• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

mr. puppy

Banned
i like the idea behind the health....if you want more mixup/reset/synergy/skills in your character then you have to take a health cut everytime you add more people. i guess its like how akuma vs. ryu may work.....more health=less options.

AAK

Bought.

There I've done my part. Hope you guys stay alive and strong and bring out more sprite based videogames!

I'll also start streaming in a few minutes, if anyone's interested. The stream quality isn't all that great, but I figure it couldn't hurt to try.

http://www.twitch.tv/sousedlouse

I'll start out with Arcade Mode, and then move onto Story Mode for a bit, so you should probably avoid my stream if you want to keep spoiler free.

The streams I watched really didn't do this game justice. Looks so good.

Definitely, It looks amazing in person. I like it. Did the tutorials first, they are extremely well done -- felt like I was actually learning something. Played against A.I. and got my arse handed to me a few times. Overall, great addition to the current roster of fighters. Sadly, I'm probably going to pass on purchasing or at the very least, wait a good while or something. I dig watching fighters in action (via streams, etc.) but dude, I suck at playing them. Great game though, how fluid the animation is compared to the streams I've watched is like night and day.

Been playing the game for about an hour now and it looks absolutely stunning. I never noticed the "1 million" reference to Tak Fuji with Parasoul's motorcycle super haha

Neat things:
-Spent a bit with hitboxes and hitstun bar. Very nice additions.
-There are three different HUD sizes. It's a cool addition. Medium size feels good for me
-The button check system works by button presses instead of scrolling. Very comfortable
-Mapping buttons to L bumper/trigger is easy as hell
-Already tried some combos here and there. Filia is amazingly fast, Valentine is combo friendly as hell. Parasoul will take time for me to learn
-I love the fact that it loads up fast. Please don't prompt us for DLC updates 24/7 like Marvel vs Capcom does. It is annoying as hell

Annoying or definitely needs to be up:
-I really can't wait for Move lists to make it into the game's internal structure. I'm gonna print them out on paper, but it would be more comfortable in the game itself. I think I'm gonna be trying out all the characters for a long time to come and having movelists in the game would be a Godsend.

Anyone holding out on this game over some trivial shit like move lists or input display are doing themselves and the genre a disservice imo. Not buying because you don't like the art style is understandable though. The demo is very useful. Give it a try, fellas.

You can set up a one button dash. LP+MP is the button input.

Edit: Launchers in this game are awesome. They link pretty well IMO. This game is very combo friendly. Valentine will definitely stay on my team.
This sounds like a solution to the "what about the two dudes I know who'll end up playing this on an SD CRT" question I had a year or so ago! Hooray!
Yeah, I think this game will be CRT's best friend. It'd be nice if the HUD's could be moved up higher when they get smaller though. They move down a few pixels. It's an overall improvement though. UMVC3 needs something like this so bad.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Definitely, It looks amazing in person. I like it. Did the tutorials first, they are extremely well done -- felt like I was actually learning something. Played against A.I. and got my arse handed to me a few times. Overall, great addition to the current roster of fighters. Sadly, I'm probably going to pass on purchasing or at the very least, wait a good while or something. I dig watching fighters in action (via streams, etc.) but dude, I suck at playing them. Great game though, how fluid the animation is compared to the streams I've watched is like night and day.

Does it matter if you suck as long as youre having fun?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Does it matter if you suck as long as youre having fun?

For a lot of people, including myself, losing at fighters takes a lot of the fun out of it. Big part of the reason I won't be buying (at least not right away). I LOVE the tutorial in the demo, but past experiences with fighters this gen (seriously, I've been through just about all of them) have made me wary about buying any more.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
For a lot of people, including myself, losing at fighters takes a lot of the fun out of it. Big part of the reason I won't be buying (at least not right away). I LOVE the tutorial in the demo, but past experiences with fighters this gen (seriously, I've been through just about all of them) have made me wary about buying any more.

Maybe find a group of fighting game noobs you can play with online with some regularity? (GAF has organized this in the past) If you play in a bigger city, its not too hard to find some locals as well.

Its all about finding people at your level that you can grow with.

Tokubetsu

Imagine my surprise to see people playing this on my PSN friends list! Gonna wait for the 360 version tomorrow though. I only have a 360 stick.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Maybe find a group of fighting game noobs you can play with online with some regularity? (GAF has organized this in the past) If you play in a bigger city, its not too hard to find some locals as well.

Its all about finding people at your level that you can grow with.

It's not really just that though. Another big part of it is that it takes forever to get decent at a fighter. And I just don't feel like the time required is worth the amount of fun I'd have. I'd rather use that time experiencing as many games as possible, and playing games I enjoy every moment of, rather than training for hours on end for enjoyment later.

I still love fighters, I really do. It used to be my absolute favorite genre. But that was before the internet came around and exposed me to the FGC aspect of it. Now I feel like the fun I used to have with fighters was the "wrong kind" of fun (just playing the AI, never getting too deep into the more advanced stuff). I don't know...

Either way, this isn't the place for this rant. Skullgirls is a fantastic game. Absolutely fantastic. A game which Capcom and even ASW could stand to take some pointers from. That much is made extremely clear by the demo. It's just not something I feel like I should buy right now.

Nyoro SF

Maybe I'm being a bit of an asshole but why would you enter a game thread just to tell people you're not going to buy the game?

sephi22

I beat the CPU on ridiculous (or whatever the last difficulty is) ... twice... in the demo.

I feel the claims of the CPU difficulty being too high are exaggerated. The only BS I experienced was against Peacock on the highest difficulty. She hitconfirms everything the second it hits you into Arguuuuuuss.... agooooonyyyyyy

Now I know how people felt fighting against Cable

Naite

Really enjoying Cerebella. Once I feel more comfortable with her I'll probably start learning Painwheel and Peacock next.

I just finished the story. Double's AI was pretty fun to fight again, as well as the final battle. One thing that kinda bugged me a little is how the character portraits kept disappearing and reappearing during dialogue but otherwise it was okay.

Also is there a faster way to reset the character position in training mode than ending the match and restarting?

Maybe I'm being a bit of an asshole but why would you enter a game thread just to tell people you're not going to buy the game?

Because we'd like to share our experience with the demo that was provided and praise it, even if I don't plan on purchasing, those you who are on the fence for reasons other than mine should because it really is great fighter that has quite a bit to offer, even to those lacking in experience?

Did you not read my post above? should I only post in a thread if I (plan to) purchase said game? ...did I ONLY state I'm not purchasing said game the entire post?

Played a little bit, really liking it so far. Played through story with Fillia, played one match online (which ran super smooth, no noticeable rollback) and went into Training Mode with Valentine. I am just waiting a bit to play some more online, hopefully once people are home from work there will be plenty of people online.

Raging Spaniard

It's not really just that though. Another big part of it is that it takes forever to get decent at a fighter. And I just don't feel like the time required is worth the amount of fun I'd have. I'd rather use that time experiencing as many games as possible, and playing games I enjoy every moment of, rather than training for hours on end for enjoyment later.

I still love fighters, I really do. It used to be my absolute favorite genre. But that was before the internet came around and exposed me to the FGC aspect of it. Now I feel like the fun I used to have with fighters was the "wrong kind" of fun (just playing the AI, never getting too deep into the more advanced stuff). I don't know...

Either way, this isn't the place for this rant. Skullgirls is a fantastic game. Absolutely fantastic. A game which Capcom and even ASW could stand to take some pointers from. That much is made extremely clear by the demo. It's just not something I feel like I should buy right now.

Thats understandable. A good chunk of my late teenage years was spent playing Street Fighter EX on single player, haha.

I wouldnt let anyone dictate what kind of fun you should have, who cares what other people find fun or think? If you enjoy playing SP, then do that, you know?

Either way, just trying to help :)

Nyphestus

Neo Member
Bought and briefly played the game, loving it so far.

I would like to pick up an arcade stick, but seeing as I have never purchased one, I seem to be at a loss for what to look for. Any pointers? Good brands?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Thats understandable. A good chunk of my late teenage years was spent playing Street Fighter EX on single player, haha.

I wouldnt let anyone dictate what kind of fun you should have, who cares what other people find fun or think? If you enjoy playing SP, then do that, you know?

Either way, just trying to help :)

It's appreciated. Thanks man. :D

Lothars

Because we'd like to share our experience with the demo that was provided and praise it, even if I don't plan on purchasing, those you who are on the fence for reasons other than mine should because it really is great fighter that has quite a bit to offer, even to those lacking in experience?

Did you not read my post above? should I only post in a thread if I (plan to) purchase said game? ...did I ONLY state I'm not purchasing said game the entire post?
I don't think he was referring to your post but to Seraphis Cain post either way I don't think his post was a big deal, everyone is allowed to post whatever, I am like Seraphis where I play mainly singleplayer but I am getting more online and actually might be getting into the local scene here.

rCIZZLE

I would like to pick up an arcade stick, but seeing as I have never purchased one, I seem to be at a loss for what to look for. Any pointers? Good brands?

Madcatz TE is typically the best bang for your buck if you only plan on playing on one console. If you want a dual modded for playing with friends, tournaments, locals, etc then eightarc is really the only choice unless you have a Qanba shipped in or pay for an expensive custom stick.

alstein

Am I the only who finds that Cerebella combo in the 4-1 Tutorial superhard?

And yeah, the end credits music is particularly killer.

Raging Spaniard

If you live near NY I can give you an extra one I have for relatively cheap ... and its an awesome one

Just finished Peacock's story, I loved how it setup the next chapter with the
fight between her and Black Dahlia, guess whenever they expand it its going to be Peacock vs. The Mafia
. The ending credits were absolutely fantastic and the story itself ... was actually pretty good! I'm pleasantly surprised.

kewlmyc

And yeah, the end credits music is particularly killer.

I kinda find it hard, then again I'm new to fighting games and I'm not used to using my arcade stick yet.

That's the main reason why I bought this game, to mostly use the tutorial to learn how to play.

Dachande

This is really great. My only qualm with the tutorial in the demo is that it forces you to pick 2 characters, and I have zero interest in Cerebella, so I wish there was only one. Haven't tried the demo's arcade mode yet, so hopefully that doesn't force the same thing. Oh well though, it won't matter to me past tonight when the XBL version goes up.

Yeah, it took me about 10 minutes to get it down.

Top Bottom