• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

The first thing I thought of when I saw Big Band was "instant overheads".

I'm sorry. ;_;
Parasoul is my first ever charge character. Cerebella is my first ever grappler. I've been playing fighting games since the dreamcast days and the one thing I've learned from my time with Lab Zero and Skullgirls is that conventional fears rarely become a problem in this game.

Big Band will make zoners and overhead RTSD strategy his bitch.

Oh hey here's a thread I haven't been to in a while. I gotta make it a point to jump back in this game. Any ETA on the PS3 version of the patch?

Razzle Dazzle

Neo Member
Big Band is just to sick.

Lab zero has been streaming animation for him on their twitch channel. They did it again today and displayed 2 new moves. One of them puts you in dropped state so you can ground tech. Which is really interesting.

Man I'm so pumped for Big Band!!!

Big Band better have some amazing specials to make up for what we've seen to far.
Not a fan of his normals thus far?

Not a fan of his normals thus far?
They look really small for his size. Even if they were armored, I don't think they would be good. That's not to say that Big Band won't be good, but I haven't seen anything that's good on him yet. I'm sure he'll have an interesting mechanic or something. He has to have something pretty amazing, because he's supposed to be a close-range fighter and grappler, but he's huge, slow, and his normals aren't great (from what we've seen). Compare him to Cerebella, who is slightly larger than most characters, is pretty fast, and has great normals along with her command grabs. If you recognize that Big Band is at the very least a much slower and bigger grappler than her, he'll need some good stuff to make him worth picking over her. I'm sure Lab Zero will do a good job with him, I'm just waiting to see something that makes him worthwhile (besides the cool design).

They look really small for his size. Even if they were armored, I don't think they would be good. That's not to say that Big Band won't be good, but I haven't seen anything that's good on him yet. I'm sure he'll have an interesting mechanic or something. He has to have something pretty amazing, because he's supposed to be a close-range fighter and grappler, but he's huge, slow, and his normals aren't great (from what we've seen). Compare him to Cerebella, who is slightly larger than most characters, is pretty fast, and has great normals along with her command grabs. If you recognize that Big Band is at the very least a much slower and bigger grappler than her, he'll need some good stuff to make him worth picking over her. I'm sure Lab Zero will do a good job with him, I'm just waiting to see something that makes him worthwhile (besides the cool design).

His gameplay his inspired by Q from 3.3 so it's not a true grapler. Q is basically a Boxer with bad/strange normals and a special throw. He has charge moves looking like dash straight that can hit low, high or medium. He has a multi hit special move that can be use in combo, a special throw that creates a juggle.

What permits Q to be a decent character is his taunt that reinforce his defense, the fact he does a lot of damage when he hits, his overhead that can be cancel intro super and the parry system of 3.3.

Since Mike said BigBand will be "Q that does not suck" and that he made parry system tests, you can be sure you'll have a good character, even if he is very very strange when first played.

Here you go for Q action : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVIsP09vE4I

I'm getting this issue where occasionally when I go into training mode, the training dummy mirrors all of my inputs. Restarting seems to solve it so it isn't that big a deal.

Anyone else get this?

His gameplay his inspired by Q from 3.3 so it's not a true grapler. Q is basically a Boxer with bad/strange normals and a special throw. He has charge moves looking like dash straight that can hit low, high or medium. He has a multi hit special move that can be use in combo, a special throw that creates a juggle.

What permits Q to be a decent character is his taunt that reinforce his defense, the fact he does a lot of damage when he hits, his overhead that can be cancel intro super and the parry system of 3.3.

Since Mike said BigBand will be "Q that does not suck" and that he made parry system tests, you can be sure you'll have a good character, even if he is very very strange when first played.

Here you go for Q action : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVIsP09vE4I
I'm aware of all this. Like I said, I'm not saying Big Band will be bad, I'm just saying those normals are really disappointing for his size and speed. If he has a move that reaches far, charges forward, and is safe on block, along with a parry, then I'm sure he'll be fine. I was just saying that I want to see that stuff. If he has that stuff, the charge forward assist is good, and he can burn meter well, I'll probably swap Double out for him since she's not really my type.

NEO0MJ

Huh, so they made a parry system for big band?

I'm liking what I'm hearing.

Something I'm worried about though is how well a person can use the parry in this game, considering how fast it is and that just about every move is cancelable or hits multiple times.

Something I'm worried about though is how well a person can use the parry in this game, considering how fast it is and that just about every move is cancelable or hits multiple times.
Yeah. I think to really be worthwhile, the parry has to offer something besides faster recovery.

alstein

I'd rather see the parry underpowered/gimmicky instead of overpowered. That said, what you mentioned plus being a charge mover might limit the usefulness of parry. (hopefully his charge moves are b/f not d/u)

TheOGB

Banned
I'm getting this issue where occasionally when I go into training mode, the training dummy mirrors all of my inputs. Restarting seems to solve it so it isn't that big a deal.

Anyone else get this?
Yeah. I've tried to get it to happen on purpose but never could. I don't know what causes it.

Beats

GGs. I really hope the team adds an option to see your frame rate. I want to know how much I'm missing with all these teleporting Filias. :p

Yeah, good games. It was mostly smooth for me, but there were some matches where it was skipping the entire time. The netplay issues on PC are definitely starting to bug me a bit. :\

Something that came from the IRC:

BS9AIbECMAAWQxu_zps30ce62dd.jpg

Kioshen

Oh wow thanks for that video ! I have a couple of questions about the bnb you posted

s.LK, c.MK, c.HP
j.MP, j.HP, j.HK
s.MP, s.HP, s.HP, Tear Shot L
s.LP, s.MP, b.HK, Solder L

j.LP, j.MK, j.HP
s.LK, s.MK, s.HP, s.HP, Tear Shot M, super

I got the bolded part semi consistent but it's after the soldier cancel that I'm not sure. If Parasoul lands without doing j.HP, is it because I was too late or too far ? Actually I've thought of something else, choice of super.

• Use sniper for better oki (also wondering what kind of oki you can get from it)
  • Use motorcycle for better corner carry
  • Use bullets hell for maxium damage

Do I get this right ?

Oh and might as well ask this one too, which Cerebella assist do you use ? HP LnL or Battle Horns ? I'm trying to switch to Peacock, Parasoul and Cerebella and even if I know it would be better to use Double I just can't bring myself to use that character.

Oooh, awesome.

Though I wish it went into detail on her general gameplan. Currently I just zone and then try to get in with a combo. Which works alright.
Sounds like you have a good idea of what you want to do. I would be careful while zoning if I were you. It's a dangerous game against characters like Double who can bionic car you from anywhere on the stage when they please. The best thing you can do as a Parasoul player is snap her in if the assist is bothering you. You'll end up playing Street Fighter with 5 bar anchor Double because none of your supers work safely against her unless your timing is impeccable.
Oh wow thanks for that video ! I have a couple of questions about the bnb you posted

I got the bolded part semi consistent but it's after the soldier cancel that I'm not sure. If Parasoul lands without doing j.HP, is it because I was too late or too far ?
You were too late. Try doing it in the corner just to increase your confidence. It is doable against anyone in the corner. You can also do something like j.MK, spiral flare, s.LK, s.MK, st.HPx2, tear shot M/L, super instead of the moves in bold. This can be cool because the spiral flare portion of the combo can reverse your combo direction. Let's say you are unfortunately moving a near dead opponent out of the corner, but you want to keep them pressured... you can change the BnB from below by doing what I posted instead. This is also a full combo, not a crossup reset. It looks cool, but it doesn't work on every character. I'll have to test it to find out which ones later. I'm pretty sure Painwheel, Peacock and Double are immune to this crossup combo.

s.LK, c.MK, c.HP
j.MP, j.HP, j.HK
j.LP, j.MK, j.HP

crossup version:
s.LK, c.MK, c.HP
j.MP, j.HP, j.HK
j.MK, spiral flare
s.LK, s.MK, st.HPx2, tear shot M/L, super

Make sure that you are cancelling a dash into jump after soldier L btw. You need momentum for both versions of the combo to connect well unless you are in or near the corner.

Actually I've thought of something else, choice of super.
  • Use sniper for better oki (also wondering what kind of oki you can get from it)
  • Use motorcycle for better corner carry
  • Use bullets hell for maxium damage

Do I get this right ?
Parasoul's Oki is kinda of weak even without an assist. This means you gotta play a good fundamental mixup game instead of relying on crazy ass mixups. I think motorcycle super isn't very good TBH and I don't recommend Inferno Brigade unless you want a happy birthday (Inferno is a hardcore assist punisher) or you REALLY want the kill. Her level 3 makes her a good DHC character.
Oh and might as well ask this one too, which Cerebella assist do you use ? HP LnL or Battle Horns ? I'm trying to switch to Peacock, Parasoul and Cerebella and even if I know it would be better to use Double I just can't bring myself to use that character.
HP LnL and Devil Horns each serve a unique function, but I'll say this as simply as possible. The stronger your opponents become, the more you'll find yourself using devil horns. HP LnL is great, but it just doesn't cut it against Painwheel, Filia, Peacock or Valentine. You really need the overhead protection. HP LnL is great on a trio team if you've got another AA assist locked and loaded, though (pun intended). I'm fucked if I have to play any of those characters without Devil Horns.

alstein

I decided to add a 3rd character instead of switching assist.

I like having the armor on LnL against certain chars (though it's useless vs Painwheel/double due to their jump fierce which drives me nuts), and I have some mixups I can use that LnL that I can throw out there with Peacock (I can use it with my other assist as well)- I need to figure out how to convert it.

I need to figure out that lock n load loop MikeZ was doing at Salty Cupcakes- I'd like to do a loop instead of being on the receiving end for once (none of my chars are loop heavy- one reason I hate the loops in SG so much even if they are limited to 3 reps- I wish it was 2)

Kioshen

You were too late. Try doing it in the corner just to increase your confidence. It is doable against anyone in the corner. You can also do something like j.MK, spiral flare, s.LK, s.MK, st.HPx2, tear shot M/L, super instead of the moves in bold. This can be cool because the spiral flare portion of the combo can reverse your combo direction. Let's say you are unfortunately moving a near dead opponent out of the corner, but you want to keep them pressured... you can change the BnB from below by doing what I posted instead. This is also a full combo, not a crossup reset. It looks cool, but it doesn't work on every character. I'll have to test it to find out which ones later. I'm pretty sure Painwheel, Peacock and Double are immune to this crossup combo.

That's always useful thanks ! I was noticing that my success rate was higher when I landed the dummy in the corner.

s.LK, c.MK, c.HP
j.MP, j.HP, j.HK
j.LP, j.MK, j.HP

crossup version:
s.LK, c.MK, c.HP
j.MP, j.HP, j.HK
j.MK, spiral flare
s.LK, s.MK, st.HPx2, tear shot M/L, super

Added to my notes :)

Make sure that you are cancelling a dash into jump after soldier L btw. You need momentum for both versions of the combo to connect well unless you are in or near the corner.

That's the missing part of the puzzle ! I wasn't dashing in after L soldier.

Parasoul's Oki is kinda of weak even without an assist. This means you gotta play a good fundamental mixup game instead of relying on crazy ass mixups. I think motorcycle super isn't very good TBH and I don't recommend Inferno Brigade unless you want a happy birthday (Inferno is a hardcore assist punisher) or you REALLY want the kill. Her level 3 makes her a good DHC character.

With her slow jump arc and dash I figured as much but that's fine to me. Noted for motorcycle and yeah I've put her second to Peacock for that reason.

HP LnL and Devil Horns each serve a unique function, but I'll say this as simply as possible. The stronger your opponents become, the more you'll find yourself using devil horns. HP LnL is great, but it just doesn't cut it against Painwheel, Filia, Peacock or Valentine. You really need the overhead protection. HP LnL is great on a trio team if you've got another AA assist locked and loaded, though (pun intended). I'm fucked if I have to play any of those characters without Devil Horns.

I think I had the names wrong. I was talking about LnL and Battle Butt ( (B), F + HP & HK). You know the one where she runs and morphs her head as a ram. I won't fall back to Devil Horns (DP + MP) when I have Napalm Pillar. Still it's good to know.

I'm playing as Peacock, and I'm getting decimated when I go into beginner lobbies. Are there any good Peacock guides that you guys know of?
Here is my Peacock advice:
Do not use her qcf.hp unless you know it will hit. That move ends lives.
Teleport frequently when your opponent jumps toward you.
Use qcf.lk to cover teleportation.
If your opponent blocks a projectile up close, do not be scared to run in and start a blockstring. You are not pure keepaway.
Put Double with dp.mk as an assist on your team.

Top Bottom