• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

Spent the whole morning getting down a Valentine bnb (which will be rendered useless in a weeks time if not already) and I can't even get into a match to use it :(

I... will likely throw Reverge some dollars.

Should I be? No. Can I afford it? Not really.

But damn do you guys deserve my support. I'll probably play this for a week and be done with it.

GooeyHeat

For the people with long load times on 360, do you have hard drives? Because I just have the 4gb memory, and was wondering if that caused it.

AEREC

Bought the XBLA version this morning and love the game...the tutorials are great and explain so much stuff that should have been in the SSF4/SFxT tutorials.

I may have to double dip on the PS3 version soon just to support this game...but I really would not touch it since I lack a stick on the PS3 (been meaning to get one though).

For the people with long load times on 360, do you have hard drives? Because I just have the 4gb memory, and was wondering if that caused it.

Got a 250GB HDD and load times are a bit long for my liking. It also drives me nuts how I keep inadvertently selecting Exit Game when I just want to go back to the main screen only to realize it actually means Exit the enitre game and go back to dashboard.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Loading times seemed kinda long (200+ GB drive, S-model console), but only when initially booting the game, really. Things have been running smoothly for me in-game. I don't know how it compares to PS3.

Got a 250GB HDD and load times are a bit long for my liking. It also drives me nuts how I keep inadvertently selecting Exit Game when I just want to go back to the main screen only to realize it actually means Exit the enitre game and go back to dashboard.
Yeah, this one got me the first time as well. It should really be labeled "Return to Xbox Dashboard" or something just to avoid ambiguity.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Bought it this morning. Had just enough time to play before going to work.

The OST >>>>>>>>>>> *

Finished up the tutorials. I'm starting to realize marvel taught me some really bad habits. I had to spend a little time learning how to tech grabs. >.> No spamming H / j.h all day anymore. It's going to take some time getting used to, for certain.

I can't dp to save myself for some reason. o_O bah. I'll get back to it later.

Filia...omg. Baby Mags without the projectiles and M. Rage hair. She has ridiculous overheads. I don't understand. lmao. Stupid fast too.

Thank god Mike didn't give Peacock Cable's dp...

Valentine is hella fun to play.

Running Filia, Peacock, Valentine.

Started a couple of matches in Story. The AI really loves to block. I guess that's to get you to learn how to use mixups properly.

-The text in tutorial mode is def hard to see. The characters either cover it up, or it blends way to well with the white walls.

That's about my only gripe atm.

20gb drive from 2006 with a 16gb USB stick to supplement. As I stated on the previous page:

Loading from the USB stick:
  • During the intro, 3-4 second pauses between character "profiles"
  • 15 second load times for most menus, 20-30 second load times to get in to actual matches
  • Character art takes a second or two to load during actual fights if I switch characters
  • Credits scroll hitches up every time a new piece of art loads in

Loading from the HDD:
  • During the intro, 1-2 second pauses between character "profiles"
  • 5-7 second load times for menus, 10-15 second load times for actual matches
  • Seeing character art load in mid-fight still happens, but with way less frequency

The Xbox itself is a original style Xbox, sent from Microsoft in 2007 or 2008. It is my third console, the previous two red ringed.

depths20XX

Tried the demo last night. Got damn that character select music is good.

Liked the bit of the tutorial they let you play.
None of the characters really appeal to me but I'll probably end up buying.

robot

Didn't scroll though too many pages here, but is anyone else seeing hit boxes in arcade mode when assists come in? Happened a few times on the CPU side.

Ms. Fortune can combo off of her fiber uppercut. It's invincible.

Ms. Fortune can probably do a full combo off of her Fiber Uppercut as an Alpha Counter. Don't know why this hasn't occurred to me until this point.

HyperHip

Double-dipped and bought both versions. Wanted to try online this morning bit so it wasn't up, so I couldn't try out the netplay :(. Feel free to add me GAF my PSN is INFAMESS, and my XBL is m0st infamous.

DonMigs85

I tried the XBLA demo and my characters frequently turn into hitboxes. Never noticed this in my PS3 version. Maybe it's because of my slow 20GB HDD?

AEREC

Didn't scroll though too many pages here, but is anyone else seeing hit boxes in arcade mode when assists come in? Happened a few times on the CPU side.

In training mode when I tagged in Valentine, her hitboxes would appear for a split second. But it did not do that for any other character I tagged in.

frequency

So reading about how hard this is even for experienced players is a real turn off.
Also, hearing about how short story mode is and how cheap the AI can be.

I thought one of the selling points was how this was supposed to be friendly to newbies. :(

I guess I'm just not the audience for this game. That makes me a bit sad. I absolutely love the look and music and I am totally interested in the world. I understand the need to focus on making it a solid competitive experience first though. That would be priority for the game (and possibly series?) to have legs.

I guess I'll check in on this again whenever the canon story gets added.

I tried the 360 version for comparison and there is definitely an increase in loading. The PS3 version is faster than the 360 version for sure in that department, but they feel just about equal outside of DHC shenanigans while fighting. The 360 controller may feel friendlier for Parasoul's charge moves, but maybe it's just me waking up and being familiar with them.

I also noticed that even the 360 menu(home button) pops up noticeably slower while playing the game. Yeah, Skullgirls is pushing the 360 to it's limits. I can see why THCs(team hyper combos) couldn't make it into the product on the HD consoles. This almost feels like a next gen fighter in that regard.
Yeah, this one got me the first time as well. It should really be labeled "Return to Xbox Dashboard" or something just to avoid ambiguity.
I made the same mistake haha...
20gb drive from 2006 with a 16gb USB stick to supplement. As I stated on the previous page:

Loading from the USB stick:
  • During the intro, 3-4 second pauses between character "profiles"
  • 15 second load times for most menus, 20-30 second load times to get in to actual matches
  • Character art takes a second or two to load during actual fights if I switch characters

Loading from the HDD:
  • During the intro, 1-2 second pauses between character "profiles"
  • 5-7 second load times for menus, 10-15 second load times for actual matches
  • Seeing character art load in mid-fight still happens, but with way less frequency

The Xbox itself is a original style Xbox, sent from Microsoft in 2007 or 2008. It is my third console, the previous two red ringed.
My Xbox is from the year 2010 iirc, but I didn't experience anything longer than maybe seven seconds? I certainly didn't experience any pauses between character profiles.
Hitboxes have appeared a few times here and there on the PS3 version. I chalk it up to stuff they couldn't clean/fix completely before shipping. It only appears for a split second so it's nothing to go crazy about imo. Ms.Fortune trolls by doing it the most. :p

I honestly don't understand complaints about the difficulty of the AI. I've ran through story mode once so far as solo-Peacock on normal and had to retry all of one time.

Edit : Eh, new post.

It's not hard at all. This is by far the quickest I've ever caught onto a fighting game and I'm pretty middling at them.

You've tried the demo right?

remz

I honestly don't understand complaints about the difficulty of the AI. I've ran through story mode once so far as solo-Peacock on normal and had to retry all of one time.

the AI isn't so much hard as it is more realistic then most others, I think. It actually attacks and it's aggression is kinda human like, as opposed to the SF ai which stands around a lot then rushes for 3 secs, then stands.

alstein

So reading about how hard this is even for experienced players is a real turn off.

I thought one of the selling points was how this was supposed to be friendly to newbies. :(

I guess I'm just not the audience for this game. That makes me a bit sad. I absolutely love the look and music and I am totally interested in the world. I understand the need to focus on making it a solid competitive experience first though. That would be priority for the game (and possibly series?) to have legs.

I think much of the hard for experienced players is the fact they don't have any old character to fall back on. I noticed this- new IPs tend to get viewed as harder then old IPs. This is a big reason many folks consider VF a hard game- they don't have Kazuya, Paul, Jin, or Law to fall back on, and all those "new" characters seem alien. That makes things seem harder then they are.

In some sense, vets finding it hard means they have less of an advantage coming in.

You can turn yourself into becoming a decent player- that's pretty how much 99% of your pot monsters start.

If anything , making the game too hard would kill the game- games succeed or fail commercially not on the tourney winners, but the scrubs. This game has plenty to offer if you're not a good player.

Personally, if this game didn't have all that stuff, I probably wouldn't have bought it, because I knew coming into this game, I am going way, way, way out of my element for the style I'm best at.

Played a twenty match set this morning and went from laughing at the silly stuff to rage over being unable to do anything due to rushdown. Didn't know about Alpha Counters.
I'm trying to learn this game via solo characters first before going into teams though.

In general, Zoning characters have always destroyed AI opponents. I don't know if that's how you played, but that would be my assumption.

Regarding hitboxes : It's a streaming issue and the frequency of which you see them is related to how fast your specific Harddrive is.

Regarding load times :
MikeZ said:
Yeah, PS3 is better. >.< The extra layer of security opening files on the 360 really screws with how we did things. We're working on batching files in a patch, which will help a lot. It's under the maximum time allowed, though, haha.
We actually sped it up quite a bit, it used to be almost double what it is now. Go figure.

360 load times might also be related to what you have the game on. Obviously a USB flash drive is a hella bad idea, but even the internal 4GB flash memory of some 360s is apparently lots slower for reading than an actual hard disk. Who knew?

The one match I did retry was Vs. the Double mirror match. The AI using Peacock totalllyy changed the way I approached her game and was an absolute blast to fight. Frankly I'm really enjoying the fact that the AI is competent enough to actually play the characters in a way that people can learn something from them.

Peacock v. Peacock is just a fantastic match up, rarely have I ever enjoyed playing against a CPU more than in that instance.

Tried online, but was too laggy. I guess part of the problem is that not many people bought it but still, it sucks.

Did you change your GGPO frame delay to match the recommended setting the game gives you based on ping? Really I've had nothing but positive experiences with the game and I've run up against people rocking 150+ms (had to bump it to frame delay 6 for that). Did you record the ping of the people you were playing against?

Really this is probably the best online I've come across in a fighting game since BlazBlue.

Tizoc

Am I the only who can get Cerebella's QCF and QCB command throws 100% of the time coming out as HCF or HCB+(LP+LK)?
If I do the normal motion they don't come out @_@

Alright peoples, HIT ME WITH THE CEREBELLA COMBOS!

Ties

Banned
Okay, the netcode is pretty damn good. Distance doesn't matter, I've been having smooth connections with the East Coast with my delay set to 8. This netcode is so good. I've been running Parasoul as my solo main and I haven't been experimenting with any other characters, but I'm itching to learn Double. She's such a grotesque mess, I love it.

Only have touched the tutorial mode, but fuck is the soundtrack really amazing. Loved Yamane's work in the Castlevania series, great work here. I hope there's an official soundtrack for the game coming.

Supposedly Reverge will put it out on Amazon mp3

NEO0MJ

Did you change your GGPO frame delay to match the recommended setting the game gives you based on ping? Really I've had nothing but positive experiences with the game and I've run up against people rocking 150+ms (had to bump it to frame delay 6 for that). Did you record the ping of the people you were playing against?

Gonna try changing it. But the ping of most people I see is 200+.

Ties

Banned
I always hear they're a shitty community for actually learning a game.
They're a mixed bag based on my experience.

There are some really shitty online players trying to provide their own insightful feedback and matchup experience, but there are some legitimately great players on there. They are generally a good source for BnBs though, so if you're looking for a BnB to run then I'd give that place a look.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

See, this entire line of thinking seems to be rooted in a false assumption, and it bothers me no matter how many times it comes up. It's impossible for a fighting game to be "easy" or "difficult" based on the mechanics alone. The aspects of the game itself determine how "simple" or "complex" it can be, but difficulty is decided by the human competition. If you're playing against someone who is really good and experienced at the game in question, then you're going to have a hard time whether you're playing Skullgirls or Smash Bros. Conversely, Major League Baseball and little league may be playing the same "game," but it should be obvious why the former is exponentially more difficult.

So, you'd probably enjoy Skullgirls (and any fighter) against competition on your level, whether it be local players, GAF scrubs, or whomever. If I had to guess, I'd say the ratio of "hardcore" online players are going to be higher in this game than usual due to its relative niche and the nature of its development/promotion, but you never know.

Double-dipped and bought both versions. Wanted to try online this morning bit so it wasn't up, so I couldn't try out the netplay :(. Feel free to add me GAF my PSN is INFAMESS, and my XBL is m0st infamous.
Do I know you from somewhere? That name looks familiar.

sinky72

I've rarely played a fighting game (not for the point of trying) but probably because I couldn't justify paying out for a stick. Anyway, this game looks pretty fun so my question is, is it worth buying to use with only a pad and which pad is recommended to play it on (360 or PS3)
Thanks

Played the demo yesterday. Loved what I played of it so far and I'm looking forward to digging in. Still really want to try out Parasoul but Fillia and Cerebella felt really good.

Couldn't grab the full version though since I'm still waiting on my PSN code from Best Buy. :(

Top Bottom