• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill Downpour |OT| Rain, Rain, Go Away

kunonabi

How is the story? This is pretty much my only concern for a SH game.

starts off very promising but ends up being pretty generic and never truly delivers on those early moments. Pacing is a little off too. It starts off with this really nice slow burn and then rushes the end.

Still leagues ahead of everything post SH3.

Cudder

Oh yeah, last night I also got a loading screen with the text:

"It's in the room. You just can't see it."

WTF? freaked the shit out of me because I didn't know what it meant. (still don't)

Just had such a boner moment. I'm wandering around in the
Cave Of Tears
or whatever it's called and turn on the radio down there. I'm listening to this song which seems awfully familiar and then it hits me like a ton of bricks... "that's 'Willow's Song' by Doves!" One of my very favourite bands. Funny thing is, when the Korn song was announced, I started thinking to myself what bands actually would be suitable for Silent Hill, and a few songs by Doves popped in my head. Would never have thought one of their songs would end up featuring in the series, let alone an obscure b-side no less. I wonder if all that time spent in England working with Climax made Hulett a fan.

Based on that, Downpour just won itself a ton of brownie points. That choice of song was perfect for the moment.

hertog

Skimming through the thread.... and I'm afraid this one is as bad as homecoming? :(

I had so much hope for this game and Amy (lol)

Skimming through the thread.... and I'm afraid this one is as bad as homecoming? :(

I had so much hope for this game and Amy (lol)

... How did you come to that conclusion? :l

Out of everyone who has played it, only one or two didn't like it. In fact, I'm quite certain there is a unanimous decision that this is the best Silent Hill game to be released in many years now

pa22word

I wish they'd just release a patch that would give us the option to turn down (or just turn off) the anti-aliasing a bit. Probably never going to happen though due to this game not having a chance on the market and patches apparently costing 40k per console.

I mean I hate jaggies as much as the next guy, but smooth framerates are much more important imo.

hertog

... How did you come to that conclusion? :l

Out of everyone who has played it, only one or two didn't like it. In fact, I'm quite certain there is a unanimous decision that this is the best Silent Hill game to be released in many years now

wow, totally misread this thread in that case.

I'm so starving for an awesome survival horror it's not even funny.

Cudder

Considering how shittastically ugly Homecoming was, Downpour must look like a first gen PS2 game then :|

And Hitler kicking puppies > Homecoming

I didn't think Homecoming was a bad looking game at all. I haven't played it in years but I just watched some gameplay vids and it makes me wish Downpour had the the same level of performances by its actors lol. i mean, just comparing the two kids (Josh in Homecoming, and that other kid in the Monastery in Downpour) makes me smh.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I didn't think Homecoming was a bad looking game at all. I haven't played it in years but I just watched some gameplay vids and it makes me wish Downpour had the the same level of performances by its actors lol. i mean, just comparing the two kids (Josh in Homecoming, and that other kid in the Monastery in Downpour) makes me smh.

I played the PC version, and it was overall pretty ugly IMO (so I'll assume the console versions are equally ugly), with the character models being hilariously awful, especially the hair tends to look like poop smeared over the characters' heads.

This game does not look as bad as Homecoming. There are bad looking things about it and the performance is off, but Homecoming was graphically inferior overall.

legacyzero

Banned
The graphics certainly shit all over Downpours. And it controls better as well. And the performances and voice acting were better in Homecoming as well.

As a matter of fact, that entire post is batshit crazy. No offense.

Yup, I'll agree with this. Also, no way the voice acting is better in Homecoming - Downpour is all-around a better game minus the glaring technical issues really. Homecoming had some decent things going for it regarding atmosphere though.

I do have to give Homecoming some kind of credit over Downpour though. It's "otherworld" portions seemed more authentic to Silent Hill. However I'm probably less than halfway through Downpour, and the Otherworld sections are getting better progressively.

I played the PC version, and it was overall pretty ugly IMO (so I'll assume the console versions are equally ugly), with the character models being hilariously awful, especially the hair tends to look like poop smeared over the characters' heads.

Yup, I'll agree with this. Also, no way the voice acting is better in Homecoming - Downpour is all-around a better game minus the glaring technical issues really. Homecoming had some decent things going for it regarding atmosphere though.

You know what, after my second play-through, I realized I do like this game. It's disappointing in a sense that it wasn't what I completely wanted out of a new Silent Hill title, but I can clearly see what Vatra was trying to do, albeit marginally successful. The art direction is certainly lackluster, but they've captured a feeling that the more recent entries simply couldn't. I wouldn't label it as overtly oppressive, but it's damn close, and that's an integral component to any horror title, let alone one with the name Silent Hill attached to it.

Ridley327

I beat it today. I'll try and crystallize my thoughts better at a later time, but the game's story lets down an otherwise fantastic way to cap the whole thing. It's a shame, since there was a lot of potential in how it played out right before the ending kicks in and it's a great call-out to one of the better lingering mysteries of the series.

RedAssedApe

Banned
So there is consensus that the combat sucks and that I'll have a much more enjoyable experience if I play on normal or easy? What about the puzzles, how are they affected by the difficulty setting?

After having reached Silent Hill proper, and engaging in some side missions, the game has really picked up for me. Enjoying the experience much more, and finding the atmosphere excellent.

A great glitch just engaged for me in my last session, all of the enemies were docile. Every enemy I encountered for my 1 and a half hour run wouldn't lay a hand on me, only circled me and allowed me to clock them with whetever I picked up. I'm not complaining.

How does the 3D look in the PS3 version?

It looks like shit. Its not real 3D, its fake shit made by manipulating a 2D image in post using the depth buffer and everything with any degree of separation from the background in terms of depth has a hard line of distortion about 20 pixels thick around it, also moving the camera produces what i can only describe as my eyes bleeding. Its the same tech used for batman AC. I guess it may.. maybe.. look ok if you turn it down and use a smaller tv, but whats the point of that.

Ridley327

So there is consensus that the combat sucks and that I'll have a much more enjoyable experience if I play on normal or easy? What about the puzzles, how are they affected by the difficulty setting?

The difficulty setting affects the puzzles in sometimes subtle ways (something that gives you more of the solution on Easy is more cryptic/obscured on Hard) and some in very big ways (a few have completely different solutions, items central to side quests are in different locations, and one puzzle in particular has an extra step involved that isn't there on Easy). On top of that, Hard puzzle difficulty also disables button prompts entirely, so you don't have as easy a time of figuring out what goes where. It's definitely not brain-melting shit like SH3's hard puzzles (how well do you really know the Bard?), but they're generally quite involved and will certainly provide a good time.

I went Hard/Hard on my first go, and Easy/Easy on my second. The combat is terrible, but the puzzles are quality for the most part. I'd recommend Easy/Hard.

Also, the game can be creepier if you tend to run from enemies, though you won't always get the chance to. Something about looking over your shoulder and seeing a monster chase you, I dig it. Even if the monster design is boring.

For the love of god.

Having just gone through the first I'd say 40 minutes of the game I can say I am absolutely beside myself with disbelief. While the visuals are, inconsistent at best, the writing, pacing, direction and design so far are atrocious. It may be much too early to judge the entire game based on playtime thus far, but this is without a doubt the weakest opening hour of the game in the entire series.

I generally would try and save any criticisms and judgments until further review of the game but...I am overwhelmed with negativity.

Raiho

Neo Member
Hilarious how the game runs bad. Its UE3, it should be known how to work the engine by now....

I have no technical knowledge, but I think part of the problem is because of how often the game saves. I see the saving message way too often. Seems like every 15 seconds or so sometimes.

Nemesis_

^ The saving is your stats, not the actual game itself. It's a really odd way of doing things.

Just finished. The story was okay but it didn't have as much WOW or weight as any of the previous games. Maybe it was better than Homecoming - actually it was, because it wasn't so ridiculously already-been-done.

Homecoming, however, had much, much better enemy design especially for bosses, which are almost nonexistant for Downpour. The boss design for the 'Bogeyman' in particular is just lazy and downright awful.

Cudder

Just beat the game with Ending B, clocking in at 11 hours.

It's late here so I'm gonna save my full impressions for tomorrow, but I really was not impressed too much with the game. It had it's moments, but overall I would NOT put this above Homecoming. Even though Homecoming ripped off SH2's twist, and the otherworld amongst other things felt like the team was checking a list, I felt I would have rather had that than the trite that was in Downpour.

Downpour has the absolute WORST otherworld in the entire series, save for maybe Shattered Memories. Words cannot express just how fucking garbage each otherworld was. The story was not great, characters were dull. Tell me, just WHAT was the purpose of the mailman and DJ Ricks? Oh yeah, the mailman gave you a letter to let you know to get to a certain location, and Ricks also was there for the sole purpose of letting the player know he needed to get to a location. I would've rather have found notes on the goddamn floor guiding me to those locations. Useless.

Clearly I'm in the minority with this game, though.

Just beat it.

Listen to me right now if you have not played this yet and you are planning to:

SET THE COMBAT ON EASY. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT NORMAL.

This game's combat turned into a total, rage-filled disaster on normal near the end. I can't even imagine the masochist one has to be to want to play this on hard.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Just beat the game with Ending B, clocking in at 11 hours.

It's late here so I'm gonna save my full impressions for tomorrow, but I really was not impressed too much with the game. It had it's moments, but overall I would NOT put this above Homecoming. Even though Homecoming ripped off SH2's twist, and the otherworld amongst other things felt like the team was checking a list, I felt I would have rather had that than the trite that was in Downpour.

Downpour has the absolute WORST otherworld in the entire series, save for maybe Shattered Memories. Words cannot express just how fucking garbage each otherworld was. The story was not great, characters were dull. Tell me, just WHAT was the purpose of the mailman and DJ Ricks? Oh yeah, the mailman gave you a letter to let you know to get to a certain location, and Ricks also was there for the sole purpose of letting the player know he needed to get to a location. I would've rather have found notes on the goddamn floor guiding me to those locations. Useless.

Clearly I'm in the minority with this game, though.

I just want to say one thing about the mailman.
He's also in the Silent Hill comics and is also going to be in the upcoming Book of Memories. He's existed for over a hundred years, and is suggested to be the thing, not human, that leaves the notes around town for those who wonder into foggy Silent Hill. Yes, that means he left the notes behind for Harry, James, Heather, Henry, Alex, Murphy, etc. If you didn't notice, in the scene where he gives Murphy the letter, Murphy throws it to the ground, to which he reaches in his bag and pulls out the exact same letter Murphy just threw onto the ground.He's less a big part of Murphy's story as opposed to a big series player now first time seen in the games, though he first appeared in the comics.

RagnarokX

He's also in the Silent Hill comics and is also going to be in the upcoming Book of Memories. He's existed for over a hundred years, and is suggested to be the thing, not human, that leaves the notes around town for those who wonder into foggy Silent Hill. Yes, that means he left the notes behind for Harry, James, Heather, Henry, Alex, Murphy, etc. If you didn't notice, in the scene where he gives Murphy the letter, Murphy throws it to the ground, to which he reaches in his bag and pulls out the exact same letter Murphy just threw onto the ground.He's less a big part of Murphy's story as opposed to a big series player now first time seen in the games, though he first appeared in the comics.

So... how much IS Konami paying you? :p

OT: I was laughing at this guy playing SH4 and his failure to realize he was on a spiral staircase and taking the same ladder up over and over and got a funny surprise when I clicked his name: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzeWSUkGTpc#t=21m10s :p

This is everything that is wrong with the modern silent hill games imho. Trying to 'explain' things just ruins it.

Seems like the negative impressions are winning so far. Doesn't necessarily mean a lot, as I still enjoyed homecoming, but will certainly be a wait for the price drop for me. Especially since it isn't released for another couple of weeks :| (need a local Aus copy for trade or sell)

Just beat it.

Listen to me right now if you have not played this yet and you are planning to:

This game's combat turned into a total, rage-filled disaster on normal near the end. I can't even imagine the masochist one has to be to want to play this on hard.

So it is like Silent Hill 3 ?

I finished this last night and loved it. That being said, it's not a game (or series) for everyone. I can definitely see why people did not enjoy it, though I don't agree that it's worse than Homecoming.

Three issues that do stand out and so far I think most people agree: 1) The combat is bad even for a Silent Hill game, 2) the enemies are just plain boring, and 3) while I liked the story (which isn't saying much since I think most video games have terrible stories) it wasn't paced very well.

Anyway, thanks to Dusk Golem for the early impressions. I wouldn't have bought it otherwise.

CAW

I'm definitely enjoying the game. The status says I'm about 70% in (have about 8 hours logged).
I just finished orphanage
. I'm now trying to explore a bit more and tackle some side quests and hunt some easter eggs.

Agreed. After three hours into the game, I quit and went back and started a new game. I set the combat to easy and the puzzles to hard and it's been a much better experience. The combat just doesn't feel right on normal. I mean, I like a challenge and all but on normal it just felt like it took a bit too long to take down enemies. It started to feel like a grind-fest. They are pretty easy on easy but still, it's a good compromise.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Considering how shittastically ugly Homecoming was, Downpour must look like a first gen PS2 game then :|

And Hitler kicking puppies > Homecoming
Downpour doesn't look like a first gen PS2 game. The problem is that it suffers from every UE3 issue under the sun while running like dogshit on both systems.

Cudder

I dont know how some of you are saying Downpour has better voice acting than Homecoming. The opening scene of HC where Alex is being wheeled on the gurney is better acted than any scene in Downpour.

Top Bottom