• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

So is it 100% legit to just play Peacock vs someone who picks 3 characters?

I'm butt at the game, but I tried solo Peacock yesterday. It was terrible. I think she works best with assists to help lock down the opponent somewhere.

But maybe if you're really good it would work. Even then, though, she'd still be more effective with assists.

I must be the only tier 2 opponent around (US, East Coast). Selected any region and 10 minutes later still not a match in sight. Population can't be THAT low... can it?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I double-dipped and got the 360 version too.

The load times (online) are noticeably worse than the PS3 version, but for me it was only by a few seconds. Whereas the PS3 version loaded matches up in 8-10 seconds, the 360 version goes to a "waiting for the other player" screen after the initial loading screen comes up.

I also had some difficulty joining matches on 360, but there may have been some 360 network issues for me last night.

Am I missing something or are there no options in training mode to make the opponent block or tech?

I couldn't find it as well.

complaints:

Exit game in sub menu (why?! dashboard does this)
lacking crucial training options (auto block, auto escape for infinites, basically a host of ai options)
do characters get dizzy?
long loading times (xbla)
movelist
achievements only for player 1
wish there 4 more chars
more stages
'buy full game' doesn't disappear entirely
does it record fights?

Yeah, it's a shame there's so much missing. I know they had both time and filesize constrants, but if that's the case, I would have preferred if they did without the single player story aspects instead of excluding more important things like training mode options.

impact

Banned
I couldn't find it as well.

complaints:

Exit game in sub menu (why?! dashboard does this)
lacking crucial training options (auto block, auto escape for infinites, basically a host of ai options)
do characters get dizzy?
long loading times (xbla)
movelist
achievements only for player 1
wish there 4 more chars
more stages
'buy full game' doesn't disappear entirely
does it record fights?
And the most important one: no lobbies. Trying to play this with 3-4 friends was a nightmare.

alstein

I'm butt at the game, but I tried solo Peacock yesterday. It was terrible. I think she works best with assists to help lock down the opponent somewhere.

But maybe if you're really good it would work. Even then, though, she'd still be more effective with assists.

I tried it online a few times, it's rough. It's so hard to get folks off you as Peacock, and she really doesn't have safe chip vs much of the cast which doesn't help matters.

shaowebb

Man I am super digging Valentines moveset. Options on anything. I think I'm gonna try her and Peacock for my dynamic duo. Any thoughts on assist setting for Valentine? I wanna try Peacock on either airplane or the speedy bomb summon.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
Yeah, it's a shame there's so much missing. I know they had both time and filesize constrants, but if that's the case, I would have preferred if they did without the single player story aspects instead of excluding more important things like training mode options.

I pretty much have to agree on this. Why focus on story when there's so many other things that should have been included.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I feel this way too. The training mode options feel weirdly prioritized. From the lack of move set to like replay/record options/dummy manipulation options seems weird. Maybe I'm spoiled by Marvel's training mode, I don't know.

I feel this way too. The training mode options feel weirdly prioritized. From the lack of move set to like replay/record options/dummy manipulation options seems weird. Maybe I'm spoiled by Marvel's training mode, I don't know.

The thing is, it just isn't Marvel. These options are practically a universal standard nowadays.

jtrov

Loving. This. Game.

The presentation and music is just so good. Just adoring the characters and level designs.

I'm more of an average fighting game player, as I've never played one game long enough to truly learn the ins and outs. However, I've always enjoyed fighting games, since the days of lining up at arcade machines on the boardwalk just to get destroyed. It's been a struggle early on, but I've been experimenting with a few characters and I'm finally picking up some nice combos and move sets. Still though, I'm having a great time online playing players of all different skills even if I am losing more than I'm winning. The game is just a lot of fun regardless and I'm enjoying learning the game on the fly. My main struggles come against Peacock, as she is a nightmare for me to handle.

I will probably check out the tutorial one of these days coming up, but on Day 1, all I wanted to do was jump right into the action. The three characters I've grown to enjoy the most are, Filia, Parasoul, and Valentine. If anyone wants to play some matches sometimes just hit me up on XBL. My GT is: jtrov.

impact

Banned
Because story is important to the casual player.
The hardcore needs outweigh the casuals needs in a game like this. I've played like 5 randoms and only one was super awful. All the others knew BnBs and stuff. Casuals aren't interested in this game.

DR2K

Banned
The hardcore needs outweigh the casuals needs in a game like this. I've played like 5 randoms and only one was super awful. All the others knew BnBs and stuff. Casuals aren't interested in this game.

Not if it wants to sell past its niche, which it does.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.

I'd go even further: casuals don't have enough awareness of the game to be uninterested.

Tizoc

Most damage I can do with Cerebella outside the corner without meter is around 5000 without a Jump-in.
At the corner, around 5800 with her Dynamo super.

One thing I'm glad the team's done is make throws combo off of a stagger opponent.
Speaking of which I need to practice more QCB throw combos with Cerebella @_@

Hm, is there a way to combo into green needle and continue the combo? Like, would a simple aircombo into needle lead to extended hitstun so that the combo could continue where it would normally end?

Lauch, HK as soon as you can, needle, dash after a slight delay and then use your jumping HP. The HP should connect whilst they're still in stun from the needle itself and you'll end up right next to the opponent.

Kusagari

They'll play for a week and get bored because it doesn't have their awesome bro Ryu. The game needed lobbies/spectator more than a story mode.

No lobbies is killing it for me right now. I really don't know how they left that out. I don't care if it was gimped like MvC3's with just life bars, no lobby system at all is really bad :/.

alstein

Your average dudebro casual who only plays SF4 isn't, but the anime casual fan is.

The guys who made Calamity Trigger a hit probably are loving this game , if they know about it.

impact

Banned
No lobbies is killing it for me right now. I really don't know how they left that out. I don't care if it was gimped like MvC3's with just life bars, no lobby system at all is really bad :/.
Yep. It's probably why my group won't play this very long, despite being a fun game.

Solune

Your average dudebro casual who only plays SF4 isn't, but the anime casual fan is.

The guys who made Calamity Trigger a hit probably are loving this game , if they know about it.

I can't determine if this is joking or not but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that this is tongue-in-cheek.

This game will appeal to you if you like a solid fighting game with extremely flexible fighting mechanics, but it won't appeal to those who can't get over the visual style.

Gowans

love the game but having no moves list and directing you to the website in game which then takes you to a .pdf to download from MediaFire is unacceptable.

Crocodile

Wow, clearing the last portion of the Chapter 3 tutorial was really hard. I only managed to do it when I figured out that I could insert a "Split Ends" between "Bounce & Volume" and "Hairball (HK)" to ground the opponent to allow enough time for me to actually do the Hairball and cancel into the super.

Yeah, it's a shame there's so much missing. I know they had both time and filesize constraints, but if that's the case, I would have preferred if they did without the single player story aspects instead of excluding more important things like training mode options.

Considering this is only the second NEW fighting game IP released this ENTIRE generation (1st being Blazblue) I'm aware of, they needed to provide some context as to what is going on, who these people are, why they are fighting, etc. There is a pretty extensive lore to this universe and we've only touched the surface.

The tutorial mode is something that really sets the game apart. I don't think cutting it is really an option. Not to say those omissions aren't unfortunate or regrettable and that they don't need to be addressed (they do but thankfully they will be), but considering the quality of the core experience and the things this game has/does that other games do not, it comes up a wash IMO. I will add that MikeZ DID let us know ahead of time that some of these options wouldn't be there at launch (at least on SRK but I'm pretty confident that info made its way to the previous NeoGaf thread).

They'll play for a week and get bored because it doesn't have their awesome bro Ryu. The game needed lobbies/spectator more than a story mode.

To my understanding, most dev teams have like 5-10 dedicated network programmers. This team had ONE.

P.S.-More people should read the OP

Wow, clearing the last portion of the Chapter 3 tutorial was really hard. I only managed to do it when I figured out that I could insert a "Split Ends" between "Bounce & Volume" and "Hairball (HK)" to ground the opponent to allow enough time for me to actually do the Hairball and cancel into the super.

Considering this is only the second NEW fighting game IP released this ENTIRE generation (1st being Blazblue) I'm aware of, they needed to provide some context as to what is going on, who these people are, why they are fighting, etc. There is a pretty extensive lore to this universe and we've only touched the surface.

The tutorial mode is something that really sets the game apart. I don't think cutting it is really an option. Not to say those omissions aren't unfortunate or regrettable and that they don't need to be addressed (they do but thankfully they will be), but considering the quality of the core experience and the things this game has/does that other games do not, it comes up a wash IMO. I will add that MikeZ DID let us know ahead of time that some of these options wouldn't be there at launch (at least on SRK but I'm pretty confident that info made its way to the previous NeoGaf thread).

To my understanding, most dev teams have like 5-10 dedicated network programmers. This team had ONE.

P.S.-More people should read the OP

So people can't have problems with things with missing things that have been standard in most fighters for a while, because the dev team is small?

Um, I mean, SKUUULLLLLGIIRRRRRRLLLLLSSSSSSSSSS!

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
So people can't have problems with things with missing things that have been standard in most fighters for a while, because the dev team is small?

Actually, yeah.

You look at the price and dev team and expect "x" amount of features depending on both those variables. That makes sense.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I could not praise the tutorial mode enough, it's what fighters desperately need, and what I've been begging for forever in fighting games. I don't think it compensates for a move set though.

Hitbox and hitstun meters are nice, but I would rather have a move set built into the game than those. It's a no brainer. They're icing on the cake.

Actually, yeah.

You look at the price and dev team and expect "x" amount of features depending on both those variables. That makes sense.
So... smaller dev team means effort should go into extraneous content like hitbox viewing instead of core fundamentals like a move set built in?

Not really, it's inexcusable, even if being patched in later. Literally seems like the easiest possible thing to implement into the game.

SupaNaab

Painwheel Basic Combos

I put together some really basic combos and intermediate stuff for any novices curious about Painwheel. She is one of the more difficult characters so I tried to provide some basic combos you can build off of. Learn the BnB Starter, add a Combo Finisher. If you wanna get more advanced add Fly Cancel Combos . Any combos that go beyond these basics will have to be tailor made to avoid the Infinite Protection System which is why I have yet to provide any air combos.

Chev

They're things that are standard to fighters made by tons of people, so it's perfectly arguable you can't expect the same standards from games made by small teams, yes.

Kusagari

I honestly have no problem with anything, the no move list is dumb but whatever, except the lobby system being left out. You do NOT release a fighting game in this day and age with no lobby system. You just don't. The absence of one will kill this games online community.

zlatko

Banned
Actually, yeah.

Well then they sort of fucked up on where they put their time and money towards imo.

All the SP stuff can be tossed to the wayside in return for lobbies and spectating. Why? Well I'd be giving them money for it is why. Now it's a wait and see until they add it or if they add it, and depending on how long it takes, it could just be too late to have earned my $15.00.

This day and age for fighters the online is make it or break it. Shitty SP will not effect you in the long run. Go look at SC5.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
They're things that are standard to fighters made by tons of people, so it's perfectly arguable you can't expect the same standards from games made by small teams, yes.
They're standards to all fighters. Skullgirls is the only exception to your criteria, basically. Like I mention above, not having that and having other extraneous shit is inexcusable. Move set comes before tutorial mode, even training mode. It should always be at the top of the list since it ties most directly into the core gameplay.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
So... smaller dev team means effort should go into extraneous content like hitbox viewing instead of core fundamentals like a move set built in?

Not really, it's inexcusable, even if being patched in later. Literally seems like the easiest possible thing to implement into the game.

Weve been over what it would take. Team was small, money was running out, everybody was crunching like mad for months and the publishers wanted the game out now, after several delays.

If they couldave gotten more to you in time, they wouldave. If your priorities dictate some elements are more important than attracting new players through the tutorial system, I hope its not a deal breaker , but as far as me goes, I think it was the right move.

I think teaching people how to properly use LP, MP, HP and LK, MK, HK before learning how to throw fireballs is more important. Fundamentals before flash.

Crocodile

Is that actually what you think I wrote? Really? Of course those are problems. I agree with you that it sucks. But they weren't hidden knowledge, they were mitigating circumstances, they have been recognized and they will be fixed. What else is there to be said?

Truth be told, from what Mike has said, adding a move list would actually be harder (UI work, more bug testing, localization across languages and platforms, etc.). He wrote the hitstun bar thing in like a day I believe.

Noaloha

It shouldn't be forgotten that there's a pretty substantial difference in what the developer has to work with when comparing a $40-50 retail disc and a $15 digital game released through a console's proprietary online store.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Weve been over what it would take. Team was small, money was running out, everybody was crunching like mad for months and the publishers wanted the game out now, after several delays.

If they couldave gotten more to you in time, they wouldave. If your priorities dictate some elements are more important than attracting new players through the tutorial system, I hope its not a deal breaker , but as far as me goes, I think it was the right move.

I think teaching people how to properly use LP, MP, HP and LK, MK, HK before learning how to throw fireballs is more important. Fundamentals before flash.
None of this excuses that from the start it should have been a priority, not along the way when shit was getting hectic, and you have to make a decision close to crunch time. From a design standpoint, they chose some other questionable stuff as the sell (I continue to use hitbox viewing as an example) for the game, and leave the fundamentals out in the process. I cannot agree with that perspective on game design.

Top Bottom