• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

Lothars

Just been thinking about something. Since MikeZ had to convince autumgames to patch in the movelist regardless of sales numbers does that mean if it doesnt hit the numbers they want we won't see any further patches or updates?

Correct me if I'm being ignorant but it's just something that passed my mind.
I would hope it reaches the sales numbers but if it doesn't than yeah I would agree it's possible we might not see the patches or updates.

TGMIII

Block and J.HP. I did Cerebella vs Marie on the first try.

Once she's in mode 2, she can'd send her shadow at you if you carry on hitting her.

I'm on insane. I can always get her to stage 3 but once shes there it's just a constant shitstorm of skulls and I just get chipped to death. Anytime I try to just get in something slaps me back. I'm sure I'll find something eventually though.

And yeah regarding sales numbers, I really hope it does sell well but I honestly have my doubts. I'd happily take to be proven wrong though.

K701

Banned
Oh, huh - I've seen it happen rarely on PS3 during dev, but I don't think I've seen it on the retail release yet.

Does it really happen for you that often? It almost makes me wonder if your HDD is dying or something, because we've definitely had devkits with worn-out HDDs that had that problem show up more often.

Happens all the time. I use peacock and fillia and see it even if my opponent only has one character. Once i get back home ill delete some shit and re download the game again.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Its a likely possibility. We might get some fixes/balancing when Squiggly and Umbrella come out. I think everything after that would be based on sales

Aside from attempts to optimize loading and data streaming issues, I do wonder if they'll have the resources to deal with the battle rooms and spectator support in those updates.

All the chat over the move list aside, lack of rooms is the biggest deal right now that could hurt the game long term.

I dont mean to offend, but when you pay $15 for a game that has a s much as it has solely because the devs gave up a lot of their personal time in order to give it to you, I consider you lucky, yes.

Go ask Capcom what you can get for $15

I would again disagree. They offer a certain amount of features for a price and I decide whether that's worth it for me personally or not. If it is I buy it. Simple as that. No luck involved. If it considerably exceeds my expectations I will definitely consider supporting this dev in their future games or upcoming DLC. But it's just a business transaction. This idea that we somehow have to be thankful for people putting up a great product is very weird to me. If I deem it good enough I'll pay for it, simple as that.

Now what I do consider myself lucky about is that a dev of the game is openly posting on a forum I frequently visit. In this luck actually played a part, since he could easily have been a member of another board. Of course it's also good for them, since without this thread I wouldn't know about the game at all.

PS: Capcom isn't getting my $15 either.

El Sloth

Banned
I wonder how the conversation will shift once the patches containing all the missing features are released.

Why do you continue to use hitbox viewing as an example? Because it shouldn't be a priority? Because other games don't have it? It's an awesome feature that will help people understand the game/moves better...what the fuck?

Yo, Real Talk™, if I have to choose between looking moves up online or lookin up hitboxes I will choose moves everytime. You know what else would be rad? In-game chart of frame data.

#TeamHitboxes

DR2K

Banned
Wow some of you are making it sound like they're hiding the movelists in the game and are going to charge you $5 in 6 months to access the list. The developers are aware it'll be patched in.

El Sloth

Banned
Honestly, no idea. Whereas most companies have multiple network guys, we have one. He's a very sharp guy, but one man can only do so much.

It's definitely on the list, but probably would not be in the first patch, which would include move lists, etc.
That's too bad since lobbies and other online features are arguably more important in the long term.

Get that poor man an intern or two.

Edit: by the way, are there any plans on expanding the tutorials in any way? Like basic bnb's for all the characters similar to a trial/challenge mode or something. I bet new players would definitely appreciate having a springboard to start from.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wow some of you are making it sound like they're hiding the movelists in the game and are going to charge you $5 in 6 months to access the list. The developers are aware it'll be patched in.
Not really. Everyone already knows it's being patched in. The issue comes with the product released on launch day not being up to snuff. A legitimate issue at that. Launch is when a game gets the most exposure, and generally the most amount of sales too. That said, when it is patched in, there should be a splash page informing the player too of what has changed and not just patch notes online somewhere, like certain progressive games are beginning to do this gen (Halo, etc.).

Also the hitboxes showing up during gameplay thing happens fairly frequently for me. I don't know what's causing it, but I've had it show up one or two times in a few games I've played in the demo.

zlatko

Banned
Honestly, no idea. Whereas most companies have multiple network guys, we have one. He's a very sharp guy, but one man can only do so much.

It's definitely on the list, but probably would not be in the first patch, which would include move lists, etc.

Nope.

As the others said, it was down for a few hours yesterday - Konami didn't upload a file that's needed to validate the game online, and once it was uploaded everything's been good.

I get first patch will be the easiest fixes to biggest issues you guys are having, but definitely know that this games long term success will ride on the online functionality.

Literally would have 3-5 more sales right now if there was spectating and lobbies for me and some buddies. GGPO on PC has it, so maybe he can look into trying to work in the same type if it makes the whole process easier.

If it's 1 guy though I'm guessing you guys will either not have this for people until oh Super Skull Girls next year (or around the time you want to introduce some kind of big DLC package with characters and the mode bundled) or it'll be ignored altogether. :(

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I would again disagree. They offer a certain amount of features for a price and I decide whether that's worth it for me personally or not. If it is I buy it. Simple as that. No luck involved. If it considerably exceeds my expectations I will definitely consider supporting this dev in their future games or upcoming DLC. But it's just a business transaction. This idea that we somehow have to be thankful for people putting up a great product is very weird to me. If I deem it good enough I'll pay for it, simple as that.

Now what I do consider myself lucky about is that a dev of the game is openly posting on a forum I frequently visit. In this luck actually played a part, since he could easily have been a member of another board. Of course it's also good for them, since without this thread I wouldn't know about the game at all.

We are looking at this from way different POV's, however, thanks for your input :)

Okay I'm terrified, how did DR2K become the point of reason in fighting game topics?

If there's anything to complain about with the content in the game it's the lack of any real training options. If you're willing to make a big deal about the lack of a move list (which at worst will take 10 minutes to work out/look up) then God knows how you must have reacted to the online if SF4/KoF/MVC/SFxT because it's pretty embarrassing that they've been outdone by a $15 title.

Does anyone know any good combos using launcher with Valentine?

It depends the the weight class but including launchers I'm currently using:

Light: 2HP, 9LP, HP, dash, MP (2 hits) HP, (grounded) 2HP (relaunch), 9HK, dash, MK, super.

Universal: 2HP, 9MP (3 hits), HK, dash, MP (3 hits) HK, (grounded) MP, 2HP, 9HP, dash, MK, HK super.

Green syringe loaded: 2HP, 9HK, QCF P, dash, HP, (grounded) HP into anything you can manage during their huge hitstun.

Those were day one as I've been spending most of my time with Painwheel but they were the best I could come up with.

Axis

This is a terrible sarcastic retort. The game is stuck between this place of appeasing casuals and being "made for the hardcore." Story is important for casuals, so they double up on artists and whatnot. You simply sit on the other side of the fence, and see your priorities different. If they are trying to go for the casual appeal too, it's a no brainer to put a move set in there to appease that audience.

You play fighting games regularly, ofcourse you can try the same old inputs and get some moves out of it to make a mental move set. You, presumably, are not someone casual who has heard about this Skullgirls game that is so great for newcomers; yet lacks something that newcomers use as a go-to. They want to know how to do cool shit, or learn how to do cool shit. The tutorial mode aids, but is not a replacement for a move set in the game. A move set is something all players can refer to, hit boxes? Not so much.

My priority is wanting a good game to play, nothing more. If you don't own the game then why are you even in here arguing about what is or isn't in it? I'm also glad you can speak by-proxy for all the casual players in knowing what they want or don't want as well. Hitbox viewer is something all players can refer to, as well...but if you choose not to that doesn't mean that the feature doesn't deserve to be there in the first place because it doesn't cater to a certain crowd.

I wonder how the conversation will shift once the patches containing all the missing features are released.

Yo, Real Talk™, if I have to choose between looking moves up online or lookin up hitboxes I will choose moves everytime. You know what else would be rad? In-game chart of frame data.

#TeamHitboxes

Hitboxes aren't something I can figure out on my own...I'm so fucking thankful they included it. Conversation will shift to some other complaint from people who neither own nor plan on buying the game in the first place.

3S:OE had all sorts of features for $15. Based on an established game, sure, but still a good value.

Literally would have 3-5 more sales right now if there was spectating and lobbies for me and some buddies.

Same here. A group of my friends were in until they heard no lobbies or spectator. They're decent FG players already so the (admittedly good) tutorial isn't high on the wantlist for them.

Morris

Disco Devil
First time playing this. Impressions:

lol peacock is lame as hell.

Dunno if i'll stick with her alone or if I should learn Parasol. I still have no idea what i'm doing with peacock most of the time. I just throw shit everywhere fishing for a cable super haha.

alstein

I understand why the devs would want the online to have all the bells and whistles they want, but I think the game would have been better off getting the standard bells and whistles early instead of just 1 vs 1 at launch.

I'm not sure if this was a design trade-off, or whether the standard features couldn't have been finished in time no matter what. People don't miss what they've never had though.

First time playing this. Impressions:

lol peacock is lame as hell.

Dunno if i'll stick with her alone or if I should learn Parasol. I still have no idea what i'm doing with peacock most of the time. I just throw shit everywhere fishing for a cable super haha.

The first time I ever played Peacock I got a perfect on my opponent and didn't even know what the fuck I was doing, lol.

Lothars

Okay I'm terrified, how did DR2K become the point of reason in fighting game topics?

If there's anything to complain about with the content in the game it's the lack of any real training options. If you're willing to make a big deal about the lack of a move list (which at worst will take 10 minutes to work out/look up) then God knows how you must have reacted to the online if SF4/KoF/MVC/SFxT because it's pretty embarrassing that they've been outdone by a $15 title.
The thing is he's not and never will be the voice of reason but things like a move list, lack of training modes or even a lack of a spectator mode are all things that deserve to be called out which is exactly what people are doing, nobody is saying not to buy the game but they are saying that it's not perfect and what people should expect.

They have did things right as well such as the tutorial mode, how the characters feel and how the online seems to work so far. I have faith they will fix the issues that are present.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-j_TMWAE30
Max plays Skullgirls, this should provide at least 100-1000 extra sales right?
It should expose it to people that are not familar with the game and provide more sales.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
My priority is wanting a good game to play, nothing more. If you don't own the game then why are you even in here arguing about what is or isn't in it? I'm also glad you can speak by-proxy for all the casual players in knowing what they want or don't want as well. Hitbox viewer is something all players can refer to, as well...but if you choose not to that doesn't mean that the feature doesn't deserve to be there in the first place because it doesn't cater to a certain crowd.

Hitboxes aren't something I can figure out on my own...I'm so fucking thankful they included it. Conversation will shift to some other complaint from people who neither own nor plan on buying the game in the first place.
Why are you so upset? Am I not allowed to discuss the game in this thread because I don't have a Skullgirls tattoo and pom poms to dance around with anywhere? Is this a criticism-free zone I've stumbled into where prospective buyers can't express their concerns?

I see no purpose in furthering this discussion with you if you continue to resort to petty insults and refuse to read and comprehend my previous posts where I do express interest in buying the game. I don't speak for all casual players, but you would have known that if you read my previous post where I addressed how I feel my anecdotes relate to casual gamers at large.

Axis

Why are you so upset? Am I not allowed to discuss the game in this thread because I don't have a Skullgirls tattoo and pom poms to dance around with anywhere? Is this a criticism-free zone I've stumbled into where prospective buyers can't express their concerns?

I see no purpose in furthering this discussion with you if you continue to resort to petty insults and refuse to read and comprehend my previous posts where I do express interest in buying the game. I don't speak for all casual players, but you would have known that if you read my previous post where I addressed how I feel my anecdotes relate to casual gamers at large.

Why so defensive? I don't really see anything insulting.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Why so defensive? I don't really see anything insulting.
You seem to be fairly defensive yourself where you do not feel I should even be here unless I've paid my dues to Reverge Labs to earn the right to post here. Insulting in the sense that one cannot voice their opinion on a public forum unless they have done so. Strange, and not really conducive to any kind of productive discussion.

vg260

I dont mean to offend, but when you pay $15 for a game that has a s much as it has solely because the devs gave up a lot of their personal time in order to give it to you, I consider you lucky, yes.

Since people are bringing up the Capcom thing as a comparison. Just to play Devil's advocate, people didn't give a crap about the time/dev restraints that led them to cut couch co-op, and only the product itself. As a consumer, why should we care in this case? Isn't it about the product itself? Should we assume because it's a bigger company the people who worked on the game don't deserve the same consideration? Perhaps the programmers were just as devoted. Isn't just having to make feature compromises the same issue, just on a smaller scale?

Thores

There were a few posters 1-2 pages ago saying that story mode didn't matter and should have been eliminated completely in favor of focusing more on the technical aspects of the gameplay.

I would just like to say that I disagree. I disagree so much. The game's universe, and the dev team's stated devotion to telling a story in that universe, is one of the main reasons I bought the game. All the innovative stuff the team did mechanics-wise was a big factor too, of course, but I wouldn't have gotten the game if it was just a solid fighting game with no personality. I'm probably a minority, especially on Skullgirls-GAF, but I'm a sucker for story in my fighting games. I like knowing who these characters are and why they're fighting, and it helps me decide my mains just as much (sometimes more) as them just having mechanics I'm comfortable with.

I'm not saying the hardcore fans of this game are wrong to want what they want, and I see where they're coming from. But not everyone who buys this game is going to play this on a competitive level, and I hope Skullgirls staff reading this thread don't see those posts and decide that the story is expendable. It was a big factor in my purchase, and I don't think I'm the only one.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Since people are bringing up the Capcom thing as a comparison. Just to play Devil's advocate, people didn't give a crap about the time/dev restraints that led them to cut couch co-op, and only the product itself. As a consumer, why should we care in this case? Isn't it about the product itself? Should we assume because it's a bigger company the people who worked on the game don't deserve the same consideration? Perhaps the programmers were just as devoted. Isn't just having to make feature compromises the same issue, just on a smaller scale?

Capcom performed false advertising, its not even close.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The first time I ever played Peacock I got a perfect on my opponent and didn't even know what the fuck I was doing, lol.

Everyone's first experience playing against Peacock:

"Ha ha, it walks like an old cartoon, that's funny."

"What the fuck was that? Did a little airplane just zoom by?"

"Wait--"

"What--"

"WHAT THE FUCK IS ALL THE STUFF AND WHY IS IT TRYING TO KILL ME! GOD DAMN IT!"

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Consumers shouldn't care, they don't have to care. The end product is all that matters. If you feel a certain sympathy towards the developers, sure, you'll give them extra leeway, but that doesn't change the objective product that is put out there at the end of the day and the implications of the value that product would have in the market, or to more people than just you. People have difficulty separating the objective from the subjective really.

For instance, I don't give a shit about lobby support cause that's not personally of value to me. But, in the grand scheme of things, a lack of lobby support really hurts the title, especially to people or even groups of people migrating from other games where it is a standard. Same goes for the whole move set debacle.

vg260

I don' think it's been proven they said anything technically incorrect if you look at their PR and get into the semantics. but that's beside the point, not the core issue of something being cut from development due to time/budget/release date constraints in both cases.

The thing is he's not and never will be the voice of reason but things like a move list, lack of training modes or even a lack of a spectator mode are all things that deserve to be called out which is exactly what people are doing, nobody is saying not to buy the game but they are saying that it's not perfect and what people should expect.

I just feel the outrage towards to the lack of a move list is overblown given it isn't even a necessity for the target audience considering how east it is to work around it. Yes it would be nice to have one in but I'd rather the resources be spent on other assets until the bigger issues are resolved.

Shito

You're being a little bit disingenuous, there: as much as I remember, they advertised this mode quite late, and when they did, they said it would be PS3 only. They only fucked up by leaving it in the 360 manual, which is not something the devs were in charge of.

Raging Spaniard

I don' think it's been proven they said anything technically incorrect if you look at their PR and get into the semantics. but that's beside the point, not the core issue of something being cut from development due to time/budget/release date constraints in both cases.

To me thats the entire point! I saw videos with the feature being advertised and it influenced the sale.

Nevermind the fact that is only the tip of the iceberg in terms of issues have with that game's PR and DLC policies.

You're being a little bit disingenuous, there: as much as I remember, they advertised this mode quite late, and when they did, they said it would be PS3 only. They only fucked up by leaving it in the 360 manual, which is not something the devs were in charge of.

In this case, perception is reality. Its like blaming a user for not reaching the 600 page terms of service.

They were pretty clear with the PS3 exclusive characters, for instance, no issues there.

vg260

To me thats the entire point! I saw videos with the feature being advertised and it influenced the sale.

If you go back and look, they technically never made any claims that were false. Yes, the language is vague, but that specific configuration was never promised. Not saying I agree with the omission. Best for another thread though. Dev teams had to cut something for whatever reason to get the game out in both cases.

Noaloha

For my 1200 microsoft points I genuinely feel (early days as they are) that I got a pretty great fighting game. Interesting cast. Fun systems. And it plays uncommonly well for a console fighter over an internet connection. Emphasis on uncommonly.

My 1st wish would be for an actual fully-kitted-out lab to practice in.

My 2nd wish would be for lobby/spectator.

Movelists, loading times, etc. Whatever. Convenience stuff, nothing more. <-That said, I appreciate that in terms of selling this to consumers, my own wishes might not equate to optimal business choices. I do think lobby/spectator is a real draw across the demographic though.

Raging Spaniard

If you go back and look, they technically never made any claims that were false. Yes, the language is vague, but that specific configuration was never promised. Not saying I agree with the omission. Best for another thread though. Dev teams had to cut something for whatever reason to get the game out in both cases.

Either case, if SG had movelists and 6 player lobbies only on PSN then I would sympathize with you more.

Either way, I agree, devs gotta prioritize and make hard decisions about what to cut.

DR2K

Banned

They have did things right as well such as the tutorial mode, how the characters feel and how the online seems to work so far. I have faith they will fix the issues that are present.

Don't expect a movelist, get it online. Temperary solution. It'll be patched in.
No lobbies. Just enjoy the great netcode and quick and excellent matchmaking. It'll be patched in. A few practice options missing, the tutorial should cover everything. They'll probably be patched in as well.

Developer is fully aware of what is missing, just try and put things into perspective, this is a very small team that was under a lot of pressure to release their game.

Perspective.

Perspective.

galvatron

100% agreed. Personal sacrifices to ship a game are unfortunately not rare in the game industry.

Though having followed Mike Z's history and how long he stuck with making this a reality does have me contemplating buying an extra copy at the slightest provocation despite being short on time (I'm definitely on board for a double dip on the PC release when/if it happens, I just have no PS3 friends who are into this one).

joe2187

Banned
I've double dipped, and will triple dip with PC version, personally I've been behind this game ever since I heard about it a year and half ago, playing it now is strange because of how much I've seen it develop over the course.

Of course I'm scrubby at hell at fighting games, but I love playing them story, mechanics, challenge, and competitive aspects of them.

Azure J

Messed around with the demo for the game since I am a true poverty monster right now. The game is so much fun, even if I basically went in blind regarding character moves and the like. I'm sure it must sound like beating a dead horse at this point, but I can't wait for that movelist patch. Nothing like getting bodied because you don't know what does what while facing someone who loves abusing Cerebella's armored moves. :lol

This shit's gonna be great. Good job Reverge. :)

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Messed around with the demo for the game since I am a true poverty monster right now. The game is so much fun, even if I basically went in blind regarding character moves and the like. I'm sure it must sound like beating a dead horse at this point, but I can't wait for that movelist patch. Nothing like getting bodied because you don't know what does what while facing someone who loves abusing Cerebella's armored moves. :lol

This shit's gonna be great. Good job Reverge. :)

http://www.mediafire.com/?jzb5j9e45ze62n0

From the official site. A movelist oh my!

Axis

You seem to be fairly defensive yourself where you do not feel I should even be here unless I've paid my dues to Reverge Labs to earn the right to post here. Insulting in the sense that one cannot voice their opinion on a public forum unless they have done so. Strange, and not really conducive to any kind of productive discussion.

That was more in jest. I'm not defensive in the least...I just don't agree that something as long overdue and useful as a hitbox viewer should be left out so they could focus on putting a moves list in the game(which is basically what you stated).

Spruchy

Does anyone know where the official topic is? Seems like everyone in here is just arguing over the lack of move lists.

But seriously, this game is great. Best online in a fighter and the characters may be lacking in number but are super deep.

Ravidrath

While I obviously have my own opinions on the discussion, I am finding it legitimately interesting and appreciate that it is (mostly) constructive.

Also, it seems that everyone likes the game? And that these problems more come from that they are holding the game back from its true potential.

As someone kind of alluded to, I am concerned that we will race to fix things like the move list, and by the time we get it out after testing, etc. that no one will care any more and then accuse us of wasting time on that instead of other things. But I guess we'll deal with that when it happens. :p

We're a small company and everyone is trying to think of ways to be able to react faster, but ultimately it just comes down to manpower, and that means it ultimately-ultimately comes down to money.

Top Bottom