• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

Esura

Banned
I hope they make the true final boss
Marie
playable down the line. I would buy her in a heartbeat.

I bought my PSN card, now I have to wait til I get off work. T_T

TheOGB

Banned
Implicit final boss spoiler
I think anybody paying attention could figure out who it was but GODDAMN THAT SHIT LOOKS BANAENAE

Nyoro SF

Marie
apparently has
hyper armor
at all times. That's pretty cheap, the only way to really beat bosses like that is to run away and throw shit but
she'll probably suck you up in her vacuum cleaner...

Lothars

I hope they make the true final boss
Marie
playable down the line. I would buy her in a heartbeat.

I bought my PSN card, now I have to wait til I get off work. T_T
I haven't bought my PSN card yet but I can't wait to get it for I can buy this game. I just wish the day would go quicker.

mr. puppy

Banned
so this game basically does everything right that capcom does wrong, and thus is going to be completely ignored in fighting game tournies?

LegatoB

Marie
apparently has
hyper armor
at all times. That's pretty cheap, the only way to really beat bosses like that is to run away and throw shit but
she'll probably suck you up in her vacuum cleaner...
I guess Mike Z got his crouching normals, but in exchange, they didn't do
gethit animations
!

Ferrio

Banned
so this game basically does everything right that capcom does wrong, and thus is going to be completely ignored in fighting game tournies?

There's boobs man, we can't take it serious with the boobs. It's not also full priced and filled with bullshit DLC, there must be a reason!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

People said that about KOFXIII as well, but KOF is getting plenty of love at tournaments.

If Skullgirls doesn't take off, I don't think it will be because it's not a Capcom game.

I'm glad they corrected Capcom's ills of including an in-game command list in their games.
I mean, I have a smartphone now, so why would I need such a thing, Capcom?

People said that about KOFXIII as well, but KOF is getting plenty of love at tournaments.

If Skullgirls doesn't take off, I don't think it will be because it's not a Capcom game.

KOF is only taking off because MLG picked it up. If there was no money in it, you'd hear nothing about it.

Or maybe it won't take off because people won't like it by it's own merits? Jesus, everything is not capcoms fault.

Maybe it will take off or maybe it won't. We shall see. What if people honestly don't find it fun and unappealing? Heaven forbid.

Hope it does well though.

Max has joined the team.

6QODh.png

1Tm9J.png

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
KOF is only taking off because MLG picked it up. If there was no money in it, you'd hear nothing about it.

Which has nothing to do with it being a non-Capcom game.

And KOFXIII has gotten hype from a lot of quarters, despite the superstition that people in the US only play Capcom. (Lets ignore all the Tekken guys...)

More generally I realize it's the cool thing right now to make Capcom and their mistakes seem like the pivot by which fighting games swing, but that's simply not the case. I think this trend we have is pretty dumb, whereby people feel the need to point out how awesome a FG is because it's "nothing like what Cacpcom would do". Then respond to criticisms of a non-Capcom game with, effectively, "so what it's not Capcom that's what matters".

I realize I'm contributing to thread derail, but right now it seems you cannot have a discussion about a fighting game without a noticeable number of people coming in to crow about how great it is, that it's not a Capcom game.

And at a certain point, it seems to become implicit in their attitudes that if you're not ONE WITH THE REBEL, the brave freethinker who has renounced the swill that Capcom puts out, you're just a sheeple. Not like us smart people over here playing anything that's not a Capcom game, just for the sake of it not being published by Capcom.

It's like people to only come into a thread to say they play Battlefield to strike a blow at Activision and Call of Duty. Clap clap clap, stick a gold star on their beret and hand them a cookie.

Sorry, I'll shut up now.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
No command list seems a really weird oversight. Like... I dont even really understand it at all. Still picking this up at some point, but it kinda takes the "flawless execution" polish off of the whole package.

Which has nothing to do with it being a non-Capcom game.

And KOFXIII has gotten hype from a lot of quarters, despite the superstition that people in the US only play Capcom. (Lets ignore all the Tekken guys...)

More generally I realize it's the cool thing right now to make Capcom and their mistakes seem like the pivot by which fighting games swing, but that's simply not the case. I think this trend we have is pretty dumb, whereby people feel the need to point out how awesome a FG is because it's "nothing like what Cacpcom would do". Then respond to criticisms of a non-Capcom game with, effectively, "so what it's not Capcom that's what matters".

I realize I'm contributing to thread derail, but right now it seems you cannot have a discussion about a fighting game without a noticeable number of people coming in to crow about how great it is, that it's not a Capcom game.

And at a certain point, it seems to become implicit in their attitudes that if you're not ONE WITH THE REBEL, the brave freethinker who has renounced the swill that Capcom puts out, you're just a sheeple. Not like us smart people over here playing anything that's not a Capcom game, just for the sake of it not being published by Capcom.

It's like people to only come into a thread to say they play Battlefield to strike a blow at Activision and Call of Duty. Clap clap clap, stick a gold star on their beret and hand them a cookie.

Sorry, I'll shut up now.

Nah it's fair, I think the primary reason people behave that way with regards to non-Capcom games is that there is an extremely large majority of people who will shit on any fighting game that isn't by Capcom, and simply ignore it right out of the gate, even though it may be a far better product, thus it will not do as well.

That power has far more control over whether or not a game does well than whether or not it's good. Being good now a days has little to no effect on sales. It's all marketing and social acceptance.

Solune

Will purchase this on the weekend, looks great. It is coming out today on PSN right?
Yes, as long as the update goes through on time. It's in the OP.
No command list seems a really weird oversight. Like... I dont even really understand it at all. Still picking this up at some point, but it kinda takes the "flawless execution" polish off of the whole package.

At first I felt this was an oversight as well, but Ravidrath already touched up on it. Memory usage is almost at full capacity so it was difficult to implement. Hopefully if possible they will patch it in.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
At first I felt this was an oversight as well, but Ravidrath already touched up on it. Memory usage is almost at full capacity so it was difficult to implement. Hopefully if possible they will patch it in.

Thats the very definition of an oversight.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
"I can't play this foreign filth until the fall, you gotta be kidding me"
"All the characters look the same to me"
"It's just like all american animation, it has the same design"

lol 2chan

Nah it's fair, I think the primary reason people behave that way with regards to non-Capcom games is that there is an extremely large majority of people who will shit on any fighting game that isn't by Capcom, and simply ignore it right out of the gate, even though it may be a far better product, thus it will not do as well.

That power has far more control over whether or not a game does well than whether or not it's good. Being good now a days has little to no effect on sales. It's all marketing and social acceptance.
but that goes both ways. there are a ton of people who hate on capcom just because capcom.

one of the reasons capcom fighting games are popular are because they make mainstream fighting games. regardless of whether or not the game is good, its important to have a lot of players in order to have a healthy scene. in a way, i feel like skullgirls is almost shooting itself in the foot by creating what looks/feels/smells/etc like a niche game. its not impossible for a niche game to transfer over into mainstream status, but it'd have to have a lot of good things about it in order to achieve that.

Skilletor

Seems to me like the opposite is happening far more often.

There's boobs man, we can't take it serious with the boobs. It's not also full priced and filled with bullshit DLC, there must be a reason!

Boobs are always a plus.

Always.

If I wasn't ungodly broke right now I would be day 1. Just bought a fightstick with my birthday money so I need all the figthing games I can get to justify the purchase lol.

Bebpo

Banned
No movelists makes it feel more like classic fighting games, that nostalgic feeling of printing out movelists and having them at your side while you're first learning all the characters.

I do think in-game movelist should be in, but if they couldn't, they couldn't.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

これって外人にとっては萌えキャラなの?
"Are these Moe characters for foreigners?"

lol

AEREC

No movelists makes it feel more like classic fighting games, that nostalgic feeling of printing out movelists and having them at your side while you're first learning all the characters.

I do think in-game movelist should be in, but if they couldn't, they couldn't.

I thought I read somewhere there would be a smartphone move list available at some point. I kinda prefer that instead of an in-game one.

Will be purchased as soon as possible.

PSN- hikarutimitt - South US
XBLA - hikarutilmitt - South US

Mind the missing l in my PSN ID.
I really, really wish I could fix that without regging a new account

El Sloth

Banned
これって外人にとっては萌えキャラなの?
"Are these Moe characters for foreigners?"

lol

Hahahaha! The best post.

It's okay, some said the same thing."With the only difference between girls in Japanese animation is their hair, you couldn't otherwise tell them apart"
Haha, that's almost word for word what I immediately said in my head when I saw those quotes. Good stuff, please post more.

El Sloth

Banned
Slowly going through the UltraChen from last night, and I am very disappointed to hear there is no input display in the training mode. That is a pretty big feature for me since I am constantly trying to clean up my sloppy inputs and is always a big help when I can't do something and I don't know why. Hope it's on the short list for things to be patched in.

RS4-

Slowly going through the UltraChen from last night, and I am very disappointed to hear there is no input display in the training mode. That is a pretty big feature for me since I am constantly trying to clean up my sloppy inputs and is always a big help when I can't do something and I don't know why. Hope it's on the short list for things to be patched in.

Stop playing SFIV series to clean up your execution!

:D

Top Bottom