• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill Downpour |OT| Rain, Rain, Go Away

SH music is the best driving music. I don't know how many times I've taken extremely relaxing drives at night to some of the music.

Breeze in Monochrome Night is just ethereal.

oh man, i love that track. been listening to it for years and never get bored. i often use it to fall asleep though, so i personally wouldn't drive while listening to it :D

Yeah, Sterling is a big hit-monger who has made a name for himself for writing stupidly bad reviews. Giving games like Assassin's Creed 2 and Vanquish sub 5 scores, but giving garbage like Musou games 8s.

But like everyone has said, he's a massive Silent Hill fan and usually craps on anything that Konami has put out recently, so a score of 8 is shocking. That's almost as good as Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage.

Listening to a full game rip, and holy cow there is some demented shit on here. As I noted in the OP, a lot of it is definitely reminding me of the Italian horror film flavor, so I'm glad that that particular section in the OP doesn't just apply to one or two tracks. It's all over the place.

I wanted to add that to the OP just to give it some detail and personal opinions without it just feeling like a "ok here's this game and here's what it is, oh here's some pics and vids too." I wanted to bring some things that I personally admire into it as well. But I'm glad to hear that at least a good bit of the soundtrack actually does carry that style. I wouldn't say that it's quite as intense as stuff like Suspiria's score, but it's in the same ballpark.

I'm pretty excited to hear the new music considering Yamaoka has been on the series for so long. I'm gonna miss Mary Elizabeth though, I listen to some of the songs they made together in my car all the time.

She's back, I believe

Beaten by another great GAF'er

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
So since the game is almost out, I will definitely mark them, but anyone mind if I start the spoiler talk? I've been hoping some people have finished as well so I can discuss the major plot points here with some others.

Sl1j5.png

I really enjoyed the, er, first half of that movie. Gan's was so passionate but damn if it didn't get totally kooky in the finale.

I loved the finale. It got so batshit insane and violent that I just said fuck it and went along with the ride. I didn't like the super long exposition (although the cinematography and the subject matter was pretty great) but I was actually a pretty big fan of the movie.

Basically while I had problems with the movie, a couple of big ones, a lot of it was much better than I was expecting from a Hollywoodized Silent Hill movie. Sure Christoph Gans directed it, but it was released through Sony Pictures/Tri-Star.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I loved the finale. It got so batshit insane and violent that I just said fuck it and went along with the ride. I didn't like the super long exposition (although the cinematography and the subject matter was pretty great) but I was actually a pretty big fan of the movie.

I loved the finale too. The barbed wire tentacle rape scene was so out of this world it became awesome (that scene was, IIRC, inspired by Urotsukidoji). I think I'll watch the movie again tomorrow.

I loved the finale. The barbed wire tentacle rape scene was so out of this world it became awesome (that scene was, IIRC, inspired by Urotsukidoji).

Yeah I just felt like the whole thing really did a lot of great gothic horror stuff without holding back at all. Cybil's death was pretty shocking to watch for instance. It had its problems; some of the dialogue was terrible, some of the acting left a lot to be desired, and I felt like the story was trying to do so many things that it fumbled a bit, but they got so much right and delivered some really great and unexpected sequences.

I still wish that Gans was able to direct the film that he wanted though. Roger Avary's initial draft had Rose literally exploring around town for like an hour and there were no male characters meaning no jarring Christopher subplot scenes that greatly disturbed the flow of some of the otherworld scenes (mainly Midwich). Interestingly enough, the ending at one point was going to be a bunch of Pyramid Heads slaughtering everyone in the church. :lol

That would have been interesting. Glad we got what we got instead though.

Combichristoffersen

Yeah I just felt like the whole thing really did a lot of great gothic horror stuff without holding back at all. Cybil's death was pretty shocking to watch for instance. It had its problems; some of the dialogue was terrible, some of the acting left a lot to be desired, and I felt like the story was trying to do so many things that it fumbled a bit, but they got so much right and delivered some really great and unexpected sequences.

I still wish that Gans was able to direct the film that he wanted though. Roger Avary's initial draft had Rose literally exploring around town for like an hour and there were no male characters meaning no jarring Christopher subplot scenes that greatly disturbed the flow of some of the otherworld scenes (mainly Midwich). Interestingly enough, the ending at one point was going to be a bunch of Pyramid Heads slaughtering everyone in the church.

Talking of Pyramid Head, that was my only real problem with the movie. There just wasn't any good reason for PH to appear, besides fanservice.

Combichristoffersen said:
I loved the finale too. The barbed wire tentacle rape scene was so out of this world it became awesome (that scene was, IIRC, inspired by Urotsukidoji).
It should have been Alessa rising up from the depths alongside Pyramid Head fucking shit up in the church though if they had to go bloody with it. They had already established him in the film as a sort of executioner and it would been nice to see him one last time fulfilling that role. Addressing....

Combichristoffersen said:
There just wasn't any good reason for PH to appear, besides fanservice.

EDIT: Just noticed brandon83's post with the alternate film ending. One PH would have been plenty.

Talking of Pyramid Head, that was my only real problem with the movie. There just wasn't any good reason for PH to appear, besides fanservice.

I like how he literally appears the first time, Rose has fallen out of the building and waking up and Pyramid Head just walks by like hey sup. Like in Homecoming. That's no coincidence, as Homecoming tried to shove every single fucking thing from the movie into it.

However I really liked the boss fight scene with PH trying to stab Rose and Cybil through the door, the spinning fan blade behind them was pretty great. I dunno I just really dug the movie, problems and all.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Silent Hill movie would have been good if-

-They had a better child actress. Good lord she sucked.
-They didnt feel the need to go into full exposition mode and start a long drawn out story flashback sequence.

If they didnt have that shit the movie would have been a lot better.

It doesn't matter if it made sense for him to be there or not. The games have done that. Why not the movie? Besides, he was awesome in the movie.

Silent Hill movie would have been good if-

-They had a better child actress. Good lord she sucked.
-They didnt feel the need to go into full exposition mode and start a long drawn out story flashback sequence.

If they didnt have that shit the movie would have been a lot better.

I agree about the exposition, but I liked the girl. When she was playing Dark Alessa I thought she did fantastic, really. She was bad in some early scenes in the movie, mostly the intro.

It doesn't matter if it made sense for him to be there or not. The games have done that. Why not the movie? Besides, he was awesome in the movie.

Just Homecoming, which came out after the movie. Which is probably why Homecoming did it. I think the game actually explains quite well why PH is in it, but I'll admit that my reasoning is very much my own interpretation.

Combichristoffersen

Don't get me wrong, I loved seeing him in the movie, especially when he skinned that woman alive. But it just irked me a bit since there was no real reason for him to appear (same goes for Homecoming, especially the ending where Alex gets turned into a PH)

Ahasverus

This new director seems commited to deliver a good Sh movie, he's a fan too! I think it will turn out to be great, he finished the movie earlier past month (editing and stuff so he's done) and he says good things about it, and he's very critical about his own work.
I believe in SH2: Revelations.

When it's released on 2015

This new director seems commited to deliver a good Sh movie, he's a fan too! I think it will turn out to be great, he finished the movie earlier past month (editing and stuff so he's done) and he says good things about it, and he's very critical about his own work.
I believe in SH2: Revelations.

When it's released on 2015

On his blog the director hasn't been quiet about his frustrations by how the studio is handling his movie. He's super pissed about it. Basically he made it and the studio took it and won't involve him in the marketing or any pre-release meanderings, or even tell him anything that's going on with it.

sQSxy.jpg

Looks cool though!

Combichristoffersen

On his blog the director hasn't been quiet about his frustrations by how the studio is handling his movie. He's super pissed about it. Basically he made it and the studio took it and won't involve him in the marketing or any pre-release meanderings, or even tell him anything that's going on with it.

sQSxy.jpg

Looks cool though!
Where can I find his blog?

The worst dialogue in the movie:

Cybil: They used to say this place was haunted.
Rose: I'd say they were right.

HEERRRRPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

His other movies look fucking crazy...

Seems like a competent horror film director, though I'm looking for the aesthetic and symbolic capacity of the SH mythos. Deathwatch [trailer] reminds me of Event Horizon.

Can't believe my copy will be here tomorrow! Going to marathon either 2, 3, or 4 tonight. Probably should play 4, as I'm borrowing it from a friend and have yet to play it.

Combichristoffersen

Seems like a competent horror film director, though I'm looking for the aesthetic and symbolic capacity of the SH mythos. Deathwatch [trailer] reminds me of Event Horizon.

Can't believe my copy will be here tomorrow! Going to marathon either 2, 3, or 4 tonight. Probably should play 4, as I'm borrowing it from a friend and have yet to play it.
I haven't seen Deathwatch, but Solomon Kane was actually pretty good.

my god I watched one of his movies when he was announced as director just to check out his work, called Wilderness, and holy shit it has some fucking insane death scenes. I actually felt queazy a few times because he directed them so... gruelingly.

Combichristoffersen

Really? I love Solomon Kane, guess I'll check it out when it lands over here. Or is it out in the States?
I don't know if it's out in the US yet, but it was released in Europe about 2 years ago (picked up a copy of the movie on BD last year). Anyway, the movie was definitely good, like dark fantasy pulp action horror. I wasn't aware of the character prior to watching the movie, but I think I might look for a Solomon Kane collection or omnibus when I'm done reading the complere Sherlock Holmes collection.

briangomez ‏
I just exclaimed "Holy Fuck!" in the middle of the Disney office when I read @JimSterling's review of #Downpour. Did NOT expect an 8.0.

Must be an awesome feeling to get good impressions for something you've been working on for years.

Ahasverus

I think Solomon Kane was good directed, but it has some budgets issues (lol at the cgi for the final "boss"). However the director of photogrphy of SH:Revelations it's the same man from SH1, and if even Roger Ebert said it was the most visually arresting film he's ever seen (if horrible film in itself.. what a dick) we're in for a treat.

Ahasverus

Awesome. I'm certainly not stopping him.
I'd suggest, if you liked the game of course, to write a message on brian's and Konami's accounts, they neeed to know that they have our support
Because sales might or not be positive, but I think they absolutely deserve another chance.

I'd suggest, if you liked the game of course, to write a message on brian's and Konami's accounts, they neeed to know that they have our support
Because sale might or not be positive, but I think they absolutely deserve another chance.

I was thinking about doing something like that if I end up really liking the game, or at least thinking they could do better if given another shot at it.

Top Bottom