of 2017?
9. Between the WiiU and 3DS versions, I have over 100 hours in this game!!
10. This is my #2 favorite game of all time. Mega Man 2 is still my favorite, but Shovel Knight is a solid #2, and this game keeps getting better with all the updates. This game was made for me.

I wish I had someone to co-op this game with me. :( Online co-op anyone?

Velcro Fly

I did finish this the other day. I'm not sure if it is a random pattern thing or the game took pity on me but I died a couple times on the second to last boss fight and then got a different pattern where the boss just stayed in range so I could just keep up the combo slashing.

Also I will say the slashing as Specter always felt amazing to do. Even when I was just jumping to a platform that contained an enemy. Being able to slash them on the way down and either kill or weaken them was great.

I may double dip and buy this on the Switch since I want to play Shovel of Hope again and maybe give Plague another try.

I'm struggling with that tower mini game, even with certain items that should make it easier.

They should change Horace's text because I don't do admirably at all!

Beat Specter Knight's campaign a few days ago. Overall, it felt a bit shorter than Shove and Plague's, but after getting used to him, it felt a lot better moving around as him than it did with Plague Knight.

Also, I was in a super market the other day, and saw official Shovel Knight Mad Libs for sale. Looking it up, Yacht Club did announce they were a thing, but I didn't know that, so that was a weird surprise.

Finished all but one of the feats in this game (speed run in 90 mins). I love it. The new movement options rock and make for a really nice, speedy game (I'm actually looking forward to the speed run), and the levels and bosses are remixed to such a point that it basically feels like a brand new game. Makes me wonder how King Knights DLC will work now. Can't wait to play that either. Shovel Knight is definitely the game that keeps on giving!

RRockman

Banned

I dunno about that, spectre kight flows so much better than shovel knight. I like Spectre's smooth movement too. It's like the homing attack done right, a variation of Sonic Rush's version. I really hope Yacht Clubs new IP has movement like this.

J@hranimo

Banned
That depends on what system you have and what region you're in

I already beat it on the Switch, I'm just curious when the others are gonna be able to play it :)

I see Wii U owners are gonna get it this week. More should play this DLC, it's really good.

And now done with the speed run. Super lenient time wise, I probably finished with a good 15+ minutes to spare, and that's with making several mistakes. The boomerang sythe weapon + the slide cape combo worked perfectly for me, chops off nice amounts of time with ease.

Also - anyone tackling the "no darkness/will" trophy should grab (and upgrade) the leach powerup that restores will. Makes things much easier. Also go with the flame shield powerup as this makes the first phase of the final boss way easier (ditto with this fight in new game plus) as it nullifies the fireballs when the boss is below you.

v0rtikal

this game is so good! I really love the fact that they continue to add new content (specially for free).
Currently playing as Specter Knight and Challenge Mode...even the other day played co-op with my gf.

Games like this one are rare gems, that's why I double dipped Steam + Physical PS4

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Hot damn is Shovel Knight the gift that keeps on giving. While the core experience is only $25, its sheer greatness and regular updates has succeeded in getting me to triple-dip, buy physical soundtracks, merch, preorder the art book...

Yacht Club has a tough act to follow. I hope they aren't essentially forced into a Shovel Knight 2 by its success, or can at least grow to accommodate a new IP in conjunction with an SK2.

Hale-XF11

Yacht Club does it again. Had a lot of fun with my play through of Specter Knight. Now to see if I can complete that tower challenge...

Since it finally dropped on PAL WiiU Friday I've just got through playing the Specter campaign and daaaaaamn that was some great stuff.

I may well like it even more than the base Shovel Knight campaign, sure my love for Scythes (and they even got a claw move!) helps the case but in general I felt the aerial homing slash mechanic was awesomely novel and led to some quick thinking platforming segments.
Between that and the rail grinding it was like having a touch of Sonic in the action platformer. Highly recommended, I hope this isn't flying under the radar.

I played through this over a few days last week, rotating out from revisiting Retro City Rampage DX... loved it. There's flecks of Ninja Gaiden II in it's rapport, and that really resonated with me.

I backed Shovel Knight and always liked it, but felt it was a bit overrated (or rather, rated exactly as favorably as it should be, but acclaim/attention is finite and many great games are consequentially underrated). This made me appreciate what they've done a lot more, and tore down my wall of cynicism. They really deserve some love for this game, and I kind of want what they've done to go on for a long time with more characters, stories, sprites, worlds, mechanics concepts and tilesets.

Crocodile

Just got around to finishing this. Wall Cling ability felt weirdly finicky to me and resulted in a lot of deaths. Sometimes the auto-aim of the aerial slash also tripped me up a few times. Otherwise this was great gameplay-wise :)

I'm surprised though, isn't
Reize
the OC of a high tier backer?
I would not have expected them to elevate a backer character from a cameo boss fight to an important part of the narrative.
Also that scene where Donovan and Luan
reach the amulet and then Donovan lays into Luan (basically resulting in his death)
seemed to require a lot of suspension of disbelief on my end? Overall though it was a solid narrative and flowed into Shovel of Hope well. Hopefully with a prequel and a side-story complete, King Knight's campaign is a sequel story.

Holy shit, you guys. I'm not sure if it was already known, but Yacht Club just tweeted this cheat code to enable Mega Man X-like wall-jumping in Specter of Torment.

GOTG!

(And yes, the code has "Maverick Hunter" in it, so good!)

Can you apply this to a New Game Plus or does it have to be a totally new game? Do you enter this code instead of a profile name when making a new game?

Jarsonot

Hey all!

I got the treasure trove, decided to start with shovel knight. Do I need to beat shovel knight to select a different campaign, or do I have to start a new save or something?

In the very beginning I could select which campaign, but don't see any way to get back there (after selecting my save file).

Seems pretty lame to have different campaigns on different saves, so I'm guessing maybe when I beat shovel knight the first time I'll get the option to hop back and forth between campaigns?

-Gozer-

Hey all!

I got the treasure trove, decided to start with shovel knight. Do I need to beat shovel knight to select a different campaign, or do I have to start a new save or something?

In the very beginning I could select which campaign, but don't see any way to get back there (after selecting my save file).

Seems pretty lame to have different campaigns on different saves, so I'm guessing maybe when I beat shovel knight the first time I'll get the option to hop back and forth between campaigns?

You choose what campaign you want when you start a new save. You can't jump to different campaigns on one save.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Huh. Not that big of a deal, but seems weird. =)

Thanks!

It is a tad unintuitive. But I absolutely suggest playing all content in the order it was released...the most satisfying and enjoyable path to true shovel justice!

Thud

Finished it in about four and a half hours. I died almost a hundred times lol.

Feels like a good entry to speedrun through, the gameplay is very satisfying. I still prefer plague knight, but Ninja Gaiden X was pretty cool.

v0rtikal

YES! after so many tries...

npuEdRV.png

v0rtikal

I did not use any power-up to finish the mini game. It just needs patience (a lot sometimes).
On a side note, I just finished Specter Knight's campaign and it was a blast to play through. Can't wait for King Knight's DLC.

Okamid3n

Did 3 or 4 levels plus the tower minigame challenge.

Man, I don't know if it's just because I'm in the right mood, but I'm loving this more than the first campaign for some reason.

The tower climbing mini-game was so much fun. I love how the sections of the mini-game are in random orders, so that it's still designed (and not randomly generated stuff), but you don't end up having to redo the same beginning sections over and over trying to get to the sections that trip you up.

I don't know if that sentence made sense, I can't articulate it well.

heringer

Guys, I never played Shovel Knight. Could I play Specter of Torment first, considering it's cheaper, and then buy the main game if I like Specter? Any problem in playing this order?

Wamb0wneD

Guys, I never played Shovel Knight. Could I play Specter of Torment first, considering it's cheaper, and then buy the main game if I like Specter? Any problem in playing this order?

Not really, but they don't really play that much alike. Also that way you would pay more money than by just getting the treasure trove. (Which isn't even all of the content, it includes another campaign still in the making). If you want to get one of the campaigns seperately to test things out you might as well want to spend it on the original one no? Don't get the Plague Knight one first though. it's mad fun for some people and others didn't like it at all.

heringer

Not really, but they don't really play that much alike. Also that way you would pay more money than by just getting the treasure trove. (Which isn't even all of the content, it includes another campaign still in the making). If you want to get one of the campaigns seperately to test things out you might as well want to spend it on the original one no? Don't get the Plague Knight one first though. it's mad fun for some people and others didn't like it at all.

Isn't Treasure Trove just the base game? On the Switch eshop there's only Treasure Trove for $25 and Specter of Torment for $10.

moeman

It is a tad unintuitive. But I absolutely suggest playing all content in the order it was released...the most satisfying and enjoyable path to true shovel justice!

I tried playing the original shovel knight campaign and just couldn't get into it. I think I was obsessing a little too much over getting every little secret and music note. Started specter knight's campaign and I love he variety in platforming. The rail idea is fun and destroying bosses without touching the ground is extremely rewarding.

Hopefully when I go back to shovel knight it'll click a little more and I'll have fun with it. But as it stands specter knight is just such a better character.

Top Bottom