• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Simpsons Tapped Out |OT| Push Notification

Hellers

I think it's going to take a while to get enough cogs to speed up the cannon recharge enough. I'm running at about a 100 jar surplus at the moment :) I'm liking phase 2 more than phase 1 though and I'm pleased I now have a stupid sexy Flanders.

Durden77

I shouldn't have actually started playing this. The Simpsons first 10 seasons are what I think the best piece of TV ever made and I regularly watch them, but I haven't kept up with their current stuff in a long time.

This game so far has been fuckin hysterical in all the ways I love from the Simpsons, already loaded with awesome fan service, and just plain addicting. I'm addicted.

If the writing on the show is as good as this game is these days, this game might bring me out of my 1-10 comfort zone again.

Orgin ID is diehardRIP by the way. Feel free to add me, I'm still adding people from the OT when it lets me.

I think it's going to take a while to get enough cogs to speed up the cannon recharge enough. I'm running at about a 100 jar surplus at the moment :) I'm liking phase 2 more than phase 1 though and I'm pleased I now have a stupid sexy Flanders.

Looks like every 4th upgrade is -15 min. I say this because I'm level 4 cannon and level 5 is -15 min again. Otherwise it was +shots +bells, etc

krae_man

How serious is this holiday donuts thing? Like do they do similar deals later in the year or is this the only time?

Same sale every time. Usually 2-3 times a year. All other Gil deals are for specific items.

I buy donuts st Christmas and hold them until the next Gil deal. Unless something awesome I absolutely must have comes out.

UberTag

If the writing on the show is as good as this game is these days, this game might bring me out of my 1-10 comfort zone again.
The same writers from the show work on the game and, while it's painfully evident that the person heading the game's writing team has a higher standard of quality than Al Jean does with the show due to joke consistency, the show DOES still have some shining moments where everything just works.

I wouldn't recommend that anyone watch HD era Simpsons regularly if they've been disenfranchised from the show for any length of time but you should make a point of seeking out the episodes that come highly recommended. Feel free to start with the two recent Christmas episodes - Holidays of Future Passed (Season 23, Episode 9) and I Won't Be Home For Christmas (Season 26, Episode 10) - to kick things off and branch out into some of the funnier episodes like The Book Job and Steal This Episode from there.

krae_man

Holy crap, I bought a truckload of donuts yesterday and the game crashed and I didn't get them. I opened a chat and after a long wait, they add the wrong amount. They only added 325 when it should have been 345 with the Gil deal. They say sorry but the have to wait before they can make changes to my account again and to contact them in 12 hours if it doesn't get fixed.

It doesn't get fixed.

So I start another chat today and the rep tries to get me to go away first by saying "wait another 12 hours" then "its a known issue". I say I've already waited 12 hours and how is someone manually fixing my account incorrectly a 'known issue'?

Then finally after waiting 75 minutes in the chat on top of the 75 minutes it took for the chat to start the rep says to log in and check my balance.

They added 500 donuts!

I started with 15 and now I have 840.

UberTag

Here is the tstoaddicts.com progress tracker for the 2nd half of the Christmas event so you can keep tabs on whether you're keeping pace with your accumulation of bells or not...

gift-calendar-part-2-bells-corrected.png

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Here is the tstoaddicts.com progress tracker for the 2nd half of the Christmas event so you can keep tabs on whether you're keeping pace with your accumulation of bells or not...

Hopefully I can run a surplus compared to that, as I'm currently way behind due to the servers being so unstable the first couple days. I could barely connect at all.

fisheyes

Is there a real trick to this? I was doing great with staying on track with part 1, but I'm already at least 1000 behind on part 2. Granted, I did miss Christmas Day, but it shouldn't make that much difference, right?

Entropia

No One Remembers

Yeah I'm like 2 days behind. :( I never expect to get all the rewards from these events. My biggest problem is I HATE going to all my friends towns.

Javier

Been playing this for the past year. Nice to see GAF has an OT.

Who in the OP is still active? I want to add people who I can visit for the current challenges.

My origin is Javeman83. Pay a visit if you want extra bells.

Looks like I'll be about 500 behind after today, which is not terrible since I missed a fair amount of time due to the server issues.

Also, feel free to add me: vinceswall87

UberTag

Is there a real trick to this? I was doing great with staying on track with part 1, but I'm already at least 1000 behind on part 2. Granted, I did miss Christmas Day, but it shouldn't make that much difference, right?
I'm currently sitting at 5,140 bells despite missing the entirety of Christmas.

One trick I'm pursuing while town hopping is to literally NOT tap anything that isn't either the Elf Cannon or the Elf Cave because you get "double bells" for those compared to everything else and the number of bell claims you can do daily is finite so you might as well get the biggest bang for your buck with them.

The other trick that I've seen talked about is to let your elf bottles stockpile until you've upgraded your cannon via the cannon control building to ensure you get the maximum number of bells per elf. I'm presently getting 4 bells per elf but if I stockpiled my bottles while collecting as many cogs as possible I could potentially get 5 bells per elf or more. I'm not bothering with this one myself as running a healthy surplus of elf bottles seems pretty easy to do.

UberTag

You won't want to do that too much ubertag. You could end up having more elf bottles then you can shoot before the event ends.
Exactly. And given how rapidly elves seem to re-populate in between cannon recharges I really don't see much of a need to do that.

krae_man

Bought Barny's Bowlarama and Hank Scorpios Lair with the donuts EA gave me.

Gonna save the donuts I bought for the next Gil deal.

Looks like I'm ahead of schedule this time which is nice since it should be back loaded with more bells each day as you do upgrades. Like this part a lot more than the first because it doesn't rely on having lots of chars already.

It also lets me farm cash with the chars while doing the event instead of having to choose.

krae_man

I didn't have any of my characters earn cash during part 1. Just left them idle so they would be free for the next part of the quest.

Javier

Man, I wish they could contact Hayden, MacNeille, Roswell and Taylor so they could record lines for their characters. The fact Milhouse is still silent is brutal.

Jupiter

I'm a bit ahead on bells but I just ran out of my surplus of bottled elves. Was only able to shoot the Cannon twice this past time. Kind of worried.

Durden77

The same writers from the show work on the game and, while it's painfully evident that the person heading the game's writing team has a higher standard of quality than Al Jean does with the show due to joke consistency, the show DOES still have some shining moments where everything just works.

I wouldn't recommend that anyone watch HD era Simpsons regularly if they've been disenfranchised from the show for any length of time but you should make a point of seeking out the episodes that come highly recommended. Feel free to start with the two recent Christmas episodes - Holidays of Future Passed (Season 23, Episode 9) and I Won't Be Home For Christmas (Season 26, Episode 10) - to kick things off and branch out into some of the funnier episodes like The Book Job and Steal This Episode from there.

Thanks for the lowdown. I've had the first 1-10 seasons on DVD for so long, but after playing this and before reading your post I said fuck it and finally bought season 11, 12, and 13.

Just finished 11 last night, and I've gotta say I enjoyed it more than I expected, but that's probably because my expectations were extremely low. Hell I've been scared to watch them for years because I don't want my perfect show to get ruined. I laughed more than I thought I would, and enjoyed more episodes than I thought I would. And since I was around 11 when this season was on, I actually remember a lot of these pretty vividly.

That said, it's still a pretty severe drop in quality, and there were some seriously rough episodes. I heard a lot about Kill the Alligator and Run, but holy shit. That was just depressing to watch. The first episode I'd seen that I think was just truly bad. They've missed before, but everything about that episode was wrong from a Simpsons and a general entertainment point of view, and it was heartless. Ugh.

But I think I've decided fuck it. I've been living in my 1-10 fantasy world for too long, and I've already got 11, 12, and 13, and I've now seen what (hopefully) is some of the lowest this series has gone. I think I've just decided I'm gonna ride it out, and see what these yellow folks have been up to while I'm gone.

UberTag

But I think I've decided fuck it. I've been living in my 1-10 fantasy world for too long, and I've already got 11, 12, and 13, and I've now seen what (hopefully) is some of the lowest this series has gone. I think I've just decided I'm gonna ride it out, and see what these yellow folks have been up to while I'm gone.
I think the important thing is to not let the "Kill the Alligators" dissuade you from seeking out the good episodes the show has seen made through the 21st century. Bulldozing through collective seasons marathon-style may easily burn you out and there are even worse episodes than that one in your future. But there are also great episodes like Season 12's Trilogy of Error and Season 13's I Am Furious (Yellow).

You remember Deep Space Homer from Season 5, right? David Mirkin (that episode's writer) is writing his 2nd episode ever... and it premieres this coming Sunday on FOX.

There's always something new to look forward to and there are plenty of quality episodes that you have not seen. I just think cherry-picking is the way to go so you can steer clear of the talking towel rags, the Lady Gagas and the episodes where Abe and Bart are encouraged to kill themselves. In fact, just steer clear of most of Bart's angsty teenage romance episodes altogether.

I'm a bit ahead on bells but I just ran out of my surplus of bottled elves. Was only able to shoot the Cannon twice this past time. Kind of worried.

Really? Even with upgrades I'm still gaining elf stockpiles. But probably because I miss 2-3 cycles while I sleep.

UberTag

Really? Even with upgrades I'm still gaining elf stockpiles. But probably because I miss 2-3 cycles while I sleep.
I miss those as well as a bunch while I'm at work during the day due to not having an Android phone.
So I'm closing in on 300 elf bottles that need to be fired. Shame there isn't a way to gift them to someone else that has no surplus.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Apparently when you hit a certain level of bells or upgrades the rate in which elves drop into your town increases

Im at level 11 cannon and despite having a 45 minute decrease, 2 elf increase... i still have a surplus of bottles... even when checking my game constantly.

Durden77

I think the important thing is to not let the "Kill the Alligators" dissuade you from seeking out the good episodes the show has seen made through the 21st century. Bulldozing through collective seasons marathon-style may easily burn you out and there are even worse episodes than that one in your future. But there are also great episodes like Season 12's Trilogy of Error and Season 13's I Am Furious (Yellow).

You remember Deep Space Homer from Season 5, right? David Mirkin (that episode's writer) is writing his 2nd episode ever... and it premieres this coming Sunday on FOX.

There's always something new to look forward to and there are plenty of quality episodes that you have not seen. I just think cherry-picking is the way to go so you can steer clear of the talking towel rags, the Lady Gagas and the episodes where Abe and Bart are encouraged to kill themselves. In fact, just steer clear of most of Bart's angsty teenage romance episodes altogether.

Wow that's really, really cool to hear about David Mirkin. To be honest I didn't know that was the only episode episode he had ever written, let alone his name, but I love that episode so I'm extremely interested to see what this new one is like, as I'm sure you are.

I'm already a few episodes into season 12, and I wouldn't worry too much about me gettimg burnt out. I mean yeah, it's getting more and more noticible, and it sucks, but at this point I'm primarily watching for acedimec ways. To hear there are a few supremely solid episodes in the mix left just gives me something to look forward too. It just sucks that those episodes used to be every episode you know?

But eh, I'm already not loving season 12, but I'm gonna see this through. It's just amazing to me how many jokes just simply fall flat, or even worse, feel so uninspired. I've heard a lot about the quality change, but damn, it's real.

UberTag

Wow that's really, really cool to hear about David Mirkin. To be honest I didn't know that was the only episode episode he had ever written, let alone his name, but I love that episode so I'm extremely interested to see what this new one is like, as I'm sure you are.
Mirkin took over as showrunner when Al Jean & Mike Reiss left to work on The Critic and helmed the show for Seasons 5 & 6 (arguably the peak of the classic era). He only wrote that single episode, however. He's collaborating with Al Jean on The Man Who Came to Be Dinner. Jean's first writing credit since Season 12 was this year's well-received Christmas episode (I Won't Be Home for Christmas).

But eh, I'm already not loving season 12, but I'm gonna see this through. It's just amazing to me how many jokes just simply fall flat, or even worse, feel so uninspired. I've heard a lot about the quality change, but damn, it's real.
I'm not a big fan of too many Season 12 episodes. Just HOMЯ, Hungry, Hungry Homer, Skinner's Sense of Snow and Trilogy of Error, really. Although Lauren MacMullan starts directing episodes in that season (her first being Bye, Bye, Nerdie) and I love the way she animates the show. She's probably my favorite of the show's animation directors apart from David Silverman (who directed the very first episode, the movie and who returns this weekend for The Man Who Came to Be Dinner).

Even Swartzwelder was clearly phoning it in during the Scully years. Jean takes over the show for good (without Reiss) in Season 13. I'd say there's a slight uptick in quality in Season 15 before the show sinks into the dregs in the late teens before the Simpsons Movie, Simpsons Game and the writer's strike. But even in those seasons there is the occasional highlight episode to be found.

Consistency picked up again for the kickoff of the HD era in Season 20 but then quality is literally all over the map in later HD era seasons (especially Season 23) until probably this current season which has been relatively strong.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Seems to be a lot more stable now. I was actually able to finish the Homer quest.

It was stable for a little while, but I've just been getting Bart screens for the last hour. If it's going to be like this for the rest of the event, I have no hope of finishing it.

Edit: And now that I can get back in, it's been super helpful in clearing out the cannon's button after I tapped a friend icon on it, thus resetting the timer without actually giving me any bells.

Durden77

You clearly know your Simpsons. Thanks a lot bud, I didn't know exactly what to expect going into these seasons, and it's cool to hear a lowdown from someone that's been there but still clearly knows how good the show can be. Sounds like it's just a big ol' mixed bag. They're still entertaining enough though, and since I've finally crossed the line and will most likely run through the entire series now, the episodes that really stink I can just play this while I watch them, hahah. I still am really surprised by the writing in this game though. It's been very consistently funny for the most part.

On the topic of the game, I can't figure out how to vandalize buildings. I know only certain ones can be done, but I still can't get it to work.

krae_man

There's a quest to upgrade the cannon 20 times. I'm not getting cogs from elfs nearly enough to make that even remotely possible. I'm up to level 10 and it takes 3 days to earn enough to level up already.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
There's a quest to upgrade the cannon 20 times. I'm not getting cogs from elfs nearly enough to make that even remotely possible. I'm up to level 10 and it takes 3 days to earn enough to level up already.

Gotta find a way to get people to buy cogs after all!

UberTag

Gotta find a way to get people to buy cogs after all!
Normally I would just dismiss this as one of those traditional event "busy tasks" that you can easily bypass and ignore while tackling everything else but this one's interesting in that once you "max out" the elf cannon's level at Level 20 its appearance changes aesthetically (which will clearly be a unique permanent thing only folks who've maxed the cannon will get to have).

I'm not sure it will serve much of a long-term post-event purpose than that but, yeah, it does seem like some cog purchases will be necessary to get there even when factoring in the daily play cog bonuses.

Starting to bring in the chars now~ Got Snake, Wiggum, and will get grampa soon. I'm like 6 levels behind in character quests still too =x. Havent built Itchy Store for Squid, or toots, or diner for CBG.

krae_man

Normally I would just dismiss this as one of those traditional event "busy tasks" that you can easily bypass and ignore while tackling everything else but this one's interesting in that once you "max out" the elf cannon's level at Level 20 its appearance changes aesthetically (which will clearly be a unique permanent thing only folks who've maxed the cannon will get to have).

I'm not sure it will serve much of a long-term post-event purpose than that but, yeah, it does seem like some cog purchases will be necessary to get there even when factoring in the daily play cog bonuses.

My Bart's Fort cardboard has reverted to level 1 for some reason. So its not like the post update gloating is meaningful either.

luso

Struggling to get elfs. I'm ahead of scheduling but now I have to wait more hours until having enough to fire the three cannon blasts. No way getting level 20 for free.

Top Bottom