• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sin and Punishment: Successor of the Skies / Star Successor |OT|

[Nintex]

Regulus Tera said:
It seems to me most people complain about the two-player mode (I TOLD YOU TREASURE) and the length, which was to be expected.
At first I was dissapointed that the second player was only a pointer on the screen. Now that I've played it, I'm glad it's like that. The screen is already crowded with lasers, rockets and explosions, I don't know how they could stuck a second player in there and how the hell I would be able to avoid everything at the same time. :lol

The Eurogamer review made me realize something

Cover shooting will never, ever feel as good as Sin & Punishment's emphasis on dodging and reflecting.

eXistor

I just got it. I have to wait till after work to play it though. I never played the first, so I'm pretty psyched!

Galang

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
It seems to me most people complain about the two-player mode (I TOLD YOU TREASURE) and the length, which was to be expected.

Don't get the complaint about length in a game like this when it's already a fair bit longer.

Although 2 Player mode I understand, but I'm guessing it was too much of a hassle for Treasure to rework the mechanics for two players on-screen? Really unfortunate though, this game is perfect for it.

wsippel

Banned
Galang said:
Don't get the complaint about length in a game like this when it's already a fair bit longer.

Although 2 Player mode I understand, but I'm guessing it was too much of a hassle for Treasure to rework the mechanics for two players on-screen? Really unfortunate though, this game is perfect for it.
It's not only the mechanics, they'd also have to rewrite large parts of the story.

Fnac doesnt have the game a friday!!!
Fuck you Fnac, I wanted to use my discount!

Fuckin liars told me the only game released today was Bakugan (or some shit like that) :lol

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Galang said:

It probably has more to do with keeping the game at 60 FPS.

Speaking of which, hey [Nintex], is there any slowdown? I remember like three instances of that happening in the Japanese version, but I always linked that to playing in a hacked Wii.

[Nintex]

Regulus Tera said:
It probably has more to do with keeping the game at 60 FPS.

Speaking of which, hey [Nintex], is there any slowdown? I remember like three instances of that happening in the Japanese version, but I always linked that to playing in a hacked Wii.
Well I think I noticed some slowdown in the second stage during some camera transitions but overall it runs smooth as butter.

Mafro

Played the first two stages so far and thoroughly enjoying it.

Love the artwork, and the reversible cover thing.

Dr.Hadji

ShockingAlberto said:
The Eurogamer review made me realize something

Cover shooting will never, ever feel as good as Sin & Punishment's emphasis on dodging and reflecting.

Thank you. I've known as much since Mega Man 2. Dodging bullets >> hiding from them.

Mafro

Oxx said:
I might bite the bullet on the £30 price-tag. Need to get my Nintendo stars bonus...
I bought it from GAME :| £39.99, but I traded in Borderlands for £10 and Fragile Dreams for £16.50.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Fuck. This is the first time since Minish Cap that I feel a completely irrational desire to import.

Got this today, started with Isa on Easy and played up to the Stage 02. Apparently I'm ranked 10th in Europe with 24'762'854 points on that stage. Booya. :lol

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
IGN UK's review (9.2):

IGN said:
Faults with Sin & Punishment: Successor of the Skies are thankfully few: the co-op mode is a squib, aping Mario Galaxy’s ill-fated approach in only offering the second player a reticule, and a single playthrough is, by some standards, a little slim at around six hours. However, it’s churlish to complain when those hours are so fully packed with such tightly crafted play and a succession of surprises. Forget bullet hell - Treasure has created an awesome slice of bullet heaven.

Glass Soldier said:
Got this today, started with Isa on Easy and played up to the Stage 02. Apparently I'm ranked 10th in Europe with 24'762'854 points on that stage. Booya. :lol

My record there is like, forty million. :p

Easy mode is for pussies though!

Regulus Tera said:
My record there is like, forty million. :p

Easy mode is for pussies though!

It was my first try, man :mad: I stopped playing though. Knowing me, I'd just play it all day and fail my finals. I'll come back to it in August :(

Won't keep that rank for long, eh?

Edit: How would you rank the stages?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Glass Soldier said:
It was my first try, man :mad: I stopped playing though. Knowing me, I'd just play it all day and fail my finals. I'll come back to it in August :(

Won't keep that rank for long, eh?

Edit: How would you rank the stages?
3>7>1>5>2>6>4>0

If I had to give them a score it would be
3,7, and 1: 10, 5 and 2: 9, 6: 8, 4:8, 0:7

Regulus Tera said:
Is that a Goddamn that's awesome! or a Goddamn what the fuck?!?

The former of course. The first two stages (wihout counting Stage 0) were awesome so I'm happy to hear that there are even better ones.

Also, I've been playing it on a 23" Full HD LCD and it looks great aside from the aliasing on Isa and Kachi and some minor low-res textures.

jay

So if I must choose between buying this game, Galaxy 2, and killing myself, which option should I take?

jay said:
So if I must choose between buying this game, Galaxy 2, and killing myself, which option should I take?

Haven't you read the GameDaily review? Galaxy 2 is a cash-in and the story is crap.

Seriously though, buy Sin & Punishment 2.

samratty

Mine hasn't arrived yet :(
I guess it'll be here by Monday, fiending for Sin and Punishment now. I'll have to finish Shadow Complex and Red Steel 2 in the mean time me thinks.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
civilstrife said:

04.jpg

:lol :lol

Vinci

Danish
jay said:

Kill yourself. Making a choice between the other two is just going to turn you to suicide anyway.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Just got it today , had a bash at it really liked it (only played level 0) had to go to work for a night shift (which I am at now) but ohh yeah is it some old school goodness, cannot wait to get into this some more :D

thefil

Just wanted to pop in here to voice my extreme jealousy on behalf of all North Americans.

Europe, I hope your vengeance is sweet.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
thefil said:
Just wanted to pop in here to voice my extreme jealousy on behalf of all North Americans.

Europe, I hope your vengeance is sweet.

I'm feeling really jealous too :(

Every gameplay vid I have seen looks amazing.

This game is incredible. Tbh, I was largely buying it to support these more obscure, quality titles on Wii, and even though I love Treasure (and the original) I wasn't expecting too much. Wow, I was taken utterly by surprise, one of my favourite shmups ever now. So well made and so many cool details. For instance, even after 5 or 6 tries at beating the same boss (looking at you stage 4 'commander'), they have whole sequences, moves and tactics you hadn't seen before. Can't wait to go back and finish the last two stages tomorrow.

It is also paced like a dope fiend on crack.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Teknoman said:
So the actual N64 version ran at a higher framerate or less stable?

I'd guess that based on the graphics in the game and comparing it to what they had to do to get F-Zero running at 60 fps on the N64, S&P1 was 30 fps on the N64.

Top Bottom