• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill Downpour |OT| Rain, Rain, Go Away

Grisby

I bit. I don't know why I waited so long since I'm a big SH fan and have pretty much enjoyed every iteration of the series. I'm in the town proper I guess and have moved on to the
end of the library

I'm...yeah. I like the atmosphere and it feels good to be in Silent Hill again (feels good to be playing any horror games these days really) but I'm not digging it much on all the other fronts. Visually Downpour looks alright in some areas but it's a technical mess framerate wise. I'm on the 360 and I feel this game should have been called Stutter Hill and its really taking me out of the experience (and I;m usually fine with low framerates).

The combat is awful and the voice acting isn't the best. The voice audio quality isn't the greatest. Murphy's screams are particularly hilarious. The Otherworld chase sequences haven't been that exciting yet.

I'm sticking with it because I'm curious to see where Murphy ends up but damn, Homecoming (the last, er, next-gen SH) was leagues better in almost every way so far. The exploration deal is nice but the game's performance can't seem to handle the weight of the town.

Grisby said:
I'm sticking with it because I'm curious to see where Murphy ends up but damn, Homecoming (the last, er, next-gen SH) was leagues better in almost every way so far.
I just....I....

cop-out-nope.gif

Grisby said:
Is there a point of no return for the side quest stuff?
Yes. Once you get the
boat key after St. Maria's
The game tells you to wrap things up before moving forward.

Grisby said:
For me it was (is). Just seems way more polished then Downpour so far.
On a technical level? Yes. No question. I'll even give you enemy design even despite some being taken straight from the Silent Hill movie (I do dig the Hammerhead design though!). Outside of that - exploration, narrative, atmosphere, tension, originality and general flow of the game and enjoyment - I think Downpour is head and shoulders above Homecoming.

mollipen

There is almost none of that in Downpour. The game is rarely dark, and some of my most tense moments were those few exceptions. By contrast, the darkness in the older games is almost a force: in Silent Hill 3, even with the highest brightness settings, some of the hallways are barely discernible - and when you can see, all that greets you are tight, blood-soaked walls. As I said, it is as if the world itself died, leaving only a few, not-particularly-scary monsters to carry out its aggressive campaign.

One of the things I most hated about Silent Hill 3—and one of the reasons it's not beloved to me like some other SH fans—was that it screwed up the concept of darkness. It used it way, way, way too often, to the point that you became numb to the idea of darkness and it wasn't scary anymore.

SH1 and SH2 both understood how to use darkness right; when it came, it was scary, it was something you didn't want falling over the city, and you just wanted to get back to the daylight. There was a perfect balance between the two, so that whenever it did become dark, that darkness still had thread. SH3 had none of that balance, and ran that asset for scares into the ground.

So ugh, are you supposed to
lose your flashlight in the beginning of the game or have i accidentally thrown it away in a moment of panic? an't see shit in them caves with that shitty lighter

shidoshi said:
SH1 and SH2 both understood how to use darkness right; when it came, it was scary, it was something you didn't want falling over the city, and you just wanted to get back to the daylight. There was a perfect balance between the two, so that whenever it did become dark, that darkness still had thread. SH3 had none of that balance, and ran that asset for scares into the ground.
Agreed. I do like some of things they did with the color temperature in the game to give it a more "off" other-wordly look (Specifically that sepia tone missing in the recent HD Collection) but your assessment is spot on.

I've never been a huge fan of the third games story either. It's fine for what it is, but after the second game it felt like a downgrade.

WoodenLung...Yes! Your inability to see is intentional.

Grisby

Thanks futurevoid.

The game has improved a bit. I've just been walking around SH and doing quests (which is a strange thing to say in a SH game).

Grisby said:
The game has improved a bit. I've just been walking around SH and doing quests
I think you'll find that most will tell you the cutoff between "this is ok" to "wow, this is pretty good!" happens when you arrive at the town proper.

I finished this up tonight for the first time. I reloaded and got both the
Truth and Justice and Execution
endings. Is it wrong that I liked the latter more? The first is the feel good version and I like
Cunningham going after Sewell for revenge but Murphy getting the injection just fit the tone of the game a bit better. I love his last line to Sewell cause you just know what awaits him.

So ugh, are you supposed to
lose your flashlight in the beginning of the game or have i accidentally thrown it away in a moment of panic? an't see shit in them caves with that shitty lighter

You are supposed to lose it i guess. I was playing with a friend of mine, throwing things around. When he came to that part, he tried to turn it on, and it wasn't just there. He checked the inventory, then looked at me and said ''where the fuck did you throw it off to?''. I said i didn't throw it away but he never believed me. I will show your post to him.

Angry Fork

Quoting this now that the game has been out for a while so I could see what people think:

Things I care about:

• Oppressive, dreadful, Lynchian atmosphere.
  • Masterful sound design that enhances the atmosphere.
  • Both oppressing and melodic music like SH2.
  • Story. It has to mean something. There has to be stakes and you have to care what's happening otherwise the immersion in the town loses it's grip and you're just running around aimlessly.
  • Freakishly weird/scary monster designs that just under your skin but also have ties to the protagonists story and have meaning.
  • Exploration. I'm a huge proponent of this and the early details about this being a large revamped town really spurred my interest.

Things I don't care about:

• Voice Acting. Silent Hill 2/3 'bad' voice acting added to the creepiness factor for me. The normal way people said lines in such extreme situations made it all seem like a never ending nightmare of odd uneasiness.
  • Combat. I hate facing monsters. Monsters are supposed to be the worst thing you can see and run away from at all times.
  • Puzzles. I don't hate them or anything I'm just indifferent to them. I care more about immersing myself in atmosphere than figuring something out in a SH game.
  • Bosses. I actually do legitimately hate most bosses in games, especially if you have to figure out some puzzle element to them. It feels like a dreaded trial and error sequence. You get smacked around a few times and die without knowing what to do, you retry and it happens again a couple more times until you figure out what to do, then you have to form a plan to beat him etc. I hate all of that. It's real tedious. I'm an atmosphere whore I have more fun exploring a scary town than any combat/boss section. I'm the type that replays Max Payne 1/2 multiple times per year because Remedy are atmosphere gods and MP1/2 has it in spades.

Is this game for me? Is it worth 60$? Does it do justice to SH2 and 3?

Cudder

Quoting this now that the game has been out for a while so I could see what people think:

About the only thing that the game has going for it is the exploration, IMO. For what it's worth, while I do think the OST is pretty great, it is greatly underused in the actual game.

I'm almost done with my last run through the game and holy damn is it short when you know where to go. The time I'm beating the game this time would be considered a speedrun in the other SH games.

Angry Fork said:
Things I care about:
Oppressive, dreadful, Lynchian atmosphere. Definite atmosphere but a different take than previous games (which I like!). Plenty of dread/tension but not much oppression. This is the most subjective thing to ask about though. I personally find the Otherworld to be wonderfully designed and at times oppressive and disorienting while others don't like the design and find it to be forgettable by comparison to earlier games.
Masterful sound design that enhances the atmosphere. Hardly masterful but some good moments. The voice recording/quality leaves a bit to be desired.
Both oppressing and melodic music like SH2. The soundtrack is a major highlight.
Story. It has to mean something. There has to be stakes and you have to care what's happening otherwise the immersion in the town loses it's grip and you're just running around aimlessly. It's not going to do what Silent Hill 2 did for you if you're a fan of that game and you'll see the twists and turns coming but it's an enjoyable narrative that will keep your attention. Better than Homecoming or Origins. Not at the level of SH2 or SH4.
Freakishly weird/scary monster designs that just under your skin but also have ties to the protagonists story and have meaning. Nope. Monster designs are easily one of the games biggest failures.
Exploration. I'm a huge proponent of this and the early details about this being a large revamped town really spurred my interest. You'll love it. It's here in spades and in traditional survival horror fashion. Plenty of content to take in. One of the best aspects of the game.

Angry Fork said:
Voice Acting. Silent Hill 2/3 'bad' voice acting added to the creepiness factor for me. The normal way people said lines in such extreme situations made it all seem like a never ending nightmare of odd uneasiness. The voice acting is quite good in this.
Combat. I hate facing monsters. Monsters are supposed to be the worst thing you can see and run away from at all times. You'll avoid combat like the plague. Mainly cause it's horribly clunky and not at all enjoyable to engage in. Play on easy for the best experience if you're looking to not bother with it.
Puzzles. I don't hate them or anything I'm just indifferent to them. I care more about immersing myself in atmosphere than figuring something out in a SH game. Puzzles are all over the experience. Much as they were in SH2 and SH3.
Bosses. I actually do legitimately hate most bosses in games, especially if you have to figure out some puzzle element to them. It feels like a dreaded trial and error sequence. You get smacked around a few times and die without knowing what to do, you retry and it happens again a couple more times until you figure out what to do, then you have to form a plan to beat him etc. I hate all of that. It's real tedious. I'm an atmosphere whore I have more fun exploring a scary town than any combat/boss section. I'm the type that replays Max Payne 1/2 multiple times per year because Remedy are atmosphere gods and MP1/2 has it in spades. Only two real boss battles in the game and the last one most fits your description but it's far from difficult.
Comments in bold.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Something about the game just doesn't feel right. I think it feels a little too loose or something. The combat is really just atrocious, but it doesn't really feel like Silent Hill or a Japanese game at all. Homecoming felt like Americans emulating Japanese game design...this feels, honestly, more like someone imitating STALKER or something.

The resolution and framerate gave me a headache. I had to stop.

Teknoman

Did Homecoming release for the PC pretty soon after the console versions? Just wondering if there has been talk of Downpour hitting PC at some point (which would hopefully solve the framerate issues here and there).

mollipen

Something about the game just doesn't feel right. I think it feels a little too loose or something. The combat is really just atrocious, but it doesn't really feel like Silent Hill or a Japanese game at all. Homecoming felt like Americans emulating Japanese game design...this feels, honestly, more like someone imitating STALKER or something.

Absolutely, positively doesn't feel like a Japanese game. However, I'd argue the not feeling like Silent Hill part. Sure, about 30%~35% of the time it doesn't, but then it'll do other things that totally take me back to my time with the original and why I fell in love with it.

And really, the trick to this game is playing it with combat on easy and puzzles on hard. I think that's the secret to enjoying it more.

...okay, maybe that 30%~35% part is being generous. When it does work, though,man—it just works so well!

Ridley327

Did Homecoming release for the PC pretty soon after the console versions? Just wondering if there has been talk of Downpour hitting PC at some point (which would hopefully solve the framerate issues here and there).

It came out about a month and a half later, IIRC.

I don't think there's been even a breath about a PC version, though.

Short answer: no, it's probably not worth $60. Wait until a price drop or just rent it. If you want an expanded explanation, though:

Oppressive, dreadful, Lynchian atmosphere.
> It's brooding, but not oppressive or dreadful in 90% of cases. There are a few moments that I felt legitimately afraid, or creeped out, but it's not at all the soul-piercing atmosphere of Silent Hill 1 - 3. The tonality is completely different; as I said in my post earlier, it is as if the world itself simply could not sustain the effort of terrorizing its victims and you are paying witness to its exhaustion. It's a sad and lonely world, not a cruel and dissonant one.

Masterful sound design that enhances the atmosphere.
> The composer is good, and the music sometimes approaches Silent Hill quality, but again, the atmosphere is too restrained for the music to single-handedly unnerve you. I did appreciate the return of some classic sound effects, though, and the occasional nod to older tracks. Akira is still king, however.

Both oppressing and melodic music like SH2.
> More ambient than oppressing, but I like some of the melodic tracks.

Story.
> There's a meaningful story in there, even if the developers restrain the symbolic intensity with what I would call 'European rationality' (i.e., using more obvious symbols for concepts and avoiding material that's just batshit crazy/scary for the hell of it). Murphy is likeable, thanks in part to his surprisingly good voice actor; but there's a lot of potential that I personally feel they didn't capitalize on with their premise. That said, you will see some very trippy imagery, which is interesting, albeit not really frightening.

Freakishly weird/scary monster designs.
> The monster count is sparse, and their symbolism is either too overt or not readily apparent. They can be kind of freaky at first, but I think they're too aggressive, to the point that you become more fatigued rather than scared by their presence (with a few notable exceptions that can at least "jump-scare" you).

Exploration.
> Exploration is the name of this game, really, and the sidequests make it worthwhile. Like earlier games, you can spend a lot of time walking around, but moving between plot locations is actually very quick and easy when you know what to do (my best time was like 2 hours, 45 minutes).

Voice Acting.
> Voice acting is "better" in Downpour, and by better, I mean more Western - characters are sometimes cryptic, but they speak with fairly natural tones and syntax. Awkward character interactions and strange sentence structure are not to be found here. But that's to be expected, I think.

Combat.
> You can run from most monsters, though some parts of the game (toward the end, primarily) basically force you to fight. Otherwise, you may find yourself killing enemies just so they'll leave you alone, because they're sometimes annoyingly aggressive.

Puzzles.
> I really like puzzles, which is why I appreciate the return of hard mode; but with easy puzzle mode, you shouldn't be hindered any. Unlike previous Silent Hill games, the "logic" of puzzles is fairly apparent and contained - for most plot-related puzzles, anyway, you don't have to run around town searching through obscure garbage cans to find a puzzle item.

Bosses.
> There's really only one boss fight at the end, and it's not terribly difficult.

Y2Kev

Absolutely, positively doesn't feel like a Japanese game. However, I'd argue the not feeling like Silent Hill part. Sure, about 30%~35% of the time it doesn't, but then it'll do other things that totally take me back to my time with the original and why I fell in love with it.

And really, the trick to this game is playing it with combat on easy and puzzles on hard. I think that's the secret to enjoying it more.

...okay, maybe that 30%~35% part is being generous. When it does work, though,man—it just works so well!

But I don't even feel like the flashlight works right. I feel like I'm constantly struggling to see shit. The framerate and hitching just make exploration somewhat frustrating and, actually, nauseating. for me.

But I don't even feel like the flashlight works right. I feel like I'm constantly struggling to see shit. The framerate and hitching just make exploration somewhat frustrating and, actually, nauseating. for me.
Huh, I didn't really have an issue with the flashlight or seeing things (if anything, I felt like I barely needed the flash light because of the light already available in most areas). But I wonder if your issue has to do with the change in camera angle: it doesn't seem like the flashlight has a very penetrating beam, but it is angled from the left instead of straight-on like in earlier Silent Hill games. The shift, coupled with the intrusion of external light sources, might impact your viewpoint.

The framerate definitely is a problem, and it's too bad Konami probably won't pay the developer to create a patch. I actually didn't have too many problems until mid-way through the game while wandering the sewer tunnels, and then outside of the (location spoiler)
theater in St. Maria's

Cudder

Huh, I didn't really have an issue with the flashlight or seeing things (if anything, I felt like I barely needed the flash light because of the light already available in most areas). But I wonder if your issue has to do with the change in camera angle: it doesn't seem like the flashlight has a very penetrating beam, but it is angled from the left instead of straight-on like in earlier Silent Hill games. The shift, coupled with the intrusion of external light sources, might impact your viewpoint.

I felt that the light beam was too "low" sometimes because it was clipped on his belt. I had to back up and readjust to look at things a lot of the time.
I had no problem when I was holding the flashlight.

Y2Kev

I was in the basement house area of the Diner/Motel early and I just felt like the beam was really too low. I have to do some more experimenting.

edit: Yes! Beam too low! Fix beam! Me fix beam. Itchy tasty

KorrZ

Things I care about:

Oppressive, dreadful, Lynchian atmosphere.
Masterful sound design that enhances the atmosphere.
Both oppressing and melodic music like SH2.
Story. It has to mean something. There has to be stakes and you have to care what's happening otherwise the immersion in the town loses it's grip and you're just running around aimlessly.
Freakishly weird/scary monster designs that just under your skin but also have ties to the protagonists story and have meaning.
Exploration. I'm a huge proponent of this and the early details about this being a large revamped town really spurred my interest.

Things I don't care about:

Voice Acting. Silent Hill 2/3 'bad' voice acting added to the creepiness factor for me. The normal way people said lines in such extreme situations made it all seem like a never ending nightmare of odd uneasiness.
Combat. I hate facing monsters. Monsters are supposed to be the worst thing you can see and run away from at all times.
Puzzles. I don't hate them or anything I'm just indifferent to them. I care more about immersing myself in atmosphere than figuring something out in a SH game.
Bosses. I actually do legitimately hate most bosses in games, especially if you have to figure out some puzzle element to them. It feels like a dreaded trial and error sequence. You get smacked around a few times and die without knowing what to do, you retry and it happens again a couple more times until you figure out what to do, then you have to form a plan to beat him etc. I hate all of that. It's real tedious. I'm an atmosphere whore I have more fun exploring a scary town than any combat/boss section. I'm the type that replays Max Payne 1/2 multiple times per year because Remedy are atmosphere gods and MP1/2 has it in spades.

Is this game for me? Is it worth 60$? Does it do justice to SH2 and 3?

If you love Silent Hill. If you love a great, dark, tense and creepy atmosphere with a great horror soundtrack and wonderful sound design. If you love exploring aimlessly and checking every nook and cranny for items/side quests/just interesting areas to explore. Then this game is for you.

The story isn't anything Oscar worthy, but it's interesting enough to keep the plot going with just enough questions to keep you guessing. It's also interesting playing a second time, you start noticing the subtle little hints throughout the story much more. The only thing in your list of things you care about that this game doesn't pull off flawlessly is the monster design. While there are some that are interesting to fight, the actual design in seriously uninspired (They're all humanoid).

If you're a Silent Hill fan you owe it to yourself to play this game, it's not perfect, it's not up at Silent Hill 2-3's level, but it's the closest thing to recapturing that feeling in the last 6+ years. I would absolutely recommend buying it.

Stike

So, judging from the sound I hear on my gear,.. this game has NO SURROUND SOUND??

How pathetic.

I still love it for what it is. I would like to call it "Fanservice - The Game". It really takes all great elements of its predecessors and creates a new game.

Now I will continue, not finished yet ;)

Bebpo

Banned
I just got back to this after a week break and finished up the Devil's Pit and now in Silent Hill.

The Devil's Pit was pretty good for the most part. Going through dark creepy caves with only a lighter where you move slow and can only see 3 feet ahead of you is pretty damn scary and feels perfect for Silent Hill. The Caves/Waterfall environment was a nice claustrophic, good SH environment. The little signboards showing all the attractions and YOU ARE HERE along the way were a nice touch.

However I don't know how I feel about this "having to have the right tool and slash 3-4 times to break a wooden barrier" thing. Because when you are being chased by enemies it's freaking annoying. In all the other SH games I never remember fighting much, I pretty much just ran and ran and ran until I found a door or a safe zone. Here I feel like this is the first Silent Hill where I have to actually fight enemies because WTF THEY ARE FAST and they will hurt me or prevent me from solving a puzzle otherwise. Good Survival Horror game design is not having enemies in rooms where there are PUZZLES. They didn't seem to get that memo. And now since I actually have to use the combat in this one, as opposed to other SH games, I'm annoyed by how much I suck at it and every single enemy takes off like 1/2 my health by the time I take it down. So I still try to run past everything, but I end up having to fight more than I'd like.

Finally, the end part of The Devil's Pit
with the tram ride, was kind of cool, but I feel something like that would have worked better in a horror movie. It just felt like HORROR MOVIE SEQUENCE since it's not like you had any control and so it wasn't scary or creepy at all. If the same stuff had played out (like the mine workers moving with the light flashes) while you were walking through the mines it would have been far more creepy. And the giant talking face was kind of too direct and not ambiguous creepy enough for SH. But as it is, the mines were a very creepy environment and generally, outside some of the combat parts, they did a good SH job

Looking forward to seeing Vatra's take on the actual town itself now!

I wish you could switch your combat/puzzle difficulty mid-game. Your settings on that sound like a better experience, but I really don't want to replay the first couple of hours again :|

Alright so I finally got my copy in and I played from about 730 to 2 am. Though the game says I've only played for 4 hours or so, it either doesn't account for cutscenes or the times I died and was put back a bit.I must say I have been watching this board since it was released and so I've seen the good and the bad comments and for the most part I agree with everything thats been said. Though for me the good highly outweighs the bad.

The good:

Old school survival horror returns. The fact that there is obscure puzzles, tons of exploration, clunky combat, and even the oddball camera angles really truly make me feel this is the closest this generation on consoles we have had to a classic return to the survival horror.Now I am playing this on hard combat and puzzles and while I had heard that the combat made some battles tough, I haven't struggled with it very much. When I say that I mean the combat is pretty poor and Murphy swings his weapons around without much finesse but it's managable as long as you remember when to attack, block, and run. With that said, the bigger enemes ( you know the one I'm taking about) I usuallly run from if I have the chance. Also when it rains, I get indoors asap. Now I have manage to handle two screamers at a time, and even three... but it's really pushing it and I feel it's best to run. Murphy feels weak when it comes to combat and as a player so do I so with that it actually adds to the fear factor for me. Wether or not that was the intention of the devs or not, it's how it made me feel, piss poor combat design or not.

As for the music and the atmosphere. Absolutely dreadful at times. I play this in the dark with headphones on and there has been numerous times I have jumped, felt anxiouis or just downright felt creeped out which is more then most games these days can even claim. Sometimes it's just the music or lack thereoff, or a simple sound in the distance. Sometimes just a simple setup goes a long way. For example early on in
the devils pit, when I start hearing kid laughter, thats always creepy and half expected in games but then the fact that I then get presented with the story of how 8 kids died in a horrible accident there really just made the hairs on my arm stand up.

Now I know most people said they didn't really get the Silent Hill vibe with the game from the start, but honestly for me, and I'm a long time series fan since the first, this did for me. The whole begining sequence was intense and interesting way to start the game. Pretty brutal even and unexpected. Then we walk out of the prison to the bus with the theme playing in the background immediatly recalled nostalgia for the series as well. I can't really put my finger on it but just the way the credits started and the descent in the elevator really gave me that feeling that shit was about to get real. The other part I really love even from the begining is the detail and vibe the games evironments put out. Even before getting to Silent Hill, I enjoyed this alot cause it gave me a glimpse into the surrounding area of SH. Which brings me to another feeling I love in Downpour. Re-treading... I don't feel like I'm retreading anything the other games did then the general setup and idea, but everything else, the enemies, the new areas of SH were seeing and the way the otherworld is done is all done different and that's awesome in my eyes becaues on one hand I have grown to expect certain things in this series and becaue these things are not exactly happening the way I expected it, I'm finding myself quite surprised. Throwin the inclusion of the more opened ended level design, and the side quests and I'm pretty happy with how this turned out. Lets hope the story continues to deliver.

The bad:

I can say though that the biggest gripes I have that bother me but perhaps not as much as others is the enemy design and the framerate issues. I'm not a huge framerate person and in general I think inside its rock solid, but outside exploring the town really chugs sometimes. Not always but it's there along with the other seemingly random moments of choppiness. It's a shame but overall its not bothering me as much as I thought it would.Then on the other hand is the enemy design. Yes I agree it's somewhat lacking. Well I don't mind them persay but with them looking all sort of the same, but just slightly different it seems more could have been done with this. On the other hand there is no repeats from the other games, and concerning Silent Hills ideas behind it, really no one person should have the same enemies so with that said I appreciate how they are different. Then there is the combat which is again weak, but managable, it encourages fleeing instead of fighting, but when it comes down to it, I can still tackle it on my own no issues. As for breakable weapons, again hasn't been an issue for me, I always have something on me to fight with or can easily find something else to combat enemies with. Some people complained they didn't like the otherworld and while I've only see one so far (I just got passed meeting the mail man for the second time and inside some building) I really loved the intensity and the idea and vibe behind it. With people saying they only get crazier from here on out, that is good for me.

With all that said, I'm really loving this. It's a shame there is a few snags here and there but this is def a step in the right direction imo and a welcome change. If the game stays this interesting and intense the entire time, It will rank up there right with my favorites of 1 and 2. Then again I've really enjoyed all the SH games in various way, even some that people hate. Yet SH is a series that will always have different opinions with each new release, and I can't say that is such a bad thing, different games in the series ressonate more to different people. It's interesting to say the least.

Soo, where would you people rank this game in the non-team silent list?

Personally, the best non-team silent game for me. By a long shot! Granted I'm not finished but it would take alot to change my mind already at this point. I feel besides a few minor things that need improvement they nailed it. .

venom2124

Has anyone found the fishing rod on normal puzzle difficulty? It's driving me nuts trying to find it and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Grisby

The save system blows. I never know when I'm going to lose just 10 minutes of progress or 20 something. It's not that long but you never know when there is a safe spot to quit and I hate that in games.
I think I'm at the last area but I'd say its dead last. I'm not regretting my time with it so much and I've felt the hairs rise on the back of my neck once or twice, but damn there are a lot of problems with it.
Has anyone found the fishing rod on normal puzzle difficulty? It's driving me nuts trying to find it and any help would be greatly appreciated.
I found it in the
Pleasant River area near the pier
. Behind one of the houses you can go into.

I'm not far enough (still, I know) to really judge it but so far it smears horse shit on Homecoming's face. I hate to compare it to Shattered Memories because that game is so wildly different with a much different aim/goal -- the only way I can appreciate it is if I don't even consider it a Silent Hill game, thus I don't really like to compare it to the others.

So far Downpour isn't the same as the earlier titles, but it's not trying to be. It's not about super duper evil art direction and tunnels made out of dead baby flesh, but rather it feels more like a ghost story and I find that to be pretty cool. The whole place just feels haunted; the older ones did too, but in a really fucked up kind of way. Downpour feels more modest, something like you'd hear in a campfire tale. They did a great job at taking the older mythology and adding its own flourishes to it.

It's not on par with the craziness and absurdities of the older games, but it's something very nice on its own. I feel like it's definitely a very good addition to the series from what I've played. I just feel like if non-Team Silent developers try to replicate Team Silent sensibilities, that it's going to feel weak and like a ripoff no matter how hard they try (see: Homecoming) or even how well they pull it off because we fans are accustomed to Team Silent's style already and have been for over a decade. Vatra Games and the producers clearly understood that this time as far as I'm concerned.

Basically, fans know that this is a different developer and no matter how hard a new developer tries, we're always going to look past their work and instead, at the fact that they're not the original developers and that is always going to cast a blanket of vulnerability over the game.

And as far as the game being scary, to each their own. It has definitely spooked me out several times, and a few areas had me on edge for sure. I feel like Licht has did a really good job at imitating the Yamaoka style of dropping in really weird and subtle music at times that catches you off guard.

It seems better than Origins, and does certain things better than Homecoming, I feel (I prefer the "this town embodies your deepest fears and regrets" idea than the cult plot). Homecoming had better monster design, and more darkness overall, if I remember correctly. Downpour contains better sidequests, characters and exploration, though. Not being able to choose a save point is a frustration that I hope the team abandons.

Shattered Memories is really its own creature, and as much as I enjoyed it, I don't think it's fair to compare it to other Silent Hill Games because it's really a mystery adventure more than a horror game.

I liked Origins' atmosphere and art direction, but the story was so inherently awful that it almost makes me completely dislike the game. The writing/storytelling was dull and sloppy and the CG cutscenes were lame. The subtitle doesn't reflect the story or the information you get from the game either. Just because Alessa is in the game a few times doesn't make it some origin story.

Marco1

I have read that there are only about 4 different types of enemies but are they all copy and paste or are they in different forms?
Thanks.

Cudder

tbh I haven't played any of the non-Team Silent games in a looong time, but I have a hunch I'd put Homecoming above Downpour.

KorrZ

Downpour is easily the best non Team Silent game. It's the only one I feel that is actually a true survival horror game like SH 1-3.

tbh I haven't played any of the non-Team Silent games in a looong time, but I have a hunch I'd put Homecoming above Downpour.

Don't listen to this man! No Cudder, no! Bad! When was the last time you played Homecoming?

Top Bottom