• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

joe2187

Banned
Dash in the air. Press any button. You have cancelled the dash animation and are now performing an air attack that causes you to fall (with some momentum due to the air dash).

Nope I mean how you can cancel jumping attacks into an air dash, so you can get a longer air combo. The last tutorial teaches this and it's pretty neat.

NEO0MJ

How much space on the HDD does Skullgirls take? I know the install file is 1.2 GB but I find it hard to believe that THAT'S it's actual size.

It's actually 1161 MB, with a 141 KB save data file.

After finishing story mode with Peacock I don't see the problem with the game's AI, but maybe that's because I'm awesome.

Crocodile

I'm going to be grinding the single-player modes for a while before I hit online. I'd rather be just an easy target rather than super free :p As much as I suck at fighting games in general, I'm really enjoying myself :)

shaowebb

*the following is what I've been doing since I made my last post after Wake Up Shoryuken aired*
O_O " Please drop on 360, Please drop on 360, Please drop on 360, Please drop on 360, Please drop on 360, Please drop on 360, Please drop on 360, Please drop on 360, Please drop on 360, Please drop on 360..."

Damn. Swag Ms.Fortune combo I came up with. It's gonna be my HeadOn Bnb.

Requires Head On
6841 in 1v1
s.HK -> j.MP j.HP (dash cancel) j.HP -> QCB+LK (land) c.MP -> s.HK ->j.LP j.MP -> j.HP (dash cancel) j.MK -> QCB+HP (land) c.MK -> s.HK > j.LK -> j.MK -> j.HK -> QCB+2K

That's half health on a solo character with 1 meter. This is day 1. Welcome to Skullgirls.

shaowebb

Im hoping this game turns enough heads and generates enough raised voices about the merits of its playstyle and functionality that Capcom gets put on notice about the things they should be trying to do.

Game is freakin' tight looking. God I hope they make crazy money and rep. off of this thing. I'm not thinking Minecraft numbers or anything ridiculous, but man do I want to see Reverge make a fortune so that they can stick around and put together more things. Best bunch of fighting game oriented people ever.

Tizoc

Im hoping this game turns enough heads and generates enough raised voices about the merits of its playstyle and functionality that Capcom gets put on notice about the things they should be trying to do.

Agreed, I personlly would like to see them patch/balance stuff in UMvC3 and SFxT, if not remove elements (eg KFC gets nerfed to Lvl. 1, requires meter to activate)

Dartastic

Damn. Swag Ms.Fortune combo I came up with. It's gonna be my HeadOn Bnb.

Requires Head On
6841 in 1v1
s.HK -> j.MP j.HP (dash cancel) j.HP -> QCB+LK (land) c.MP -> s.HK ->j.LP j.MP -> j.HP (dash cancel) j.MK -> QCB+HP (land) c.MK -> s.HK > j.LK -> j.MK -> j.HK -> QCB+2K

That's half health on a solo character with 1 meter. This is day 1. Welcome to Skullgirls.
GOOD TO HEAR. SHE'S GONNA BE MY MEW WHEN IT COMES OUT TOMORROW ON 360.

Game is freakin' tight looking. God I hope they make crazy money and rep. off of this thing. I'm not thinking Minecraft numbers or anything ridiculous, but man do I want to see Reverge make a fortune so that they can stick around and put together more things. Best bunch of fighting game oriented people ever.
Yeah. This game is legit. People need to be playing this game.

joe2187

Banned
Thinking about it. A "Jumping/Air Normal Air Dash Cancel" is just a standard magneto loop.

I've never played an air dash character besides Morrigan, and darkstalkers didn't have this mechanic I believe it's been so long since I actually played against people in that game.

IT'S NEW TO ME!

Esura

Banned
Wow, I'm so lost on this game right now when it comes to combos. Don't know exactly where to start. So much stuff I can do.

When I was coming up with the combo .. I dunno. At a certain point you just GET infinite prevention and you can make it work to your advantage. There being no hitstun scaling in the game means as long as you have a basic understanding of the underlying mechanics involved regarding ground bounces and such you can plan out a combo section by section and have it work. This game is a theory fighters dream come true.

Skidd

Wow. This game has a learn curve. I'm not the greatest at fighters but I do know how to hold my own. This isn't going to be easily accessible for most players and I don't know how many are going to be willing to jump into the tutorial to learn the game.

Yup. I'll finish tutorials before I even try any other modes. Easy AI is handing my ass to me. (This is not a game for button-smashers)

That's what I don't like about these kind of fighters. They're never newcomer friendly. The only "fighters" I've played are Smash Bros. and DoA on PS2, and I don't feel confident at all, coming into this game. I want to like this game, and I'm gonna buy it because I wanna support the developer, but the amount of sucking I have to do before I even become decent is not encouraging.

I don't know what the deal is with these 'serious' fighters, but is it too much to ask for button icons? Especially in tutorials. LP and LK are gibberish to me, just give me a button prompt. Or, for the best of both worlds, why not put both: Perform LK ( X ) + LP ( [] ). I've had couple of times when I need to pause the tutorial and check what buttons I'm supposed to press. Not fun :(

Also, blocking feels a bit weird to me. Does it really happen only when you're being attacked?

Still, the game looks gorgeous, never denied that. But as of right now, as someone who really wants to get into this game, it is not a warm welcome.

Dartastic

Just got back from the bar, waiting for the XBLA version to drop...

This thread makes me so happy.
I'm watching that toast stream. Mike Z is playing now. It's amazing to see them playing online, while streaming, and it looks like they're playing right next to each other. No lag. Congratulations man. I'm so hype to buy this tomorrow. =)

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Just finish the story mode, so none of the endings are real? Since you can't have everyone getting the skull heart and stuff =/.

GOOD TO HEAR. SHE'S GONNA BE MY MEW WHEN IT COMES OUT TOMORROW ON 360.

Yeah and Ms.Fortune's hitbox becomes super small when she's running too. It's to the point where she can straight up run under Parasoul's Napalm Shot. I haven't even scratched the surface with what a character like Fortune is capable of when her head is off and already she seems like a super solid character. You're gonna like her.

Ravidrath

Just finish the story mode, so none of the endings are real? Since you can't have everyone getting the skull heart and stuff =/.

Yeah, we've always said this is the "non-canon" story mode.

We have plans for a giant canonical story mode, but... it's a fuckton of art. The story mode we have now is fairly short, but already has over 200 pieces of unique art, and I think we're looking at 2-3X that for the canonical one.

K.Sabot

We have plans for a giant canonical story mode, but... it's a fuckton of art. The story mode we have now is fairly short, but already has over 200 pieces of unique art, and I think we're looking at 2-3X that for the canonical one.

Damn this shit is the magnum opus of downloadable games.

I'm excited, and I hope you guys can continue what you are doing.

Thores

Ravid, speaking of Story Mode, are there any plans to fix the portraits "blinking" in between each line of dialogue? It's weird and disorienting, and detracts from an otherwise cool experience.

danmaku

Yup. I'll finish tutorials before I even try any other modes. Easy AI is handing my ass to me. (This is not a game for button-smashers)

That's what I don't like about these kind of fighters. They're never newcomer friendly. The only "fighters" I've played are Smash Bros. and DoA on PS2, and I don't feel confident at all, coming into this game. I want to like this game, and I'm gonna buy it because I wanna support the developer, but the amount of sucking I have to do before I even become decent is not encouraging.

I don't know what the deal is with these 'serious' fighters, but is it too much to ask for button icons? Especially in tutorials. LP and LK are gibberish to me, just give me a button prompt. Or, for the best of both worlds, why not put both: Perform LK ( X ) + LP ( [] ). I've had couple of times when I need to pause the tutorial and check what buttons I'm supposed to press. Not fun :(

Still, the game looks gorgeous, never denied that. But as of right now, as someone who really wants to get into this game, it is not a warm welcome.

True, but that's to be expected in more or less any competitive game. If you want to get good, you need to play and lose, especially if you don't have previous experience with similar games. Besides, I had the same impression when I tried Smash Bros (aka "wtf is happening, this game is so hard!").

Also, blocking feels a bit weird to me. Does it really happen only when you're being attacked?

If you don't have a block button (and most fighters don't have it), blocking and walking backwards are mapped to the same direction, so the game activates blocking only when it's necessary. This means you can't walk back while the opponent is attacking, but you can backdash.

Crocodile

I beat Filia's story mode but I don't see any of the story art in the "Extras" section. Do we really not get an option to see them later?

Also, I'm shocked at how MUCH BETTER the game looks in person than in any of the stream/videos I've seen. DAMN.

Ravidrath

Ravid, speaking of Story Mode, are there any plans to fix the portraits "blinking" in between each line of dialogue? It's weird and disorienting, and detracts from an otherwise cool experience.

It's on the list, but I can't say it's particularly high-priority.

I beat Filia's story mode but I don't see any of the story art in the "Extras" section. Do we really not get an option to see them later?

Not at the moment, no.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I'm the opposite. When I have buttons set, the actual button names don't register with me.

Pezking

Oh God...

Just bought the game and gave it a try.
I love the artwork and graphics. Looks really good!

I tried out story mode on "sleepwalking" (!).
Took Parasoul, and then got my ass handed to me by Ms. Fortune 10 times in a row.

Since trying out SF3 three years ago online, I know me and my friends have been living a lie since our childhood and we're all really, really bad at fighting games. We always tried to perfectly time a fireball or dragon punch, and never bothered with learning any combos - that brought us years of immensly enjoyable offline duels, but I came to understand that you can't compete with strangers like that.

Despite that, I still love fighting games and enjoy playing them offline alone or with friends, just like in our childhood in the nineties.

Right now, I seriously doubt I can do that with "Skullgirls".

Looks like I'm looking toward spending a lot of time in the training mode.

The in-game tutorials are good, right?

Esura

Banned

Oh good. A lot of these endings to the story modes are a bit darker than I anticipated. lol

Ravidrath

Oh good. A lot of these endings to the story modes are a bit darker than I anticipated. lol

Haha...

After we submitted the first drafts of the stories, our producer at Autumn sent us an e-mail that basically said "...Is Alex feeling OK?"

But, yes, these are all different ways that things go "wrong," despite having a number of overlap with the "real" events.

Esura

Banned
Haha...

After we submitted the first drafts of the stories, our producer at Autumn sent us an e-mail that basically said "...Is Alex feeling OK?"

But, yes, these are all different ways that things go "wrong," despite having a number of overlap with the "real" events.
Ah, so its kind of like the bad ends of a visual novel or a continuum shift in Blazblue. Wow, it seems like you guys have a whole lore planned out for this game.

I feel like I may be one of the few people who seems interested in the world of Skullgirls though.

Top Bottom