• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

Mike Z is giving some wonderful insight into the process of getting Skull Girls made on WSRK: http://www.twitch.tv/keits?utm_campaign=live_embed_click&utm_source=shoryuken.com
Shaowebb would love this show right now. He also confirmed that they will be patching move lists in for sure since they convinced Autumn that it was worth patching before finding out about sales. That bit about having playable software for a sales pitch is pretty important as well.

Looks like we are on our way to seeing a bigger and badder Skullgirls.

d0c_zaius

It's a valid complaint regardless of how silly anyone in here thinks it is. Doesn't mean the game is shit, but you don't release a fighting game without an in-game move list and expect not to receive flak.

I like Mike Z and admire his passion for the genre as well as the fact that he wants to make the game easier to understand with some kick ass tutorials. Whether I like the game or not, that right there is enough to motivate me to support him by picking up SG.

With that said, if you want to make the game easier for newer players to understand you absolutely have to include a move list from the start.

edit: Should mention that I'd like to support the team at Reverge for what they're trying to accomplish, not just Mike Z.

Its a valid complaint, but a minor one when compared to the thought and effort put into more deserving areas. A move list takes little research (especially when there is one made already on the skullgirls site).

Training that actually trains you to be good at fighting games is something you don't see in most games.

alstein

Is there a guide for basic BnB combos for the characters anywhere? I really think I need a starting point, right now I'm just flailing away and I know that isn't going to cut it.

shaowebb

Shaowebb would love this show right now. He also confirmed that they will be patching move lists in for sure since they convinced Autumn that it was worth patching before finding out about sales. That bit about having playable software for a sales pitch is pretty important as well.

Looks like we are on our way to seeing a bigger and badder Skullgirls.

*is watching now *
:D

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Spent a few hours with Skullgirls tonight and absolutely LOVED IT. Character movement felt "off" at first, then I got used to things and was having a blast. The game play feels super-accessible; I was able to do 12-16+ hit combos pretty quickly after messing around for a bit. The tutorial mode also really does do a good job of teaching the basics and gives some nice examples of combos.

My jaw also hit the floor when I saw the game running in 1080P on my TV. It looks stunning.

1. How is the netplay?

2. How is Parasoul? Noob friendly?

Net play is easily on par with BlazBlue. Very impressive.

Everyone feels pretty easy to pick up and play, IMO. So far I like Filia and Parasoul the best.

Is there a guide for basic BnB combos for the characters anywhere? I really think I need a starting point, right now I'm just flailing away and I know that isn't going to cut it.

I've only played the demo, but basically you can get good damage from a jump in -> chain into launch -> OTG into a chain ending in a special

With Filia I got this worked out although the timing is pretty finicky

j MP ->cr LP -> cr MP (launcher) -> jHK (has to be timed properly) -> cr LK -> st MK -> st HP (launcher) -> j MP xx HK Roll | air super -> HP DP

frequency

So what's the verdict on Story Mode?

That's all I would really get the game for - I'm not interested in competitive games.

The game looks so pretty and I want it, but not if the only value is in multiplayer.

Yes. I play fighting games almost solely for single player.

So what's the verdict on Story Mode?

That's all I would really get the game for - I'm not interested in competitive games.

The game looks so pretty and I want it, but not if the only value is in multiplayer.

Yes. I play fighting games almost solely for single player.

Though I haven't tried it yet, you could probably have some fun and frustrating times with arcade mode, based on what I've seen from the story mode ai.

I like the story mode. It's short, but fun. It helps flesh out everyone's personality, which I think is one of the most important aspects of enjoying a fighter, liking the characters. In that regard, for me, the story mode is good.

LakeEarth

Any story will be better than SFxT storyline.

There's a meterorite with a box inside. Your team goes there. It opens. Nothing of significance happens.

shaowebb

Just finished listening to the wake up Shoryuken interview on Skullgirls and hearing how he went from creation, to how to pitch it, to a DP from Filia selling the game to a publisher...it was pretty incredible. It gave me a lot of insight into some things I should give more attention to in my own career in the games industry as someday I want to pitch and work on my own stuff too. So much stuff was said and all of it absolutely wonderful to hear about. Lots of insight as to how things get made or DONT get made. The latter being the biggest thing I think folks should pay attention to.

Convinces me of one thing...I like fighters and I like animation, but to make something really good I should play to my strengths and hookup with people able to cover my weak points. If I do a fighter I need to get better players involved than myself and I need to hopefully get them involved on the coding end of things to make stuff easier. Also, if I want to make a game I shouldn't be afraid to do something visually different that is my own otherwise I risk coming off too similar to things to draw any real interest from publishers sicne there might not be enough uniqueness to draw them in.

God I hope to do just what Reverge Labs has done with various ideas of my own someday. Should I ever get the chance at least I know what board to hit up for players.

tearsofash

Painwheel for life.

Also, I love the various references. Like the bullet bill, genesis pad, and "you're tearing me apart" to the tune of The Room.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
The final boss is most of the times (IMO) SNK cheap, and that's not a compliment :mad:

(Really enjoying the game so far, anyway)

Beats

I made a video of the combo I posted earlier for Filia in the corner if anyone wants to try it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDwsPLWH6ig

It's been pretty fun trying to get around the infinite prevention system, and online has been pretty smooth so far.

edit: also have one for Ms. Fortune on another video that works anywhere.

Esura

Banned
I love this game so far. Awesome tracks, beautiful animations, easy to get into gameplay, all of that. This game really should put Reverge on the map. Not to rag on SFxT or anything, but I prefer this much more to it.

*Filia story mode ending spoilers*

She is going to end up as a Skullgirl anyways despite her imo very pure wish? That...sucks.

Tizoc

How much space on the HDD does Skullgirls take? I know the install file is 1.2 GB but I find it hard to believe that THAT'S it's actual size.

Currently at work and I forgot my friggin' cellphone at home =_=, but once I get back Skullgirls all night baby~

d0c_zaius

After messing around with it for a couple of hours now, I'm really impressed. I've had some crazy matches, and have become familiar with the pace of the game...amazing fun. It feels very old school and a complete contrast to some mainstream popular fighting games.

I hope it gets recognition from fighting game fans and fans of just great products, especially for the 15$. At first I wasn't into some things about the art syle, but the game is just well thought out and charming in so many ways that it all grew on me.

For all the wait, I'm happy it turned out well. This is all of course just messing with Peacock and Cerebella, aka Team Fun

Top Bottom