• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

While I obviously have my own opinions on the discussion, I am finding it legitimately interesting and appreciate that it is (mostly) constructive.

Also, it seems that everyone likes the game? And that these problems more come from that they are holding the game back from its true potential.

As someone kind of alluded to, I am concerned that we will race to fix things like the move list, and by the time we get it out after testing, etc. that no one will care any more and then accuse us of wasting time on that instead of other things. But I guess we'll deal with that when it happens. :p

We're a small company and everyone is trying to think of ways to be able to react faster, but ultimately it just comes down to manpower, and that means it ultimately-ultimately comes down to money.

If I won the lotto, I'd throw money at you guys just to get enough staff to fully flesh it out. As it is, I love some of the features and design philosophy.

I want you guys to put Capcom, ArkSys, and SNK on notice.

Nyoro SF

I think the number one priority should be glitch fixing and lobbies + spectator. Just throw in simple movelists and don't worry about the flair so that there can be more of a focus on lobbies.

Great work on the GGPO integration by the way. It's perfect. Got some sub-60 ping matches that were absolutely flawless, feels amazing man.

The manual for this game is all sorts of creepo. I know this sort of thing is standard for a lot of Japanese fighting games and whatnot, but I sort of feel like this is going a bit far:

7jlYk.jpg

RTEKi.gif

I would just like to say that I disagree. I disagree so much. The game's universe, and the dev team's stated devotion to telling a story in that universe, is one of the main reasons I bought the game. All the innovative stuff the team did mechanics-wise was a big factor too, of course, but I wouldn't have gotten the game if it was just a solid fighting game with no personality. I'm probably a minority, especially on Skullgirls-GAF, but I'm a sucker for story in my fighting games. I like knowing who these characters are and why they're fighting, and it helps me decide my mains just as much (sometimes more) as them just having mechanics I'm comfortable with.

This. I play fighting games pretty seriously, but if I'm not interested in the characters or the lore, I'm not going to play the game. Otherwise to me it'd be like choosing from a bunch of move lists.

A story mode (big or small) gives me a reason to be attached to the characters and it also makes multiplayer more fun because my mind tends to unconsciously make the connections between the characters.

Mechanics are a big part of it, but I'm never going to choose a character based on mechanics alone.

Grisby

So bought the game and having fun although I didn't even get a chance to make a move on normal. So I bumped it down to easy and managed to last another minute before putting it down to sleepwalking and progressing on.

I'm a casual fighting player. I also went to the tutorial mode after said above.

Also, I gotta say this game has a shit-ton of personality. Great stuff.

naib

Wow. People are pretty passionate about this game.
That's awesome.

I'm not gonna read it all, but still chime in on the lobbies. Sorry.

I know its a huge undertaking but i think the lobbies really will help the game's legs. I've almost always got a stream window thrown up somewhere. I watch fighting games passively all the time. Been watching whatever SG streams I van find. But I just don't think people will stream SG for long without them. Maybe not as big of a deal from some player's perspectives but some people love to spectate.

With the roster I'm not too concerned with the move list. But can't blame people for missing it.

Anyway, game has instant classic status with me. Will buy OST.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
While I obviously have my own opinions on the discussion, I am finding it legitimately interesting and appreciate that it is (mostly) constructive.

Also, it seems that everyone likes the game? And that these problems more come from that they are holding the game back from its true potential.

As someone kind of alluded to, I am concerned that we will race to fix things like the move list, and by the time we get it out after testing, etc. that no one will care any more and then accuse us of wasting time on that instead of other things. But I guess we'll deal with that when it happens. :p

We're a small company and everyone is trying to think of ways to be able to react faster, but ultimately it just comes down to manpower, and that means it ultimately-ultimately comes down to money.
Don't let my, or others' criticism sound like contempt towards you guys as developers with only so much to work with. My favourite fighting game is UMvC3, and there's enough issues regarding the development of that game and it's predecessor. I wish you guys success with everything you do as this game sets a kind of precedent in the genre and it shows through the overwhelming support of players for some of the more universally favourable decisions you guys have made.

I was a Skullgirls hater at first, am still not on board with the art style completely, but I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying the game. At this point, I just want to make sure I have someone to play it with before I pull the trigger, and am waiting it out a bit to see what post-launch support pans out as.

The Beserker Barrage line helped.

Most damage I can do with Cerebella outside the corner without meter is around 5000 without a Jump-in.
At the corner, around 5800 with her Dynamo super.

One thing I'm glad the team's done is make throws combo off of a stagger opponent.
Speaking of which I need to practice more QCB throw combos with Cerebella @_@
learn her [hp xx tumbling run -> kanchou] link. its very easy to do 6000+ meterless without a jump-in. with a jump-in, it can do over 7k meterless maybe even more. i need to experiment with restand into mp stagger. the problem with her qcb throw is, iirc it takes up the otg.

the anti-infinite system is a lot more restraining than i thought it was going to be. my bnb combo already has an otg, relaunch, restand, wallbounce... the only thing i think i'm missing is a stagger? what else can you do before the anti-infinite system kicks in?

SupaNaab

One thing I would like to see added is preset team choices. I realize most of the buttons are in use at character select though so adding additional "Preset Team" slots to the char selection is probably best I guess. It also has the placebo effect of looking like a bigger roster >.>

Axis

The fact that Peacock says "GARBAGE DAY" when she shoots her gun is enough to make me not get salty losing to her.

I fail to see how

There's a point where I can't really tell if all of the measurement/blood type info in the guide is an affectionate wink to Japanese games that also indulge in that silly creepiness or if it's just straight up creepiness. Listing the cup size of a 13 year old girl - and not even a stupid anime "she has E cups but she's totally 13!" girl - (I mean, Filia is "16" according to the same guide, which is still dumb but a little more on the 'that's stupid but ok' side of things) is a bit uncomfortable.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
There's a point where I can't really tell if all of the measurement/blood type info in the guide is an affectionate wink to Japanese games that also indulge in that silly creepiness or if it's just straight up creepiness. Listing the cup size of a 13 year old girl - and not even a stupid anime "she has E cups but she's totally 13!" girl - (I mean, Filia is "16" according to the same guide, which is still dumb but a little more on the 'that's stupid but ok' side of things) is a bit uncomfortable.

It's ment to be a nod towards japanese stuff. They almost always do full character bio stuff. You are thinking way to hard about it.

For example blood types in japan are sorta associated with personality types.

Ravidrath

So, this is an interesting turn of events...

Today Microsoft Japan contacted Konami, and asked us to clarify the Japanese release situation.

Apparently they are getting angry phone calls from people trying to find the game on XBLA. They think that since our website is available in Japanese that it was supposed to come out there.

We only translated the site to try and garner Japanese interest in hopes that would lead to a publishing deal, but I guess it's confused people.

I'm currently writing a statement to clarify the situation.

The manual for this game is all sorts of creepo. I know this sort of thing is standard for a lot of Japanese fighting games and whatnot, but I sort of feel like this is going a bit far:

7jlYk.jpg

A lot of things in this game exists because it exists in most other Japanese fighting games, and this is precisely one of those things.

I'm just upset we didn't also include hat size.

It's ment to be a nod towards japanese stuff. They almost always do full character bio stuff. You are thinking way to hard about it.

For example blood types in japan are sorta associated with personality types.

Right, I know. I'm pretty sure I explained that I understood that in my previous posts. It doesn't really change the fact that it's a little bit weird to list a 13 year-old's cup size.

I mean, I don't know. I'm not morally outraged or anything - I guess she smokes cigars and stuff too, which I thought was hysterically funny. My reaction to reading that information in the guide was just "eurgh", though.

I'm just upset we didn't also include hat size.

Now that would have been funny.

FSLink

Banned

Today Microsoft Japan contacted Konami, and asked us to clarify the Japanese release situation.

Apparently they are getting angry phone calls from people trying to find the game on XBLA. They think that since our website is available in Japanese that it was supposed to come out there.

We only translated the site to try and garner Japanese interest in hopes that would lead to a publishing deal, but I guess it's confused people.

Wow, hilarious. Hopefully that means there's a decent amount of Japanese interest in the game. Also kinda related, but I'm saddened that the Japanese credits song does not play if you set your PS3 to Japanese. :p

LegatoB

Maybe Konami should listen to them, huh

alstein

Yes, though I think I've been the most critical, this game easily falls on the side of good, and most of the issues I have are things you can't solve, because they're me not the game. Peacock makes me laugh.

I think your top priority for fixes should be lobbies, I think that's what the folks who are staying would want, and maybe adding a trial mode for combos.

DLC characters will keep the game alive and kicking, and might gen up a few more sales- though I think a PC version would do more, provided it doesn't use GFWL (tell Konami that it's universally hated in the US), and to allow for total conversion modding. (You give this game total conversion modding on PC and allow the mods to be played on GGPO, you have the next MUGEN and probably a steady trickle of sales for life, as people make their own 2d fighters)

Ravidrath

I think your top priority for fixes should be lobbies, I think that's what the folks who are staying would want, and maybe adding a trial mode for combos.

Lobbies are not a small or easy thing to do, and I think we probably need to get a patch out sooner than we can get those in.

One of the reasons we delayed it is because we wanted to do it right, and not just rush something bad in to have the feature there.

For example, when we add lobbies, Mike wants to eventually have "Exhibition" Lobbies that are about Spectator Mode, and our normal lobbies would let multiple pairs fight simultaneously, with the only waiting time being waiting for another opponent to finish.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Are all of the characters' birthdays supposed to be significant in some way? Glanced at the first 2 characters listed and was wondering if it's a coincidence that Filia shares a b-day with Yipes and Cerebella shares one with the game's release date.

Ravidrath

Are all of the characters' birthdays supposed to be significant in some way? Glanced at the first 2 characters listed and was wondering if it's a coincidence that Filia shares a b-day with Yipes and Cerebella shares one with the game's release date.

I think they all are supposed to be in some way, but I don't know all the specific things.

Both of those are coincidences, I think - we planned to have the game out long before this week, after all.

SupaNaab

I was struggling to find an anti-air with Painwheel when I realized a charged st.MP is one of the best around. It pretty much always wins because of Hatred Guard and it's her launcher of all things.

Theonik

Is the demo on XBL an older build of the game? I tried it yesterday and will probably pick it up later.
I did encounter what appears to be some graphical glitches though which might be worth noting on the "to do list" I had my sprite or the enemy's sprite occasionally disappear to be replaced by a visible hitbox. I'm assuming this was not meant to happen, or am missing something?

I have some friends that feel like they've been burned by the netcode because they've gotten matches that are "laggier than KOF13" and just in general compared to when they play each other on other titles. I'm pretty sure this is because

1) the initial ping they got for GGPO delay was inaccurate
2) at least one of them didn't set an appropriate delay regardless

After looking on SRK about it... Mike Z mentioned that pings can be inaccurate since they only take an initial value and don't average a range of samples(something I assume lobbies will have less of an issue with, since I see bar connections get adjusted in BB/SF lobbies), and later Ponder mentions that opponents with high latency can cause lag on both ends of the connection if they set their delay much lower than the recommended value for their ping--even you pick the 'correct' value.

I'd like to ask if you guys plan to keep the current system of showing ping and recommended frame delay largely as-is, or plan to revise it (by either providing an option that's more automated or forcing high-ping connections to not be able to pick low frame delay, or making the sampled ping more accurate and checking for connection stability/packet drop rate as well, etc).

Ravidrath

Is the demo on XBL an older build of the game? I tried it yesterday and will probably pick it up later.
I did encounter what appears to be some graphical glitches though which might be worth noting on the "to do list" I had my sprite or the enemy's sprite occasionally disappear to be replaced by a visible hitbox. I'm assuming this was not meant to happen, or am missing something?

All XBLA games are unlocked demos, so no.

Basically, that happens when your HDD can't keep up with data transfer rates the game was built around. We don't really know why it seems to be happening moreso in the wild, because it wasn't a problem in testing. We've heard some reports that clearing your cache can help, but it might also be due to defragmentation of the HDD.

Since all testing is done on devkits which have empty HDDs, it's not something that showed up in testing.

I have some friends that feel like they've been burned by the netcode because they've gotten matches that are "laggier than KOF13" and just in general compared to when they play each other on other titles. I'm pretty sure this is because

1) the initial ping they got for GGPO delay was inaccurate
2) at least one of them didn't set an appropriate delay regardless

After looking on SRK about it... Mike Z mentioned that pings can be inaccurate since they only take an initial value and don't average a range of samples(something I assume lobbies will have less of an issue with, since I see bar connections get adjusted in BB/SF lobbies), and later Ponder mentions that opponents with high latency can cause lag on both ends of the connection if they set their delay much lower than the recommended value for their ping--even you pick the 'correct' value.

I'd like to ask if you guys plan to keep the current system of showing ping and recommended frame delay largely as-is, or plan to revise it (by either providing an option that's more automated or forcing high-ping connections to not be able to pick low frame delay, or making the sampled ping more accurate and checking for connection stability/packet drop rate as well, etc).

This is something I encountered in my MP testing with press, and it's something we're thinking about how best to address it.

I think we may try to take multiple pings and average them, but even that could be inaccurate.

We may add a note to add 1 or 2 to the suggestion if your network has other people on it or something, since that can cause wild fluctuations in ping time.

This is something I encountered in my MP testing with press, and it's something we're thinking about how best to address it.

I think we may try to take multiple pings and average them, but even that could be inaccurate.

We may add a note to add 1 or 2 to the suggestion if your network has other people on it or something, since that can cause wild fluctuations in ping time.

I don't know if this is going to be moot (as in, if you're going to be effectively doing this with lobbies anyway), but could you also consider allowing both players to change the frame delay from the rematch menu as well?

galvatron

For example, when we add lobbies, Mike wants to eventually have "Exhibition" Lobbies that are about Spectator Mode, and our normal lobbies would let multiple pairs fight simultaneously, with the only waiting time being waiting for another opponent to finish.

:O

Kickstarter that and I will donate...

Theonik

All XBLA games are unlocked demos, so no.

Basically, that happens when your HDD can't keep up with data transfer rates the game was built around. We don't really know why it seems to be happening moreso in the wild, because it wasn't a problem in testing. We've heard some reports that clearing your cache can help, but it might also be due to defragmentation of the HDD.

Since all testing is done on devkits which have empty HDDs, it's not something that showed up in testing.
Oh so it seems you are aware of the issue, it does sound like a tough issue to point down especially if it's hard to reproduce on test units. I just thought I'd bring it to your attention if it weren't already.

Dachande

It's happening very frequently with me, on my 360. I typically play Filia/Valentine with some occasional Ms.Fortune, and so far have literally just been playing Parasoul/Cerebella online. Whenever a character switches in (manually with a button press), I'll get mostly hitboxes for perhaps 1-2 seconds about... 60% of the time.

I've got a third party 250GB harddrive that I flashed to work exactly as an official one, only just over a year old, on a fat 360. Jasper, I think, if that's useful.

:O if you have deadcross as Valentine assist and in the match you use the hitstun poison then tag her out. When you use the assist she will throw the poison dart. That's awesome.

I have been only using Valentine but I might look into seeing who can do better combos. Although I can pretty much get like a 28 or more hit combo without hitstun poison with her.

Whose idea was the third stage of the boss?

My goodness

It doesn't even feel like I'm playing the same game

I'd prefer if it was just a regular character except their hits did 10x damage. The fight now is just obnoxious

She's significantly easier on lower difficulties, but I recommend sticking as close to her as possible(unless you're Peacock) and using heavy normal spam without doing any chains. Crossing her up is sometimes useful because you avoid the skull spawns. Heavy normals get a lot of damage in and allow you to block the bigger things on reaction most of the time.

When she gets to Phase 3 I usually just dump all the meter I've built to kill her. I think Painwheel has the worst time dealing with Phase 3 because if she makes distance getting in is next to impossible if she doesn't feel like letting you in, and having meter doesn't help a lot. Cerebella is a distant second.

Peacock seems to destroy her on any difficulty... fitting, really.

Nyoro SF

The only reason the final stage of marie is so annoying is because she floats away so quick. I died about five times due to chip merely because I just couldn't reach her in time.

On the sixth try, I managed to KO her with a pixel left. I then got hit with a skull post-KO which knocked me out and triggered the knockout sound, but it still registered the win for me. Phew.

Also Ms. Fortune has a nice ending.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Yea. She's manageable up until the last stage, then it's full on SNK boss mode. If you aren't on her when she transforms, good luck.

Ravidrath...

I just got the random cat Cerebella makes... twice in the same training session, both within 10 seconds of each other. Do I win something?

And where can I find a move list? This is aggravating. :(

First 2 phases are pretty doable, third phase is silly though. Getting it done with Cerebella was practically impossible and my strategy of using my armor soldier as Parasoul (which works amazingly) completely fell apart and I got chipped to death from half health trying to find a way in.

Am I playing a fighting game or Contra?

edit: you can stay next to the 2nd transformation? first one does crazy damage

Top Bottom