• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

iFV5kxqA153oz.gif

Dachande

Yup. I'll finish tutorials before I even try any other modes. Easy AI is handing my ass to me. (This is not a game for button-smashers)

That's what I don't like about these kind of fighters. They're never newcomer friendly. The only "fighters" I've played are Smash Bros. and DoA on PS2, and I don't feel confident at all, coming into this game. I want to like this game, and I'm gonna buy it because I wanna support the developer, but the amount of sucking I have to do before I even become decent is not encouraging.

I don't know what the deal is with these 'serious' fighters, but is it too much to ask for button icons? Especially in tutorials. LP and LK are gibberish to me, just give me a button prompt. Or, for the best of both worlds, why not put both: Perform LK ( X ) + LP ( [] ). I've had couple of times when I need to pause the tutorial and check what buttons I'm supposed to press. Not fun :(

Also, blocking feels a bit weird to me. Does it really happen only when you're being attacked?

Still, the game looks gorgeous, never denied that. But as of right now, as someone who really wants to get into this game, it is not a warm welcome.

This is a really interesting post - a person that is truly a beginner at fighters and the kind of things they need. The thing about blocking is especially funny/interesting because it's so second nature to me, but it makes sense that if Smash Bros and 3D fighters like DOA are your previous experience that that's what you expect. I'm the same as Hitokage, I'd be really pissed if it only showed the button icons rather than the attack labels as that's the exact opposite of what I need when following instructions, but I see your point as well.

Sorry, I don't really have any answers, I just thought it was worth pointing out. Most of us are perhaps so familiar with fighting games in general that sometimes we can't see the wood for the trees...

Pezking

That's what I don't like about these kind of fighters. They're never newcomer friendly. The only "fighters" I've played are Smash Bros. and DoA on PS2, and I don't feel confident at all, coming into this game. I want to like this game, and I'm gonna buy it because I wanna support the developer, but the amount of sucking I have to do before I even become decent is not encouraging.

I've played every "Street Fighter" since my Super Nintendo days, and almost everything SNK put out since then. I love fighting games, mainly for their focus on great character designs. I know that I'm not very good at them - but despite that, I always managed to get a lot of fun out of them instantly.

"Skullgirls" is the first fighter which constantly destroys me even on the lowest difficulty.

I downloaded Skullgirls on the Xbox now too. On the subject of difficulty... I did not find it hard at all in ridiculous mode(I'm pretty sure I picked ridiculous). The CPU was smart enough to do some basic 14 hit combos and it blocked competently(not brokenly).

The real thing that blew my mind was the defense tutorial. I'd constantly let go of the stick/d-pad after I block the first mixup several times even though I knew there were more incoming. Mike Z said something so deep on the WakeupSRK podcast that it blew mind my mind too. He said people would let go of the joystick even if they were high level players and that was there fundamental mistake, they get too relaxed. I never thought I'd learn something so basic and powerful early on in this game and I never thought it would be on defense since it's the one quality I stress above all else. Seriously... I play some hardcore games and I never expected to learn something so basic. Always be on guard. Never let go of that unless you are moving forward and even then... get ready to block out of dash if necessary.

I'm going to sleep now. Have a bunch of fun playing the game. It is a real gem. I expect more server overloads and hundreds of posts. We can drown Ravidrath and the rest of Reverge in our money together!
Ah, so its kind of like the bad ends of a visual novel or a continuum shift in Blazblue. Wow, it seems like you guys have a whole lore planned out for this game.

I feel like I may be one of the few people who seems interested in the world of Skullgirls though.
Dude...

DUDE

This game has had a pretty fervent following for years now. Hundreds of people have gone through the concept art like maniacs. Shoot, characters who didn't even have names got the official treatment thanks to fans(Shark Scientist in the lab background). Even background characters like Minette got the official tumblr treatment.

We're all obsessed with the gameplay right now, but things are going to get funky and creepy fast when it comes to the fans and lore.

USD

Only have touched the tutorial mode, but fuck is the soundtrack really amazing. Loved Yamane's work in the Castlevania series, great work here. I hope there's an official soundtrack for the game coming.

Torraz

How does this play with the xbox 360 controller? I'm a total newb at fighters, but I liked what I saw in the streams yesterday.

Oh, and the "tutorial to fighters as a genre" thing sounds very cool.

Blunt

Banned
Just downloaded the game off XBL and had a quick bash.

Presentation is slick as fuck and it plays mighty fine but GAT-DAIM those load times are on par with a Neo Geo CD minus the juggling monkeys to stave off boredom comas.

Was it worth the 1200 Itchy & Scratchy dollars? Abso-fucking-lutely. Buy yourself Skullgirls or go to hell.

NEO0MJ

Presentation is slick as fuck and it plays mighty fine but GAT-DAIM those load times are on par with a Neo Geo CD minus the juggling monkeys to stave off boredom comas.

Hey, the waddling bomb is more entertaining than any monkey!
got a youtube link to it?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I just completed the tutorials. Quick constructive criticism:

- The text is hard to read. White-on-white + the fact that the characters can cover it up is a little problematic. Had to move around on a few of the later ones just so I could read the whole thing.
- In the later lessons, sometimes you are asked to perform a special move without providing the command for it (unless I overlooked it in my haste to get through it all).
- This one is subjective, but in general, I'd say the instructional content is satisfactory (really is a lot better than most fighting games I've played in that regard), but it's almost all tactics (how) and virtually no strategy (why). Maybe I was expecting too much, but I figured there would have been something in the way of "gameplan," "match-ups," "team synergy," and that kind of thing. But maybe that's going too far beyond the call of duty. I do think DHCs and alpha counters (and any other core gameplay components that I might not be aware of) should be explained somewhere, though.
- Cute achievement name. :p

I'm going to hop online for a little and mash buttons. Catch me on XBL (Sixfortyfive) for the next hour or so if any of you guys want some games.

EDIT: Or not, since I'm getting that "waiting to validate" message too.

Mognet

I'm stuck playing the US demo while waiting for the EU release. I'm hoping the EU PS store will get it tonight but it's highly doubtful. ):

N4Us

Man I've found some insane Painwheel combos after only ten minutes training. This game.

Guess I gotta wait for online to work...

Tizoc

I'm stuck playing the US demo while waiting for the EU release. I'm hoping the EU PS store will get it tonight but it's highly doubtful. ):

Europe is getting it weeks later mate. You're better off getting it off US PSN:
Bestbuy.com

Toski

After playing the demo on PS3 and the full version on 360, this game is very BlazBlueish in the hitstun and "feel" of the game. Almost everyone compared it to Marvel, but this game is closer to GG/BB with tag & assists than Marvel. It plays like COTA/MSH, GG/BB, and MvC2 rolled into one.

Mognet

Europe is getting it weeks later mate. You're better off getting it off US PSN:
Bestbuy.com

Yeah, sad. I appreciate the link but I think I'll just wait until it's released, luckily Cerebella is on the demo so I can practice using her while I wait.

I must be the only one encountering this issue since I've heard no mention of it anywhere in this thread. I seem to be experiencing an odd glitch online where the game will start outputting two audio lines at the same during moves. So if I'm doing for a super for example the audio will just simultaneously give me two different super quotes. It's a bit annoying frankly but it certainly hasn't detracted greatly from my experience.

Anyone else having issues similar to this? Should I reinstall the game to fix?

TheOGB

Banned
Bought and installed, had a chance to try a quick combo with Fillia before I left

hSv7l.gif
hSv7l.gif
hSv7l.gif
GOD, WHY DOES TODAY HAVE TO BE A LONG DAY?!
hSv7l.gif
hSv7l.gif
hSv7l.gif

Silver_key

Neo Member
I played all of 4 minutes of the game but I am very interested in it and its success. Visible hitboxes in training mode are awesome.

What's the verdict, double dippers?

absolutely no difference in either version, played about 5 online games on my roommates 360 version and about 10 on my ps3 version, both perfectly smooth and no frame rate drops online or off.

It's down to where your friends are in where you have a stick imo.

Blunt

Banned
I've just convinced a couple of friends and bullied a younger sibling into purchases.

Enjoy the blood money, Reverge Labs.

Getting weird performance problems on Xbox. Loading off a USB Stick, the game literally takes almost 30 seconds to get in to a match. When I switch characters, some of their animation will be replaced with green hitbox squares for a couple seconds while it loads in all of their data.

Copying the game from the USB Stick to my ancient 20gb HDD reduces these problems a little bit (halves loading times, hitbox squares don't appear as often) but they're still present.

alstein

The load times are a bit long, but not PS1-era bad.

PC version would solve this I think- much more RAM. This game belongs on PC not console.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Gah! I can't beat Marie's final form on Easy!!!

I beat her in one try on normal :D yay

Wait you guys saying the game is taking long to load... it's loading really fast for me o.o

*waiting for a tier 7 opponent*

10 hours later

*still waiting*
GAH I know its 6am on the west coast BUT SOMEONE MUST BE PLAYING!

I don't believe I got called into work this morning. I had took the day off and everything too. But it'll all be worth it once I get home and start playing. I've already downloaded it from work so all I have to do is start playing. So, I hope everybody is enjoying the game. SKULLGIRLS-GAF!!!

Didn't play much last night, haven't really been able to play anything for almost a month between work and sleep, but man the music is insanely good in this game :p

Top Bottom