• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill Downpour |OT| Rain, Rain, Go Away

Watching a walkthrough of this game, I like how much exploration there is, at least early on. The technical issues though are a real bummer. I think I may check it out eventually.

Ridley327

Man, you really appreciate how optional the fights are after going through it once. I'm playing through it again on Hard combat and I've only had to fight a couple of screamers. You'd have to go out of your way to fight anything else, really.

For the love of god.

Having just gone through the first I'd say 40 minutes of the game I can say I am absolutely beside myself with disbelief. While the visuals are, inconsistent at best, the writing, pacing, direction and design so far are atrocious. It may be much too early to judge the entire game based on playtime thus far, but this is without a doubt the weakest opening hour of the game in the entire series.

I generally would try and save any criticisms and judgments until further review of the game but...I am overwhelmed with negativity.

I definitely agree the opening is slow and not that great. It really opened up for me after getting to SH proper. It had some interesting back story elements though.

Wtf? I had absolutely no idea this game was even out.

One key question before I even begin to think about buying: Can you invert the controls? (Y-axis, obviously) Homecoming was unplayable for me because of that one thing.

CTE

Wtf? I had absolutely no idea this game was even out.

One key question before I even begin to think about buying: Can you invert the controls? (Y-axis, obviously) Homecoming was unplayable for me because of that one thing.

You can't invert on homecoming?(Mental note: NEVER buy Homecoming).

CTE

So which is it? lol.

Either way, one is enough for me. I NEED inverted. I don't know if any of you are the same as me. I'll die so quick aiming with standard controls.

Yeah, I think they let you invert the camera on Homecoming but not when trying to shoot. I just couldn't deal with it so I couldn't play it for very long.

I'll probably pick up downpour tomorrow.

So do you lose the
flashlight or what? I'm in the caverns and I don't seem to have it in my inventory anymore, just that ridiculous lighter

The more I play the more I am shocked at the fact Konami allowed THIS to be released under the Silent Hill moniker.

RedAssedApe

Banned
So do you lose the
flashlight or what? I'm in the caverns and I don't seem to have it in my inventory anymore, just that ridiculous lighter

The more I play the more I am shocked at the fact Konami allowed THIS to be released under the Silent Hill moniker.

From what I've read in this thread, I think that's by design for that section of the game.

Ridley327

So do you lose the

It's only gone for the cavern sequence; you get it back almost immediately after you're done with that area.

The only items you wouldn't lose are the lighter and the walkie talkie, if you happen to have it.

Cudder

Huh, weird. I got Ending B and reloaded my last save to change my final decision to get Ending D, but it gave me Ending C instead..Guess this means I'll have to go through the game an extra time to get the ending I couldn't get. :\

RagnarokX

So do you lose the

Pay attention!
You dropped it when the bridge broke!

Cudder

So do you lose the

You and I seem to be the only ones in the thread hugely disappointed by this game. I'm interested in hearing just WHAT disappoints you about it as you move through it.

The game has some awesome moments
Hansel and Gretel, and moving through the forest to get to the cabin
, but nearly everything I expect SH to be great at fails here.

Forcing you to be unable to both operate a weapon or item as well as see where you are going.

Perfection.

Did you forget about the lighter? Oh, you didn't. I think it adds a lot to the atmosphere, saw no issues with it.

I had issues with Gamma and brightness and adjusted my monitor and it really helped. May not be your problem, but I had a hard time early on with stuff like that.

You and I seem to be the only ones in the thread hugely disappointed by this game. I'm interested in hearing just WHAT disappoints you about it as you move through it.

The game has some awesome moments
Hansel and Gretel, and moving through the forest to get to the cabin
, but nearly everything I expect SH to be great at fails here.

I don't know that the official thread is the place to simply sit and berate the game if not only because they are generally the place people who are curious about the game or who are enjoying playing through it with others tend to congregate.

That being said, I can say, in brief, what so far disappoints me.
Not only is Downpour simply a poorly designed and executed game this far (visual issues, horrible combat, poor lighting, mediocre voice acting and dialogue), it is, in my opinion simply a terrible Silent Hill game. Any sense of tension or anxious anticipation is created solely by the empty atmosphere and generic "horror" sound design. Not only do I find it impossible to establish any connection whatsoever with Murphy, I am simply massively unimpressed with him as a character. I sense no personality, no urgency and no motivation.

Moreover I find myself uninterested in whatever the hell is going on thus far. The environments are bland, the monster designs, so far, uninspired and the transition I've witnessed thus far into the other world was far more annoying than terrifying or disturbing.

Most of all, I cannot in good faith find one aspect that says to me "you're playing a brand new, this gen, Silent Hill game, be excited." I feel like I'm playing a bastard beta of Alan Wake with a fair sprinkling of Deadly Premonition tossed in.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Forcing you to be unable to both operate a weapon or item as well as see where you are going.

Perfection.

Haven't played the game so I can't comment accurately. But as someone else mentioned...are you sure its not a TV calibration issue and your blacks are getting crushed so you can't see any shadow details?

Haven't played the game so I can't comment accurately. But as someone else mentioned...are you sure its not a TV calibration issue and your blacks are getting crushed so you can't see any shadow details?

To be violently fair to the game, Im playing on my bf's shitty t.v. so I should wait until I get on to my beast of a rig but still lol

Truant

Homecoming on PC has proper inverted controls, for both camera and aiming. Also works with the 360 pad, although the QTE stuff is kinda broken.

I wonder if Homecoming will be remembered as the better of the two current gen games in a few years.

Homecoming had a few nice things about it.

- Great voice acting, maybe too "good" for the series.
- Gunplay was good.
- Amazing music, some of the best in the series
- Good sense of place, it was linear, but you could still explore and get a sense of what the town was like

I wonder if Homecoming will be remembered as the better of the two current gen games in a few years.

Homecoming had a few nice things about it.

- Great voice acting, maybe too "good" for the series.
- Gunplay was good.
- Amazing music, some of the best in the series
- Good sense of place, it was linear, but you could still explore and get a sense of what the town was like

Yeah I don't know about all of that.

As much as I disliked Homecoming, I can handily give it the winning vote...so far.

ArjanN

Oh yeah, last night I also got a loading screen with the text:

"It's in the room. You just can't see it."

WTF? freaked the shit out of me because I didn't know what it meant. (still don't)

It was talking about the indescribable horror that's standing right behind you right now.

Maybe I'm a lightweight, but this game shared the crap out of me by doing absolutely nothing.

I jumped when
I saw the miner mannequins behind a gate

Don't really want to read 34 pages. So what's been the general consensus amongst those who've played this? Is it a return to form for the series? Is it being taken in a new direction? Whats the deal?

Varshes

Beat the game, going through it again on easy for Endings A and C. Then one more time on hard.

I liked the game for the most part, but the technical issues really bogged it down. I went back and turned on Homecoming, and I think Homecoming "looks" more like a Silent Hill game than Downpour does... not sure what it is. I just wish Downpour had
boss fights
aside from the last one.

There was also nothing really tense or eerie about the enemy encounters, not on Silent Hill level anyway, that was the other thing that broke up the experience for me.

CAW

Where do I go after
the orphanage? I have the key to the boat
, which I'm assuming is the next step, but I after
the orphanage
I started doing some exploration and side quests and I've kind of forgotten where to go.

My map is still showing red circles, however I've completed the areas they're showing at. There's a large red circle on the
centennial building
, but when I go there I can no longer access that building. There's also a smaller circle showing at the
orphanage
but I can no longer access that building either.

I've been trying to go north on the map but haven't had much luck. For some reason I thought that was the way to go.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated. The journal isn't much help.

Ridley327

Where do I go after
the orphanage
I started doing some exploration and side quests and I've kind of forgotten where to go.

My map is still showing red circles, however I've completed the areas they're showing at. There's a large red circle on the
centennial building
, but when I go there I can no longer access that building. There's also a smaller circle showing at the
orphanage

I've been trying to go north on the map but haven't had much luck. For some reason I thought that was the way to go.

Head north, really. Make sure to do everything you want to do before then, since it's a point of no return.

Cudder

Where do I go after
the orphanage

centennial building
orphanage

youre right. You need to go north. Lower the large bridge if you havent already and look for the small dock area on your map.

Don't really want to read 34 pages. So what's been the general consensus amongst those who've played this? Is it a return to form for the series? Is it being taken in a new direction? Whats the deal?

More people tend to be positive about the game in a general sense, while not really praising anything specifically.

It is by no means a return to form imo and if this can be called a direction, I'd say it's a poor one.

I'm probably going to end up caving and buying this by the end of the week. What's the status on the performance on the PS3? Is there anything horrible I should know about?

Teknoman

Aside from the generally lame enemy design, I still like whats being offered hear...except for the fact that while the music composed by Licht is awesome, it hardly seems to appear in game. Only thing I remember hearing is the title theme, the prison walkthrough theme, and small spots of sounds when an enemy appears outside.

Cudder

you mean besides the atmosphere, music, general creativity, mythology, otherworld sequences being good, etc.? :p

Silent Hill now borders Toluca Lake on 3 sides..i mean wtf? Just how big IS SH? And, this is an honest, sincere question from one SH fan to another, what did you like about the Otherworld in this game?

I'm probably going to end up caving and buying this by the end of the week. What's the status on the performance on the PS3? Is there anything horrible I should know about?

Single digit framerates every 10 seconds. Severe texture pop in.

KorrZ

St.marias fucked with my head so bad. Leave it to a silent hill game to get in your head and scare you senseless. Also the otherworld sequences continue to get better and better.

I just found the
Golden Gun
kicking so much ass with that thing, I bust it out against those white bat motherfuckers and it saves so much hassle. All the other enemies are pretty simple to beat down.

RagnarokX

Silent Hill now borders Toluca Lake on 3 sides..i mean wtf? Just how big IS SH? And, this is an honest, sincere question from one SH fan to another, what did you like about the Otherworld in this game?

It's a small mountain resort town with a population under 30k that almost completely surrounds a lake with multiple police stations, hospitals, and prisons and has a subway system. They totally haven't lost the plot.

Teknoman

It's a small mountain resort town with a population under 30k that almost completely surrounds a lake with multiple police stations, hospitals, and prisons and has a subway system. They totally haven't lost the plot.

Well to be fair, Silent Hill 3 featured the subway. Two hospitals isnt that much of a stretch either. Of course i've never been to an actual mountain resort town, so I cant comment on how it should look :p

Pg04-05SHAreaMap.jpg

RagnarokX

Well to be fair, Silent Hill 3 featured the subway. Two hospitals isnt that much of a stretch either. Of course i've never been to an actual mountain resort town, so I cant comment on how it should look :p

Pg04-05SHAreaMap.jpg

To be fair, SH3 subway was in a city far away from Silent Hill :p

Also, SH has 3 hospitals, 2 of which are sanitariums... well, actually they made Alchemilla a sanitarium in Homecoming, so they're all sanitariums.

Single digit framerates every 10 seconds. Severe texture pop in.

I thought it was an interesting take on the Otherworld, and if you play to the end you may understand it a bit more. I don't think the Otherworld has to be all grunge and rust. I think the important thing about the Otherworlds should always include facets of the psychology of the character(s) experiencing them. I don't like the chase sequences actually, but there are some parts that are really interesting. My complaints with the game don't have much to do with the look and feel of the Otherworld, as I felt it was authentic to SH. Of course, SH as a series is all about interpretation; that's the beauty of it.

More people tend to be positive about the game in a general sense, while not really praising anything specifically.

It is by no means a return to form imo and if this can be called a direction, I'd say it's a poor one.

I need to know, how far in are you?

Top Bottom