• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 Remake TGS 2024 panel feat. Masahiro Ito

Bartski

Gold Member

sorry guys I'm working with youtube real time subs here and its a mess:

- locations created to finest detail, new areas to explore
- Ito was providing "strict guidance" to Bloober to how the fog should work against draw distance capabilities of modern hardware and the new camera perspective
- facial expression with detailed new performance capture
- 3d audio big focus so you can hear enemies attacking from behind
- Yamaoka speaks about remaking the music from a game that was initially 9 hours long but the translation is all messed up
- [trigger alert] the camera perspective and additional visibility adds to immersion and amplifies horror
- reworked combat with dodge modernizing action parts adding impact with dual sense
- 3 difficulty levels separately for combat and puzzles
- new enemies like spider maneki
- Ito says there are aspects of creature design now realized, that weren't possible on PS2, with special attention to achieving initial design vision and texture, for example the hread of the nurse
- Ito: SH2 not a game about combat but because of modernizing it some changes made to the pyramid head so it works wit its adjusted mobility. Same goes for other enemies
- vault traversal mechanic added to enhance exploring new areas, breakable windows with new areas inside
- James head movements hinting at points of interest so additional hud can be disabled
- puzzles play key role in the story, old ones revisited and plenty of new
- radio static comes from the controller speaker
- aiming reticle made to convey James is bad at shooting
- Ito loves the new actor playing Eddie and how the character turned out, while different to the original
- multiple endings confirmed

Review embargo lifts Friday, October 4, 2024, at 12 AM PT / 3 AM ET / 9 AM CET.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
...""with a chewy feel to it"

wTADIt4.jpeg

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’m glad I have that initial play-through of the PS2 version. I still remember finishing it so many years later.

It’s great to hear how they had guidelines over the fog. That HD port was a disaster. I wonder if that team were ever embarrassed for botching it up.

peronmls

I was so reserved originally because I love the original so much, but I'll admit, I am feeling more and more excited the closer we get to it. Watch this end up being Bloober's best reviewed game and it's because the publishers were so close to the entire process.
It’s not their game. It’s team silents game. They have yet to make something new and original based off their own ideas and designs.

Matsuchezz

I am playing the game right now. It’s still really good. The graphics are obsolete but the acting and sound are still top notch. I am glad it’s coming so soon. I will wait for the ps5 pro to play it.

MiguelItUp

It’s not their game. It’s team silents game. They have yet to make something new and original based off their own ideas and designs.
Which is why I'm saying it very well could be Bloobers best reviewed game. Bloober seems talented and competent enough, but maybe a separate and firm guiding hand helps them produce better results. A lot of the original games they've made seemed to be pretty hit or miss among many.

Last edited:

tommib

I still wish James was just a tiny bit more handsome. He was a bit of dumb blonde hunk in the original CGI cutscenes. It played well with the character and the sexual obsessions. I hope this lands still on that part.

Ethan Winters from RE7 is a better upgraded James.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

I’m a bit jealous of those who haven’t played the original and don’t know the story. Still, can’t wait to play it and experience it again in modern form!
Eh, it's a double edged sword, if it's a good remake it might get people to check out the OGs. If it's very mediocre I can see people being driven away from the franchise.

Last edited:

Shin-Ra

It’s funny cos it says a-hole.

Not because there’s a hole in the BD-ROM.

I remember the original PS2 card box that was extra difficult to keep pristine because of the matte black finish. And the closeup eyes were always blurry and distorted like a bad frame capture from video. Never was 100% sure it’s part of the grungy aesthetic.

nkarafo

- radio static comes from the controller speaker
This is really underrated.

I really liked this feature in Shattered Memories on the Wii, where the protag has a phone and all it's sounds come from the Wiimore speaker.

It's much creepier and more immersive this way because it feels like the game breaks the 4th wall, which can be a plus in horror games.

Plus, it doesn't mess with the game's main audio mix. In the original Silent Hill games i never liked how the radio sounds. It was either covering everything else or, if you lower the volume, it didn't make an impact. But hearing it from a different speaker near you "just works".

Too bad i will be playing this on PC with an XBOXone pad though.

Last edited:

Shin-Ra

This is really underrated.

I really liked this feature in Shattered Memories on the Wii, where the protag has a phone and all it's sounds come from the Wiimore speaker.

It's much creepier and more immersive this way because it feels like the game breaks the 4th wall, which can be a plus in horror games.

Plus, it doesn't mess with the game's main audio mix. In the original Silent Hill games i never liked how the radio sounds. It was either covering everything else or, if you lower the volume, it didn't make an impact. But hearing it from a different speaker near you "just works".

Too bad i will be playing this on PC with an XBOXone pad though.
If I play this I’ll be listening for two things:

When you first approach and find the radio, does the static transition convincingly from the main speakers to the controller speaker
When you’re holding the radio, does the static volume adjust according to proximity from danger

They’ve 100% got to be doing the latter, but the former shows real attention to audio detail.

Top Bottom