• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

shaowebb

I'm surprised it took so long for someone to have a mechanic like this. It lets you go all out on character moves knowing the game is loaded with infinites, and instead makes it a game of trying to extend the combo as much as possible without replicating. It's a simple but smart system and it makes a lot of the combos make logical sense in your mind of why they work, rather than them just pop out.

I know! Man if you could just combine something like that with a system that prevents unblockables too then you'd have the best fighting game system EVER!

Wait a minute...

SupaNaab

My problem with IPS is that optimal combos become extremely long. I find myself cutting combos short or dropping them for a grab because I'll lose track of what the hell I'm actually trying to do -.- This will tide over as I become more familiar but new players shouldn't even really be concerned about this. I think my favourite part of any fighting game is when you begin to capitalize on rare or unusual situations and you develop a sense that "Hey, I bet this works". In Skullgirls, it always works <3

dock

I've been ignoring this because the 'all girls' theme is offputting, and the emphasis on 'hardcore' fighting equally so. I'm currently butting up against KOF XIII and finding the complexity offputting. Shame, because I've always considered myself a fan of 2D fighting games.

I guess I might be done with fighting games. :/

NEO0MJ

Well that's scary. I can barely grasp basic combos and people are already performing insta-kill combos.

Also, what did people think of the story? Personally found it interesting. Not Oscar worth but helped give the characters some personality, which is why I hate Cerebella right now.

Crushing Ms.Fortune like that was just cruel and evil. Non canon I know but shows how evil she can be.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Well that's scary. I can barely grasp basic combos and people are already performing insta-kill combos.

Also, what did people think of the story? Personally found it interesting. Not Oscar worth but helped give the characters some personality, which is why I hate Cerebella right now.

Crushing Ms.Fortune like that was just cruel and evil. Non canon I know but shows how evil she can be.

Not to mention she's pretty much a whore :p

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I personally found the last part of her ending kinda creepy. Doesn't she think of that guy as family and a father figure?

I believe so, it's not like she didn't realize she fucked up her life for the long haul after that though. At least that's what I believe from that empty dead facial expression she gave at the end.

NEO0MJ

I believe so, it's not like she didn't realize she fucked up her life for the long haul after that though. At least that's what I believe from that empty dead facial expression she gave at the end.

Yeah, but by then it was too late for her, and Ms.Fortune :'(

NEO0MJ

I know that ending isn't cannon for sure, but I wonder which ones are sorta cannon. I'm sure part of ms.fortunes is. But not the whole thing.
Each storyline and ending probably have some truth to them and offer a bit of insight into the plot, even if they didn't happen.

Sorry if it's been asked before, but any news on the EU PSN release yet? I've been anticipating this game for so long and just playing the demo without online versus is excruciating.

vvv- I would love to do that, but I don't have that kind of money right now :(

Aeris130

Sorry if it's been asked before, but any news on the EU PSN release yet? I've been anticipating this game for so long and just playing the demo without online versus is excruciating.

Might take a while, SF2HD was stuck in SCEE offices for 2 months after the WW release. I ended up buying the US version instead, since playing against the west coast is tolerable from where I live (plus the netcode is good), as well as the occasional european I come across. If there's ever any dlc I'd like to buy, I'll just double-dipp on my EU account, SG being 15$ and all.

Tizoc

Yeah Cerebella's ending was just...
What the hell, hero?!
...but DAYUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM does Cerebella make one delicious
bunny girl

I've been ignoring this because the 'all girls' theme is offputting, and the emphasis on 'hardcore' fighting equally so. I'm currently butting up against KOF XIII and finding the complexity offputting. Shame, because I've always considered myself a fan of 2D fighting games.

I guess I might be done with fighting games. :/

Fighting games are fun because of the depth and challenge. Especially today, when most games are intentionally made to be easy and simple, so not to upset the player with too high of a challenge, or by requiring too much effort.

alstein

I'm surprised it took so long for someone to have a mechanic like this. It lets you go all out on character moves knowing the game is loaded with infinites, and instead makes it a game of trying to extend the combo as much as possible without replicating. It's a simple but smart system and it makes a lot of the combos make logical sense in your mind of why they work, rather than them just pop out.

I saw the idea in a mailing list, many, many years ago. (you wouldn't believe how many)

One of the guys on that same mailing list worked on Skullgirls, though the idea didn't come from there. (It wasn't a gameplay guy)

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Man I thought I would be using Filia and Valentine because of how familiar their play style is, but I'm having a lot of fun with Double x Peacock now. Can't think of a good Peacock custom assist, though.

Dachande

I'm loving Filia right now. She can really punish fuck-ups severely, and many of her air options (MP and MK particularly) feel so safe. I tend to airdash in quite a bit and test the waters with MK since if the first hit connects or gets blocks, I find Filia gets pushed back a nice little distance to just about be safe enough. Her j.MP is fantastic and crosses up all the time.

It's strange because I never expected to Filia to become one of my main characters (I had my eyes on Valentine and Ms.Fortune only), but she's probably my strongest.

Rlan

So on the Xbox Live Arcade the Leaderboards are super weird... they're just one, big list of names. No score, no reasoning, nothing.

Anyone know what the leaderboards entail, or how they're actually added to said leaderboard? Is it online battles only or something?

Finally got my hands on the full game. Can't wait to dig in and learn the game thoroughly! Aiming to main Parasoul (even though I'm not much of a charge person) and going to experiment with Valentine. I will be trying out everyone though.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So on the Xbox Live Arcade the Leaderboards are super weird... they're just one, big list of names. No score, no reasoning, nothing.

Anyone know what the leaderboards entail, or how they're actually added to said leaderboard? Is it online battles only or something?

I think it's just something to do with online wins. I went from 2200 or something yesterday to like 332 or something after getting a nice bunch of online wins. It is a pretty clunky, insignificant-feeling leaderboard. Wish it had a more meaninful criteria (wins, style, largest combo, story completion time per character... anything), and more variety of options.

Save for the sake of fighting, online feels pretty "responseless" in the game. No battle points, no titles, not even the ability to see the other players Gamertag anywhere while IN battle, or before battle. Plus, there's no clear indicator of which player you are (1p or 2p), when the game loads the character select screen up.

We also seem to be missing things like character useage %s, total number of fights, etc. Will any of this appear in the gallery in the future, perhaps?

On the plus side, being able to retry in player matches is fantastic, so no worries with that element.

------

Oh, and adding to the list of "Things to add to improve the training mode":

-- "1 block, then jump" is a dummy state I really like in KoF XIII. Great for testing block strings, frame advantage, and grappler-style anti-jump traps. The fact other games don't have this feels bad, man. XD

- Definitely needs a quick "reset to beginnin" shortcut. Maybe like holding start, and pressing back.

- MVC3 also had a "hold a direction while restarting, and character default to the corner held" mechanic, which was also incredibly useful for getting into instantly practicing corner combos. If you include the quick reset, please include this too.

Wait, did I really hear Parasoul say "One million troops" during her drive-by super?

Haha, yup, that you did! She says it with such passion, too!

Won't the IPS allow someone to escape this?
nah, you can tell when it kicks in because they flash pink and it has wierd hitsparks. parasoul's bomb thingy makes them flash red so it looks a bit confusing. however, it does take 4 bars and requires the corner (i believe), so its not exactly the most practical combo.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Just have to say, also, I know you mentioned there wouldn't be XBL gamerpics for the game, Ravi, due to the 64 x 64 size of them being too small or something... you're kidding, right? XD I love the SD gamerpics that SNKP released for all their early XBLA games, and Skullgirls could do very well with either the same style thing (SD versions of the official art), or even oldschool pixel-art style versions of the characters, just because.

Including some with the free compatability packs would be great, and a great way to passively advertise updates of the game to lapsed players who fight their fighter-friends in the new fighter of the moment. (You don't know how many times I've gone back to a game, or started a discussion that takes me and the opponent back to playing it, due to such a thing.)

Ms. Fortune alone is ripe with potential for becoming a very memorable gamepurr pic, that'd it be a cat-tastrophe not to do something whisker. (-_-;)

Shoutouts to Spirit of Jazz for a great set just now. Learned quite a bit about my character. Hit confirming is so important in this game.

Shoutouts to Spirit of Jazz for a great set just now. Learned quite a bit about my character. Hit confirming is so important in this game.

Good games man, I think now that I've moved to 2 characters I'm going to give up on 6 buttons and start using macros for assist as I was having to perform some plinking gymnastics in those games. Anyway you've improved a hell of a lot, I think I'll be having nightmares about grab damage tonight.

Dartastic

Gah, this game is so good. Even when I get swagged on, I don't even mind. It's like "oh, that's a sick combo right there" and I know it's due to the other person just plain styling, and me screwing up. Gah. SO FUN.

Top Bottom