• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sin and Punishment: Successor of the Skies / Star Successor |OT|

Dan said:
What the hell am I supposed to do on the
crane
boss?
The two sides can be moved up by shooting them, and shooting the baby keeper makes him yank Kachi up, but what's the end game I'm going for? Everything I try just results in her being dumped in the lava.
I don't really know what my goal is here.

Your goal is to get to the top as fast as possible (before the lava reaches Kachi), so you need to be constantly shooting the platforms. Shooting the keeper only keeps Kachi alive for a few more seconds if the lava is really close.

AniHawk

So here are the deals this week:

$10 with purchase of S&P2 at Toys R Us
B1G1 50% off any Wii game at Best Buy

I'm thinking I might do the former and use that $10 toward the B1G1 40% off all PS3 games at TRU and get RDR and 3D Dot Game Heroes.

AniHawk said:

I'm thinking I might do the former and use that $10 toward the B1G1 40% off all PS3 games at TRU and get RDR and 3D Dot Game Heroes.
Doooo ittttttttt. 3D Dot Game Heroes is awesome as long as you're down with the premise. Even its "flaws" are a clever homage to an era.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Sir Ilpalazzo said:
Your goal is to get to the top as fast as possible (before the lava reaches Kachi), so you need to be constantly shooting the platforms. Shooting the keeper only keeps Kachi alive for a few more seconds if the lava is really close.
Oh... I couldn't even tell that the lava was rising. Between lifting the platforms and rising lava, it just seemed like absolutely nothing was happening.

Thanks.

Korigama

Will try to pick this up tomorrow. Planning on taking advantage of the Best Buy deal so I can get it along with No More Heroes 2.

jay

Glad to see that at least for the first stage or two the old Space Harrier technique of constantly doing wide circles mostly works as a way of avoision.

thefil

Just finished first run of the game on easy mode + co-op. Glad I went with easy first, it made figuring out what I had to do for bosses in particular much less annoying than it would have been otherwise. Overall I had a bunch of fun, but I think the real enjoyment will come going solo on medium. Doubt I'll be able to push myself any further than that. :lol

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
There's no reason not to start on easy mode, really. You have to beat it once as each character to unlock the mode where you can use both of them at the same time, so the most straightforward way of clearing everything in the game is to play easy mode as one character, normal mode as the other, and then hard with both at the same time.

That's if it works the same way as the JP version. I still haven't picked this up, as Wal-Mart didn't have it when I checked earlier today.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Damn this game is hard... ON EASY. I must have died like 4 or 5 times in the 1st boss of Stage 3(that girl with the sword). Took me forever to get it that i had to get behind her after she strikes and try to push her into a corner AND do it without getting hit too much.

And again, i finish another stage for the 1st time with less than 5 HP left. :lol

And i still made it at #6 on this stage in the leaderboard of Canada with Isa. :lol Is there so few people playing the game?

I'll never have the courage to do it on Normal if i have that much trouble on Easy.

Volcynika

Made it to Stage 05. Can't waiiiiiiiiiiiit from what I saw at the start. No bosses have given me any trouble on Easy aside from maybe the boss on 04 where
it's some frog or something.....before the last boss.

I'm Volc on the leaderboards.....though I don't think I'm that high :lol

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
AniHawk said:

When and where do you enter the B1G1 code when buying? (Assuming it works online)

Hiltz

I have yet to play the game (will do it tomorrow) but I'm still admiring the lovely boxart. Man, how I miss the boxart work of the 90's. Those days were rad.

So, for those of who have already beaten the game once, do you find yourselves compelled to play through again multiple times ?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Hiltz said:
I have yet to play the game (will do it tomorrow) but I'm still admiring the lovely boxart. Man, how I miss the boxart work of the 90's. Those days were rad.

So, for those of who have already beaten the game once, do you find yourselves compelled to play through again multiple times ?

Yes. It's very pick up and play.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Hard game is haaaaard.

Shaman chick
was breaking my balls.

So our Nintendo rep came in today and put S&P2 in our Wii demo unit. I wandered over and played during my lunch break. Holy shit, this game is insane. It's mine come next week.

just did a score run on normal, holy shit what an investment! ended up with 77,xxx,xxx and a big fat 2nd place... :lol - not bad for 2 days of ownership.

my heart was pounding the entire time. this is a suitable cardio exercise

the visual acuity it requires while still maintaining balance shows the tremendous level of design Treasure has. in that regard, giving this game anything less then a 10 shows plain ignorance on the behalf of anyone reviewing it.

GREAT to see Nintendo using this as a demo!

So someone said the LOCAL leaderboards for this game were basically you competing against yourself.

My question is why do you have to connect online to see these boards and what scores are they constantly updating LOCAL with?

Ricker

Regulus Tera said:
Woohoo, my order just shipped!

Using the zapper is a perfectly good alternative, if you have it.

Wow,using the Zapper is much better for me now,except that the C button that sometimes doesn`t seem to work(I have a hard time seeing the gauge that refills so I can use it again maybe?)...the game is awesome but man it`s hard as hell,i`m dying on easy hehe...reached the 2nd Boss and by the time I figured what to do and got good at doing it,I had 1/4 health left but then dropped him down to half...next time i`ll get him...action sequence in the city in chapter 1 is great.

Dave Long

Banned
Got the poster. I don't have pics, but it's basically an advertisement for the game using some of the hand drawn art. It has IGN and some other site quotes on it, too. Nothing special.

Effect

This game is crazy. It's one boss after another. I'm playing on easy and have already died a few times. I actually didn't there would be a challenge but there is. Though the charged shot makes it somewhat easy on some bosses. The challenge so far is staying alive and not taking damage. Which is an adventure in itself. Normally Id' think that would be unfair but don't for some reason. Do the bosses become more difficult kill in terms of how to kill them, weak points, etc or does it just become harder to stay alive due to how they attack?

My favorite stage so far has to be the water one. I don't think I've seen this much going on in a Wii game before. Well done Treasure. If this is being used as demo in stores then this has to sell well in the end.

Hiltz

I'm currently at the sky fortress level. I've died twice so far while playing as Isa.

Impressions so far:

Presentation/Music: Slick Menus and a few catchy tracks but the music has been mostly forgettable.

Graphics: Bosses and environments look great but the human character models for Isa, Kachi and the Nebulox bosses look muddy and unattractive.

Story: Still too early to make sense of what exactly is going on with the story, but it's decent so far. However, the dialogue is weak and the voice acting is average at best. There's some slight lip sync issues as well.

Controls: Intuitive and responsive. The Wii remote's IR pointer was made for this game.

Gameplay: The sequel feels more bullet-intensive than the first game. There's just a whole lot more shooting going on which makes it more challenging to evade attacks while fighting off enemies even in the early levels on easy mode. On top of that, being able to fly (optional at times) makes the sequel feel quite different from the first game. Each level seems to have a different pace and camera angles which keeps things refreshing. The bosses are pretty fun, unpredictable and put up a good fight.

The first level was pretty forgettable (but it serves as a tutorial). Thankfully, the second stage instantly gave off the fast-paced, action-packed, swooping camera work that the first one is famous for.

The Water level is my favorite so far.

I need to play more to determine whether I like Star Successor more than the first game. By the way, I'm a huge fan of the first game and played it to death.

Dave Long

Banned
The water tunnel is brilliant. At first I'm like, "Wait, this is just a tunnel? Where's the fun in that?"

Then I'm shooting the stuff outside it and shit's flying in trying to bite me and HOLY SHIT THOSE DUDES ARE SURFING THE TUNNEL! By the time I went flying out of the tunnel into the ocean I'm like ready to pass out.

Awesome stuff.

stuminus3

Dave Long said:
Then I'm shooting the stuff outside it and shit's flying in trying to bite me and HOLY SHIT THOSE DUDES ARE SURFING THE TUNNEL! By the time I went flying out of the tunnel into the ocean I'm like ready to pass out.
ThrowdownMFer.jpg

You really do have the best avatar for these kinds of games. :lol

Teknoman

ConradCervantes said:
So our Nintendo rep came in today and put S&P2 in our Wii demo unit. I wandered over and played during my lunch break. Holy shit, this game is insane. It's mine come next week.

I need to figure out why Nintendo wont visit our store anymore...

Our Nintendo guy comes by every six weeks or so. I'd rank him last on the list of reps solely due to his anti-informative attitude when we ask him stuff. Plus he fucked one of our registers up while installing our Download Station behind the cashwrap.

But on topic:

Played some more today. I can't believe how awesome this game is. And it's two player, too! I can't wait to bring it over to my GF's house and watch her rage whenever she gets lit up. :lol

Dave Long

Banned
I really can't get over the fact I'm going to have this and Death Smiles in the same week. Insanity. It's like turning back the clock 20 years to the Genesis days of a shooter a week.

stuminus3

I think for sure we've got a new genre king (though some might say the original was king of the rail shooters in the first place). I actually can't believe this game is running on a Wii, it's incredible the amount of crap that's going on at any given time, at a silky smooth 60fps. Treasure always usually get the very best out of their hardware, though.

I'm actually loving that the stages are so long. It makes the though of playing the entire game in one sitting kind of silly, but someone mentioned earlier that some of the stages are longer than an entire run of Ikaruga as if it's a bad thing - it actually feels to me like I've got 7 awesome rail shooters to play through in a single package, haha. Like the Metal Slug anthology.

Nintendo are a perfect 3 for 3 for me this year on Wii (this, Endless Ocean 2, and of course, Mario Galaxy 2). Say what you will about being able to count the number of new releases they put out a year on a single hand, but when they and their development partners hit it out of the park, they really hit it out of the park.

Dave Long

Banned
Yeah, that's the thing. I have no qualms dropping $50 on a Nintendo game because there's like an 85% chance or better that it will be right in my wheelhouse at the least and near historic at best.

Treasure + Nintendo = Awesome. I hope they work with them again this generation.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Got the game in the mail today, just waiting to head home to play. Any critique of the voice acting options? I don't really mind if the English is god-awful, since that's what I'm used to from the original. It almost seems like it's supposed to be that way.

The plan so far:

1. Easy, Kachi, English
2. Normal, Isa, Japanese
3. Hard, Both, whichever language I preferred I guess?

I may never actually GET to item 3 there, depending on how hard normal gets, but we'll see! I did all of the difficulties in the original, even on fast-motion mode, so it seems only fair to attempt it again now. It's great to hear that there are changes and new fights for each difficulty, cause that's what I loved so much about the original, and the guy who localized it told me at Nintendo's media summit that he wasn't aware of that kind of structure in this one here. So hopefully he is indeed mistaken! He seemed surprisingly clueless in general though, for a guy who wrote the friggin script.

Hiltz

Is anyone else annoyed by the reviews that list the 2 player co-op as a con ?

As cool as it would be to have a true 2 player co-op in Sin & Punishment 2, the reality is that it would be too chaotic so Treasure went with the practical solution.

The screen is crowded with enemies and bullets and it is hard enough to keep track of your character constantly moving around. Now these fools really expected a second player to fit onto the screen and not cause any problems ? It's not like Sin & Punishment is a top down, vertical on-rails shooter!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Awesome game is incredible.
Or...
Incredible game is awesome.
I haven't quite decided yet.

How do you know you're playing a kick-your-ass Treasure game?
When one or both of your hands start hurting from gripping the controller(s) too tightly!
:)

stuminus3

Dave Long said:
Treasure + Nintendo = Awesome. I hope they work with them again this generation.
Seriously. I want them to do another Wario World, too. That game was so under-rated IMO. Totally in the wrong place at the wrong time. Stupid trope.

Tathanen said:
Any critique of the voice acting options?
Trust me, this will not matter. Play it once in each language, then forget about it. :lol

Mejilan said:
Awesome game is incredible.
Or...
Incredible game is awesome.
I haven't quite decided yet.
Incredibly awesome game is awesomely incredible.

EDIT: I just noticed that the TV Trope I linked to opens with a comment from a really stupid review of Gradius V. Another Treasure game... :lol

Hiltz

I think my favorite line of text in the game (haven't even finished it yet) is when Isa says at the beginning of the story "Now we run like our lives depend on it.Because they do."

That pretty much set the tone of game's dialogue for me.

I like the game, but I have to say that I really don't like the crazy bullet hell thing they decided to go with. The first game felt a lot more controlled, while this one just feels like you're just supposed to mash dodge a lot (and even then there's usually no way to keep track of everything on screen). The very first fight with
Deko
was especially bad in that regard.

Sir Ilpalazzo said:
I like the game, but I have to say that I really don't like the crazy bullet hell thing they decided to go with. The first game felt a lot more controlled, while this one just feels like you're just supposed to mash dodge a lot (and even then there's usually no way to keep track of everything on screen). The very first fight with
Deko
was especially bad in that regard.
So it's more of a bullet hell game? I liked the original, and I like standard shooters, but don't have the patience for bullet hell shooters.

Bullet hell might be kind of extreme. It's definitely very "bullet-intensive", to use a quote from this page, and it is much more intense than the first game. They actually don't compare at all in terms of bullet craziness, even if you were to put the first game on Turbo mode.

stuminus3

Evlar said:
It's just... $50, you know? That's against my $3 iPhone games and my Backlog of the Gods.
I'm pretty sure I say this in every arcade shooter thread, but I'll for sure get more per hour out of that $50 than I will from any "long" game. I mean, I still play Solider Blade and Contra 3 pretty frequently, and those games are 30 minutes long and nearly 20 years old.

Regarding the bullet hell thing, it is and it isn't. The game seems like uncontrolled chaos at first, but once you get a handle on it, it feels much, much tighter and manageable, like the first game, it just looks crazy, if that makes any sense. Put it this way, if a boss fires a thousand tiny bullets at you, you just pretty much have to get out of the way of the bulk of it (or sometimes use your sword and fire stuff back at 'em!), you don't really have to weave through them like a Cave game or something. For reference, I'm not much good at bullet hell games, and I don't really like them all that much.

You definitely have to move around a lot more than in the original game, but I think that's largely to do with the fact it's so much easier to control, and you have to think about vertical movement more now.

Top Bottom