• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I am tempted to double dip for the PSN version due to the sale. Are the DLC characters on the PS3 version going to be free for the first 3 months, like on PC?

Edit: just found the answer on the indigogo page for the Skullgirls DLC. I'm wondering if PS3 or PC will end up having the bigger community.

alstein

The PC community now is bigger and more active than the console community has ever been in this game's entire life cycle.

Also, not everyone is a killer.

Console Skullgirls, I was really getting discouraged because the average player was someone who was a monster at the game. Some folks on PC are learning the game.

I hope this continues, I'm getting to the point where I don't want to have my console hooked up to the internet anymore because I have no motivation to play anything on the console anymore.

Nyoro SF

Also, not everyone is a killer.

Console Skullgirls, I was really getting discouraged because the average player was someone who was a monster at the game. Some folks on PC are learning the game.

I hope this continues, I'm getting to the point where I don't want to have my console hooked up to the internet anymore because I have no motivation to play anything on the console anymore.

This is correct. I actually am somewhat annoyed at having to sift through so many Beginner lobbies, heh. I usually have to end up creating an Intermediate lobby in the end.

The PC community now is bigger and more active than the console community has ever been in this game's entire life cycle.
Cut and dry

Some of these people are really bad, though. I'm actually perfected one dude with Squigly several times and I can't use her competently if my life depended on it. This dude had a 100% failure rate against naked daisy pushers through 8 1v1 matches (16 rounds). It's like an eagle getting caught in a bear trap repeatedly. I don't even understand how some of these people work.

The good news is that I have an extremely low number of ragequits. These guys don't seem as bitchy as console players, but even SG console didn't have THAT many ragequitters either...
This is correct. I actually am somewhat annoyed at having to sift through so many Beginner lobbies, heh. I usually have to end up creating an Intermediate lobby in the end.
Same here

I'm gonna have to try someone completely new at this rate so I can play in the numerous beginner lobbies.

alstein

Cut and dry

Some of these people are really bad, though. I'm actually perfected one dude with Squigly several times and I can't use her competently if my life depended on it. This dude had a 100% failure rate against naked daisy pushers through 8 1v1 matches (16 rounds). It's like an eagle getting caught in a bear trap repeatedly. I don't even understand how some of these people work.

The good news is that I have an extremely low number of ragequits. These guys don't seem as bitchy as console players, but even SG console didn't have THAT many ragequitters either...

Same here

I'm gonna have to try someone completely new at this rate so I can play in the numerous beginner lobbies.

Smaller communities like SG that have to claw their way to get any attention- I've found they tend to have better communities, especially if they draw a large segment of folks who truly love the game as their main game.

In many ways, the SG community reminds me of the VF comm. It's a big reason why I kept giving this game changes, I've always liked the SG comm, now I'm starting to like the game as well (except for a few things which aren't gamebreakers)

As for the influx of bad players- I usually just go to quick matches- The terrible players have been beaten out of there somewhat, so I figure in 5 matches , I'll get 1-2 guys who destroy me, and 1-2 guys I can have a close match with. That said, Skullgirls by its design is anti-comeback, so it's possible to just completely blowup a slightly better player once in a while and once in a while a meh player you usually dominate will make you look stupid.

Razzle Dazzle

Neo Member
Oh man I love Skullgirls! One of my favorite games.

Lately I've been trying to find the new best combos for Parasoul for v1.02, and because other sites are currently down (*cough* Skullheart *cough*) I have no clue where to find em.

Anyone have a link to the confirmed best combos as of v1.02? I've found a few good ones on youtube but I really am a sucker for the absolute best :p

alstein

I am tempted to double dip for the PSN version due to the sale. Are the DLC characters on the PS3 version going to be free for the first 3 months, like on PC?

Edit: just found the answer on the indigogo page for the Skullgirls DLC. I'm wondering if PS3 or PC will end up having the bigger community.

I suspect it will be PC due to the betas. Play Big Band early. Also, PSN version will never be ahead of console.

If Lab Zero/Marvelous were smart- they'd sell early access to the beta chars for non-IGG folks.

I'll go so far as to say this, until yesterday, I hadn't even played my PS3 in a week because of Skullgirls, and I got bored playing my PS3 yesterday. I really should because I entered a major in a few weeks, but I've had no desire to grind any other game, even VF.

(It's criminal TFC isn't going to have Skullgirls, I hope that gets rectified)

RPS Skullgirls Impressions:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/27/impressions-skullgirls

Touching on the "sexism"-component of the game:

There was an opportunity here. An opportunity for an entire cast of characters like Peacock, the sanely proportioned and thoroughly ridiculous robot-girl. An opportunity for fighting poses that are good for something other than predominantly showing bouncing breasts. An opportunity for a collection of stories that end with powerful women actually in control of their destiny, rather than a slave to a nameless god or mafia boss. An opportunity not to have fucking measurement statistics on the official character pages.

[/quote]I didn’t want the art of Skullgirls to overshadow my writing on it, but it overshadows the game. It’s omnipresent, requiring actual effort to get a screenshot not containing someone’s heaving bosom. I would love to see these characters redesigned, super-heroine style, to be sexy but inoffensive. No matter what I may think of the final product, there is very obviously an incredibly talented art team here. From backgrounds to special effects, it’s lovingly rendered, I just wish it had been done with a little more respect.[/quote]

alstein

That has been an argument that has been debated thousands of times about Skullgirls by now.

There are some games it would be a valid criticism for in the FG genre (AH3). I just don't see the designs as exploitative here- cheesecakey/fanservicey is not the same thing as exploitative.

He is fundamentally incorrect and his opinion is hypocritical. He is imposing what he thinks is "too far" onto depictions of women in video games. Boobs and knickers are the problem for him - that's an unfair and patriarchal way of viewing the depiction of women.

Everyone makes this giant leap to assuming sexism when they see anything like SG. It's utterly daft and shows people don't understand the issues involved.

CrossRhythm

Neo Member
In all fairness, I do see how SG art is exploitative and it's reinforced every time one of my female friends watches me play. Their first comment is almost always about Valentine's 100% gratuitously boobalicious win pose. I love the game but come one, lets at least acknowledge that the art style is provocative.

In all fairness, I do see how SG art is exploitative and it's reinforced every time one of my female friends watches me play. Their first comment is almost always about Valentine's 100% gratuitously boobalicious win pose. I love the game but come one, lets at least acknowledge that the art style is provocative.
Provocative has nothing to do with exploitation or sexism, though. The truly dangerous people are those looking to put artistic expression under a normative heel.

The rest of the review is okay, but I don't think he knows that no tutorial will ever come close to preparing him for online. There is a certain degree of work that has to be done on everyone's part because the game can only hold our hands so much.
There was an opportunity here. An opportunity for an entire cast of characters like Peacock, the sanely proportioned and thoroughly ridiculous robot-girl. An opportunity for fighting poses that are good for something other than predominantly showing bouncing breasts. An opportunity for a collection of stories that end with powerful women actually in control of their destiny, rather than a slave to a nameless god or mafia boss. An opportunity not to have fucking measurement statistics on the official character pages.
This guy sounds boring as hell in this particular quote. What a forced way to handle stories and make Peacock just another clone in the original 8. Not everyone has to be a shining beacon of feminine power and reservedness. The journalists don't get that trying to manufacture an ideal of how women should be is the real problem.

Clearly this guy didn't play any of the story mode here.
It is definitely provocative and it has it's sprinkles of cheescake to boot.

CrossRhythm

Neo Member
Provocative has nothing to do with exploitation or sexism, though. The truly dangerous people are those looking to put artistic expression under a normative heel.
We can play semantic games about what words mean what. That won't get us any closer to the truth. As for "artistic expression", we should be careful about over using that word. Truth be told, the norm in fighting games IS girls with huge boobs, exploitative poses, etc (see: street fighter, mortal kmobat, DOA, Soul Calibur).

Again, I'm a huge fan of this game and I'm not trying to troll. However, I do think we (as a small community looking to grow) should honestly examine those factors that might discourage participation from new players. There are merits on both sides of the argument but that doesn't mean the game's fans have the right to immediately dismiss criticism.

We can play semantic games about what words mean what. That won't get us any closer to the truth. As for "artistic expression", we should be careful about over using that word. Truth be told, the norm in fighting games IS girls with huge boobs, exploitative poses, etc (see: street fighter, mortal kmobat, DOA, Soul Calibur).

Again, I'm a huge fan of this game and I'm not trying to troll. However, I do think we (as a small community looking to grow) should honestly examine those factors that might discourage participation from new players. There are merits on both sides of the argument but that doesn't mean the game's fans have the right to immediately dismiss criticism.
Because of artistic expression we also get a tortured soul like Painwheel, a shapeshifting horror like Double and Peacock who is a walking cyborg of a cartoon variety that has been extinct for decades now.

Bucking the norm is what kept this game alive in the hearts and minds of so many people so far. For now it doesn't seem like a problem to me if they can continue to give each and every one of these women personality and character. Feel free to disagree, though. This is a forum for discussion.

Nyoro SF

You just said a whole lot of nothing.

The only thing I got from this empty set of paragraphs is that we should "examine factors" and "get closer to the truth". Thanks Phoenix Wright, here's my OBJECTION; the game has sexy characters (excluding Double, Peacock, Squigly, Ms. Fortune, Painwheel.... OVER HALF THE CAST), which isn't a sexist insert.

Deal done, send me home with a verdict of Not Guilty, thanks.

I'm so tired from these types of discussions, I feel like they've consistently popped since this game's inception. Pass.

Here's some AhadxAttackOnTitan instead.
tumblr_ms6o4fjpnD1rip8ybo1_1280.jpg
... and the highlights of today's patchnotes
http://steamcommunity.com/games/245170/announcements/detail/2074193519859768344
MikeZ said:
General
Aimed, armed, and bought dinner for the VAC banhammer. (Do you REALLY want to try playing as her now?)

Still slogging through implementing spectator mode and online training mode. Not QUITE ready for prime time, but will be in the beta soonish.

HNGGGGHHH

While you guys are whining about metrics and shit, here's an assload of damage to make you feel better.

http://youtu.be/y16EEblKBsw

Stahp. ;-;

Consistently Painwheel has been the character to break the combo limitations in the game the most. I'm glad we're still in a state where the game is fluid and this can be addressed now rather than later.

Can someone tell me what an exploitative pose is?

I think they're referring to Valentine's thermometer win pose. That's all I can think of

I like how the article ignores almost half the cast when saying how sexy the game is. Fortune, Painwheel, Squigly, Double, nothing to report there. With Cerebella she's wearing a pretty normal cut of top, Parasoul's dress isn't all that strange either, girls don't tend to do high kicks in them but whatever. Was the alternative to have them all wear battle armour? But oh no, single out the sexy nurse.

Filia is thick as fuck though.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
He seemed to like the tutorial but wanted it to teach more combos because it don't prepare you to online, I disagree, imo one of the nice things in fighting games is discovering your own combos ir trying to break down an otger player combo after you being bodied online, it gives a rewarding sensation.

Not to mention that combos can quickly become obsolete, or variations may be preferable for your style of play because of positioning, corner carry, reset potention, etc.

Oh man I love Skullgirls! One of my favorite games.

Lately I've been trying to find the new best combos for Parasoul for v1.02, and because other sites are currently down (*cough* Skullheart *cough*) I have no clue where to find em.

Anyone have a link to the confirmed best combos as of v1.02? I've found a few good ones on youtube but I really am a sucker for the absolute best :p
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=76661303&postcount=1089

Use this and you'll be fine.
I'm so tired from these types of discussions, I feel like they've consistently popped since this game's inception. Pass.
Same

I've said my piece so I'm done.
He seemed to like the tutorial but wanted it to teach more combos because it don't prepare you to online, I disagree, imo one of the nice things in fighting games is discovering your own combos ir trying to break down an otger player combo after you being bodied online, it gives a rewarding sensation.
No one cares about discovery if they can get basic BnB. I want a basic BnB that I can play back and watch like in BB. I don't want to struggle like hell with Painwheel and Valentine. Give me a life jacket and then I'll stick my foot in the water.
Not to mention that combos can quickly become obsolete, or variations may be preferable for your style of play because of positioning, corner carry, reset potention, etc.
This is why combo trials like those in BB give you several combos. You only need two of each type (corner carry, midstage and day 1) at best.

I think they're referring to Valentine's thermometer win pose. That's all I can think of

I like how the article ignores almost half the cast when saying how sexy the game is. Fortune, Painwheel, Squigly, Double, nothing to report there. With Cerebella she's wearing a pretty normal cut of top, Parasoul's dress isn't all that strange either, girls don't tend to do high kicks in them but whatever. Was the alternative to have them all wear battle armour? But oh no, single out the sexy nurse.

Filia is thick as fuck though.

What are you talking about? They're all fetish fuel.

Filia's thick as fuck, like you said, and that's a fetish. Fat chicks are unrealistic.

Fortune's a cat girl, her top shows underboob and she has no pants in her basic palette, and no woman in existence wears stuff like that outside of football stadiums - clear fetish. The whole "horrifically dismembered" thing, which most uneducated plebes call the focal point of her design, is just a red herring.

Painwheel? Well, clearly walking around in a filthy hospital gown with a horrific mask grafted onto your face is insanely sexualized - not to mention all those fantastic stretches she makes as she forces those huge spikes embedded in her flesh to burst through her body as she forces her body to contort in unnatural ways, ligaments and cartilage audibly tearing as she overrides the searing pain with cries of anger that stem from a unfathomable sense of pain and betrayal. So fucking hot
yKof0IZ.png

Double? Not only is she a nun, but she's a shapeshifter! She can be anything she wants! Granted, she's an unholy abomination made of various bits and pieces of all manner of dead beings, and based on her human guise she probably still has a good deal of rot and bloat that she just smooths over with a thin film of slimy flesh - but that only makes her more lewd.

Squiggly? Well, necrophilia is a thing - clear fetish.

It only makes sense that Peacock would be rightly recognized as the only decent design in the whole lot, because all the other designs are just expressions of internalized misogyny from some poor woman that opted to provide a course in Raunch Culture 101 instead of using this as an opportunity to teach others about the meaning of true empowerment. And it only makes sense to have that close out the last third of the impression, and to dominate the entire piece (because it's the only part of the impression that has any conviction behind it) - shit, it's not like it's worth going into how the game's changed between now and its initial release when a hotlink can handle that. What else is there to talk about?

I mean, what else could be the reason that they made the exact same judgements, with the exact same mental gaffes as other journalists, a year after the fact? What, that Ben Barrett and John Walker are established hacks that just honed in on the surface level flags that they saw from other reviews, even though there's a ton of other, novel criticisms that could be made for and (overwhelmingly) against the character designs with even a modicum of effort?
That they just regurgitated popular criticisms without looking at a year's worth of fallout, response essays and similar and dissimilar criticism, while simultaneously implying that they've got an objectively correct summation of the character design?
That they get more out of quoting feminist concepts than actually understanding them?
That they use their enabling readerbase, made up of people who'd rather cut-and-paste from a couple of trite logical fallacy checklists or quote Shortpacked! or Questionable Content for the umpteenth time than actually generate an original thought, to stroke their own egos?
Or that even as we speak, they're tingling with anticipation at the 5 kneejerk, reactionary quotes they're sure to get from ignorant posters, so that they can quote them as evidence for a self-congratulatory editorial that they can use to throw any legitimate criticism under the bus, or prop up as a buffer for any future scrutiny?

That's silly.

joe2187

Banned
Damn....That is the most smug and sarcastic response I've ever read.

Congrats.

Also fillia aint fat....she's just got a good set of thighs, she's like Chun-Li...if she had her ribcage caved in and the rest of her innards were moved into her chest.

TheOGB

Banned
Shoutouts to Sebastian Joe's

Damn....That is the most smug and sarcastic response I've ever read.

Congrats.

Also fillia aint fat....she's just got a good set of thighs, she's like Chun-Li...if she had her ribcage caved in and the rest of her innards were moved into her chest.
Uggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh thisssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

the amount of people I see that think 'thick = fat' disgust me

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I have been following SkullGirls scene ever since new DLC characters kickstarter, so I happened to recalled that Squigly would be free character dlc. However did anyone know about other 4 characters? Free or what?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
why is there still no skill based matchmaking for ranked games on pc? this sucks :(

It might be my imagination, but I think I'm being matched up with more experienced people in general now that my rank is higher on the leaderboards.

Is there a hidden matchmaking system in place?

I have been following SkullGirls scene ever since new DLC characters kickstarter, so I happened to recalled that Squigly would be free character dlc. However did anyone know about other 4 characters? Free or what?

Afaik they are supposed to be free for the first three months from their releases.

Nyoro SF

Ranked IS ELO-based. However, it prioritizes matching you quicker over that. As more people are playing, you'll get better results.

I can confirm this.

Went on a 9-game streak on Ranked, and then... monsters, emerging from the unholy deep, spawned for the sole purpose of crushing me.

alstein

I can confirm this.

Went on a 9-game streak on Ranked, and then... monsters, emerging from the unholy deep, spawned for the sole purpose of crushing me.

I run into the same thing- I do good for a bit, then see guys who got top 8 at Evo, 240p+ tags, and other unholy terrors for which I lack sufficient holy grenades of keepout and runaway to slay.

Top Bottom