• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sin and Punishment: Successor of the Skies / Star Successor |OT|

jufonuk

not tag worthy
mugwhump said:
Goddamn flying samurai bitch, making fun of my hoverboarding monkey girlfriend ;_;
She's like the shinobu of this game, just died like 5 times, but it was so fun! I also can't believe I'm only on stage 3. Wow.

I cannot defeat her yet, will try again soon

any hints advice?

I heard you just meant to dash like a nutter and sword attack all out

please spoiler any hints for me so others don't get er spoiled??

jufonuk said:
I cannot defeat her yet, will try again soon

any hints advice?

I heard you just meant to dash like a nutter and sword attack all out

please spoiler any hints for me so others don't get er spoiled??
Shots are pointless, don't bother with them most of the time. What I do is just dodge her attacks and bait her close, then dodge roll toward her so I end up behind her and slash twice. Generally both slashes don't hit, but sometimes they do, and three (if you miss the second one) will get you hit.

The hard part is timing the dodge rolling toward her so you don't go too far and end up outside of sword range.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
ShockingAlberto said:
Shots are pointless, don't bother with them most of the time. What I do is just dodge her attacks and bait her close, then dodge roll toward her so I end up behind her and slash twice. Generally both slashes don't hit, but sometimes they do, and three (if you miss the second one) will get you hit.

The hard part is timing the dodge rolling toward her so you don't go too far and end up outside of sword range.

thank you :D will try that

mugwhump

Some more hints:
If you slash at the same time she does, your attacks will clash. Do this twice and she'll get stunned. Another easy way to hit her is to bounce her off the sides of the forcefield. So just hang out by the edge and dodge. You should be able to get one or two full 3-hit combos on her. When I stunned her by the edge I got three whole combos.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
To defeat Hibaru Yaju: Attack Aggressively!

If you stay away from her she will spam her green projectiles and bait you into a free hit. Instead, you should make her attack you from the get go -stay about half a screen near her, and time your sword slash/kick correctly. Repeat enough times and you'll get a Special Medal, as well as a free stun. Isa's Charge Shot connects while she's stunned! Kachi's too, but that one takes too much time and you can get more damage by shooting her with normal bullets while you get closer to her and then using your melee attack.

After her life bar goes down from 1500, your melee attacks won't work. Start shooting, shooting, shooting. Destroy the spheres she spawns as soon as you can, because those reflect her lasers and make it very difficult to figure out where in the screen is it safe to stay. Basically, during this phase you have to do the complete opposite of the first one.

Afterwards she goes back to the first phase, except that if you get close enough this time she will grab you with her hair or something. Once again, maintain a distance, but bait her into attacking you.

After that be prepared for the best boss fight of the game. :D

Sixfortyfive said:
I remember there being a lot of significant and appropriate difficulty spikes, but the only one that sticks out to me now is the final boss on hard mode. Good fucking luck with that, btw. :lol

Ha ha ha, yes. (Spoilers for the final boss!)

[Nintex]

Just finished it, I played it on normal with Isa and wanted to throw my controller against the wall a couple of times. Once I figured all the patterns and such I expected the game to be easier. So I started another round with Kaichi, got untill stage 3 or so without any game over screen then I watched my 35 million or so points vanish in thin air.... :(

Long story short, OMG THIS GAME IS AMAZING

Oxx

Played a couple of stages earlier. Good stuff. It's amazing it has taken this long for a rail-shooter like this to come along. It feels so perfect with the pointer.

[Nintex]

Mafro said:
Treasure really need to do a Star Fox game.
Nintendo needs to do a new Star Fox game, otherwise It'll take another 2/3 years for it to come out and the franchise will be all but dead by then.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Scythesurge said:
Yeah I think that would be an awesome fit for the franchise.

In other news, I really wish I was playing this game now, damn you Europe!

How does it feel? are those tears bitter sweet? hmm the wait is worth it I can tell you :lol
such a succulent game, I hope you are not crying yourself to sleep.. America Gets treated like the red head step child for a while and Europe is shown the love, how does it feel oh mighty Megatron?? <-- but seriously import if you can so worth it :D

Mafro

jufonuk said:
such a succulent game
:lol

Add me to the list of folk having trouble with that damn samurai girl, turned it off in frustration and played Monster Hunter instead but will try again later.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
becks said:
Just made two vids of the game. A great game for wii so far. Perhaps you''ll also like it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWP0-SW63zE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhWGfaTJoJM

Try not flying around unless you absolutely need to. It increases your score and you can move sideways quicker than while airborne.

Rabbitwork said:
just wanted to come in here and post this:

EDGE Online Review (8/10)

which is quite possibly the worst game review i have ever read. period. ever.

Hardly. I see nothing particularly irksome about that review.

eXistor

Jesus, the final boss is pissing me off. I think I must have died about 20 times now and I'm still nowhere near beating him. Any tips maybe? I'm having trouble with
the homing metal balls that seem to come randomly at you, so you can't knock them all away in one combo, one always seems to hit you in your cooldown period. Also the steady red rain of bullets are seemingly impossible to dodge. The first wave is fine, but then he unleashes a second, wave at the same time, I don't see a way to not get hit. I've read on gamefaqs that you can knock back the spear he throws at you, but I haven;t been able to do so. The furthest I've been able to come is 1300/3500 and that was lucky, most of the times I'm around 1600/3500 when I die.

Other than this minor snag, it's a fantastic game, I'm amazed at how diverse the levels are. The bossfights are generally fantastic as well. Glad I gave this one a shot.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Mafro said:
:lol

Add me to the list of folk having trouble with that damn samurai girl, turned it off in frustration and played Monster Hunter instead but will try again later.

Learned to add the sword attack to the '-' button spam the hell out of it , for her first wave of attacks

then lock on and shoot for all your worth in her second wave
don't forget
to evade like mad!
Repeat = victory, Ps don't give up it is worth is

Rabbitwork said:
just wanted to come in here and post this:

EDGE Online Review (8/10)

which is quite possibly the worst game review i have ever read. period. ever.

The only thing is the video clip plays without sound at work, I take or leave edge reviews, I like to make my own mind up. I will listen to what they say but the one buying the games is me so if I like it I buy it and keep it if not I trade it in or don't buy it in the first place.

Haunted

Rented it, some impressions: it's classic rail shooter action. Really has that arcade feel to it, Treasure knows how to nail that.

Most parts of the game are fucking ugly if you stop to look, but if you're doing that, you're playing it wrong. :lol It's all about fluidity, motion and relentless action.

Can't think of a better rail shooter this gen right now.

edit: just read that EDGE review (some weird grammar choices in there), but this point is exactly what I'm talking about:
Each individual art asset may be graphically rough (cutscenes are particularly gruesome), but the scale and unfaltering speed impresses.
Not to mention that I love the boss design!

[Nintex]

eXistor said:
Jesus, the final boss is pissing me off. I think I must have died about 20 times now and I'm still nowhere near beating him. Any tips maybe? I'm having trouble with
the homing metal balls that seem to come randomly at you, so you can't knock them all away in one combo, one always seems to hit you in your cooldown period. Also the steady red rain of bullets are seemingly impossible to dodge. The first wave is fine, but then he unleashes a second, wave at the same time, I don't see a way to not get hit. I've read on gamefaqs that you can knock back the spear he throws at you, but I haven;t been able to do so. The furthest I've been able to come is 1300/3500 and that was lucky, most of the times I'm around 1600/3500 when I die.

Other than this minor snag, it's a fantastic game, I'm amazed at how diverse the levels are. The bossfights are generally fantastic as well. Glad I gave this one a shot.
I had a hard time with the final boss too but...

Remember that you can move the camera in this battle when you fly to the sides, you don't have to stay in the same spot.

When the first homing balls attack keep rolling downwards and you won't get hit that many times. When he's about to throw something forward(you can see his arm glowing red) hit him with a charge shot and he'll revert to the laser finger attack that is easier to dodge. Also when he fired about a million bullets that he commands up-down-left-right shoot at the bullets that he's firing in the background, they won't end up on your screen and fly with the direction of the bullets to evade them.

When he fires the homing balls for a second time, keep rolling/flying up. Congrats you might've beat him, now get ready for the real challenge...

You can get the game for $42.49 (pre-tax)+ Free Poster + Sin & Punishment Special Edition 500 Wii Points Card at gamestop.com!

Use the following coupons:
15wiids (15% off all wii/ds games)
saver (free super saver shipping)

dani_dc

Just played stage 0 and 1(and got to, what I think is, the last boss of stage 2) love the game, "unfortunately" every time I see a gameover screen I have the tendancy to exit the game and go play a single stage for high score :lol

The online leader boards of stage 0 ends up at 303, hopefully that's not a sign of how the game sold in Europe.

In regards of other games in this genre, more than a new Starfox, I would love to see a new Panzer Dragoon for the Wii.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I'm sure it's quite a bit more than 303.
Most people tend to not take their Wiis online, in my experience.
I'm sure it didn't sell well, though. :(

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
dani_dc said:
The online leader boards of stage 0 ends up at 303, hopefully that's not a sign of how the game sold in Europe.

Mejilan said:
I'm sure it's quite a bit more than 303.
Most people tend to not take their Wiis online, in my experience.
I'm sure it didn't sell well, though. :(

The online leaderboards in the Japanese version only showed the top scores and those in the vicinity of yours.

As to why did it do that, I don't know.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Oxx said:
I swear this is much more difficult than the N64 game.

And I'm playing on easy!
Easy mode is easier than S&P1's easy mode imo.

Hard mode is a loooot harder. I could 1cc S&P1's Hard mode on a good day. That's never happening on this game.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=75107

Gamestop said:
Reserve Sin & Punishment: Star Successor and receive a Sin and Punishment: Star Successor poster. Available for online customers only while supplies last. Not available for in-store or in-store pickup orders.

Online Customers: Sin and Punishment: Star Successor poster will ship with your game.

Okay, I'm cancelling my in-store pre-order tomorrow morning.

EDIT:
230659_bonusLG.jpg

I hope that's not the poster... It would be cooler if it were, say, Suzuki's art for the instruction booklet.

totowhoa

Banned
:lol Was about to pre-order online until I saw that image. If they have a badass poster I will totally switch to an online preorder <3 CANNOT wait for this game. Finally got the n64 version a couple months ago in anticipation... beat easy and normal, but hard mode is fucking me up. Plan is to beat it on hard by the time this releases..

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sorry Tera, but I don't think I can play the S&P1 you gifted me. I just can't wrap my head around these analog controls and button-based movement.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Andrex said:
Sorry Tera, but I don't think I can play the S&P1 you gifted me. I just can't wrap my head around these analog controls and button-based movement.

Classic Controller Pro is the best way to go, imo. What controller option are you using?

Sixfortyfive

Type 1 is superior imo. You have two options with it basically:

- move with X/Y and aim with left stick
- move with d-pad and aim with right stick

So just use whichever method feels more natural. I use X/Y because it's closest to the original game's C-button layout.

mugwhump

Wow that dickjerk boss where it suddenly switched to a
fighting game
was hard. And his backflip kick move is broken. BROKEN

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I just finished the games and my eyes are bleeding. Holy fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck this game was so amazingly awesome. Not only are the stage designs awesome (yet still wacky and lighthearted at spots, see the
Newborn Keeper/crane
bossfight) it has so many different options to tackle the enemies and present itself with opportunities for high scores too. Playing for highscores is just compelling as hell, even if you're not ever likely to rank highly on the leaderboards.

I don't think I can handle hard mode though. It might be a bit too much for me.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
*sigh*
No amount of Prince of Persia or SMG2 or Trauma Team makes up for the fact that I still don't have this game.
I also wish I had more to contribute to this thread that sporadic wistful longing!

izakq

Regulus Tera said:
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=75107

Okay, I'm cancelling my in-store pre-order tomorrow morning.

EDIT:
230659_bonusLG.jpg

I hope that's not the poster... It would be cooler if it were, say, Suzuki's art for the instruction booklet.

There's another bonus added in pre-ordering from GameStop. A free Wii 500 point card. This offer is available both online and in-store pickup. The poster is, as Regulus stated, is an online purchase only.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Sixfortyfive said:
? for those who own both the JP and PAL versions: Are save files compatible between the two?

Why would they be?

And hey, it's not as if you had to grind. Just play the game again.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Sixfortyfive said:
? for those who own both the JP and PAL versions: Are save files compatible between the two?

I can confirm that they're not, I've sold my JPN copy but I still had my saves of course.

But it's rather obvious anyway, I don't see how they could be compatible at all.

Sixfortyfive

I've played games on other consoles that could utilize save files across different region releases. Didn't think it would be the case with this, but I wanted to check.

Top Bottom