• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - |OT| of Not Your Father's Silent Hill

I've BEEN following the dirt trail. I end up at the water station, run through those 2 rooms, climb over the fence, then I have no idea where to go.

whatdidyousay said:
I've BEEN following the dirt trail. I end up at the water station, run through those 2 rooms, climb over the fence, then I have no idea where to go.

Completely ignore the water station. Completely. There's an embankment that leads away from the water station, down to a lake. The dirt trail goes through there.

Eh, I'll just completely ignore this game I think. Ditto about the comment earlier about being stuck while sitting in the car. I hatehatehate stuff like this.

whatdidyousay said:
Really? What were your problems with the game?

Wasn't scary, the chases did not promote exploration which to me is key in getting into the atmosphere, the story, while cool, doesn't get truly good until the end, the lame attempts at scares are incredibly cheap (they all follow the same exact pattern-- static gets louder, FLASH), the
hospital
was way too short and only consisted of a brief chase sequence, the characters don't really do anything worth a damn...

My positives, though, include fantastic graphics for Wii, amazing atmosphere at a lot of moments, wonderful ending and twist, interesting stories gathered from the otherwise cheaply implemented static-flash moments, great Akira Yamaoka music (oddly enough, which is a lot worse on the soundtrack than in the game for whatever reason), incredible dialogue, voice acting, and Wii controller functionality. Flashlight is great.

iammeiam

whatdidyousay said:
Eh, I'll just completely ignore this game I think. Ditto about the comment earlier about being stuck while sitting in the car. I hatehatehate stuff like this.

The woods screwed me up my first time through, too; if I remember rightly, going through the water station and then hopping the fence drops you back at the first cabin. I wound up drawing a line on the map and then periodically pulling out the phone to check and make sure I was pointed the right way.

I think what makes it so confusing is that the instinct is to arrow for the nearest building, and once you're in the water station it feels like you're making progress because there's a very linear path to follow in there.

Yes; if you enter the pump station from the BACK, which is actually the correct way to be going, it just takes you back to the first wooded area.

Yeah I agree the game looks good for the Wii and the story seems interesting. Just some of the mechanics are annoying and I'm short on patience these days. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow or something who knows.

Miburou

Less talking about pump stations, and more discussions and plot analysis, please! :p

The way I think of the game is that Harry is neither a ghost roaming the streets of SH 18 years after his death, nor just some hallucinations that Cheryl is having, but rather that the events of the game symbolize the discussion Dr. K and Cheryl are having during therapy. Harry representing Cheryl's refusal to acknowledge his death, and Cybil, Michelle, Lisa and Dhalia representing Dr. K's attempts to shatter those delusions. Cybil tells Harry that he is not the real harry, Lisa dies symbolizing Harry's death, Michelle and John break up, symbolizing the troubled marriage Harry had and old Dhalia shows Harry that things have moved on, and every time this happens, the characters turn to ice and Harry is cast into the Nightmare world, symbolizing Cheryl's refusal to acknowledge the truth and trying to put an abrupt end to the revelations, with the "monsters" stopping Harry's progress by wearing down by hugging him and patting him gently.

Once Harry reaches Dr. K's office, Cybil says she's quitting the force, since her role of opening Harry's eyes, and by extension Cheryl's, to the truth is done.

Well yeah,
the entire game is the representation of what she tells Kaufmann. But what I don't really get, is why Harry seems so confused about everything that is happening. Cheryl must have a very... elaborate concoction of a story made up in her mind
:lol

A lot of things about the story don't make much sense to me, but I'm hoping to get some of that cleared up through discussion.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I finished this game tonight. I must not have played the same game as many of you have that have posted in here.
I thought it was a total letdown. I liked the story and I really liked how everything was revealed at the end for you. But the rest of it was so boring.

- no need for exploration at all. There is no point in searching each area like in other games.
- no skill needed for the puzzles. And I mean zero skill
- no tension at all outside of chase scenes
- chase scenes are just not fun. They were a pain.

The game winded up being a very very boring way to let me see a Silent Hill story.

You're not alone, believe me. While I'm warming up a bit more to the game, I'd have to agree with everything you listed. I really, really despise the chasing stuff.

Miburou

brandonh83 said:
Well yeah,
the entire game is the representation of what she tells Kaufmann. But what I don't really get, is why Harry seems so confused about everything that is happening. Cheryl must have a very... elaborate concoction of a story made up in her mind
:lol

A lot of things about the story don't make much sense to me, but I'm hoping to get some of that cleared up through discussion.

Um,
I do not think it just represent what Cheryl is saying (that was the point of my previous post), but rather the dialog she's having with Dr. K, i.e. Harry is her side of the discussion, while the other characters are Kaufman's side, pushing her to accept the truth, while she tries to avoid it by summoning the nightmare world.

And I'm not sure what you're having trouble getting (although understandably some stuff will forever remain unexplained). She has an idealized view of her father, she has refused to move on since his death or even acknowledge it (instead perhaps thinking he survived and is looking for her). Cybil, Michelle and Lisa might not even have ever existed (although the latter do show up in an ending, but they don't recognize Harry during the game). Harry's confusion and refusal to come to terms with the truth reflects Cheryl's attitude. She is after all delusional and under therapy.

Miburou said:
Um,
I do not think it just represent what Cheryl is saying (that was the point of my previous post), but rather the dialog she's having with Dr. K, i.e. Harry is her side of the discussion, while the other characters are Kaufman's side, pushing her to accept the truth, while she tries to avoid it by summoning the nightmare world.

Okay that puts it into perspective a bit and clears up some of the stuff I didn't get. And that's pretty much amazing. Story appreciation ++++++

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's important to remember that
Harry, however he exists in the otherworld, is irrelivant. He could be a doppelganger spat out by Silent Hill due to Cheryl's therapy, or he could be a spirit longing to escape his purgatory like world. What's important is that Harry's entire personality post-crash is 100% Cheryl. Everything you do in the game, every question you answer at the shrink, is essentially how Cheryl has chosen to see Harry.

As the shrink says, what seven year old really knows her parents? It's quite haunting, as the only 'real' glimps of Harry we ever get are in the video recordings. Harry himself might have some kind of free will or form, but his very personality in this form is still Cheryl's. He's a creation of Cheryl.

We always talk about how for every individual trapped in Silent Hill they see creations of their own mind. The world, the monsters, the horror; it's all something inside them deep down. Did we ever stop think that Harry is, in fact, just another one of these things? He is not trapped in Silent Hill, he was made in Silent Hill by Cheryl.

I'll save my comments for the actual gameplay later, but in terms of plot this is going to be a game I remember for a long time. The twist at the end is a stroke of genious, both making everything suddenly make sense, while asking the player to analyse everything all over again.

Hell, even the
main menu and opening clip of Harry and Cheryl going to the ammusement park is perceived differently. At the start you kind of think of this as a reference to the past, in that it is a build-up to Harry's car crash and his connection to Cheryl. Then you realise it's all just a memory. It's Cheryl's tape. It's Cheryl's inability to let go. "I love my daddy!" is not a father longing for his daughter, but a daughter who gravely misses her father.

Well done, Climax.

Just picked up the game today and made it to the hospital before switching it off for the night. Absolutely loving it so far -- annoying chase sequences aside. Game is proving to be a great evolution for the series and a MAJOR step-up from Homecoming.

Mithos

Gold Member
Pain is...

I forgot to continually save, and what do you know, game-breaking glitch falling through the floor during a nightmare chase scene....

Will I replay, right now I'd say no way in hell, but time will tell.

Ridley327

EatChildren said:
Harry, however he exists in the otherworld, is irrelivant. He could be a doppelganger spat out by Silent Hill due to Cheryl's therapy, or he could be a spirit longing to escape his purgatory like world. What's important is that Harry's entire personality post-crash is 100% Cheryl. Everything you do in the game, every question you answer at the shrink, is essentially how Cheryl has chosen to see Harry.

As the shrink says, what seven year old really knows her parents? It's quite haunting, as the only 'real' glimps of Harry we ever get are in the video recordings. Harry himself might have some kind of free will or form, but his very personality in this form is still Cheryl's. He's a creation of Cheryl.

We always talk about how for every individual trapped in Silent Hill they see creations of their own mind. The world, the monsters, the horror; it's all something inside them deep down. Did we ever stop think that Harry is, in fact, just another one of these things? He is not trapped in Silent Hill, he was made in Silent Hill by Cheryl.

I'll save my comments for the actual gameplay later, but in terms of plot this is going to be a game I remember for a long time. The twist at the end is a stroke of genious, both making everything suddenly make sense, while asking the player to analyse everything all over again.

Hell, even the
main menu and opening clip of Harry and Cheryl going to the ammusement park is perceived differently. At the start you kind of think of this as a reference to the past, in that it is a build-up to Harry's car crash and his connection to Cheryl. Then you realise it's all just a memory. It's Cheryl's tape. It's Cheryl's inability to let go. "I love my daddy!" is not a father longing for his daughter, but a daughter who gravely misses her father.

Well done, Climax.

This is what I got out of it, too. It's a really, really well told story at the end of the day and definitely one of the more impressive efforts as far as using the gameplay itself to help tell it.

Just finished it.

This was my first Silent Hill game, and while I can tell it's radically different than the other entries, I really enjoyed the fact that it was more of a tense adventure-horror game than a survival horror game.
Man, that ending was a major twist. I got the "Harry is Dead" ending. Kaufmann told me that I had built him up in my head, but in the end, he was still just a human being. Harry told me he'd always be with me, then turned to ice. Then I left the clinic and hugged my mom. The ending summary of my personality was scarily accurate at times. I'm definitely going to go back to this game soon.

farnham

Banned
RocketDarkness said:
Just finished it.

This was my first Silent Hill game, and while I can tell it's radically different than the other entries, I really enjoyed the fact that it was more of a tense adventure-horror game than a survival horror game.
Man, that ending was a major twist. I got the "Harry is Dead" ending. Kaufmann told me that I had built him up in my head, but in the end, he was still just a human being. Harry told me he'd always be with me, then turned to ice. Then I left the clinic and hugged my mom. The ending summary of my personality was scarily accurate at times. I'm definitely going to go back to this game soon.
as someone who just tried silent hill out and never finished any of the games due to the tidious controlls etc.. this is the stuff i wanted to hear.. now im gonna buy it for sure.. when it arrives

Also, I never really had a problem with the chase sequences. I only got taken down once
during the first pawn shop chase
, but other than that, I managed to make it out by the skin of my teeth every time.

It definitely isn't scary-scary, though. Haunting, unsettling, atmospheric as hell....yes. But not particularly scary.

farnham

Banned
Fantastical said:
They ripped this game apart on The Geekbox. There are some spoilers, so beware if you are going to listen (nothing big, they hinted at something at the end, that may or maybe not happen... I haven't played the game). They liked the graphics, acting, and presentation, but hated the chase scenes and the gameplay. They thought the story was bullshit as well.
video game stories are always bullshit..

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
EatChildren said:

Well done, Climax.

I think as it relates to this particular game, I wouldn't put stock in Silent Hill
having any particular "power" or control at all. I think that was some of the point of the various "side stories" you get in each section of the game... that Silent Hill does, in fact, have it's own set of problems (alcohol and drug abuse, rape, uh, autoerotic asphyxiation) but there isnt anything supernatural about it. It's just a lakeside town in Upstate New York not too far from the Great Lakes. There's no cult, the town has no power... this entire story was the manifestation of one girls psychosis.

At this point, I'm leaning toward none of this physically happening at all in the 'real world' and the town really was deserted. If you think about all the phone calls you make during the adventure - and there are dozens you can call - 95% of them are answering machines or the person who answers can't "hear you". The only ones who talk back are those you meet in the story and added to your "Contacts" list. The two I can recall you actually speak to that are random - Joe who lowers the bridge, and the security guard at the mall - lets look at them. With the bridge, you have a conversation with Joe who tells you how to lower it... but you don't ever actually lower the bridge. You swim across and nearly drown. That happened in Harry's head. The security guard, if you call the Mall office, tells you he's been watching you the whole time on camera and he thinks you're a pervert there to voyeur on the high school kids. Well, we know that Cheryl, and by extension Dahlia of our story, has had SERIOUS issues with the security of the mall (and one of them even killed one of the security guards). One of your cell phone conversations shows how she thought the security guards were pervs. I'm willing to bet that conversation was made up as well. Dr. K also doesn't acknowledge Harry at all when he walks into the room, doesn't bat an eyelash... and he's supposedly the most "grounded" one in the cast. If Cybil and Lisa and those characters were "real," how were they able to see Harry but not Dr. K?

So point being, what I'm leaning toward as of now, is, none if it was more than an internal battle inside Cheryl's head, brought to life by her psychosis and the mind prodding of Dr. K. Lisa and Michelle make a lot more sense if you believe this, depending on your ending, since they were both prostitutes from the strip club who are "role playing" for Harry during a sex tape... which Cheryl must have seen as a child and thought they were real people and hence brought them to meet her father in his journey to rescue her

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I finished this last Friday, and I'll just be short and sweet with it. Great ideas, great story for me. Gameplay was lacking in my opinion, but it was okay, because I was actually interested in the story. I love the psychoanalysis element to it, and I hope we see more of it as fleshed out (if not more) in some future games.

wrowa

John Harker said:
The security guard, if you call the Mall office, tells you he's been watching you the whole time on camera and he thinks you're a pervert there to voyeur on the high school kids.
I was surprised reading this. To me he said something completely else! :lol He told me that the mall was long vacated and there's no way I could be in there without making an alarm. And there's no way I could be in there right now anyway, because he can't see me on his cameras.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
wrowa said:
I was surprised reading this. To me he said something completely else! :lol He told me that the mall was long vacated and there's no way I could be in there without making an alarm. And there's no way I could be in there right now anyway, because he can't see me on his cameras.
in addition to that,
he said he hadn't worked the mall in a long time. I kind of wondered how he couldn't see me on the monitors if they weren't working it.

John Harker

wrowa said:

really?! that's great! Didnt realize the changes in this game ran that deep
to me he sounded like a dirty old man who basically said the pay sucks so what he likes to do is watch the high school kids drink and hook up on the camera and that he's been watching me the whole time cause he bets I'm something like a dirty perv too trying to find some kids :lol
Pretty funny difference if you ask me (though it still kinda plays along w/what I was speculating on above

IMACOMPUTA

I've seen talks of endings, but haven't seen mine mentioned. In mine, i got
Cheryl: "Why'd you have to die?!" Harry: "Forget me..."
and then it showed Harry, Lisa, and Michelle in a bed (i think on the boat) and Harry was about to film a threesome.. Mentioned how they were roleplaying as the "nurse" and the "prom queen"...
This really seems like it could explain those characters.. Like, Cheryl found the video and since she knows nothing of her dad, except what she has seen in videos, those are the only characters in his life.. so she fit them in as a REAL nurse, and "prom queen".
All i have to say is that this game is amazing. I HATED the chase scenes.. Seriously HATED.. almost quit playing, but was so interested in the story that i had to push on.. But the amount of thought that went into the story, and all the symbolism that you can read into is amazing. I love games/movies like this.
If you enjoyed this story, it really reminds me of
Mulholland Drive.
So, if you haven't, check that movie out.

hellclerk

IMACOMPUTA said:
and then it showed Harry, Lisa, and Michelle in a bed (i think on the boat) and Harry was about to film a threesome.. Mentioned how they were roleplaying as the "nurse" and the "prom queen"...
This really seems like it could explain those characters.. Like, Cheryl found the video and since she knows nothing of her dad, except what she has seen in videos, those are the only characters in his life.. so she fit them in as a REAL nurse, and "prom queen".
All i have to say is that this game is amazing. I HATED the chase scenes.. Seriously HATED.. almost quit playing, but was so interested in the story that i had to push on.. But the amount of thought that went into the story, and all the symbolism that you can read into is amazing. I love games/movies like this.
If you enjoyed this story, it really reminds me of
Mulholland Drive.
So, if you haven't, check that movie out.
Yeah, that was Harker's end from what I could gather, only thing is that it's not the same as in other endings. I posted a video of my end a page back, and it's alot more bittersweet and puts a different perspective on things.
I think how Harry relates to Cheryl and the latter's perspective of the former is a very important bit, but the whole thing is meant to be very ambiguous. We could go on and on about how Harry was created by Silent Hill through the shattered memories and feelings of Cheryl and it all really happened in some bizarre way, or how the whole game was just a visual representation of Cheryl's conceptions of her father were being fought by Dr. K, or even how the game was Harry's spirit looking through Silent Hill, trying to find his daughter to try and give her closure. It's all so ambiguous that it really can't be pinpointed, so forgive me if I fail to see how trying to accurately pinpoint exactly what happens to be futile and riddled with holes without a developer comment. I mean, the vagueness is entirely the point, as the focus is on the relationship between Cheryl and her dead father and how that gets fragmented with time and feelings, i.e., the subtitle. Everything else is just icing on the cake and I would argue it's there precisely to string you along and send you a variety of conflicting messages. That's the whole point for the various differences in each play through, to customize the content for maximum disturbance.

John Harker

doomed1 said:
Yeah, that was Harker's end from what I could gather, only thing is that it's not the same as in other endings. I posted a video of my end a page back, and it's alot more bittersweet and puts a different perspective on things.
I think how Harry relates to Cheryl and the latter's perspective of the former is a very important bit, but the whole thing is meant to be very ambiguous. We could go on and on about how Harry was created by Silent Hill through the shattered memories and feelings of Cheryl and it all really happened in some bizarre way, or how the whole game was just a visual representation of Cheryl's conceptions of her father were being fought by Dr. K, or even how the game was Harry's spirit looking through Silent Hill, trying to find his daughter to try and give her closure. It's all so ambiguous that it really can't be pinpointed, so forgive me if I fail to see how trying to accurately pinpoint exactly what happens to be futile and riddled with holes without a developer comment. I mean, the vagueness is entirely the point, as the focus is on the relationship between Cheryl and her dead father and how that gets fragmented with time and feelings, i.e., the subtitle. Everything else is just icing on the cake and I would argue it's there precisely to string you along and send you a variety of conflicting messages. That's the whole point for the various differences in each play through, to customize the content for maximum disturbance.

Actually, interestingly enough, the ending I got wasn't any of those either... (the one he posted I watched on youtube) in my ending, which I haven't seen on youtube yet for some reason,
Showed the beginning of that... Cheryl asking harry why he had to die, harry saying "forget me," but then after Cheryl cries a bit... she walks out of Dr. K's office and her mother is waiting for her, who gives her a hug and they walk toward the car. The next scene then shows what appears to be a drunk Cheryl's mother slapping Harry over and over again, telling Harry to get a real job and he's a worthless author whose cheese romance novels will never sell and he has to become a real man, and it ends with him falling down and looking at the camera, persumably held by Cheryl, incredibly sad and meek

What I also did enjoy was the little tie-in for all your Mementos at the end, nice touch cause otherwise the seemed interesting but useless.

After sleeping on it, this is probably the best "survival horror" game I've played this gen. This game is so unique in so many ways and the ending really makes a huge impact on you. I'd love for Climax to continue making Silent Hill games like this.

I loved the chase sequences but what they could do to improve them is too incorporate some stealth sequences in the chases and have more puzzles where you have to go through the nightmare with the enemies. If they had different enemy types as well and you needed different tactics to outrun and avoid them that would help break up some of the monotony with the the chases.

As for the real world I agree that it could have used more scares but I don't think you ever really need to be in danger in the real world, they should just make you think you're in danger. Maybe having the spirits try and grab you or have traps in the real world you have to avoid to give more sense of danger.

All in all this is a fantastic game and shouldn't be missed if your a fan of adventure/horror games.

hellclerk

John Harker said:
Actually, interestingly enough, the ending I actually got wasnt any of those either... (the one he posted I watched on youtube) in my ending, which I haent seen on youtube yet for some reason,

What I also did enjoy was the little tie-in for all your Momentos at the end, nice touch cause otherwise the seemed interesting but useless.
Sorry, I meant scitek. I knew someone got it, I just forgot who. Brandon was another one I think an a consecutive play through, and somebody did mention the
threesome part

I said it already, but I'll have to say it again:
The ending to this game gets one thing: the whole game is a buildup to the ending, and by attaching the player so much to the main character, the ending is TRAUMATIC. You're violently taken away from being Harry Mason, showing everything you've known was a lie. because of how you played the game, you were automatically invested in being Harry, and when you're told that your attachment to the character is meaningless, you can't stand to go on. You get your own perspectives and understandings of the character, and hopefully an appreciation and even endearment for the poor Harry Mason on the search for his daughter. Then, when you're violently ripped from Harry, the mirror is turned on you as you find your own interpretation of Harry's character that you got from those few hours are in fact Cheryl's and you're forced to question if they're accurate or not.
Simply brilliant.

I know this has been marketed as a "reimagining" rather than a remake, but for those who have completed it, does it at all tie in with the existing timeline, like the new Star Trek movie did, or does it actively separate itself from that all together, ala Batman Begins/The Dark Knight?

John Harker

One thing actually got me thinking. While it appears that the psychology-based game adaption elements seem to be pretty successful, they position this as "using your deepest fears against you." To be honest, I think they got some of the implementation rather backwards, haha. If I spend half the game staring at cleavage and picking sexually suggestive choices toward women, seeing enemies charging at be in the Nightmare with large breasts, vagina lips, and high heels to me isn't really playing with my fear... they should probably have a giant penis or other phallic symbolism. :lol

They should have gone with the opposite of how you played in the Nightmare parts! That's far more disturbing :D

hellclerk

Punchy4486 said:
I know this has been marketed as a "reimagining" rather than a remake, but for those who have completed it, does it at all tie in with the existing timeline, like the new Star Trek movie did, or does it actively separate itself from that all together, ala Batman Begins/The Dark Knight?
Active separation. There are some names and places, but it's all completely different, from changes in roll to the very structure of the nightmares.

hellclerk

John Harker said:
One thing actually got me thinking. While it appears that the psychology-based game adaption elements seem to be pretty successful, they position this as "using your deepest fears against you." To be honest, I think they got some of the implementation rather backwards, haha. If I spend half the game staring at cleavage and picking sexually suggestive choices toward women, seeing enemies charging at be in the Nightmare with large breasts, vagina lips, and high heels to me isn't really playing with my fear... they should probably have a giant penis or other phallic symbolism. :lol

They should have gone with the opposite of how you played in the Nightmare parts! That's far more disturbing :D
What's more terrifying, seeing that which you already feel uncomfortable with take form in freakish skin creatures or that which you take pleasure in become the object of your tension?
It's a trick question because they're both frightening, it's just each of us are afraid of different things. I got the boobie monsters first and I made no clear reference to love of sex or the female form.

MiniDitka

IMACOMPUTA said:

That's ending I got on my first play-through. I've gotten 4 different endings but heard there are five so I'm going to give it another go and see if I can get the fifth.

Video montage of the different endings - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8qrasJrIsk

John Harker

MiniDitka said:
IMACOMPUTA said:
That's ending I got on my first play-through. I've gotten 4 different endings but heard there are five so I'm going to give it another go and see if I can get the fifth.

Video montage of the different endings - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8qrasJrIsk

Thanks for that, the UFO one was simply amazing... but again, it didn't have my ending :lol I haven't seen it on youtube or anyone else say they saw it, I wonder what I did to trigger it. I kinda liked it though. A lot of it made sense considering how Dhalia was depicted throughout the game.

MiniDitka

John Harker said:
Thanks for that, the UFO one was simply amazing... but again, it didn't have my ending :lol I haven't seen it on youtube or anyone else say they saw it, I wonder what I did to trigger it. I kinda liked it though. A lot of it made sense considering how Dhalia was depicted throughout the game.

Did you get the ending where
Dahlia is slapping the shit out of Harry and ridiculing him?

Ridley327

The only thing that would make the UFO ending better is if
they used the dog ending credits theme afterwards. GREATEST SONG EVER :lol :lol :lol

You know, I think I'd like the game more if there were no chases and no combat

Just tighten up the wandering around and give it a really tense and creepy story.

John Harker

ShockingAlberto said:
You know, I think I'd like the game more if there were no chases and no combat

Just tighten up the wandering around and give it a really tense and creepy story.

The story already is great! :)
Climax should be proud, it's one of the tightest/cleanest stories (with really solid writing and great voice acting) i've seen in a game in a long time. Then again, I can see how someone could be just not interested in it for what it is ::shrug::

Has the word of mouth been as good on other forums as it has been here?
Doesn't seem to be lighting up the pages here + with Konami deciding not to spend a single $1 on it that doesn't bode too well despite its general well reception.

John Harker said:
The story already is great! :)
Climax should be proud, it's one of the tightest/cleanest stories (with really solid writing and great voice acting) i've seen in a game in a long time. Then again, I can see how someone could be just not interested in it for what it is ::shrug::

Has the word of mouth been as good on other forums as it has been here?
Doesn't seem to be lighting up the pages here + with Konami deciding not to spend a single $1 on it that doesn't bode too well despite its general well reception.
I think Konami is banking it all on GAF. I've seen web Ads for it all over GAF. :lol

I'm trying to figure out ways in which
I can relate this game, somehow, to the canon in the original at least to a point where I can consider it a "companion piece" as in, okay SH1 is told from Harry's POV and Shattered Memories is told from Cheryl's. I know it's not that clear-cut and many things get in the way. I just find it particularly fishy that these "psychiatrist" meetings are held by Dr. Kaufmann, a certifiable whacko who was drug trafficking a hallucinogenic compound and brainwashing residents/tourists with it probably to cover up the cult's actions and that the psychiatrist's office is located within Silent Hill itself. I just don't buy that these are simple psychiatrist meetings. I know someone will say "but since it's in a different universe of Silent Hill and a different Kaufmann that's not necessarily the case! But honestly, while I loved the twist and the ending, it still ends up being a sort of "it was all in her head" scenario and I despise those sorts of things, so if I could find a way to make it fit, if just barely, within the confines of the events in the original game and make it more than a delusional scenario, I think I would be able to enjoy the game a whole lot more. And before someone answers with the same things trying to negate any way to connect it, look, nothing about the series has ever been conclusive enough to arrive at a solid, concrete explanation, really, about anything. You can tell me that you disagree and that you don't think that it can connect, but don't ham it up to me as fact because I don't think it's that simple. I really do think there's a way to justify it being a companion piece, another side of the story. It may not be to your liking, but it would be to mine. And above all else, don't accuse me of "looking into it to much," I really hate the idea of not being permitted to explore an obviously complex little story with no real answers.

Just trying to like the game more. If anyone has any suggestions, let 'em fly.

Top Bottom