• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sin and Punishment: Successor of the Skies / Star Successor |OT|

Well I have a $10 off Best Buy coupon, and just sold Red Steel 2 to an online friend and got $26.16 after paypal took it's fee.

So let's see

49.99 - 10.00 = 39.99 x 8.25% tax = $43.29 - $26.16 = TOTAL $17.13

Woot, definitely gonna go buy =D

thefil

Just finished Stage 4 with a friend on easy mode. :lol

So far so good, though I feel I'll have more trouble even on easy on my own. For example, on the stage 4 boss I didn't even notice there were projectiles being fired because my partner was taking them all out. Still, a rocking good time.

Volcynika

Made it to Stage 3 on Normal.

I love the bosses on this game. It's like "Well, you beat that? HERE'S SOMETHING NEW, BEAT THAT"

So fun. Gonna bring it to work tomorrow for some 2 player with a friend.

JoeFenix

Holy crap this game is AMAZING.

I get a Gradius 5 vibe from stage 3 and it's blowing me away, Treasure are the fucking greatest!!!!

Foxix Von

Just bought it on a whim. Darn you guys *shake fist*

They only had two copies in and the manager was buying one, and since no one reserved it I got a point card :lol

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Now begins my long painful wait to receive my copy from Amazon. :(
Same here, although recently they've been getting better at delivering games within a few days of the release date

tim1138

Picked my copy up at Best Buy earlier--the girl had to make two trips to the back to find it as they didn't have it out yet. Played up through to the water tunnel level before taking a break and am absolutely loving it. Wiimote and nunchuck is just pure perfection as far as controls go, I may give analog aiming a try, but I just can't see it being as fluid and accurate as IR aiming.

Volcynika said:
Made it to Stage 3 on Normal.

I love the bosses on this game. It's like "Well, you beat that? HERE'S SOMETHING NEW, BEAT THAT"

So fun. Gonna bring it to work tomorrow for some 2 player with a friend.
The bosses just keep getting better, trust me.

Just got to World 3 (I think,
water tunnel
on normal. I'm in awe.

Main issue I had with the first one was the control. The Wiimote/Nunchuck combination is absolutely flawless and the game feels much smoother than I thought.

Haven't been amazed by a game probably since the original Galaxy. Treasure are gods.

Bebpo

Banned
I don't know if it's been said, but I'd recommend going through easy first and then normal.

I know myself and thetrin and a few other importers got like 5 hours into normal before getting totally stonewalled and unable to advance and then had to redo those 5 hours on easy which was kinda less fun since if you can pass them on normal it's less exciting on easy.

But if you do easy first then when you do normal the stages keep adding new things and new challenge and it's fun.

I'd say easy mode on this game = normal mode in most games. Normal = hard in most games. But the difficulty doesn't kick in until about midway through the game.

Saterium

Went to Best Buy and the employee had no idea that the game was out. He was even surprised regarding the Sunday released and had to check with his manager.

Also kinda sad that I was probably the first person to pick the game up even though they were getting ready to close. Oh well.

Can't wait to try it out later today!

How long is this game?

I know it's a shooter/SHMUP with lot's of replay value, but just still wanted to know about how long it would take to finish the game in one setting.

On normal for now!

Bebpo

Banned
I think one run is about 7-10 hours?

It's definitely the longest shmup/rail-shooter I've ever played by faaaaar.

Bebpo said:
I think one run is about 7-10 hours?

It's definitely the longest shmup/rail-shooter I've ever played by faaaaar.
That is pretty long. Even 5 hours is long for a rails-shooter/SHMUP.

So it's 7-10 hour roller coaster ride that gets crazier as it goes!

Can't wait to pick this up! :D

Bebpo

Banned
The online leaderboards are a plus.

The fact that your save is locked and if you ever get another wii you can't move it because of them is...not :(

Played right past the water tunnel level in co-op.

On easy. We're thinking of moving to normal but if the difficulty kicks in like some of you are saying, maybe we should stay where we are.

This game rocks by the way.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Bebpo said:
The online leaderboards are a plus.

The fact that your save is locked and if you ever get another wii you can't move it because of them is...not :(
Ugh, having locked saves is really annoying. Bleagh. Amazon shipped out my copy so I guess it'll be here before Weds.

rareside

Heh, I've had the JP copy for over 6 months now and just now getting around to it to coincide the US release. Absolutely love it!

After the somewhat challenging Galaxy 2, S&P pulled no punches. Good lord I don't ever want to play this game on Hard Mode. The last few bosses were a bitch enough on normal.

Now to see if I can get some buddies over for co-op.

This game feels like it's some sort of love letter to the wildly imaginative tangents of video games from the late 80's and early 90's. One minute you're flying through the air shooting down the bizarre wildlife and fighting soldiers that look like they're out of some dated sci-fi flick, the next you're fighting a bird with guns projecting out of its body, then you're in falling/flying into an incinerator fighting a giant crab monster, and then an underwater sea tunnel fighting submarines and sea monsters. I fucking love it, it's so random and awesome.

Effect

Ordering this from Best Buy to be picked up tomorrow morning. Last day of my vacation so I won't have to worry about what to do. :D

So is it safe to say while the PS3 and 360 got Transformers: War for Cybertron to kick off summer in terms of cinematic action the Wii has gotten Sin and Punishment 2 (Cyberton Adventures I doubt comes close to being comparable)?

Anyone think this could be a sleeper hit? Impressions seem great judging by reviews (players and gaming sites and magazines). The commercial is actually very decent. I'm still surprised Nintendo is advertising the game. Hadn't expected them to as sometimes they don't for smaller profile games.

RocketDarkness said:
Don't wanna poke around the thread too much, but does this game come with Wii Firmware 4.3 installed, or can I safely buy and run it on 4.2?

It'll check to see if you have the latest firmware but I know I haven't updated to 4.3. Should have no issues I believe.

Also just fought Armor Ritter.....what word can expression my emotions with the game? Wait I do believe I have it: WOW.

Teknoman

jaundicejuice said:
This game feels like it's some sort of love letter to the wildly imaginative tangents of video games from the late 80's and early 90's. One minute you're flying through the air shooting down the bizarre wildlife and fighting soldiers that look like they're out of some dated sci-fi flick, the next you're fighting a bird with guns projecting out of its body, then you're in falling/flying into an incinerator fighting a giant crab monster, and then an underwater sea tunnel fighting submarines and sea monsters. I fucking love it, it's so random and awesome.

treasure-co.jpg

farnham

Banned
RocketDarkness said:
Don't wanna poke around the thread too much, but does this game force install Wii Firmware 4.3, or can I safely buy and run it on 4.2?
i have the pal version and i never had any firmware updates

dunno bout the NA version

tim1138

I think I'm up to level 3 now on easy and god damn this game is so awesome. Between this and DQIX in a couple weeks I know how I'll be spending the rest of my (gaming) summer. :D

Galang

Banned
I'm glad it's just not me!

Playing my first run on single player normal with Isa and I regret not starting on easy first. :lol Difficulty has really kicked in, and I'm pretty much dying after every check point. At the end of stage
6 now. Died at Deko, and my hands are soar from playing.
Almost done! Going to try an easy run with Kachi afterwards if I manage to finish tonight.

Not ruining my enjoyment though, it's become my favorite game of the year in just a few hours, besides Galaxy 2. :D

Effect

How is the story in the game? I figure it might not be the games strong point but is it at least okay? Or it is completely not understandable? Does it change depending on the character you pick or is it presented as if both of them are doing the missions together yet you are only playing one character (so the story, if there is one, is the same for both characters)?

mjc

Effect said:
How is the story in the game? I figure it might not be the games strong point but is it at least okay? Or it is completely not understandable? Does it change depending on the character you pick or is it presented as if both of them are doing the missions together yet you are only playing one character (so the story, if there is one, is the same for both characters)?

Its fucking silly, that's all there is to it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Effect said:

It's not bad and totally passable. That being said I find myself wanting to skip the cutscenes, and just get into the action shooting shit and getting high scores! :lol

Teknoman

Effect said:

It'll probably be like the first game. It wont make much sense until you beat it, then put all the pieces together. Probably will have to watch the attract mode to get a few story bits as well.

Bebpo

Banned
Effect said:

The story is actually pretty good for a shooter. It makes sense and is interesting and after I finished S&P2 I had to read up some stuff on S&P1's plot (because S&P1 made NO SENSE) since the two are connected and you kind of need to know S&P1's plot to actually get all the plot in S&P2.

radcliff

I want to play on all difficulties and start with easy. Is there a proper ending on easy, or is it something lame like "Please try a harder difficulty." If its the latter, I'll start on medium.

Bebpo

Banned
radcliff said:
I want to play on all difficulties and start with easy. Is there a proper ending on easy, or is it something lame like "Please try a harder difficulty." If its the latter, I'll start on medium.

Full ending is there. Easy is still a solid challenge by the last few stages. They'll get you prepared for normal.

Top Bottom