• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill Downpour |OT| Rain, Rain, Go Away

Amir0x

Banned
wow this is actually Silent Hill, not some fake poser Silent Hill or some limpdicked copycat Silent Hill

it's imperfect as Silent Hill always is, but it's perfect in just the right places so far. WELCOME BACK INTO THE FOLD SILENT HILL

KorrZ

wow this is actually Silent Hill, not some fake poser Silent Hill or some limpdicked copycat Silent Hill

it's imperfect as Silent Hill always is, but it's perfect in just the right places so far. WELCOME BACK INTO THE FOLD SILENT HILL

I've been waiting to hear your impressions on the game, glad to see you're enjoying it.

judging by your post history in relation to bad framerate and performance issues, I'm genuinely shocked that you like it :p

but that's cool! I'm glad you do.

Quite surprised Amir0x, but glad to hear you're enjoying it. Exactly how I feel.

Let go of those perfect expectations, will not happen.

Amir0x

Banned
judging by your post history in relation to bad framerate and performance issues, I'm genuinely shocked that you like it :p

but that's cool! I'm glad you do.

Well the framerate is pretty bad when it rains really fucking hard, that's for sure. But I kind of feel like Silent Hill as a franchise is pretty slow and methodical anyway, so the framerate isn't necessarily as pressing as it would be for a different type of game. It still blows chunks though and certainly is a negative I would mark points down for.

Well the framerate is pretty bad when it rains really fucking hard, that's for sure. But I kind of feel like Silent Hill as a franchise is pretty slow and methodical anyway, so the framerate isn't necessarily as pressing as it would be for a different type of game. It still blows chunks though and certainly is a negative I would mark points down for.

Interesting, puts it in to perspective. I never really consciously thought about it, but the framerate issues never really stood out to me for that reason I think. Damn, I'm itching to play after a few days off.

KorrZ

I'd be interesting in reading some more detailed impressions if you have the time later!

It feels really nice to have a great true and classic survival horror game again, I think it's almost guaranteed a spot as one of my GOTYs unless the quality takes a nose dive in last area I have left.

I'd be interesting in reading some more detailed impressions if you have the time later!

It feels really nice to have a great true and classic survival horror game again, I think it's almost guaranteed a spot as one of my GOTYs unless the quality takes a nose dive in last area I have left.

It's making me want another game from Team Siren, too.

Some random thoughts...

- The
Centennial Building was an excellent segment to play through; very eerie. The car park, the dolls, lots of fixed camera angles, that cutscene in the vault with Sewell - loved it all. I halted my playthrough for the night just prior to entering the second Otherworld section (I assume so anyway; it felt like it was near and I've got to start a fire alarm so...), so I'll have a good place to start off from tomorrow night.

- Haven't had a single weapon break on me yet. Sheer luck or good weapon management, I dunno, but those double headed axes are pretty durable.

- DJ Ricks plays some awesome music. I like to just stand about listening to the entire duration of a song playing while hoping some beastie doesn't sneak up on me.

How do I get back to the main story after
I get off the rail car? I've been wandering.

Also,
the crying woman int he basement was terrifying.

Some random thoughts...

- The
Centennial Building was an excellent segment to play through; very eerie. The car park, the dolls, lots of fixed camera angles, that cutscene in the vault with Sewell - loved it all. I halted my playthrough for the night just prior to entering the second Otherworld section (I assume so anyway; it felt like it was near and I've got to start a fire alarm so...), so I'll have a good place to start off from tomorrow night.

- Haven't had a single weapon break on me yet. Sheer luck or good weapon management, I dunno, but those double headed axes are pretty durable.

- DJ Ricks plays some awesome music. I like to just stand about listening to the entire duration of a song playing while hoping some beastie doesn't sneak up on me.

Did you catch the TV, and what it was playing, when you went to unlock the freight elevator? Fucking wild, spooked me. So subtle, and most people would have missed it. I just happened to glance and caught it. Those are the details that really need to exist in an SH game

I might actually run out and buy this tonight.

What's the consensus on PS3/360 strengths/weaknesses?

From what I can remember they are pretty close. It's definitely not the best game in terms of performance. PS3 was the lead platform, though. There's also some sound mixing issues, etc etc.

Ahasverus

When I got to the
prison otherworld where you had to do that spotlight mini game thing, I literally laughed and couldn't believe I was doing such a thing in a SH game. Absurd. I also hated how each otherworld was a linear sequence of events instead of full locations onto themselves. But what can ya do.
I felt in Arkham Asylum again.

Did you catch the TV, and what it was playing, when you went to unlock the freight elevator? Fucking wild, spooked me. So subtle, and most people would have missed it. I just happened to glance and caught it. Those are the details that really need to exist in an SH game

Are you refering to the bit where you see the wheelchair thing appear on the screen? To be honest that didn't faze me. The part in the car park that got me was when that room started filling up with water again after grabbing the I.D. card. I run up in panic 'cos I think I'm gonna drown and then I'm greeted by two Weeping Bats. Swell! The sound design played a big part in that I think.

And the Screamer leaping on your back when opening the back doors of the van... such a cheap scare.

Lulz. Let's rip off Jacob's Ladder scene for scene and call it Silent Hill and that's "13x stronger".

that's a silly complaint. it no more 'rips off' Jacob's Ladder than earlier Silent Hill games 'rip off' Jacob's Ladder. gurney scene aside, what else do they have in common? one of the alternate endings? it's pretty standard to have a Jacob's Ladder ending in Silent Hill games isn't it?

Homecoming is a lot of things, but a direct rip off of Jacob's Ladder it is not. the two stories have only very tangential things in common.

Are you refering to the bit where you see the wheelchair thing appear on the screen? To be honest that didn't faze me. The part in the car park that got me was when that room started filling up with water again after grabbing the I.D. card. I run up in panic 'cos I think I'm gonna drown and then I'm greeted by two Weeping Bats. Swell! The sound design played a big part in that I think.

And the Screamer leaping on your back when opening the back doors of the van... such a cheap scare.

Not that it phased me, so to speak, but it was a nice touch. I'm sure you noticed the wheelchair at the bottom of the stairwell. Just a nice touch, and caught me off guard. Especially when I always end up noticing the wheel tracks. Then the Otherworld and staircase scene was cool. Loved the symbolism.

that's a silly complaint. it no more 'rips off' Jacob's Ladder than earlier Silent Hill games 'rip off' Jacob's Ladder. gurney scene aside, what else do they have in common? one of the alternate endings? it's pretty standard to have a Jacob's Ladder ending in Silent Hill games isn't it?

Homecoming is a lot of things, but a direct rip off of Jacob's Ladder it is not. the two stories have only very tangential things in common.

Team Silent did call on Jacob's Ladder as inspiration it's said, though Homecoming did so in a tad more literal sense.

Regardless, an interesting opening is clearly subjective.

that's a silly complaint. it no more 'rips off' Jacob's Ladder than earlier Silent Hill games 'rip off' Jacob's Ladder.
It's almost apropos that your forum name is plagiarize given what we're discussing.;)

It's literally the exact scene from Jacob's Ladder. Gurney being pushed through the scene with man strapped to it being driven through "hell", etc. It doesn't draw inspiration as previous games have via various levels of symbolism or suggestion, it downright cribs it going so far as to use nearly identical camera angles for the passing by of each room.

Jacob's Ladder (someone put SH2 music on top of it lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbtwuXqPAPk&feature=player_detailpage#t=85s

Homecoming:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=gL_TgEgK8vo#t=190s

uh huh....no ripping off there /at all/. It only the very structure of the entire scene intact.

plagiarize said:
Homecoming is a lot of things, but a direct rip off of Jacob's Ladder it is not.
I was referring to the opening of the game only. Not the entire narrative structure which I agree is not Jacob's Ladder. Not by a longshot. I'd say it's an insult to Jacob's Ladder to insinuate such a thing.:D

On another note, I found this amusing:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/terrifying-gameplay-silent-hill/728249

KorrZ

HOLY SHIT!
Dead Man's Hand
side quest scared the ever living shit out of me.

THIS is how the otherworld chase sequences should have been. I wasn't running away because I needed to progress, I was running out of pure terror. Perfect mix of the sound, music and being trapped in that small swerer.

I was literally saying to myself outloud "Let me out, let me out let me out let me out let me out"

Ridley327

Platinum achieved! Here's what I think of the endings:

Ending A:
Definitely the most upbeat of endings (well, relatively speaking), but it seems really weird that Cunningham would instantly go back to not being a bitch, especially with the knowledge that she just learned. That leads us to...

Ending B:
I'd say that this is the strongest one, since it gives both Murphy and Cunningham closure. Plus, who didn't want Sewell to get his comeuppance?

Ending C:
The second strongest, I think; I always loved the idea of Silent Hill claiming wayward souls, so Murphy being stuck in a loop of having to fulfill his duties as the Bogeyman worked pretty well.

Ending D:
The worst one by far. There's really not much to say other than even as a death dream ending, it was really weak.

Ending E:
Catchy little number in that one, ain't it? I will say that I have no idea how they managed to make James look that bad; he looked like he stepped right out of an early Dreamcast title.

Quikies83

Where is the manhole you hit after St Maria's located on the map? I need to get back to that area but cannot find it after running around for an hour. I also can't re-enter st Maria's..

RagnarokX

Watching some of Dusk Golem's videos I just gotta say; dude, slow down when you read things. You keep misreading words like Centennial as Sentimental and Internal Memorandum as International Memorium :p

Ridley327

I see.. Any idea about the manhole? I'm trying to get to the north part of map but I can't find a open route.. I need to head back to the bridge you see when crawling out of the manhole after St Maria's.

Just head north; the bridge won't be down right away, so you'll need to take care of that.

mollipen

Man... this game.

People around here know that I'm picky as all hell when it comes to SH games. I think I had some members here wanting to punch me over my opinions of Shattered Memories.

Downpour... this might be the first time since SH2 I've legitimately been excited by a Silent Hill game. If only it did a few things differently! ARG!

I'm currently at like 8 hours of playtime, and I don't think my stats have hit 50% completion yet. The Silent Hill presented here is just such a joy to explore.

Cudder

The exploration is definitely one of the highlights here. I loved exploring the apartments and other locations around town, maybe even more so than the "major" locations in the game. I also love the black levels in this game, they're perfect, not crushed or anything. In some locations you can literally only see what's illuminated by your flashlight cone, and it's great to see just how dark the surrounding area is.

I know I said I think Homecoming is a better game earlier, but without playing it recently I can't fairly compare them. I'm liking Downpour a lot more on my second playthrough it seems lol. If ONLY the story held up, I would have no problem putting it right beside the first 4 games.

I am watching a playthrough of this, as I swore to myself to not buy a "western" Silent Hill again after Homecoming. I regrett this a little bit now, the game actually looks good. My major issue at the moment is the enemy design, the strange inventory management system and autosave. Autosave might even be not that bad, it's just strange to see it in a SH game...

Teknoman

Yeah if the monster design was actually somewhat similar to Ito's stuff, or even what was seen in 4 or 0rigins, i'd be 100% comfortable putting this alongside the rest.

You can't re-enter any of the major locations.

Really? Damn so if I didnt finish the
painting treasure map
side quest...I cant go back? Or does that count as a major location? Maybe I missed some on the way there.

KorrZ

Yeah if the monster design was actually somewhat similar to Ito's stuff, or even what was seen in 4 or 0rigins, i'd be 100% comfortable putting this alongside the rest.

Really? Damn so if I didnt finish the
painting treasure map
side quest...I cant go back? Or does that count as a major location? Maybe I missed some on the way there.

No, you can return to any of the side quest areas at any time, by major locations he means the main story buildings.

mollipen

I am watching a playthrough of this, as I swore to myself to not buy a "western" Silent Hill again after Homecoming. I regrett this a little bit now, the game actually looks good. My major issue at the moment is the enemy design, the strange inventory management system and autosave. Autosave might even be not that bad, it's just strange to see it in a SH game...

Autosave is terrible. Like, ridiculously bad.

Weapon management is stupid. Enemy design is terrible for the most part. So, you're right on on all of those. And yet, I'm loving the game in spite of those things.

soultron

Banned
I'm so close to pulling the trigger. I enjoyed Homecoming for what it was. Hearing you guys hype this as being better than Homecoming... Damn. Choices...

KorrZ

I'm so close to pulling the trigger. I enjoyed Homecoming for what it was. Hearing you guys hype this as being better than Homecoming... Damn. Choices...

If you thought Homecoming was good, don't even hesitate on Downpour. It blows Homecoming out of the water in every conceivable way.

Nemesis_

Objectively speaking I find Downpour to be superior to Homecoming in almost every way. The story is a little bit less cliche (but still nothing amazing) but at the same time the general feel as well as the soundtrack are both top notch and eerily similar to some of the Team Silent games.

My only real issues with Downpour is that the game still has a few tropes that makes me feel like Vatra weren't confident enough to actually go ahead and make their own Silent Hill game. A few too many me too moments to be honest.

Homecoming definitely had better enemy design and boss battles, I feel. There are like two bosses in Downpour and one of them is pretty damn weak too.

Downpour is really dirty and gritty like other games in the series. Homecoming really did feel like a poorly conceived tie in to the film. Enemies and locations and even ideas were lifted from the film and out straight into homecoming, including the most overused enemy in the franchise thus far.

I am so keen to see where the franchise goes in the future. I have high expectations now. Vatra have almost nailed it and I think with a bigger budget they may Make a very good silent hill game.

As quite a dedicated fan to the whole series, having played every game (including side stories and mobile spin offs) as well as reading all the expanded universe crap, I felt comfortable playing Downpour if it was an indication of where the series is going. Homecoming was pretty offensive in retrospective, though. <_<

Nemesis_

Yeah, there is literally about four enemies in the game. About three of them behave the same. This is not including the two bosses, one of which feels lifted straight out of Homecoming / the film and the other of which is okay.

I think when Homecoming does enemy design better than you, something is wrong. I just want Ito back ;_;

Yeah, there is literally about four enemies in the game. About three of them behave the same. This is not including the two bosses, one of which feels lifted straight out of Homecoming / the film and the other of which is okay.

I think when Homecoming does enemy design better than you, something is wrong. I just want Ito back ;_;

How about some spoiler bars next time. I didn't need to know how many boss battles there are approximately in the game.

Drewfonse

Ugh, it doesn't happen often, but some games give me motion sickness. I felt nauseated after playing this yesterday for the first time. Definitely frame rate and camera related. Such a shame because I was enjoying it, but I just can't see me subjecting myself to that torment again. Damn.

Marco1

It's the small amount of enemy designs that is putting me off this game.
Why on earth did they skimp on this yet put so much into everything else ?

It's the small amount of enemy designs that is putting me off this game.
Why on earth did they skimp on this yet put so much into everything else ?

To be fair though, Silent Hill 2 had the same amount of monsters. You had the lying figures, the nurses, abstract daddies, mannequins and creepers to fight against - that was it. I know the big determining factor is that the enemies in 2 were way better designed, but still.

Top Bottom