• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

Pejo

Been silently following this game for a long time now, just woke up from a nap to see it's up on PSN. Bought and downloading now, will post impressions later.

NEO0MJ

Played a bit of training mode. Game feel awesome.
Also, Painwheel is so brutal, feel like her attacks have a lot of weight behind them.

How's online feeling?
I've only fought a single match against someone with a ping of 38 in the US from the northeast section which I chose(yeah, you can search for particular regions of the US!). I set the delay to 1 and it was equal to a 4 bar match in BlazBlue. A four bar match in BlazBlue is like playing your opponent while dry humping them. It doesn't get any closer... or more awkward than that.

remist

Man, Peacock is such a cool character. I might try soloing with her so I don't have to learn another character, but she feels like she needs an assist to help her keepaway.

kewlmyc

I've only fought a single match against someone with a ping of 38 in the US from the northeast section which I chose(yeah, you can search for particular regions of the US!). I set the delay to 1 and it was equal to a 4 bar match in BlazBlue. A four bar match in BlazBlue is like playing your opponent while dry humping them. It doesn't get any closer... or more awkward than that.

You weren't using Ms. Fortune were you, by chance?

Also, yeah, online is buttery smooth. Capcom could learn from these guys.

K701

Banned
Well my download is finally done. Played the tutorial and finished all the lessons in the demo, played some training then arcade mode.

Something about the fighting seems...off, like... The hits lack an "oomph". As if the characters lack presence or something. It's weird and makes it...boring?

Or maybe it's just that I exclusively play fighting games vs other people and found the arcade mode boring?

I dunno... I don't think I'm gonna spend the $15.00 to find out.

Got the PS3 demo. Played for about an hour. I am not liking how the hits and sounds feel tbh. I will probably get used to it though.

Will play more when I get the XBL version tomorrow.

I wonder how you unlock colors for the girls. I'm dying to use Peacock's Cirno color.

My first thought is to try beating Arcade with her. Up the difficulty is nothing unlocks. It's not like there's a ton of stuff to actually do. >.>

Try selecting her as a character a lot, too.

I am LOVING this game. Seriously. I've been spending all of my time in tutorial mode so far, practicing teching throws since it's a major weakness of mine. Honestly, this is a great addition. Of course, I love the graphics too! I feel like this is a game I'll be able to stick with. Kudos to the developers! Thank you for this game.

Naite

Damn marie is fucking diabolical...

still trying to beat her.

What I've been doing is chaining into a launcher, then jump and air block.

I can get the first 2 forms down fairly easy, but fighting the 3rd form, on the hardest difficulty, with only Cerebella, and no option to change characters after losing just makes me really sad.

I wonder how you unlock colors for the girls. I'm dying to use Peacock's Cirno color.

So far I've unlocked one color for beating story mode with a character.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Bought. Enjoying it so far. The animations are really great.

Got the PS3 demo. Played for about an hour. I am not liking how the hits and sounds feel tbh. I will probably get used to it though.

The SFX are a bit loud - I think you can turn them down, didn't check.

El Sloth

Banned
Is a poke into a throw even possible? What am I doing wrong?

Tick throws are definitely possible since Mike Z does them every time he shows off the game. Go into training and look at the hitstun bar that shows up after you hit the character and time your grab for when the bar depletes.

Edit: Unless you're talking about comboing into a throw? In which case no, I think you can only combo into throws after stagger?

Gonna pick this up tonight. Peacock here I come.

Ugh, tick throws. I never got used to throws because so many folks down in New Orleans just didn't use them, or avoided them because they pissed people off. People at the Penny Arcade on Royal St. used to threaten to stab you if you started throwing them.

El Sloth

Banned
Gonna pick this up tonight. Peacock here I come.

Ugh, tick throws. I never got used to throws because so many folks down in New Orleans just didn't use them, or avoided them because they pissed people off. People at the Penny Arcade on Royal St. used to threaten to stab you if you started throwing them.

Ah, the good old days when throwing could leave you with a bloody nose.

Apollyon

Neo Member
Before the release, I was watching match videos of Skullgirls on my TV through my PC as a PS3 Media Server, trying to give myself a better idea of how it would look when actually playing it. Which actually did help a lot.

Now that I'm seeing the full game for myself, in person, Skullgirls looks even better than I had pictured it would. A really easy buy for me at $15.

This is one of the things that caught my eye after the Ultrachen thing last night. Mike mentioned that it's a tighter window if you tech throw on reaction (which I do a lot) and that kind of bothers me a bit :(

Actually, my problem was trying to crouch and tech. The window wasn't bad once I realized what I was doing.

I bought it when I woke up this morning and got a chance to play for about ten minutes before heading off to work.

DELICIOUS. I can't believe it's finally here!

I've played another 10-15 online matches and it is pretty smooth. I'd put the average somewhere at 3-4 bars in BB. It feels better than SFIV(probably due to the combo friendly chain system, links were terrible) and miles ahead of Mahvel. I don't have experience with SFxT. SCV is 3D so I don't know about using that game for comparison. The lack of a traditional challenge mode like BB's is definitely hurting me. I'll have to find a nice source for combos using launchers for both Parasoul and Valentine. It's a really fun game to just mash around with too.

I beat arcade mode and that music is amazing. Classiest fighting game since MvC2 with it's jazz.
You weren't using Ms. Fortune were you, by chance?
I'm using Valentine and Parasoul.
Edit: Unless you're talking about comboing into a throw? In which case no, I think you can only combo into throws after stagger?
Cerebella can combo into throws on staggered opponents. I don't know about the others.
I'm probably doing somethig wrong but the lag is insaaaaane.
What pings do your opponents have? I have no issues with 90s and below. I have not run into anyone with a higher ping.

I've played another 10-15 online matches and it is pretty smooth. I'd put the average somewhere at 3-4 bars in BB. It feels better than SFIV(probably due to the combo friendly chain system, links were terrible) and miles ahead of Mahvel. I don't have experience with SFxT. SCV is 3D so I don't know about using that game for comparison. The lack of a traditional challenge mode like BB's is definitely hurting me. I'll have to find a nice source for combos using launchers for both Parasoul and Valentine. It's a really game to just mash around with too.

I beat arcade mode and that music is amazing. Classiest fighting game since MvC2 with it's jazz.

I'm using Valentine and Parasoul.

Cerebella can combo into throws on staggered opponents. I don't know about the others.

What pings do your opponents have? I have no issues with 90s and below. I have not run into anyone with a higher ping.

It is a fighter, lag feels the same as any 2-D fighter, you can use SCV for comparison.

Anyways, have you experienced any disconnects yet?

TGMIII

Fuck it I'm just going to make a US PSN account and buy it. Anyone know of any sites I can buy a USN $10 code that email you the code?

Pejo

just gave all the characters a spin, and I gotta say this is the first time in a fighting game where I haven't had a clear favorite character after one go-around with each.

I really wanted to like Parasoul based on design alone, but the whole slow movement + charge moves thing always destroys me, never could master Bison on any of the SF games either.

Moved on to the faster rushdown characters because I'm an eternal noob and I never block, definitely found some fun with Ms. Fortune and Painwheel.

Not that I put a ton of time into this game yet, but as of right now i must admit, i'm using normals a LOT more and relying less on specials. I like that.

I'm sure I would get destroyed online like usual in fighting games, but it doesn't stop me from loving them.

kewlmyc

Trying my hand with Painwheel. Not really liking her so far; hard to combo. Maybe I'll like her later on after some practice.

Peacock's projectile play is pure retarded (in a good way). I might try Filia next, even though she seems plain. After that, I'll try Valentine since her speed seems godly.

Top Bottom