• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

29th July patch notes:
General
- I LIED LAST TIME, THIS build has the new online socket stuff. So your online should improve now. Heh.
- Enable triple buffering; vsync option coming soon. (FYI the console versions both have triple buffering, we just missed it on Windows.)

Gameplay
- Projectiles from attacks no longer add stun again if the attack already added stun (Peacock/Double j.HK = 30, Peacock s.HP = 30, etc).
- Minimum damage scaling on all Lv3s is now 45%, and Lv5s are now 55%. Fixed Double’s Lv3 to not deal 7k under this system...it now does about 5k by itself, but 3.7k fully scaled (by far the most of any fully-scaled Lv3).
- Training mode Slow Motion is now its own option rather than a Select Button choice.

Squigly
- MASSIVE amount of clean frames added. Please don't report any missing frames or errors yet (back throw, s.LK, Whip Stance movement, Tremolo all have missing frames).
- Final vulnerable and hitboxes for all stand and crouch attacks, j.LP LK MP MK, all jumps.
- "Paper" color has been re-used for flower stems, so all her unfinished frames are now green. This is not a bug. (^.^)

Other
- If you live in LA, you should consider visiting the Wildlife Learning Center:
We went today and I loved it! They have a bald eagle, Fennec foxes and the cutest owl you will ever meet.

30th July patch notes:
General
- Disable online sockets trying to use relay servers. This MAY mean that your connection goes from "worse" to "can't connect to people at all", but let's hope it instead goes from "worse" to "better"! :^)

Gameplay
- Nothing new today. Enjoy the feeling of knowing that everything is exactly as you left it.

Squigly
- More new colored frames!
- Corrected hitboxes on Arpeggio, tail is vulnerable during the attack.

Nothing major today because of preparation for something major soon...muahahahahahhaaaa....

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
The beta is running so much better on my PC now...finally can play it in full screen at 1080P with no problems!

Now to work on not getting destroyed online, lol.

NEO0MJ

Not sure on that, although that was on their to do list Allllooooooooong time ago before all the crazy law suit shit happened.

They said that they were gonna do it after the game has a good number of characters. Maybe after they finish Umbrella, Marie and B. Dahlia? That would mean though that it's at least two years away.

I want to know what all the keyboard buttons are.

Go into controller options on the main menu and have a look? I could make a video later if you want.

Anyway:

It has come to my attention that my Ms Fortune is horribly ass. It is a disease I can fight with help from other people with advice about how she ticks in Squigly Edition. Help?

So remember when I was talking about Divekick basically dumbing down Squigly as a character and giving no incentive to use any of her stance based mechanics? Yeah well that changed with the new patch, Divekick nerfs incoming and I am 100% all for them.

Here's the effect of the changes to MK Divekick :
  • Can't combo into Medium Strength Buttons
  • Won't combo into Lights if the Divekick connects too high on the opponent's hitbox (need to tag their feet)
  • Won't autocorrect if you normal jump over the opponent

So basically this addresses the Divekick loop by shortening it, it addresses the ability to use Divekick in any situation to open up someone into a full combo, and ultimately it makes the character more reliant on her Stance based nature.

Squigly's feeling quite fine at the moment.

Shoutouts to Krackatoa beating me 3-1 ;-;

So remember when I was talking about Divekick basically dumbing down Squigly as a character and giving no incentive to use any of her stance based mechanics? Yeah well that changed with the new patch, Divekick nerfs incoming and I am 100% all for them.

Well, that's kinda what betas are for, balancing and bug fixing (and testing if your servers can handle the load, which isn't necessary for this game, what with it being a combination of Steamworks matchmaking and P2P hosting).

I am getting more and more and MORE f*cking bored by the online netcode. For 10 matches I try to play, I can play two or three, and all the others are "getting connection info" for ages and then "error getting info".
I don't understand what's going on, the online play was perfect when the beta started and it's getting worse and worse as patchs are added. It's a chance I can play with almost everyone even if they have a 200 ping, either I would have stopped playing the game.

Edit : and once again, the only way to get rid of this is to hard reboot my internet box... -_-

I am getting more and more and MORE f*cking bored by the online netcode. For 10 matches I try to play, I can play two or three, and all the others are "getting connection info" for ages and then "error getting info".

I don't understand what's going on, the online play was perfect when the beta started and it's getting worse and worse as patchs are added. It's a chance I can play with almost everyone even if they have a 200 ping, either I would have stopped playing the game.

Online definitely feels like it's in a state of flux right now, Solar and I had great matches a couple weeks ago but today we were pretty plagued with rollbacks in random areas. Still playable overall but definitely more annoying.

Well, that's kinda what betas are for, balancing and bug fixing (and testing if your servers can handle the load, which isn't necessary for this game, what with it being a combination of Steamworks matchmaking and P2P hosting).

I guess it's weird playing a beta that's ACTUALLY beta vs. the "Betas" that you see on console which act more like marketing campaigns for the finished product.

Ravidrath

Edit : and once again, the only way to get rid of this is to hard reboot my internet box... -_-

Have you written that up and sent it to bugreport (at) labzerogames (dot) com?

Krackatoa

I'm wondering if it had anything to do with the forced triple buffering. Vsync and Vsync features don't play well with my system.

guitalex

Neo Member
I... don't like Squigly with this new divekick.

I liked her because there was always a mixup with varying LK and MK divekicks, and she had an actual way to convert midair hits. Note, that if someone blocked and landed they could punish the divekick regardless of my desire to pressure them (and many people have, with throws, DPs and lights).

Now, MK divekick is pretty much LK divekick in combos, and LK divekick's sole purpose in life is to convert from air throws. So, the mixup is gone, and with it not crossing up she loses a LOT of pressure potential. Hitting divekick from a jump has no reward (Opera can't hit from that distance except in the corner), and so it's become a game of NEVER using divekick. Without divekick her options are limited to trying to reset with very specific and obvious things.

IF (not saying that was the reason, but after reading the patch notes) the purpose was to make c.HP not link from low MK divekick, why not slow down c.HP a few frames (maybe to have the same startup as s.HK so it can still combo from lights), and remove just enough hitstun from MK divekick to not allow it to combo EVER into s.HK? The change combined should not allow c.HP to hit from a low MK divekick, and that way she can still combo mediums from MK divekick (no, she can't combo c.MK no matter how low the divekick), without alowing heavies to do so.

And before anyone says "but stance cancels!", remember that there is no point in stance cancels if you can't get a hit in. Divekick was her tool to get in, and now it does not work as it should.

edit: HA, nevermind me. Consider me drunk. I think I like it.

guitalex

Neo Member
What changed your mind?
The fact that it didn't really affect me much. I used it for hit confirms in the air that were too stupid and to add a little but of damage to the end of combos.

OH, and that MK divekick -> sing level 2 -> Daisy Pusher actually works. :p

Gliffyr

Not really sure how much good this'll do since most people in this thread seem to already be in the beta, but for those that haven't yet dipped in Gamefly has a coupon that can knock off $3 off the price ( GFDJUL20 ). It'll still have access to the beta when it opens tomorrow so it's as good a place to purchase it as any if Steam doesn't do a pre-order sale as well.

The Squigly divekick nerf is terrible. It breaks her bnb.

I was lauding that SG was getting a character that wasn't annoying to combo with. Now that's gone. -.-

alstein

Not really sure how much good this'll do since most people in this thread seem to already be in the beta, but for those that haven't yet dipped in Gamefly has a coupon that can knock off $3 off the price ( GFDJUL20 ). It'll still have access to the beta when it opens tomorrow so it's as good a place to purchase it as any if Steam doesn't do a pre-order sale as well.

I thought folks who buy-in tomorrow didn't get beta access- that was just for donators? (personally I say let them in as it increases playerbase- and means I might actually be able to win on occasion)

I still can't figure out how to air combo beyond basic chains.

Krackatoa

Bugs about the Steam listing:

Currently advertises the $25 2-Pack as the default pricetag. It should be advertising the single game for $15

Beta is not showing up in the library of at least one preorderer (Via the IRC), he restarted his client. The beta does not show up in his library or inventory. Is this due to roll-out later, or will he have to contact support?

Nyoro SF

When I begin searching online, some of the text on the bottom left starts overlapping each other. I can't read the jumbled text, looks like "Accept" is the only word I can make out.

Goon Boon

Banned
Were the tf2 hats ever gold starred? I want to dress my pyro as a magical schoolgirl with a parasite shaped like hair*.

*I actually main Peacock but her hat is sorta ehh

alstein

I forget, are lobbies scheduled to come out at launch for the PC version?

I think this needs to be answered.

IMO, lack of lobbies is something worth delaying the official release over. I think it's going to be necessary, esp if you have a batch of newer players- you don't want them matched up against the Salty Cupcakes though- it's just unfair.

El Sloth

Banned
I never realized Steam didn't have a "Fighting" genre section. Which makes sense given the the almost complete lack of fighting games on the platform until relatively recently.

Ravidrath

Yeah, lobbies will be in the release version.

They're currently in testing right now, and we hope to have them in the beta early next week.

I never realized Steam didn't have a "Fighting" genre section. Which makes sense given the the almost complete lack of fighting games on the platform until relatively recently.

We've been trying to get them to add one. :\

Argyle

If this goes away when you reboot the router, the probable cause of the problem is... your router.

I have two routers and it definitely does not play as well online with one of them (sadly, the problematic router is an expensive high end one - Asus RT-AC66. The working one is a cheap $40 dual band TP-Link flashed with OpenWRT...)

El Sloth

Banned
I pre-ordered the game but the beta isn't in my library yet. What's going on?
Yep, I can't download it.
From the Facebook page:

To anyone that pre-purchased the game on Steam today: we're aware that the beta isn't showing up in your library, and are currently working with Valve to resolve the issue.

Thanks for letting us know, and thanks for your patience while we resolve this!

Just gonna have to be a bit patient.
We've been trying to get them to add one. :\
I can understand why'd they be lazy about it seeing as how with Skullgirls there are only, like, 5 fighting games on all of Steam. 4 if you don't count Super Street Fighter IV and Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition as separate games. There is Injustice and the rumored Guilty Gear on the way though.

Good luck with getting them to make one!

Here's the effect of the changes to MK Divekick :
  • Can't combo into Medium Strength Buttons
  • Won't combo into Lights if the Divekick connects too high on the opponent's hitbox (need to tag their feet)
  • Won't autocorrect if you normal jump over the opponent

So basically this addresses the Divekick loop by shortening it, it addresses the ability to use Divekick in any situation to open up someone into a full combo, and ultimately it makes the character more reliant on her Stance based nature.

Squigly's feeling quite fine at the moment.

Shoutouts to Krackatoa beating me 3-1 ;-;
Krackatoa's PW is explosive. It really throws me off at first so it takes a while to get used to. It's nice having strong competition besides you around with Guitalex to play against too. The lag messed with our matches last night, but it was nice playing against a good Fortune player again. I haven't had that experience since fighting Q months ago.
Online definitely feels like it's in a state of flux right now, Solar and I had great matches a couple weeks ago but today we were pretty plagued with rollbacks in random areas. Still playable overall but definitely more annoying.
Tell me about it.
I... don't like Squigly with this new divekick.

I liked her because there was always a mixup with varying LK and MK divekicks, and she had an actual way to convert midair hits. Note, that if someone blocked and landed they could punish the divekick regardless of my desire to pressure them (and many people have, with throws, DPs and lights).

Now, MK divekick is pretty much LK divekick in combos, and LK divekick's sole purpose in life is to convert from air throws. So, the mixup is gone, and with it not crossing up she loses a LOT of pressure potential. Hitting divekick from a jump has no reward (Opera can't hit from that distance except in the corner), and so it's become a game of NEVER using divekick. Without divekick her options are limited to trying to reset with very specific and obvious things.

IF (not saying that was the reason, but after reading the patch notes) the purpose was to make c.HP not link from low MK divekick, why not slow down c.HP a few frames (maybe to have the same startup as s.HK so it can still combo from lights), and remove just enough hitstun from MK divekick to not allow it to combo EVER into s.HK? The change combined should not allow c.HP to hit from a low MK divekick, and that way she can still combo mediums from MK divekick (no, she can't combo c.MK no matter how low the divekick), without alowing heavies to do so.

And before anyone says "but stance cancels!", remember that there is no point in stance cancels if you can't get a hit in. Divekick was her tool to get in, and now it does not work as it should.

edit: HA, nevermind me. Consider me drunk. I think I like it.
That was a fast turn around.
Someone should probably throw up a thread since the Steam page is up. It's $14.99 for the game, $24.99 for a 2-pack, and $44.99 for a 4-pack. You get instant access to the beta by picking it up now.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/245170/
Looks like the gears are finally turning. The pictures and video are nice. Can't say I'm a huge fan of the steam image for the game. Doesn't seem very flashy.
I think they are coming before launch, but I could be wrong.
I think this needs to be answered.

IMO, lack of lobbies is something worth delaying the official release over. I think it's going to be necessary, esp if you have a batch of newer players- you don't want them matched up against the Salty Cupcakes though- it's just unfair.
Playing online is a bit tricky right now. I've been using YoloBella to give newbies a chance, but I run the risk of meeting a beast who whoops me and disappears into the ether. It has happened quite a few times and now I'm improving with Cerebella so newbies are screwed lol.
Yeah, this is dumb. AE 2012, SFxT, MK9 and now Skullgirls are all on steam. Soon KOF and Injustice may join them. It is time for the fighting genre to be added seperately.

Edit: lol @ Guilty Gear. I'm not holding my breath on that one even if common sense grabs ASW by the throat.

Ohnonono

Ordered! Hopefully the steam beta thing gets fixed soon so I can start getting destroyed! Using my PS3 controller for now, but if I get into it enough this is a good reason to pick up a fightstick!

Top Bottom