• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

3rd stage of the final boss fuck you seriously, i was playing arcade mode thinking that I could avoid that bitch but she is in that too :| oh whats that shadow overhead, exploding skeleton I clearly jumped dashed over, 100 fill the screen skulls with mega chip damage.

I prefer to fight peacock and double over this shit, at least that involves skill and the ability to fight back fairly.

My new Painwheel/Valentine BNB is 8730 damage into a reset (into a 50/50 left/right mix-up) or 11500 with 2 bars, or 13900 with 3 bars. I just wish my Valentine could get anywhere near that damage.

Sir you may need to see an eye doctor! Get on that as soon as possible!!!

lol Nah dude, my eye sight is fine. 20/20 and all that, the games designs just really do make a lot of the action hard to read. While it's reasonable to expect the player to invest in mastering the combos and techniques in a fighting game. I think it's a fair bit less reasonable to expect them to have to invest time to just be able to read the movements against the busy character designs and animations.

KO'd characters staying on screen cluttering the action even further, for whatever reason, dosen't help. Probably so I don't miss out on those oh-so wonderful panty shot KO poses. (is there a way to turn that off btw?)

Comparatively there's typically a lot more things happening on screen during a fight in UMvC3 and I have no problem reading character actions in that game.

Those of you having difficulty with the boss w/ Filia, I've found the following works best:

Form 1: j.HK air-dash j.HK
Form 2: j.HK
Form 3: qcb PP Super followed by s.HP

Form 3 is a serious test of patience though.

shaowebb

3rd stage of the final boss fuck you seriously, i was playing arcade mode thinking that I could avoid that bitch but she is in that too :| oh whats that shadow overhead, exploding skeleton I clearly jumped dashed over, 100 fill the screen skulls with mega chip damage.

I prefer to fight peacock and double over this shit, at least that involves skill and the ability to fight back fairly.

Seriously?If this guy can do it messing around like this so can anyone else.
Its pretty much an exercise in patience. The game is setup to make you a better player and nothing is more important than blocking and knowing how to wait to punish. If you rush it down like crazy and go nuts with jump ins without blocking with any character you'll just get juggled by bullets. Just relax a bit, block a lot and pick your spots. Run in mashing and you'll always get ate.

El Sloth

Banned
^ Keep crossing her up in her first two forms and use your heavy attacks. Save your meter for her last form.

Unless you're Peacock in which case you can throw as much shit at her in her first form and keep teleporting behind her in her second form. Dot bother to try and combo her last form. Just one hit and then block. Abuse her bomb super.

lol Nah dude, my eye sight is fine. 20/20 and all that, the games designs just really do make a lot of the action hard to read. While it's reasonable to expect the player to invest in mastering the combos and techniques in a fighting game. I think it's a fair bit less reasonable to expect them to have to invest time to just be able to read the movements against the busy character designs and animations.

KO'd characters staying on screen cluttering the action even further, for whatever reason, dosen't help. Probably so I don't miss out on those oh-so wonderful panty shot KO poses. (is there a way to turn that off btw?)

Comparatively there's typically a lot more things happening on screen during a fight in UMvC3 and I have no problem reading character actions in that game.
You're not the first person to bring this up. I personally have issues telling what Double is doing sometimes.

I've always hated that the bodies stayed on screen since they showed it. Blah blah Valentine lvl 5 blah blah still don't like it.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Parasoul's Lvl 3 can instantly kill Marie's Form 2 right after she starts transforming into it.

Marie's a bit of a joke, as she calls out a LOT of what she does ("Rise from your grave!" "Serve your new master!"), and there are tells for the other stuff (such as watching the shadow move up or down, before it does the overhead, or SRK.) She occassionally has moments of "spam the screen just to annoy you!", but she also has very stupid moments of "just sit still, and take damage". Probably one of the LEAST-annoying 3 form bosses in a game ever, and nowhere near SNK boss syndrome.

----

Anywho, I really wish they'd go ahead and put custom color palettes into the game, in the same style as KoF XIII. Yeah, color sliders could lead to a bit of a mess, but a few controlled, pre-set colors to select from for each part would be very nice, and allow people to "make" characters that might even be EASIER to read than some of the jumbles of color we have in the game NOW. Not to mention there are loads of under-used pallette options (thighighs for Parasoul, unique streaks of hair to color for Fortune) that'd be nice to play around with.

Would allow us to make things like Peacock's Grinch color, or Samus Parasoul again, as well.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Speaking of colors, one of Ms. Fortune's alt color schemes is totally based on her, right?:

Q9BEC.jpg

Other posters have mentioned that they have difficulty parsing the sprites because of the sprites and how they overlap with the darker backgrounds. Steaks and Sloth have made some pretty good points and I'm inclined to agree with them, even though as a long time fighting game fan, I'm apparently accustomed to some of the problems (and Steaks even addressed that fact in a more recent post.)

It's a shame, but there wasn't much difference between the last few versions of the game and the retail version, so I guess it'll just be one of those little things about the game that people have to decide how they feel about it. And I'm not saying "just deal with it", so don't start up with that; I know this sort of thing affects the feel of the game, which can make or break a player's experience, so I think it's going to affect people in different ways. I dunno, maybe a soft-ban on dark stages would help with the palette issue, although it wouldn't make the animation any smoother.

Speaking of animation, there is one thing I just wanted to ask about Double. I was under the impression that Double was supposed to move abruptly and be hard to read; isn't that the point of her playstyle? I mean, as quick and bouncy as the animation is for characters in general, Double's animation is even more so. The almost-instant cross-up dash, the way some transformations are fast while others are slow and detailed (but also jerk wildly when canceled into other stuff) and other stuff like that made me think that she's just supposed to be hard to follow when used properly, like the handful of shapeshifting characters that are in other fighting games.
This doesn't really apply to the other characters, but I think that Double is a special case, and I think that it works for the character (although of course, whether or not a character that relies on being hard to read is a good choice from a gameplay design is always up for debate.) What do the rest of you all think?

Anybody having any luck against Peacock as Painwheel? Jump back roundhouse whilst calling down items makes the match-up feel like it's 9-1 due to Painwheel's lack of any ground mobility and the moves totally covering the air..

shaowebb

Quick request for Reverge Labs. I just printed out the move list for 360 from the Skullgirls site and it lists all the moves using the default button layout. For example, Double's move "Cilia slide" is listed as <-+A+RT

The thing is I use a custom layout for my arcade stick and now these move lists are pretty much a jumbled mess to me now due to this. Would someone at Reverge be willing to do up the movelist sheets in generic format we could use for all systems using the LK, MK, HK sort of annotation to aid us users of custom layouts?

If you're busy I more than understand and I'll get around to making a legend out to decipher my printed "bible" after I finish up college tonight.
Speaking of animation, there is one thing I just wanted to ask about Double. I was under the impression that Double was supposed to move abruptly and be hard to read; isn't that the point of her playstyle? I mean, as quick and bouncy as the animation is for characters in general, Double's animation is even more so. The almost-instant cross-up dash, the way some transformations are fast while others are slow and detailed (but also jerk wildly when canceled into other stuff) and other stuff like that made me think that she's just supposed to be hard to follow when used properly, like the handful of shapeshifting characters that are in other fighting games.
This doesn't really apply to the other characters, but I think that Double is a special case, and I think that it works for the character (although of course, whether or not a character that relies on being hard to read is a good choice from a gameplay design is always up for debate.) What do the rest of you all think?

Those are the impressions I got. Double's main asset isn't in her moveset, but in how difficult she is to read with her animation style as she jumps between moves. Its generating a lot of salt from folks in lets plays and on forums from what I'm noticing, but I like this. Its a unique way to make a character tricky and its the only time I've ever seen a clone character come across as so uniquely their own thing in a fight. She's not OP and she's not unfair, but she is a character that can be scary once they get in because they are extremely hard to read moves on for blocking mixups. I like how this worked out, but it might just be me.

Quick request for Reverge Labs. I just printed out the move list for 360 from the Skullgirls site and it lists all the moves using the default button layout. For example, Double's move "Cilia slide" is listed as <-+A+RT

The thing is I use a custom layout for my arcade stick and now these move lists are pretty much a jumbled mess to me now due to this. Would someone at Reverge be willing to do up the movelist sheets in generic format we could use for all systems using the LK, MK, HK sort of annotation to aid us users of custom layouts?

Unless I'm mistaking your request the "Arcade" Movelist is what you want.

http://skullgirls.com/game/guides/

Steaks

Scribblecats?

When you attack with Cerebella's Lock n Load, there's a random chance a poorly drawn cat will fall out, stand there for a moment, then walk off the stage. It's a pretty low chance, I've gotten maybe 5 out of 300+ games so far.

I only play Cerebella.

I call them scribblecats. They are the best.

shaowebb

Printed! Can't wait to get back to playing tonight after college. I'm wanting to try out Painwheel with Double set to the sub-zero slide as her assist. Game is soooooo good. Thanks Reverge for making this.

Dartastic

Fuck. I need some players to come up with some swag Filia combos. Almost all of the ones I'm coming up with run into the infinite counter thing, even though I don't feel they should. =(

Masaki_

So, has someone found a way around Peacock with butt slam assist? Cause people are getting real salty and instead of trying to break it, they're copying it.

NEO0MJ

Fuck. I need some players to come up with some swag Filia combos. Almost all of the ones I'm coming up with run into the infinite counter thing, even though I don't feel they should. =(

I used to think she'd be the most popular character, at least at launch, considering how familiar she would feel to Vs/Arc players.

So, has someone found a way around Peacock with butt slam assist? Cause people are getting real salty and instead of trying to break it, they're copying it.

Now that the game finally found its M/S/P it can finally be called a legit fighter XD

Steaks

Super jump over it, then rush in while it's down, you can duck under it about 3/4 of the screen in.

You can hit her out of recovery, but Peacock can hit you.

When you attack with Cerebella's Lock n Load, there's a random chance a poorly drawn cat will fall out, stand there for a moment, then walk off the stage. It's a pretty low chance, I've gotten maybe 5 out of 300+ games so far.

I only play Cerebella.

I call them scribblecats. They are the best.

A pic for reference:
rIQ6C.jpg

I think it's like a 0.02% chance or something, or so I've read. So getting 2 in a row is, like, crazy lucky. Cool stuff.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Uh, you do realize I don't even have the game, right. Don't be a douchebag.

Stop thinking I'm only talking about you. I'm sorry I hurt your wittle feelings. But what I said is literally how to deal with it. People getting hit by it all day are too busy trying to attack when it's available to summon. Can't do that.

Top Bottom