• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

sephi22

LMAO Peacock vs Ms. Fortune
Peacock: A putty tat!
Ms. Fortune: Sufferin' Succotash

Also lost it at 'A grill of fate is yearning'

OMG Peacock is so fun. If you do the heavy 'Shadow of Impending Doom' and hold the button, and if you end up with the Steamroller, Avery goes into Dio's whole animation, complete with WRYYY XD

SHAZOOM

Is there no movelist? I looked and didn't find one during the pause menus/tutorials.

Debating whether to go PSN or XBLA on this (downloaded the 360 trial). If every motion is just QCF/DP motions, I can't see why not going the with 360 pad will hurt. Was fine for doing QCF motions, and the way DPs are read in the game register great on the 360 pad.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
OMG Peacock is so fun. If you do the heavy 'Shadow of Impending Doom' and hold the button, and if you end up with the Steamroller, Avery goes into Dio's whole animation, complete with WRYYY XD

Why did you have to post this? Why?

I really, really can't afford to shell out $15 right now. But between having a shitload of fun with the demo, and reading that post, I think I'm about to buy the damn game...D:

SHAZOOM

I'm no expert, but I think that Cerebella just isn't really much of a cross-up-oriented character.

She's already basically the most versatile grappler in any game - how much more does she need?

I really like her move set. Very Potmekin meets Goro Daimon/Abel. cr.MK into DP Throw all day long.

Tobe

THIS GAME JUST HNNNNNG!!!!! WHY YOU SO GODLIKE!!! loving filia tho if she had an 8 way air dash then it wouldve been just <3 <3 <3 <3 <3.

anybody want some matches to test out the netcode?
xbl: Tobe101

edit: really liked that they took account for south american users in the online menu :)

sephi22

For anyone having trouble with the final boss, Peacock vs her is a favorable matchup in Peacock's favor.

For the first two forms, just spam her with qcf+HP,HP,HP cancelled into Argus Agony when you have meter. For the third form, just keep summoning heavy Shadows of Impending Doom while blocking her attacks. The heavy version tracks.

Why did you have to post this? Why?

I really, really can't afford to shell out $15 right now. But between having a shitload of fun with the demo, and reading that post, I think I'm about to buy the damn game...D:

Do it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik0kl6xfLnE

shaowebb

I predict Miss Fortune's win quote and pose will generate the greatest amount of salt ever.

"I win! I win! IwinIwin IIIII WIN! *bats head around like ball of yarn*

Aw...someone is adorable <3
*points at victorious kitty*
Its you!

For anyone having trouble with the final boss, Peacock vs her is a favorable matchup in Peacock's favor.

For the first two forms, just spam her with qcf+HP,HP,HP cancelled into Argus Agony when you have meter. For the third form, just keep summoning heavy Shadows of Impending Doom while blocking her attacks. The heavy version tracks.

Do it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik0kl6xfLnE

Lol. I did the exact same thing. Stay free Skullgirl. I got to final form with like 2/3rds health since all she'd done is a little chip and a few lucky shots till then. God forget Cable. Peacock way exceeds what I was hoping for out of her which was a cartoony sort of substitute for Cable in my life. Man she is WAY better than Cable IMO. No joke. Take her on via Ridiculous setting and see how harsh it gets. Ikaruga was easier.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I should have something pretty aight for you guys on Friday. :D

Then again, it could be pretty terrible, according to that one guy.

Getting this today even though my shittiness at fighters is likely unmatched. Maybe I will get into it though and get better at it than I am at other fighters.

Skidd

Holy crap, I actually beat the AI on easy. :>

But after that the AI proceeds to wipe the floor with me for three consecutive matches and I decide to put down my controller.

I guess I'm slowly getting there, still can't perform Merry-Go-Rilla properly for the fourth turorial in the demo. I seriously don't have any idea what I'm doing wrong.

Item Box

Finally unlocked the 3rd palette for Peacock, apparently you have to win a certain number of ranked(?) games to get it.

Anyone know how to get the 4th color?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Day 1 Cerebella annoyance. Playing my friend last night and I basically couldn't punish like.... anything she did. He would just cancel into that gun punch or grab me.

It helped that I already understand the concepts presented. I mashed through some of the explanations. But I wish SF4 had this kind of tutorial. Would've saved me a lot of time.

It teaches you about high-low mixups and how to defend and use them. Explains block stun and recovery and when/how to punish people for using "unsafe" moves. How to hit-confirm (which I fully understand but seldom can implement on reaction). How to tech throws(kinda tough in this game). More that I'm sure is escaping me.

Anyway, it doesn't presume you're a hardening fighting game fan. It really does a good job explaining the basics. It's kinda hard I guess. But if you understand the basics you understand why you're getting beat.
Thanks for that, I'm not a 100% newby but I play like most fighting game players do, up to a level, very basic moves because after that I do not understand when or why you would use other moves or how to use them properly.
I have a fight stick for my 360, so the controller should not be the problem.

Any more insights from people about the learning processes in this game?

ckohler

I can't play these games but I do enjoy watching, especially this with all it's crazy slick animation. However, nobody on twitch.tv ever plays Peacock. She's avoided like the plague which sucks because she's clearly one of the most fun to watch.

Tobe

8 man ranbat should be good i think, im doing a google doc, so anybody who wants in tell me. as for rules, single game, BO3, BO5 what do you prefer? also how about 7:00 pm EST

XBL:
El Sloth
Tobe1
Judderman
SolarPowered

edit: quote for the spreadsheet link

ok we are missing out 4 more guys.

rules are 1 set, 3 out of 5. damage and time set to default.
winner gets a point, losers dont. since we dont have lobbies you may report the outcome of the matches in the thread or just update them in the spreadsheet. i will do a a random order for ppl to play, since its a ranbat everybody gets to play everybody.

ok ppl the game is out already, who wants in. we dont necessarily need 8, but 6 should be the minimum.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Maaaaan. I lost it when I fought Peacock in the demo and she totally zoned me the fuck out. The AI in this game is absolutely GODLY. It's seriously what I've always wanted from a fighter's AI.

Damn money problems. The way things are going, I won't be able to justify buying the game for at least a month, maybe longer. =/

SupaNaab

Kinda surprised how necessary momentum is for Painwheel's combos. If you're not holding a certain direction to cancel fly into a normal you will drop your combos.

Esura

Banned
Dude...

DUDE

This game has had a pretty fervent following for years now. Hundreds of people have gone through the concept art like maniacs. Shoot, characters who didn't even have names got the official treatment thanks to fans(Shark Scientist in the lab background). Even background characters like Minette got the official tumblr treatment.

We're all obsessed with the gameplay right now, but things are going to get funky and creepy fast when it comes to the fans and lore.

LOL

Whats up with people calling Valentine ugly? All she got is that scar on her lip.

V_Arnold

The online is almost flawless. Just a tiny bit different from offline training, even with 30-40 ms delay, but still: simply amazing.

I have trouble utilizing Parasoul's qcb+k mines, and I keep messing up the jumpin BnB (j.hp/hk, lp,mp,hp->j.lp,j.hp->j.Hk->lp,mk->hyper) online for some reason... regardless, the game exceeds all my expectations.

The only thing that is a slight showstopper (literally) is the loading time :(

El Sloth

Banned
*fill screen with shit courtesy of Peacock*
p9j2pl.png

*meet another Peacock*
ygi5Kl.jpg

Ravidrath

Asked about the loading times, since so many people have brought them up.

This caught us a little off-guard, because technically it's not a bug, so it wasn't really flagged by QA.

They weren't this bad during development, and only appeared when we packaged and encrypted the files at the very end. Basically, the way we access data doesn't work that well with Microsoft's package format, it turns out, and changing the way you access data at the last minute isn't really feasible and incredibly risky, since it has the potential to break every single aspect of the entire game.

I think addressing this is going to be one of our priority fixes for the first patch, along with the command list. But it depends on how long it'll take to change our data access routines and see how that affects the load times, etc.

shaowebb

This game is so good! I'm loving the Peacock stories about being zoned out lol. Its why I love her. Full lockdown assault baby. I get the feeling if she's being avoided like the plague online its because of people tired of keep away due to SFxT time out abusers. People wanna get in there...NOT ME! :D
Peacock 4 life.
Played the demo. Definitely not a game for me.

Lol. Yeah no infinites, no loops, and no unblockables = no Beard it seems.

FSLink

Banned
Asked about the loading times, since so many people have brought them up.

This caught us a little off-guard, because technically it's not a bug, so it wasn't really flagged by QA.

They weren't this bad during development, and only appeared when we packaged and encrypted the files at the very end. Basically, the way we access data doesn't work that well with Microsoft's package format, it turns out, and changing the way you access data at the last minute isn't really feasible and incredibly risky, since it has the potential to break every single aspect of the entire game.

I think addressing this is going to be one of our priority fixes for the first patch, along with the command list. But it depends on how long it'll take to change our data access routines and see how that affects the load times, etc.
Ahhh, that explains it. Was wondering why the loading times felt so much longer on the 360 version than my copy on the PS3. The opening video sometimes lags a bit too on the 360 one as well. EDIT: Third time playing the video and it's REALLY slow, some of the transitions to the other characters in the opening video take ages to load.

shaowebb

Also not a lot of characters to constantly change to.

Yeah since Ultimate hit every time I pop by the Marvel thread God's Beard has had a new team in the works each time. Its all good though. He's gotten some pretty cool stuff with all the exploitable stuff in the game he's combined together.

To each their own. Me I'm super pumped for Skullgirls! So much to do in this game with the cast it released with. Its crazy that with only 8 cast they can all be so insanely good that I can't get enough. So many tools and options to use. They really did stick to that mentality that they felt every character should have some of everything and shouldn't be made without certain options for any situation. Wish other fighters did that along with all the zero loops, infinites and unblockables. Game feels awesome!

Top Bottom