• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

anyone wanna play on ps3?

Sureee, give me 5 minutes to setup my PS3

Edit : Oh ... apparently I didn't update my PS3 for Fukua ... this may take like 20 minutes.

Edit Edit : PSN Download servers pls, stop stalling on me. ;-;

Zzz : its gone up like 5% in the last 20 minutes. Sorry man. :(

Beats

Sureee, give me 5 minutes to setup my PS3

Edit : Oh ... apparently I didn't update my PS3 for Fukua ... this may take like 20 minutes.

Edit Edit : PSN Download servers pls, stop stalling on me. ;-;

Zzz : its gone up like 5% in the last 20 minutes. Sorry man. :(

Oh, it's alright. > . <

Maybe some other time.

As in submitted for testing, or ready for that.

She's not going to be ready in time for her to be in the tournament.

Are you considering having stations with Eliza like you did last year with Squiggly though?

anyone wanna play on ps3?

Are you still available in 10-15 minutes? I have an itch for proper battles after steamrolling a friend with Fukua to the point of making him complain about cheapness :v

GGs yesterday Beats -

Against Big Band there's really no incentive to blocking low after his light normals connect. Literally the only low normals he can start a combo off of are crLK and st.LK. So you have a choice between blocking low and getting hit by giant step shenanigans or blocking high and getting hit with a sweep he can't combo off of to begin with. Once you realize that fact a lot of the means he has to open you up completely disappear and the giant step he usually has to rely on for opening you up in ground strings is seriously unsafe on block so if you're close enough it's a free punish.

Now that I think about it he'd probably be a lot better with one of Fukua's shadow assists than Drill assist for this reason ... hm.

Fukua's annoying.

Beats

GGs yesterday Beats -

Against Big Band there's really no incentive to blocking low after his light normals connect. Literally the only low normals he can start a combo off of are crLK and st.LK. So you have a choice between blocking low and getting hit by giant step shenanigans or blocking high and getting hit with a sweep he can't combo off of to begin with. Once you realize that fact a lot of the means he has to open you up completely disappear and the giant step he usually has to rely on for opening you up in ground strings is seriously unsafe on block so if you're close enough it's a free punish.

Now that I think about it he'd probably be a lot better with one of Fukua's shadow assists than Drill assist for this reason ... hm.

Fukua's annoying.

Yeah, good games! I have a habit of mostly holding downback whenever the opponent is attacking on the ground. > . < I'll keep what you said in mind for the next time I fight Big Band.

GGs

Yeah, that lag was the reason I stopped, really a shame because I seriously needed an asskicking like this. Random online battles just isn't that good of a way to practice for Evo. Granted, more than a couple of people there will likely be at around that level if the previous year is any indication, but yeah.

Really need to practice the Big Band match up more because I seriously have no idea how to properly deal with all that stuff you were doing.

Oh yeah, and that Big Band overhead + Fukua low shadow assist was just dirty man D:

GGs

Yeah, that lag was the reason I stopped, really a shame because I seriously needed an asskicking like this. Random online battles just isn't that good of a way to practice for Evo. Granted, more than a couple of people there will likely be at around that level if the previous year is any indication, but yeah.

Really need to practice the Big Band match up more because I seriously have no idea how to properly deal with all that stuff you were doing.

Oh yeah, and that Big Band overhead + Fukua low shadow assist was just dirty man D:

Against Big Band :
In most cases the thing to remember is to block high against him after he gets through his light normals. I mentioned it above but he has no low moves that he can start a combo off of that aren't cLK and stLK and Giant Step is inherently unsafe if blocked unless covered with an assist. Most Band's aren't going to use a setup with a low assist anyway so its good to condition yourself to just block high after a certain point while going up against him.

Beyond that he's probably most powerful when his opponent is around midscreen and least powerful when the opponent is in his face. His Beat Extend is BAD and often gets stuffed by moves that are within his hitbox by the time he starts the move. Get in his face and stay in it and he's more or less crippled as a result.

Assists :
Your assist usage is odd. Mainly I noticed that you either used them at random points while full screen or you used them offensively at the start of your block strings. You almost never used them in defensive areas and you almost never used them near the end of your block strings. The latter points are important because I should feel inherently threatened when you have a DP assist available and ready to use but the way you tend to use them meant that either your assist was already spent by the time your block string was ending or I just didn't have to worry about you using at all. A DP assist should fundamentally change the way in which your opponent is forced to approach you but I felt like Up-Do was more or less a non-factor in the majority of our matches.

Fukua :
Use command grabs more and explore her hilariously effective mixup options.

Off of cMP you could ...
  • Go into either command grab
  • Use Overhead or Low Shadow
  • crHK + Assist to crossup your opponent (you can then cancel the crossup into an overhead/low shadow for even MORE shenanigans when they start blocking this so they're forced to block the assist and then high/low based on what you chose)

You could HP -> Jump MK -> *wait* -> Crossup HK

and yeah, stuff. If you're ending a combo in Skullgirls in a super that doesn't kill (Parasoul sniper shot crumple excluded) instead of a reset then you're kinda doing it wrong. You had some neat stuff off of MK shadow but there's just a lot more you can be doing on that front.

Yeah my assist usage with this team is awful at the moment.

I keep trying to go for more command grabs with Fukua, but I still haven't really integrated it into my mixups. Honestly not that there was that much of a chance to do so today, it was pretty overwhelming lol

Speaking of Fukua, even though it got you as a reset from time to time, it's frustrating that cHP xx low shadow kept dropping. I just keep dropping that online like 80% of the time seriously :|

sephi22

Its been a year since I played this game and I'm thinking of going back in.

I heard there was some trouble with Lab Zero and publishers, and Skullgirls is officially Skullgirls Encore now. Does anyone know if the Indiegogo stuff like the additional voice packs and the other characters still coming?

I heard there was some trouble with Lab Zero and publishers, and Skullgirls is officially Skullgirls Encore now. Does anyone know if the Indiegogo stuff like the additional voice packs and the other characters still coming?

Yes the voice packs and the DLC character are coming, they are working on Elisa right now and released Squigly, Big Band and Fukua (she was not from igg campaign, it was a april 1st joke that Mike did in three days and now she's part of the roster)

Ravidrath

The game's in a totally different place now, with Encore out.

Tons of gameplay and presentation improvements, not to mention an expanding roster and lots of online momentum. You missed free Squigly, but Big Band is still free, and the additional characters will also be free when they hit.

And the voice packs are coming, but we're saving all of that non-critical "fan content" until the last patch. We're slowly chipping away at it, but ultimately people paid for the characters and story modes, so we're prioritizing that stuff.

Not sure if posted yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md3x1--gzK0 They start playing at 14:00 or around that time. Video quality of the matches are kind of choppy though.

Blind mode gameplay? I had no idea this was implemented already.

Can I get a full rundown oh how this mode works? I am immensely curious and interested. I am happy for these guys. Reminds me of that one Blind Mortal Kombat Scorpion player

EDIT: ok maybe they arent really blind, just blindfolded? Still a nice feature.

Hey guys, wondering if the pc community is active. Should I just buy for PS3 instead? I like spending money I guess and I haven't played the game in awhile (had it on 360).

Hey guys, wondering if the pc community is active. Should I just buy for PS3 instead? I like spending money I guess and I haven't played the game in awhile (had it on 360).

Both the PC and PS3 communities are active though you'll probably have a better chance of finding players at odd hours on PC. The PC version also has lobbies and your buying of that version of the game gives you access to the Beta for testing in-development characters and game changes.

Eliza for instance, the third DLC character, should probably be coming out pretty soon in the Beta as all that's holding her out of it is her lack of throws.

GGs Disco, it feels like I'm starting to deal better with Big Band but god he's still a pain D:

Also god damn it, is Fuku'as cHP xx low shadow really that strict that online I can only get it like 1 every 10 times? :|

GGs Disco, it feels like I'm starting to deal better with Big Band but god he's still a pain D:

Also god damn it, is Fuku'as cHP xx low shadow really that strict that online I can only get it like 1 every 10 times? :|

Seriously the key to Big Band is to respect absolutely nothing about him. His DPs are easily stuffed with multihitting air normals and his armor moves are likewise crippled in the same fashion. Stay on him and he folds, give him room and he'll find a way to land a random hit into big damage. And I'm surprised you didn't use more armor grab with Fukua as a catch all antiair and means to bait my inevitable LP after your Whatever->jHK pressure. You'd get counterhit doing something after landing a jHK and never responded by mixing it up with that grab which would have probably made the difference in a lot of situations.

And if you want strict try parrying online. The reason I restarted at first was because I had the set the delay to 0 and the game was having absolutely none of that. 2 frames made the game smooth as butter but at the cost of pretty much all of my parry stuff for Band.

;-;

Oh well, wasn't satisfied with the diversity of my block strings and I hate my over reliance of giant step during pressure. Immediately went into training mode after our matches to start incorporating assist + e-brake pressure to keep the hurt on. Hopefully in our next set I'll be using giant step far less often and have a more diverse set of block strings to throw at you.

And I'm surprised you didn't use more armor grab with Fukua as a catch all antiair and means to bait my inevitable LP after your Whatever->jHK pressure. You'd get counterhit doing something after landing a jHK and never responded by mixing it up with that grab which would have probably made the difference in a lot of situations.

Honestly, I'm probably just overly careful with that grab when playing people that know what they're doing because of how slow it is. I'll try to integrate it into my gameplan more often.

lol, yeah I have no right to complain about strict when you can't parry, but I mostly mention it because it's one of those things that don't look like there should be a reason for them to be like that.

Top Bottom