• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sin and Punishment: Successor of the Skies / Star Successor |OT|

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Beat the game on Normal with Kachi on Friday, then quickly breezed through it with Isa on Easy... now time to play Isa+Kachi mode (I'll be going on normal again)... niiiice, I love how you get 2 separate life bars. Hopefully the game won't be nearly as difficult as the first time through (I had a lot of trouble on Ariana and the first form of the final boss).

Overall, the game is amazing... I think S&P1 had slightly better setpieces, but loved the variety and the controls in 2... so I'd rank them both even.

EDarkness

Picked this up a couple days ago, and damn, this game kicks my ass all over the place. I haven't had a workout like this in a long time, so my hands hurt and I'm rusty as hell. Gonna need a lot more practice. Sad thing is, I'm playing on easy. I forgot how crazy Treasure games are. Good fun so far. Gonna try to beat the "My blood is on fire" babe in the morning. After about 7 times of getting my ass handed to me, I think I need to come back later. Heh, heh.

Effect

Finally got back to the game. Getting my butt handed to me in stage 3 when it comes to
the girl with sword
. Any tips on how to handle this?

I know this is still easy but man things are crazy. Perhaps because I haven't played the game in a few days but I'm struggling with this stage. Though I'm still very much enjoying it.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The story still confuse me,
it's even worst when you beat the final boss and it ends like that. Nothing answered, still lots of confusion about why humans can transform into monsters, or how Kachi's real form looks like... it just sucks. We don't even know what happen to the 2 of them or anything.

The game is really fun, but damn do they suck at telling a story.

Wow. Finally beat the game on Hard. Isa only.

Insane challenge, but a blast. I have to hand to Treasure for keeping it so well balanced and making it my fault when I died, for the most part. A couple parts near the end felt a little "cheap" though.

In the Dual Samurai boss on Stage 7, I really wish this was placed against a black background. Because the camera is so zoomed out, I had a lot of trouble tracking my tiny blue character, fighting two tiny bluish-green characters, shooting blue shit, against the wavy blue/green background. I died several times because of this.

Also, I feel Deko breaks the rules that Treasure has set out. Pretty much, if you play the game perfectly, you shouldn't get hit. Deko's bullet-hell grid attack, though, guarantees damage. Granted, if I didn't sustain any other damage on the level, that wouldn't kill me. Still, the only reason I beat him is because he decided, mercifully, not to do the attack twice. Also, the pink beams crossing while the blades shoot up, seems near-impossible to track with the human eye. Just too much going on.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Bisnic said:
The story still confuse me,
it's even worst when you beat the final boss and it ends like that. Nothing answered, still lots of confusion about why humans can transform into monsters, or how Kachi's real form looks like... it just sucks. We don't even know what happen to the 2 of them or anything.

The game is really fun, but damn do they suck at telling a story.

Beat the game with both characters then in Kachi & Isa mode to get an extended ending. I assume you own the game, so read the manual. It fills in the story...somewhat.

Freezie KO said:
Wow. Finally beat the game on Hard. Isa only.

Insane challenge, but a blast. I have to hand to Treasure for keeping it so well balanced and making it my fault when I died, for the most part. A couple parts near the end felt a little "cheap" though.

In the Dual Samurai boss on Stage 7, I really wish this was placed against a black background. Because the camera is so zoomed out, I had a lot of trouble tracking my tiny blue character, fighting two tiny bluish-green characters, shooting blue shit, against the wavy blue/green background. I died several times because of this.

Also, I feel Deko breaks the rules that Treasure has set out. Pretty much, if you play the game perfectly, you shouldn't get hit. Deko's bullet-hell grid attack, though, guarantees damage. Granted, if I didn't sustain any other damage on the level, that wouldn't kill me. Still, the only reason I beat him is because he decided, mercifully, not to do the attack twice. Also, the pink beams crossing while the blades shoot up, seems near-impossible to track with the human eye. Just too much going on.

I absolutely agree with the stage 7 Hibaru fight. It's my second least favorite boss, up there with the horrible, luck-based Deko fist-fight.

You can stop stage 7 Deko from doing his bullet hell attack twice by hitting him with a charged shot before he does it the first time. Well, actually you can only stop the double attack once, so you should do it at the beginning and then try to kill him as he does it the second time.

Sir Ilpalazzo said:
I absolutely agree with the stage 7 Hibaru fight. It's my second least favorite boss, up there with the horrible, luck-based Deko fist-fight.

You can stop stage 7 Deko from doing his bullet hell attack twice by hitting him with a charged shot before he does it the first time. Well, actually you can only stop the double attack once, so you should do it at the beginning and then try to kill him as he does it the second time.

Just for clarification, his first two attacks are always the pink crossing beams. And then the bullet hell attack. If I hit him with a charged shot anytime before the first bullet hell attack, I can stop him from doing it a second time? Or do you mean, right before it? As if to preempt the first time he does it? Because the first thing I do is always fire off a charge attack before the pink beams.

Don't use your charged shot immediately. While he's winding up for the bullet hell slash, blast him and he'll immediately go to the four pink beams. Then he'll do the second bullet hell slash, but he won't do both.

In other words, interrupt the very first bullet hell attack you see.

But you can only do this once per fight, so if he lives long enough to do it again, he will do both.

Sir Ilpalazzo said:
Don't use your charged shot immediately. While he's winding up for the bullet hell slash, blast him and he'll immediately go to the four pink beams. Then he'll do the second bullet hell slash, but he won't do both.

In other words, interrupt the very first bullet hell attack you see.

But you can only do this once per fight, so if he lives long enough to do it again, he will do both.

Gotcha. I always wasted the shot right away and subsequently dipped to about 800 health right off the bat. Next time I decide to start up Hard mode again (um... yeah... I think I'll play a Normal round first...) then I'll try what you said.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Putting spoiler tags around things that are not related to plot is probably my biggest pet peeve about gaming forums.

In other news, I've had the US version in my possession for over a week now and I still haven't made the time to actually play it yet. I'm a terrible person.

Dascu

The fight against Hibaru in Stage 7 is without a doubt the most annoying one. It's very difficult to keep track of where you and your opponents are. Only fight in the game where I thought I was doing something wrong since it felt too messy by Treasure standards.

Sixfortyfive said:
Putting spoiler tags around things that are not related to plot is probably my biggest pet peeve about gaming forums.

Eh. If I'm checking out a thread for impressions, I appreciate it. Part of the fun is seeing what genre/gameplay-style/mechanic Treasure is going to throw at you next. I'd rather have the story spoiled than any potentially surprising gameplay elements.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I thought the Habaru fight in stage 7, where
she splits into the two characters
, was the easiest of the bunch.

It's a lot worse on Hard mode because the
blades that circle the screen when she's down to 500 health
are there from the beginning, and everything does 200 damage so you can only take five hits total. I still really hate the
Deko fist-fight
though, so as cool as it is I have to say that it's worse than Hibaru.

I think it's important to spoiler gameplay-related stuff in a game that's this focused on combat strategy.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I am loving this game but hit another road block
The level 6 boss when you are on the Train, I get I have to hit the levers to fling parts of the train into him but I keep getting killed, any tips etc?

jufonuk said:
I am loving this game but hit another road block
The level 6 boss when you are on the Train, I get I have to hit the levers to fling parts of the train into him but I keep getting killed, any tips etc?

This might help you:
If you spend too long in the air you get a countdown timer, when that hits zero you get blown off the train and die. Just try and keep your feet on the train as much as you can.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Air Zombie Meat said:
This might help you:
If you spend too long in the air you get a countdown timer, when that hits zero you get blown off the train and die. Just try and keep your feet on the train as much as you can.

oh thats what that is

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
As a general rule of thumb you should keep your feet planted on the ground always unless it's absolutely necessary for you to jump or float or whatever.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Cheer Gaf, until next time ;)
I don't suck that much Honest, I hope I don't, I just put it down not being able to devote more than 1 or 2 hours at a time to gaming in general

Edit Woohoo, just beat him.:D

Can someone who's good at this game help me out? I have all the Special Medals in Stage 1 except for one. I read that I need to deflect missiles, but it seems like no matter I can't get the final medal.

Anyone know how to get it?

Got this yesterday. I wasn't too crazy about the original, but wow is this intense. Just beat stage 3. The
Hibaru
fight was ridiculous.

Really glad I didn't give this a pass like I was originally planning to.

McNum

Beat the game with Isa/Easy yesterday. Glad to see Treasure is still as nuts as ever. The boss designs range from awesome to "What the hell?" and it all controlled flawlessly. I guess it's Kachi time now!

Finally got around to buying the game. The lack of interest in this title is sad to see. Rail shooters are one of my absolute favorite genres and the greats are dying out one by one. Panzer Dragoon ended with Orta, and now S&P will end with Star Successor. At least both went out on a high note.

By the second level I already have the same slack jawed look of amazement and immersion that the first game gave me. Good rail shooters will do that.

Any self respecting core gamer with a Wii needs to buy this.

My only regret is that I don't have a nice big flatscreen to play this on.

Sixfortyfive

I also finally got off my ass and put some time into this yesterday. Got careless and died once in Easy mode about halfway through. I'm so noob.

I will hopefully have a Normal mode 1cc and score up eventually. Or at least something close to that. The final boss always did kick my ass pretty hard.

EatChildren

Attention Australians!

If you cant be arsed importing, JB-HiFi have done the duty themselves and imported a number of copies at select stores. Retails for $89 so quite pricey, but if importing is not an option and you want the game (and you do, trust me) then make sure to pay your JB-HiFi a visit.

Stores which have imported copies are;

- MELBOURNE CITY
- KNOX
- HIGHPOINT
- FRANKSTON
- PERTH CITY
- CHADSTONE
- RINGWOOD
- ADELAIDE CITY
- MARION
- CANBERRA CITY
- WERRIBEE PLAZA
- SYDNEY CITY
- NARRE WARREN
- BELCONNEN
- BOURKE STREET
- MACQUARIE
- HORNSBY
- WHITFORD
- MIRANDA
- CHATSWOOD
- SOUTHLAND
- PENRITH
- LIVERPOOL
- ELIZABETH SA
- CHERMSIDE
- MYAREE
- IPSWICH
- WATERGARDENS
- HOBART
- GARDEN CITY - KOTARA
- BLACKTOWN
- WESTFIELD PARRAMATTA
- STRAND ARCADE
- DONCASTER
- CAROUSEL
- MALAGA
- JOONDALUP
- ROCKINGHAM
- PERTH - ENEX100
- WORLD SQUARE

Man this game is awesome. I just beat the Ethereal Forest stage. That boss was a pain.

The only way to play this game is on Normal or higher in my opinion. It's not quite as hard as the original thanks to the Wii controls but still bitching hard on the bosses.

I decided to start my first play through on Hard, and I'm having a hell of a time proceding. Would I miss any content (cutscenes, etc) if I were to start over on Normal?

_dementia said:
I decided to start my first play through on Hard, and I'm having a hell of a time proceding. Would I miss any content (cutscenes, etc) if I were to start over on Normal?
I doubt it. The game is relatively light on cutscenes to begin with. It's possible that harder difficulties have added gameplay segments--I seem to recall something like that in the original--but you won't miss much.

Ignis Fatuus said:
I doubt it. The game is relatively light on cutscenes to begin with. It's possible that harder difficulties have added gameplay segments--I seem to recall something like that in the original--but you won't miss much.
Thanks, what about unlocks?
(spoiler tag if necessary)

Okay I'm on Level 6 and this
little fucker with the crane
is driving me crazy. I get that I'm supposed to
balance attacking him with raising the platforms but my hoe keeps getting an unwanted lava bath no matter how what I do
. There's no health bar either so I can't tell how close I am to winning.

Is there a particular way to go about this?

Effect

Ignis Fatuus said:
Okay I'm on Level 6 and this
little fucker with the crane
is driving me crazy. I get that I'm supposed to
balance attacking him with raising the platforms but my hoe keeps getting an unwanted lava bath no matter how what I do
. There's no health bar either so I can't tell how close I am to winning.

Is there a particular way to go about this?

Just worry about balancing the platforms. The goal is to move them up as fast as possible as the lava is actually rising (didn't notice this at first myself and died twice as a result). What I did was while shooting and doing a charge shot made one side higher then the other then worked on the other side until it was higher then the other then did the other side. I ignore the creature I believe. Just dodged as best you can and focus on the platforms and you'll get to the top.

Hero

The stage 6 Deko fight frustrated the hell out of me for 15 minutes straight. Holy crap was that hard. Just so much stuff to worry about on the screen.

The stage 7 boss rush fight was really awesome and I actually thought all the bosses aside from Deko were easier, beat them on the first try on normal. But the last boss was kind of frustratingly cheap. And the very last part I couldn't figure out what to do with the green orbs and it took me a while there too.

Still fucking awesome though.

Has anyone figured out the plot for the series?

Effect said:
Just worry about balancing the platforms. The goal is to move them up as fast as possible as the lava is actually rising (didn't notice this at first myself and died twice as a result). What I did was while shooting and doing a charge shot made one side higher then the other then worked on the other side until it was higher then the other then did the other side. I ignore the creature I believe. Just dodged as best you can and focus on the platforms and you'll get to the top.
I knew I was doing it wrong.

Thanks, that was easy.

Hero said:
Has anyone figured out the plot for the series?
I prided myself on being able to make some sense of the original while playing it. Not many people could. I'm following this one okay too--I'm just not sure how it connects aside from Isa being Saki and Airan's son. I still have no idea who the Nebulox are aside from being bad guys.

sfried

Ignis Fatuus said:
I prided myself on being able to make some sense of the original while playing it. Not many people could. I'm following this one okay too--I'm just not sure how it connects aside from Isa being Saki and Airan's son. I still have no idea who the Nebulox are aside from being bad guys.
Nebulox is Outer Space from what I undertsnad.

Also, there's the UK site regarding this backstory. Obviously the references to God were tuned down to The Creators for American purposes.

Stage 7: Fuck yes, I was waiting for that. Isa is Saki's son alright.

Overall it's a great game and worthy successor (lol) to the original, but I think the original was a lot better. I believe it was the floating around that really took something away from the format. Before when you were grounded there was more of a connection to your character--you really felt like you were running through these insane environments taking on impossible odds. In this game it sometimes felt more like Ikaruga than S&P.

Even in the legendary carrier level you were riding around on a piece of metal rather than floating on your own. It's just not the same type of awesome. They tried to recreate that feeling with the
lava sub
but it really wasn't the same.

Also compare Level 1 of S&P to Level 1 of S&P2. The art felt a lot more sterile this time around. It was too clean, almost washed out. Not enough colors and contrast.

I would say this was decidedly less ambitious than the first game.

Sixfortyfive

Has anyone written down a list of all the secret bonus points and how to obtain them?

If not, anyone up for figuring them all out together?

AniHawk

So I started playing it and, honestly I wasn't feeling it for stages 0 and 1, but stage 2 was fucking awesome and I need more.

McNum

Unlockable spoiler (for beating the game with both characters, any difficulty):
Isa and Kachi mode is almost cheating. I get two health bars, and their charge shots recharge independently?
Oh, there'll be payback on a few bosses this time around...

Last stage spoiler:
Question, in this mode, do I get to swap ammo in the final stage? Isa is transformed, and Kachi is inside him, but he used Kachi's weapon in my Kachi playthrough. I hope so, I want to give the final boss a double dose of charged shots.

Effect

Finally finished the game with Isa. Need to take a break from this though before I run through it again with the other character. Surprised myself that I didn't die in the final battle. Though it was pretty close and even on Easy this game is hard.

McNum said:
Question, in this mode, do I get to swap ammo in the final stage? Isa is transformed, and Kachi is inside him, but he used Kachi's weapon in my Kachi playthrough. I hope so, I want to give the final boss a double dose of charged shots.

You can switch weapons, but not health bars.

AniHawk

GOD DAMN, SON

2010's been a great year

I had some serious, serious problems doing melee though. I didn't know how to do it until the boss fight when you really needed to do it in stage 3, and I had to go to my options and map it to the c button. worked out pretty well

Top Bottom