• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

you are aware that he literally said that it will depend on how it sells?

http://shoryuken.com/2012/04/10/sku...ith-movelists-and-dlc-if-the-game-sells-well/

look at the article title.

Mike Z doesn't have any power over whether Reverge can put out a patch or not; it's all up to Autumn Games giving them the greenlight to do it. Not getting the greenlight would mean that the game sales bomba'd so bad that the publisher doesn't think putting DLC out is worth what they'd have to pay MS/Sony to host it on their system.

So technically yes. But everyone expects this game to do well enough for an initial patch, I think--from the developer to the publisher to us fans.

Basically is like going to a brothel asking for a cheap prostitute.

They make you go inside the room, undress and later present you with a girl. She may not be stunning like the more expensive ones, but still cute.
You undress her and she has only one boob.

Now, not everyone really need to play with a complete pair of boobs to make the magic work, but for someone it may hinder the experience.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
People who don't understand game development ITT

They don't understand and they don't care.

On a practical level, this is the first game ever from an indie team that has referenced budget constraints as a problem in this thread. That doesn't inspire a ton of confidence that issues will be addressed down the line.

They make you go inside the room, undress and later present you with a girl. She may not be stunning like the more expensive ones, but still cute.

Now, not everyone really need to play with a complete pair of boobs to make the magic work, but for someone it may hinder the experience.

I want to make some sort of joke/meme out of this but I'm not funny enough. :(

alstein

On the movelists, it's an 8 character game, and it's not like any of these characters have like 20 special moves like say Ibuki in SF. With the exception of a couple of easily remembered moves, a person with even basic familiarity with fighters should know the moves in 1 match of practice or 1 run through arcade mode.

The input display is a bit of a bigger deal for vets, but it's not a game-killer by any stretch.

They'll put those in eventually- if this is a dealbreaker for you guys, just wait until it's patched in, it's not like a downloadable game goes out of stock. You should still even be able to buy the "Moe Moe Gangsta Edition"

Reminds me of that character in Kung Pao: Enter the Fist.

Also...

SKULLGIRLS OUT ON PSN STORE! USE SEARCH FUNCTION TO DOWNLOAD! GOGOGGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGGOGO

TO THE BATMOBILE!

to-the-batmobile.jpg

Ferrio

Banned
They don't understand and they don't care.

On a practical level, this is the first game ever from an indie team that has referenced budget constraints as a problem in this thread. That doesn't inspire a ton of confidence that issues will be addressed down the line.

Money from sales = Funding for additional development.

Plenty of times when small devs have to ship out their product early to get more money to continue working on it.

Tucah

you speak so well
Downloading PSN demo now. I'm a casual fighter fan (I like some Capcom fighters but I'm not very good). The artstyle kind of puts me off but the training mode is a huge plus and if the mechanics are fun enough I don't really care how the game looks.

We'll see how this goes, fuck my slow internet taking 20 minutes to download this game :(

Tizoc

FUCK YES! Gonna have my PS3 dl it for the night then tomorrow I'll indulge in it when I get back from work ;.;

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
One more day for XBLA. :(

Honestly, I want the input detection system, for training mode, MikeZ was talking about last night. He can take his time on it, cause that would help my poor execution out way more than the traditional one. >.>

Dachande

This is a dangerous argument to make. The end consumer shouldn't have to understand how a product is made to have opinions of it. Is it a plus? Sure, but it should never be a requirement.

Yes, but-- well, what Raging Spaniard said. People have been going "why can't they just put it in, it's just text in a menu!!!", when it's not that simple, and those are the people I was addressing in my throwaway comment. People shouldn't make claims like that if they don't know what's actually involved, and it's annoying to see it over and over again.

Anyway! Time to download the PSN demo and get some practice in before I buy it on XBL tomorrow. Assuming there's a PSN demo up now, but I imagine there is...

Lothars

15 dollar budget fighting game being compared to 60 dollar large dev games. SMH.

Seriously guys, ya it doesn't have all the features you might expect. But it has ones we've never seen before either. You're getting a full game for less money than an expansion that's already on a damn disk you previously bought.
I think it should be critizied for the things it's missing just like any other game would, price makes a difference but price isn't always the determining factor for what we should or shouldn't talk about, It doesn't mean I am not going to buy it because I am buying it on both systems to support the developer and I love fighting games, I just think it's a mistake not to include it but I understand why they did and I hope they patch it in eventually.

Yes, but-- well, what Raging Spaniard said. People have been going "why can't they just put it in, it's just text in a menu!!!", when it's not that simple, and those are the people I was addressing in my throwaway comment. People shouldn't make claims like that if they don't know what's actually involved, and it's annoying to see it over and over again.

Anyway! Time to download the PSN demo and get some practice in before I buy it on XBL tomorrow. Assuming there's a PSN demo up now, but I imagine there is...
Of course it's not just a simple text menu and I don't know how complicated or uncomplicated it is to add but It's something that anyone interested in the game should know before going in.

Yes, I know. Although I do find it very, very, very hard to justify full, completed on-disc DLC. Irrelevant here, at least.

Different circumstances. But still, it's people not understanding game development, budgeting and staff allocation all the same and how it effects the end product.

Some people accepted it and just say, I still don't like it, even though they know how it goes.

Some people don't want to believe.

That intro in full HD at 60 FPS ... I've been waiting for this moment for quite some time ... thank you reverge, thank you MikeZ, thank you Alex Ahad and god speed to all of Gaf

-salutes-

Edit : That main menu music ... too good.

notworksafe

Frank "Trashman" Reynolds;36820843 said:
It might be worth the delay to you. Essential component? lol whatever

And how many of these fighters you're talking about were developed as a $15 budget title?
Isn't this supposed to be the ideal game for scrubs to ease into fighting games? No move list should help with that.

Isn't it also supposed to be great for seasoned fighter fans? No inputs in practice mode will be a huge hit with those people.

Seems to me this is just a "not quite finished" title that people are defending to the death because it's indie.

Dachande

Different circumstances. But still, it's people not understanding game development, budgeting and staff allocation all the same and how it effects the end product.

Some people accepted it and just say, I still don't like it, even though they know how it goes.

Some people don't want to believe.

Oh yeah, sure. I wouldn't full-on judge without seeing their production schedules and how their budget worked. I'm generally a defender of on-launch DLC where it was clearly not part of the game's original scope, but completed on-disc DLC is at least a bit shady no matter how it's sliced. It helps that I didn't give even the tiniest of shits about SFxT, to be honest.

Isn't this supposed to be the ideal game for scrubs to ease into fighting games? No move list should help with that.

Move lists are available on the Skullgirls website and on sites such as SRK. If you have a broadband connection to download Skullgirls in the first place you probably also have access to these resources. It sucks it isn't there, but come the fuck on. And how do you know this isn't the "ideal game for scrubs"? Have you used the tutorial and training modes already and determined they sucked?

Isn't it also supposed to be great for seasoned fighter fans? No inputs in practice mode will be a huge hit with those people.

A huge hit? Really? Seasoned fighter fans will still practice and develop great execution regardless if it is displayed on screen or not. Again, come the fuck on here.

Seems to me this is just a "not quite finished" title that people are defending to the death because it's indie.

Not quite finished in the sense that you and others are making a huge deal over features that are not quite as important as you want them to be. They would be nice definitely, and hopefully they are added in a patch. Definitely not decision making features when deciding if you want to buy the game or not... unless you are stupid.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Bought and downloadin' now... don't have much time to devote to fighters at the moment and I'm not much good at Marvel-style games, but Mike Z, Alex Ahad, and the rest of the team at Reverge deserve the support.

Cannot wait to try out Parasoul and Peacock!

The skullgirls tutorial on Mixup offense is SOOOOO good. I just completed and its one of those things that I really had trouble with in King of Fighters just because my natural inclination after a blocked attack was to go into another short hop rather than going into a grounded overhead or something.

kewlmyc

Damn, it won't let me download the demo. It says error. Oh well, I'll just download Persona 3 now and Skullgirls later.

Top Bottom