• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 Enhanced Edition project completed

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Perfect timing. Now the fans can always play this if the remake turns out bad. Downloading now!

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
sacha baron cohen dancing GIF

Vick

Gold Member
I'll just copy/paste what I wrote in the other Thread, in hope of someone from the team reading:

Congrats Applause GIF

What a journey this was. Most insane Mod ever alongside RE4HD Project.

Flashlight reflections being not only restored but enhanced and expanded to insane extents blew my mind. Same for that new water.. new car models with shadows, health option, all the countless little fixes.. this version is now finally perfect.
And the video itself is a masterpiece. Gonna miss these so much.

Project deserves a new release 100%, on Steam as a purchasable Remaster and physical release for Console.

I just wish they made some of the artistic changes optional. Why does a refrigerator need a power cable when you're in some otherworldly place with monsters and the ability to revive dead people? It doesn't have to be logical. In fact, I'd say it's way creepier to open a fridge in the middle of an empty room and you see light coming from inside it inexplicably.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll

John Bilbo

I just wish they made some of the artistic changes optional. Why does a refrigerator need a power cable when you're in some otherworldly place with monsters and the ability to revive dead people? It doesn't have to be logical. In fact, I'd say it's way creepier to open a fridge in the middle of an empty room and you see light coming from inside it inexplicably.
Yes. There is a page full of toggleable fixes but the fridge one is missing. Maybe they could add that if you raised the issue with them?

cuIe6zH.png

Elfstar

Yeah, I love the work they've done overall but in the end they couldn't help themselves and went full Fanboy Autismo, so they had to nitpick a ton of harmless details and semi-oddities to unnecessarily "improve" and "fix" with their "brilliant" oc modifications. The cord one is one of the stupidest for sure.

nkarafo

I also didn't agree with their sewer dead end fix. In the original the dead end looked creepier because there was more sewers behind the bars. With their fix they just brick walled it to mask a visual glitch with the water.

I think they lost more that they gained here.

Thankfully, the vast majority of the fixes don't change the original art direction that drastically.

Calverz

The absolute definitive way to play this game and has been for years. Also it works and runs amazing on the rog ally incase anyone wonders. It’s super easy to install.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I just beat this... 3 times. I also tried to do a 10 star run, but failed. still 10/10 FWIW: 9 Stars. I fucked up on the Eddie fight.
They did a remarkable job. The final thing they need is a total texture replacement, other than that, it looks pristine, already.

Senua

Gold Member
When I played through recently I used this mod and started playing through at 4k, it just didn't look right to me. It was too pristine and the grain was too sharp. I changed the res to 720p and it looked perfect, grain looked correct and was closer to the IQ of the PS2 version and had that correct soft and dreamy atmosphere.

Some games were meant to be played at lower res

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
It was an incredible game, and the mod was fantastic. When I was little, I got lost in the first apartment and stopped playing. Years later, I watched the ending and all the cinematics, but playing the entire game was a completely different experience. Even though I knew the story, I was still moved. There are many elements that could be improved in the remake, but as long as they preserve this atmosphere and story flow, there's not much they can do wrong.

Ulysses 31

When I played through recently I used this mod and started playing through at 4k, it just didn't look right to me. It was too pristine and the grain was too sharp. I changed the res to 720p and it looked perfect, grain looked correct and was closer to the IQ of the PS2 version and had that correct soft and dreamy atmosphere.

Some games were meant to be played at lower res
You can adjust the size of the grain in the latest version though.

GrayChild

I didn't play the original for long so idk if they changed anything about the difficulty. Everyone talks about how easy sh2 was, so they probably didn’t change it.

Silent Hill 2 has always been the easiest of all Team Silent games. I remember engaging with pretty much every monster I saw on my path, and by the end of the game I was still drowning in ammo and health kits. Even on hard more, the game is quite easy in comparison with lots of other survival horror titles from that era.

I've been replaying the game for years, and the only time I've seen the "Game over" screen was either if Maria died, or if I deliberately play through the whole game on like 10% remaining health just to get the "In Water" ending.

Last edited:
Top Bottom