• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sin and Punishment: Successor of the Skies / Star Successor |OT|

KevinCow

Banned
djtiesto said:
Man, I still can't beat the goddamn
shaman
... got up to the meteor part with about 70 health, and still kept on failing when volleying it back... seems like my melee attack will go right throw it sometimes. Guess my timing is wrong or something, I think the most I got was like 4 volleys back and forth. Seriously considering restarting the game on 'easy' with Isa. I'm an embarrassment to my Facebook name :p

That meteor. That fucking meteor. On like my fifth try I managed to get her down to a sliver of health and was all like, "Hell yeah I'm finally gonna win!" Then she jumps back and shoots a goddamn meteor at me and kills me.

darkvir

picked up the NA version, but havent had time to fire it up.... I completed the JP version awhile back, I've heard a few things have been tuned/tweeked... anyone know wut?

djtiesto said:
shaman
... got up to the meteor part with about 70 health, and still kept on failing when volleying it back... seems like my melee attack will go right throw it sometimes. Guess my timing is wrong or something, I think the most I got was like 4 volleys back and forth. Seriously considering restarting the game on 'easy' with Isa. I'm an embarrassment to my Facebook name :p

I got through her with 6 HP left.

Only died once.

Man this game is such a rush. I'm glad I stuck with Kachi too. Her auto-lock was weird at first but really useful in some situations.

stuminus3

So, this might sound silly, but... story discussion?

The game itself doesn't really fill in any of the blanks or even really make much sense on it's own (just like the first game, or any other old-school game), but Treasure have actually crafted quite an interesting universe and story for such an arcade-like game.

After watching the extended ending that shows the somewhat obvious revelation that
Kachi is Achi
, it seems to me that
Isa and his parents are the only characters in the game with any actual good intentions, that could be seen as bad only because they've ended up wrapped up or been influenced by a bigger picture.

I'm quite sure none of what is revealed about the S&P universe with the new game actually existed in the minds of Treasure back when the first game was made, though.

Oh, and
"God" becoming "The Creators" in the Western localization doesn't really make any sense. The "God" referred to in the first game/Japanese S&P2 is never implied to be a God in that sense.

I really enjoy the cheese of the cutscenes and story. They make me laugh and think, which is something really rather rare in games today. Though of course I could understand not liking the cut scenes, they are wacky as hell.

Scythesurge said:
I really enjoy the cheese of the cutscenes and story. They make me laugh and think, which is something really rather rare in games today. Though of course I could understand not liking the cut scenes, they are wacky as hell.

Some 'meh' VA is what kills the scenes for me.

Otherwise I don't mind them.

MemoirsofMimi

Neo Member
I just finished the game on easy. It was pretty much a breeze up until the sixth stage because I didn't really know how to beat the bosses.

The story is just as confusing as ever, though. Sin & Punishment is one of my favourite games for the Nintendo 64, and the same can be said about Star Successor in regards to Wii. Both are amazing despite their somewhat confusing story.

And for anyone who hasn't bought this: Go out and buy this right now. This is by far the game of the year for the Wii. In my eyes, it's even better than Galaxy 2, and that's saying something as I thought that game was amazing.

Hiltz

Boss tips

Samurai girl - Dodge forward to avoid the green projectiles. Right before she performs her melee attack to charge at you, start to perform two melee attacks in a row a bit early. Continue to do this until she gets dizzy which gives you the opportunity to land some free hits on her.

Shaman - Stay on the far side of one of the screens and wait for one of jet of water to come at you, then dodge it. Use your melee attack to destroy the blue orb-like projectiles that appear alongside the red orbs. When she transforms and performs her explosive melee hand attacks, dodge in the opposite direction of where she's aiming at. When she summons the orbs that make those boney spike columns, stay on one side of the screen and destroy it, then immediatly dodge to the opposite side of the screen to avoid her explosive melee hand attack. Avoid and ignore hitting the big rock projectile as breaking it only turns it into smaller pieces that clutters the screen. If you do want to hit the big rock, then use your melee attack twice on it as it comes towards you ,then wait a split second and use it one more time as it stops and then hurls back towards you.

Just got the game today! I'm glad since it will give me a nice break from Monster Hunter. I opened up the instruction manual and started reading the story, and I'm already lost before the game even begins! :lol

Fimbulvetr said:
Some 'meh' VA is what kills the scenes for me.

Otherwise I don't mind them.
Some 'meh' VA is also what makes me crack up! The same thing happened with the first game for me. I just don't take any of it too seriously!

Hiltz

JordanLMiller said:
Just got the game today! I'm glad since it will give me a nice break from Monster Hunter. I opened up the instruction manual and started reading the story, and I'm already lost before the game even begins! :lol

Don't feel bad since the franchise's story is confusing to begin with. Just like with the first game, Treasure just throws the player into the story with a vague idea of what is going on and doesn't really bother explaining things in any further detail later on.

For exampe, there's seems to be no connection between the first game's ruffian creatures and the keeper creatures of the sequel. It's as if the sequel's story is a spin-off that ignores the events of the first game.

tim1138

Ok, so I'm at what I'm assuming is the last boss,
I did the boss rush, beat the next guy and now I'm fighting him while protecting Kachi(?). He shoots missiles, bullets, green orbs and eventually swords and you have to deflect them back. I've gotten him down to around 2200/10000HP but most of the time that stuff comes so fast I can't reflect half of it
Clearly there's a trick to this I'm missing.

MemoirsofMimi

Neo Member
Hiltz said:
For exampe, there's seems to be no connection between the first game's ruffian creatures and the keeper creatures of the sequel. It's as if the sequel's story is a spin-off that ignores the events of the first game.

There is a slight reference to the previous game in one of the stages.

MemoirsofMimi

Neo Member
tim1138 said:
Ok, so I'm at what I'm assuming is the last boss,
I did the boss rush, beat the next guy and now I'm fighting him while protecting Kachi(?). He shoots missiles, bullets, green orbs and eventually swords and you have to deflect them back. I've gotten him down to around 2200/10000HP but most of the time that stuff comes so fast I can't reflect half of it

I found it particularly useful to use bombs when there are many orbs coming at you the one time.

stuminus3

tim1138 said:
Are you slicing or shooting? You can shoot everything back at him, much much faster than slicing. If you're doing that already, then I dunno. Just make sure you're aiming for the red balls in the middle of the blue ones as a priority at the start of the battle. Charged shot works good when things get too heated towards the end, too.

MemoirsofMimi

Neo Member
Spirit Icana said:
I'm torn. This game looks like fun, but the surprises might be short-lived. A rent seems to be the best way to go. I can't get myself to push the buy button. Maybe I'll wait and see if a community stays intact weeks later. That should help tell me if the game is really just THAT awesome.

I just don't wanna throw down another $50 for a game if it doesn't have much staying power.

While it's true that the game isn't very long, Sin & Punishment: Star Successor is one of those games that you'll want to keep replaying. The online leaderboards also add some incentive to keep coming back.

It's definitely worth a buy in my eyes for the hardcore gamer, but if you're a more casual gamer, it's probably best to rent it instead.

tim1138

stuminus3 said:
Are you slicing or shooting? You can shoot everything back at him, much much faster than slicing. If you're doing that already, then I dunno. Just make sure you're aiming for the red balls in the middle of the blue ones as a priority at the start of the battle. Charged shot works good when things get too heated towards the end, too.

Ah, that would explain it then.
I was slicing, didn't even try to shoot anything back.

OMG you guys. THIS GAME. SO FRIGGIN GOOD.

PS I pussed out and started out on easy. What are the differences between easy and normal? I assume you take more damage, but do they manage to throw even more enemies and projectiles at you as well? Do the bosses get new attack patterns?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I don't get the boss on Stage 6. That "dog" who is chasing us on the train.

There is a countdown that show up everytime, sometime sooner than my last attempts, sometimes later. How the hell does it works? I keep getting killed because i don't understand how it works. I'm shooting stuff as fast as i can, but the countdown always reach 0 before i can kill everything. I'm tired of seeing that Game Over screen because i dunno what to do.

Bisnic said:
I don't get the boss on Stage 6. That "dog" who is chasing us on the train.

There is a countdown that show up everytime, sometime sooner than my last attempts, sometimes later. How the hell does it works? I keep getting killed because i don't understand how it works. I'm shooting stuff as fast as i can, but the countdown always reach 0 before i can kill everything. I'm tired of seeing that Game Over screen because i dunno what to do.

You've got to slash the parts that link the cars so that they fall back and hit the dog.

MemoirsofMimi

Neo Member
Bisnic said:
It has already been explained how to beat the boss, but the countdown represents how much time you can spend in the air. You're on a train and you can only spend 7 seconds in the air before you'll be blown off.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
MemoirsofMimi said:
It has already been explained how to beat the boss, but the countdown represents how much time you can spend in the air. You're on a train and you can only spend 7 seconds in the air before you'll be blown off.

So THAT was it? It seems logical at first, but damn, i would have never thought about it. I was sure it was because the "dog" got to close to the train and i wasn't fast enough to move to another car.

tim1138

MemoirsofMimi said:
I didn't realize it either until I heard Isa say something about it just before the fight.

Yeah the same thing happened to me, I died kept failing that fight and finally I heard him say something not being able to stay airborne for too long and it clicked.

MemoirsofMimi

Neo Member
tim1138 said:
Yeah the same thing happened to me, I died kept failing that fight and finally I heard him say something not being able to stay airborne for too long and it clicked.

It was times like those that I wish Treasure would make it clear how to beat a particular boss. I found there was a lot of guessing near the end of the game on how to beat bosses.

tim1138

MemoirsofMimi said:
It was times like those that I wish Treasure would make it clear how to beat a particular boss. I found there was a lot of guessing near the end of the game on how to beat bosses.

I really don't mind the trial and error--and on that particular boss Isa makes the statement about being in the air each time you try, so I attributed it to me just not paying attention.

Other than that and an alternate method for the last boss, I haven't had any problems figuring out boss patterns and how you defeat them. I think the key is to play on easy the first time through so you get a feel for the game and the bosses and then move on to normal and hard from there.

So I'm in Stage 6, fighting a boss that
is charging a train
and I'm not sure how to progress. I clear everything that is in front of me but then it gets to the end and nothing happens. I must have overlooked doing something, but I'm pretty surprised that I'm at a point where I'm stuck in this game.

tim1138

Scythesurge said:
So I'm in Stage 6, fighting a boss that
is charging a train
and I'm not sure how to progress. I clear everything that is in front of me but then it gets to the end and nothing happens. I must have overlooked doing something, but I'm pretty surprised that I'm at a point where I'm stuck in this game.

Look a few posts up -
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22156791&postcount=724

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22156864&postcount=726

dkeane

Got it from amazon today and just played for an hour. WOW! So much fun, this game really was made for the Wii Remote. Bosses are cool so far. Looking forward to playing more.

Beat the game with Isa last night, and started with Kachi today. Definitely prefer playing with Isa, but Kachi is a nice change of pace.

Pretty sure I screamed at the TV last night more than I have in a long time. Fucking christ this game can kick your ass.

Hiltz

Taking on the last boss as Kachi this time on easy.

I prefer Isa with his manual aiming system over Kachi's auto-lock.

Didn't see a single game over screen until last boss which went on to kill me 3 times in a row so far.

My hands feel numb.

Holy shit. The Lava stage is one of the best levels I've played in any video game ever.

Okay, so there's a sub that swims in lava. That's, like, enough for one level in any other game. It recalls the best moments of the aircraft carrier stage in S&P 1, except you're fighting a friggin' lava submarine! THEN there's the train ride where you have to send back pieces of your train to kill some mutant thingy running after you. THEN the mutant thingy barfs up its young, which captures Kachi and puts her on a fishing pole (okay, it's a crane). THEN you have to dodge bullets to raise the platforms so Kachi doesn't fall into the rising lava. THEN you actually fight the baby mutant in a 2D shooter battle. THEN you blow up more shit and meet the real end boss, who THEN puts you through bullet hellfire as you bat away ridiculous amounts of missiles while a timer counts down. THEN, as if you haven't had enough, you fight the guy in the air with some blue serpent thing and have to fire back mines at the guy. FINALLY culminating in a one-on-one battle of fisticuffs and the guy does a flash kick. *gasp* Ridiculous. Oscillating between intense moments and crazy Treasure humor.

I really loved the last boss fight there too, but
the fist fight with him is so annoying when you're trying to avoid continues.

Sir Ilpalazzo said:
I really loved the last boss fight there too, but
the fist fight with him is so annoying when you're trying to avoid continues.

I'm playing on easy (for now!), so my experience may be different, but
I found his first form to be the most difficult of the three. I used several continues there. I fell into a rhythm with the punching/dodging fast enough that I didn't use a continue in the fist fight.

I played on normal. I thought that
his first form was the hardest until I realized you should be shooting the robots before him. After I learned that, I started to like the fight a lot more and now I only die there if I get there with no health.

Sir Ilpalazzo said:
I played on normal. I thought that
his first form was the hardest until I realized you should be shooting the robots before him. After I learned that, I started to like the fight a lot more and now I only die there if I get there with no health.

Yeah, I try to mow down the soldiers fast. Once the missiles start coming, though, I get anxious and start volleying them back towards the boss. I should probably still be taking out the robots when that happens though and just pick my shots on the man himself. I'm looking forward to playing on Normal, but I'm expecting an ass-whooping.

Rctdaemon

Arrgh. This is one thing that sucks about being out of state for summer school. I have a copy of S&P2 waiting for me at home until September. Must remain strong and not read the spoilers.

Rctdaemon said:
Arrgh. This is one thing that sucks about being out of state for summer school. I have a copy of S&P2 waiting for me at home until September. Must remain strong and not read the spoilers.

I won't be an asshole and reply to this with a spoiler tag.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
djtiesto said:
shaman

Wait, volley it back?

I just evaded it. :lol

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Rctdaemon said:

Stuff is a sin, and it must be punished by being shooting/slashing at it.

Top Bottom