• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sin and Punishment: Successor of the Skies / Star Successor |OT|

MechaX said:
Given how much Europe gets screwed over in game releases, this is definitely the US's just deserts. But I mean, what in the hell is going on with NOA that they can only get this game out two months from now? Does the EU version have an english dub?

Because we got Disaster Day of Crisis & Another Code R. I would've totally bought this game right after Galaxy 2, as it won't take too long to beat it. I beat the first Galaxy after several days. Now I have to wait until the end of June to friggin play this? >_>;

Stallion Free said:
I'd guess that based on the graphics in the game and comparing it to what they had to do to get F-Zero running at 60 fps on the N64, S&P1 was 30 fps on the N64.

Correct, S&P was 30FPS. Very very few N64 games ran at 60FPS (The only two I can think of are F-zero X and Super Smash Bros - and that one had a lot of slowdown on the original N64. Thankfully, the VC version is a constant 60FPS at least :D)

Technically, Perfect Dark was also capped at 60FPS, but it almost never reached it (or even 30FPS for that matter :lol) So if you run it in an emulator, the game actually runs at 60FPS!

eXistor

I've been playing a stage a day and I love the game. It really isn't my genre, but I felt I had to support this game and I've been playing selected Treasure games over the last 16 years and while I always like them, I've never really mastered any of them (maybe only Guardian Heroes which is still my favorite Treasure game). That said, I probably won't be mastering this, but I am really enjoying it a lot. I have the greatest respect for these kind of games, they feel like a slice of pure unadultered videogaming to me and I think it's something that has to survive in the future (as corny as that may sound). I love how sometimes you get stuck on a new boss, but after repeated tries and paying actual attention to what it's doing you can make it your bitch after a while. I know that's nothing new, but it's still expertly done. I've never felt frustrated by the game while I have felt that way with other, more casual shooters.

The final boss of this game is just brutal (and the boss of penultimate stage too). I must have spent nearly an hour trying to beat his penultimate form. Replaying the same 4 minutes over and over, and it was still tons of fun! I was a bit disappointed with the ending though (so short?), but I suspect there may a hidden one somehwere.

Anyway, one of my favourite all-time Treasure games which is saying a lot, love it.
MidnightScott said:
Because we got Disaster Day of Crisis & Another Code R. I would've totally bought this game right after Galaxy 2, as it won't take too long to beat it. I beat the first Galaxy after several days. Now I have to wait until the end of June to friggin play this? >_>;
You guys are getting MG2 a month before us though. :/

Nuclear Muffin said:
Correct, S&P was 30FPS. Very very few N64 games ran at 60FPS (The only two I can think of are F-zero X and Super Smash Bros - and that one had a lot of slowdown on the original N64. Thankfully, the VC version is a constant 60FPS at least :D)
The game is smooth as butter. There was only one point when there was a bit of slowdown, and that was during one of the insanely chaotic boss battles in the final stage. And actually I think I noticed a subtle nod to F-Zero in one of the levels too, although it could be coincidence.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Rustymonke said:
The final boss of this game is just brutal (and the boss of penultimate stage too). I must have spent nearly an hour trying to beat his penultimate form. Replaying the same 4 minutes over and over, and it was still tons of fun! I was a bit disappointed with the ending though (so short?), but I suspect there may a hidden one somehwere.

There is a hidden ending, but it's really nothing noteworthy.

To get it you have to
beat Isa & Kachi mode, which you get after beating Isa and Kachi's modes

eXistor said:
I've been playing a stage a day and I love the game... I love how sometimes you get stuck on a new boss, but after repeated tries and paying actual attention to what it's doing you can make it your bitch after a while. I know that's nothing new, but it's still expertly done. I've never felt frustrated by the game while I have felt that way with other, more casual shooters.
Yeah, exactly. Arguably half your game time when you first play the game (especially towards the end) is probably repeating boss battles and figuring out tactics and play styles to beat them. They're so inventive too.

Stage 6 Spoilers
The final boss of this stage is possibly my favourite, if just because how varied the three form are. First you have the constant bullet hell stage where an army is literally shooting at you constantly, and only your charge shot or bouncing back missiles can hurt the commander. Then you have the brilliant stage where he floats in the background as you try to simultaneously make your way through the minefield covering the screen, the grenades he throws at you and a bloody dragon-thing that circles you and generally roams about. Finally you have a motherfucking fist fight! Amazing.

Not to mention the final stage which is about 85% boss battles!

Regulus Tera said:
There is a hidden ending, but it's really nothing noteworthy.

To get it you have to
beat Isa & Kachi mode, which you get after beating Isa and Kachi's modes
Ah well. I'll watch it on youtube sometime. :/

My only complaint for the high-score chasers is that I can't understand how anyone could get through the game without dieing once. And as the game is pretty long for a shmup (nearly 4 hours without dieing I'd guess), that could be incredibly frustrating.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Rustymonke said:
My only complaint for the high-score chasers is that I can't understand how anyone could get through the game without dieing once.

I know for a fact that every attack in the game is dodgeable. Yes, even the last boss fight for Stage 6.

Seriously though, unlock
Isa & Kachi mode
. It's the best way to rack up points.

CaVaYeRo

Finished normal mode.

Incredible game, every stage has 2-3 completely original offers. Great difficulty curve, great ending part and awesome shooter package all alone.

I'm even ignoring MH, Red Steel and TvC, which I love, for playing more of this Treasure jewel.

Oh, and I also liked I spent more than 7 hours on my first playthrough :D

yes, late night beers playing kills lots of lifes

This, guys, is my new Lylat Wars / Starfox 64.

EDIT: Wow at those hi score videos! :lol I have a looooot to play, yay!

mango drank

j9lfsn.giff

Regulus Tera, who is this girl and what is this clip from? I sent you a PM earlier asking out of idle curiosity, but all of a sudden I'm obsessed. :lol

It's not Taylor Swift somehow?

CaVaYeRo said:
This, guys, is my new Lylat Wars / Starfox 64.

You know, I've been thinking about this. I actually don't think that the games are that similar, even with the jet-pack. And it's not only the separate moving and shooting, Sin & Punishment 2 (and the prequel) focus a lot on actually dodging attacks instead of just moving out of the way of bullets and stuff.

I'd really love Treasure to do a new StarFox, just to see what they'd do with the game mechanics and controls.

brohmbel said:
j9lfsn.giff

Regulus Tera, who is this girl and what is this clip from? I sent you a PM earlier asking out of idle curiosity, but all of a sudden I'm obsessed. :lol

Die. In a fire.

Glass Soldier said:
I'd really love Treasure to do a new StarFox, just to see what they'd do with the game mechanics and controls.
Yeah, that'd be amazing. I'd like to see them take it in a slightly different direction though, rather than just a more extreme Lylat Wars/Star Fox 64. Hmm, perhaps they could an almost top down shmup for wiiware?

Rustymonke said:
Die. In a fire.

Yeah, that'd be amazing. I'd like to see them take it in a slightly different direction though, rather than just a more extreme Lylat Wars/Star Fox 64. Hmm, perhaps they could an almost top down shmup for wiiware?

NO

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
S&P IS the closest thing we've all gotten to a new classic Star Fox though.
Most people I know that are fans of SF take to S&P really, really well.
I can only imagine that the vastly improved controls of the sequel will make it even more palatable to folks. That, and they won't have to import it.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Star Fox 64 may be chunkier, but Sin and Punishment 2 tastes better.

brohmbel said:
http://i44.tinypic.com/j9lfsn.giff

Sorry man, been quite distracted. At least it's been answered already.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
You tell him to die in a fire and then go on to write this...
Rustymonke said:
Hmm, perhaps they could an almost top down shmup for wiiware?
What's wrong with you?

I thought she was Christina Applegate. ;)

Rustymonke said:

You die in a fire. :mad:

IMO they should keep it as close to SF64 as possible, there's a reason why it's the best entry in the series. Give me branching paths, more on-rails gameplay than all-range mode, 4 playable characters with different ships and weapons and no foot-sections. If they absolutely have to get Fox out of his Arwing make it stealth missions in enemy bases or some shit.

Imagine Treasure, Platinum Games and KojiPro working collaboratively on a new Star Fox. *drools*

There is a problem a new Star Fox for the Wii, though, namely the control scheme. People will probably expect the shooting to be pointer-based but I think that completely defeats the purpose and feel completely awkward, as we've always steered the arwing in an indirect way.

JJConrad said:
You tell him to die in a fire and then go on to write this...What's wrong with you?
Haha, it popped into my head while I was typing. Not necessarily a Star Fox one then, jeez. Just thought it would be a more reasonable expectation than a 2/3 year wait for their next full blown game.

Glass Soldier said:
IMO they should keep it as close to SF64 as possible, there's a reason why it's the best entry in the series. Give me branching paths, more on-rails gameplay than all-range mode, 4 playable characters with different ships and weapons and no foot-sections. If they absolutely have to get Fox out of his Arwing make it stealth missions in enemy bases or some shit.
See this is what I don't want. We already have StarFox 64, we don't need to make it again (and not be as good as we remember). Namco already tried that, "make it bigger and badder", and failed horribly.

Maybe, Wii Pointer controls would make StarFox Wii new enough to justify it, but like someone said does that really fit StarFox or even any spaceship shmup?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Rustymonke said:
See this is what I don't want. We already have StarFox 64, we don't need to make it again (and not be as good as we remember). Namco already tried that, "make it bigger and badder", and failed horribly.

Maybe, Wii Pointer controls would make StarFox Wii new enough to justify it, but like someone said does that really fit StarFox or even any spaceship shmup?

Namco failed because they missed the point of what made StarFox 64 so good: branching paths and arcadey action, none of which the emphasis on story, on-foot missions and landmaster sections they did had.

The reason people want Treasure to do StarFox is not because they want it to play like Sin and Punishment, but because Treasure still gets it.

Rustymonke said:

Yeah but that was Namco. Treasure is Treasure. Treasure. No seriously, I'm not saying they should do Star Fox 64-2 (since they wouldn't anyway) but what else could they do with the franchise without straying too far away from it's roots? There's only so much you can do with rail-shooters (especially when they're space-ship based) and that's why I suggested different ships (they already nailed the designs in Command IMO) with unique abilities.

Rustymonke said:

Personally I wouldn't want it like that. I'd rather steer the Arwing with the analog stick on the Nunchuk.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Glass Soldier said:
Personally I wouldn't want it like that. I'd rather steer the Arwing with the analog stick on the Nunchuk.

Have you played Sky Crawlers? I think that's a perfectly acceptable way of controlling an airship with the Wiimote, even if it needs some polishing up.

samratty

Got my copy today, game is great. IQ is kinda poor sadly, seems like it's running in 50hz, even though it's not. Still small issue for such a stellar game.

Glass Soldier said:
Yeah but that was Namco. Treasure is Treasure. Treasure. No seriously, I'm not saying they should do Star Fox 64-2 (since they wouldn't anyway) but what else could they do with the franchise without straying too far away from it's roots? There's only so much you can do with rail-shooters (especially when they're space-ship based) and that's why I suggested different ships (they already nailed the designs in Command IMO) with unique abilities.

I don't see why they need to change much of anything from Star Fox 64 at all.

All I want is Star Fox 64-2 with 15 levels, two of which are tank and one submarine, analogue controls or at least the option for it, NO ON FOOT LEVELS, while bonus "nice to haves" would include multiple ships to choose from and the first two Star Fox games (SF & SF64) as unlockable bonuses. I guess it would be nice if character roles played a bigger part in gameplay so it would mean much more if you let members of your team get grounded.

But I'd be more than happy with a SF64 clone as a continuation to the story. No need for gimmicks here.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Rustymonke said:

Nuh-uh, Scamco failed horribly because they didn't ape SF64 enough.
80% of the game played without the Arwing. At least that 80% sucked balls.

McNum

This game plays for keeps. Yikes!

I started out an Isa/Normal game and even at stage 2 there's been several "screen full of death" flying at me, followed by "screens full of fire and death". Then a little bullet hell for flavor. I've got to see what Hard looks like some time. Not to mention the later stages.

This is such a Treasure game. Even if I didn't know it was them, it has their marks all over it. You get an overpowered ability, and then they assume you're going to use it and throws everything at you. At once. Repeatedly. I mean the tutorial just casually informs you that you're invincible while dodging, and then you get swarmed. Not that I'm complaining, mind you, I knew exactly what I was getting myself into here. I'm getting shot out of the sky repeatedly, but I'm loving it. Every single death was avoidable, if I knew how to dodge that particular pattern or attack. The game is mean, but fair. I'd even call the checkpoint distribution generous. Between each form of a multipart boss? Thanks, it's appreciated!

Also, I'm happy to see that this game makes as little sense as the first one. I was worried that the plot might have been, you know, coherent. We'll have none of that in this game. Just enough to give an excuse to move to the next setpiece, and then pure shooting and dodging for the next 30 minutes. I wouldn't have it any other way.

If there was to be any complaints, it's that the main character models look so-so in closeups, but really. There's 100 bullets on screen at a solid 60FPS, and I'm worried about their faces? Yeah, it's a nitpick. A cutscene model would have been nice, but that'd have taken modeling time away from those wonderfully creative bosses.

Can't wait to pay only $19.99 for this when it comes out in the US. (I ordered Galaxy 2 & Trauma Team on Amazon, $30 credit ftw!)

I've been looking forward to this. If Nintendo would get off their ass and release games around the same time as Japan gets them, then I wouldn't be so pissed off at Nintendo of America. (Also I better fucking see the Hotel Dusk sequel at E3 or Nintendo must be kicked in the bawlz)

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I doubt the character models are so fugly because of the visual contamination. I really believe Treasure sucks at character modelling. :lol

Regulus Tera said:
Have you played Sky Crawlers? I think that's a perfectly acceptable way of controlling an airship with the Wiimote, even if it needs some polishing up.

Not yet but I remember reading how it's done, I think. Don't you use the Wiiremote for accelerating and tilt the Nunchuk for steering? Is it any precise? That's actually my main concern as I'd rather have controls that are prcise and make sense in the context of the game than pointer/motion-based gimmickery just for the sake of it. I think it fits Treasure's style of games better.

Actually thinking about it, the S&P control scheme would lend itself quite well to the Landmaster levels.

Also: Karen Gillan is the hottest woman on TV right now.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
ShockingAlberto said:
I don't think normal hits a wall of near-insurmountable difficulty until
the Nightmare Forest boss

Do you mean the second form of Shami? She's really easy when you realise
almost all her attacks can be counteracted by the sword/judo maneuver

Imo, the difficulty spike is in Stage 5.
Gryphon Keeper is a bitch to figure out.

Regulus Tera said:
Do you mean the second form of Shami? She's really easy when you realise
almost all her attacks can be counteracted by the sword/judo maneuver
Holy shit, seriously?

I have to give that a try.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
It's been so long since I've played through this game that I'm getting fuzzy on some of the details. This is intentional though, as I want it to be fresh when I play through the US release.

I remember there being a lot of significant and appropriate difficulty spikes, but the only one that sticks out to me now is the final boss on hard mode. Good fucking luck with that, btw. :lol

mugwhump

Goddamn flying samurai bitch, making fun of my hoverboarding monkey girlfriend ;_;
She's like the shinobu of this game, just died like 5 times, but it was so fun! I also can't believe I'm only on stage 3. Wow.

Top Bottom