• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill Downpour |OT| Rain, Rain, Go Away

I'm kind of surprised that there's no bitching about the fact that Murphy is a convict and can probably fight and defend himself better than an average person and that it "makes it less scary" or some other bullshit.

You guys do know everyone in SH4 was just regular, supposedly everyday people targeted by a murderous sociopath?
Unless you don't consider the fact that nearly every single one of them had a tie to Walter in some way, sure.
And that many of them were involved with the church/wish house.

While I agree James was an infinitely better lead, its was purposely done in the structure of the narrative and how his journey was told throughout the entire ordeal.

Henry on the other hand, is just a regular person, sucked into a nightmarish situation. He was supposed to be bland, ( although he did show repressed emotions to Eileen ). Henry basically was a "nobody" his entire role was to receive knowledge, and he truly couldn't affect any of the outcomes to the sacraments. He was supposed to "know", then die. However we somehow "broke" the chain of events by overcoming. The Worlds, Monsters, people encountered etc. etc. aren't even built around his mental state, fears or past interactions they are all Walters. Not Henrys in any way.

and that's why i cared about keeping him alive the most despite his blandness. everyone else is in a hell that is at least in part of their own making. to a degree, if we believe the subtext and if we believe that 'good people' don't see the monsters, then we have to believe that Henry is the 'nicest' of all the protagonists.

he's been dragged into someone elses hell completely coincidentally, and on his trips to Silent Hill he found the quiet resort town version of it, rather than the uber screwed up version of it. i just think it important that i don't want to see my player character die.

he isn't my favourite character in the series, or my favorite protagonist, but i preferred him greatly to James, and he remains the one i feel the most sorry for.

Unless you don't consider the fact that nearly every single one of them had a tie to Walter in some way, sure.
And that many of them were involved with the church/wish house.

Only one of the four that were in the game that we/Henry witnessed deaths of was involved with the children at Wish-House; was Andrew.

Totally agree....where are the deformed nurses!!!!

Sarcasm? I kinda hope they aren't in there. Homecoming was the laziest offender, putting the nurses in random spots throughout. I understand why, series staple and all that, but when it doesn't make sense contextually to the narrative, that's where I question the implementation. Could say the same thing about their inclusion of Pyramid Head as well, I suppose. For my buck, Silent Hill 3 had the best monster designs in the series. The Numb Body was so damn unsettling to hear shuffling towards you somewhere in the darkness.

Anyway, still hoping for the best. But for me, Silent Hill is memorable because of the baddies, and this game seems kind of tame in that respect.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
MyEpitomeCliché;35958997 said:
Sarcasm? I kinda hope they aren't in there. Homecoming was the laziest offender, putting the nurses in random spots throughout. I understand why, series staple and all that, but when it doesn't make sense contextually to the narrative, that's where I question the implementation. Could say the same thing about their inclusion of Pyramid Head as well, I suppose. For my buck, Silent Hill 3 had the best monster designs in the series. The Numb Body was so damn unsettling to hear shuffling towards you somewhere in the darkness.

Anyway, still hoping for the best. But for me, Silent Hill is memorable because of the baddies, and this game seems kind of tame in that respect.

There's no nurses, or pyramid head, or anything like that in the game.

That said, there are some things from old Silent Hill games in this game, but I think I'll opt not talk about a lot of it to save the surprises for others.

That said, there are some things from old Silent Hill games in this game, but I think I'll opt not talk about a lot of it to save the surprises for others.

Please go into more detail about what version you had and how it performed =(

As long as they don't rely so much on it like they did in Homecoming, I'm down with some quality homages.

i'm going to go out on a massive limb here and ask if you played the game in 3D, as i hope to :)

i'm guessing not.

UrbanRats

I don't get the hate for James.
While it's true that he's a killer, it also clear that it's not like he did it in a moment of cold calculation and then shrugged it off (otherwise there would be no game).
Not that it justifies him, but things are a little more complex than "he's a dirtbag. end of story."

KAOz

Short bus special
wait a fucking second...

so this is releasing tomorrow and not the 29th? What the flipfuck is going on over in Konamiland?

29th or 30th in Europe.

I think.

Called several gameplaces today here in Sweden, and they said 30th, but weren't fully sure. Tomorrow for the US I think.

Well my game has been sent today, will hopefully have it early next week, already seeing spoilers everywhere, some asshole ruined one of the endings to me on a chat... The whole guide thing seems to be out there, at least people post about all the endings down to details, just a fair warning, should probably avoid youtube comments on the game too.

so this is releasing tomorrow and not the 29th?

Yes. And here in KY, it's going to be in the 70's and sunny. That's not right. It's rained pretty much every fucking day for the past 7 months with some snow here and there, but when Silent Hill DOWNPOUR comes out it's fucking NICE outside? BULLSHIT

DryvBy

So what page should I start looking to see some general thoughts? I'm seeing mixed "professional reviews".

I mainly just care about this: is the game freaky? Outside of that, I can live with some frame rate issues. Not too much, but a small jump every now and then isn't gonna kill this purchase.

Yes. And here in KY, it's going to be in the 70's and sunny. That's not right. It's rained pretty much every fucking day for the past 7 months with some snow here and there, but when Silent Hill DOWNPOUR comes out it's fucking NICE outside? BULLSHIT

shipping tomorrow or in stores tomorrow? i need to know to plan accordingly.

It's really weird. Doesn't seem like ANYONE knows what's going on here.

Game.se says March 15th.
Webhallen says March 30th.
inWarehouse.se says March 27th.

Clusterfuck....

and Konami themselves are saying March 29th on their facebook.
KuGsj.gif

Ahasverus

All of you guys arguing about characters will be glad to know that Murphy has quite a bit of personality. He's actually my favorite protagonist since Heather, in big part since he's definitely not perfect and feels very human. It's a joy to hear him scream in terror and try to talk to people about the strange shit he's going through and frustrated everyone seems clueless.
I love his screams when ripped apart by The Void.

You know something I like about this game story? It references the Cult and The Order Samael and that stuff, but not in the obvious "Everything is connected to Dahlia" tone of the 6 main games, it's more like "Hey, this is SH, and there is a mad cult, it's creepy, try to keep yourself away from it.. while you can".

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I know Dusk Golem mentioned there being easter eggs and references to older SH games, but are there any references to specific persons from the older games? A yes/no answer will suffice :3

http://i.imgur.com/PsVoY.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

An enemy that hides within.. Hm. I get it. The rain is actually piss, as Murphy has to piss a lot due to untreated diabetes. Murphy doesn't want to deal with his disease, and represses it even if he has to pee once every hour, and the town manifests his constant peeing as rain. At the end of the game the final boss is a living insulin syringe which Murphy has to defeat to come to terms with the disease that 'hides within'. I am so smart.

Dusk Golem

I know Dusk Golem mentioned there being easter eggs and references to older SH games, but are there any references to specific persons from the older games? A yes/no answer will suffice :3

An enemy that hides within.. Hm. I get it. The rain is actually piss, as Murphy has to piss a lot due to untreated diabetes. Murphy doesn't want to deal with his disease, and represses it even if he has to pee once every hour, and the town manifests his constant peeing as rain. At the end of the game the final boss is a living insulin syringe which Murphy has to defeat to come to terms with the disease that 'hides within'. I am so smart.

Yes.

But most of the connections you'll either have to know your stuff and be paying attention, or are hidden around.

I'll just say one very minor one for example.

Robbie plays a role in one of the side quests.

Ahasverus

This one is for you Dusk Golem, and if you consider the answer is too spoilerish please PM me
I'm far in the game, I can feel the ending is near, but I think as a good Silent Hill fan, the clues are pointing to a direction SPOILER, ONLY FOR DUSK GOLEM:
Does the game plays out the SH2 twist "It was YOU who killed your son not the man from the jail that you killed and you've been repressing the memory?"

Cudder

Anyone get the official soundtrack on iTunes?

I don't usually get OST's before the games come out, but since it's out there, I might download later tonight and just listen to it when I go to sleep. A nice precursor to the game tomorrow night. :p

Gameinformers review is up on their site with a bunch of new screenshots too. I hate that clive barker monster but the ones of the environment looks surprisingly hood.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/silent_hill_downpour/b/xbox360/archive/2012/03/12/silent-hill-downpour-review-foggy-with-a-chance-of-mediocrity.aspx

"Don’t look here for big thrills; the scares are few and far between"

THATS EXACTLY WHAT I WANT OUT OF MY SILENT HILL! THANKS FOR THE WARNING GI!

Dusk Golem

This one is for you Dusk Golem, and if you consider the answer is too spoilerish please PM me
I'm far in the game, I can feel the ending is near, but I think as a good Silent Hill fan, the clues are pointing to a direction SPOILER, ONLY FOR DUSK GOLEM:
Does the game plays out the SH2 twist "It was YOU who killed your son not the man from the jail that you killed and you've been repressing the memory?"

Seriously people, what we're talking about in these two spoiler tags are very spoilerific so don't read if you don't want to be spoiled.

I won't say too much since you're sure to find out soon, but I will say there is a twist here but it's not what you're expecting. If I was to say more that might ruin it some for you since you could make a guess.

Gameinformer said:
While I was initially impressed playing early previews of Silent Hill: Downpour, in the end the combat system leaves much to be desired. Enemy variety is downright shameful. I must have encountered the same screeching banshee lady three dozen times. Juking enemies in horror games is usually done to conserve precious ammo, but I ran from the horrendous combat system.
something for the Silent Hill 2 fans ;)

man, if that game didn't have so many defenders i'd feel bad for how much i love to stick the boot into it. fact is, i'm probably about to start a replay of it tonight. me arguing that i don't like it nearly as much as the people that herald it the best thing ever (which you have to admittedly overlook some substantial flaws to proclaim) always glosses over the fact that i like Silent Hill 2, just not nearly as much as i like some of the others.

KAOz

Short bus special
True Silent Hill fans play 1-3 and then skip over to SIREN on PSN

No. True Silent Hill fans play all the games in the series, only so that they can look back 1,2,3 with even more love than before. And then look at The Room and go "You know what, in comparison.... this really wasn't that bad."

Top Bottom