• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
That was fun, Q. It'll probably be a few days before I get over the discouragement of losing so badly, but once I'm over it, I'll have to hit the lab and train for a while.

And in hindsight, I probably shouldn't have bought a rage-inducing game when I'm trying to quit smoking. That only serves to amplify the rage 100-fold.

EDIT: Also, how are people finding Marie that bad? As you can see from the above, I'm pretty terrible at fighters, and it only took me three tries to beat her on Normal. Any SNK boss is WAY harder than her.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
That was fun, Q. It'll probably be a few days before I get over the discouragement of losing so badly, but once I'm over it, I'll have to hit the lab and train for a while.

And in hindsight, I probably shouldn't have bought a rage-inducing game when I'm trying to quit smoking. That only serves to amplify the rage 100-fold.

EDIT: Also, how are people finding Marie that bad? As you can see from the above, I'm pretty terrible at fighters, and it only took me three tries to beat her on Normal. Any SNK boss is WAY harder than her.

hahaha it's fine man, you said yourself you barely got the game long. Marie is pretty easy you just gotta learn to block :D People are probably just trying to fighter her like a normal character

shaowebb

This. Fight KOF XI Magaki and tell me Marie is unfair. YOU CANT. Marie is fine and in my opinion checks to make certain you paid attention when the game tried to teach you how to block mixups and how to punish earlier through the story mode and tutorials. I think its just the last form that trips people up due to the flying. A few days after they first meet her I expect everyone to be cool with fighting her. If she gets patched I say they should make her harder just to throw a bigger offline challenge to folks. Armored projectiles or something lol.

chriskun

Man, this game is so fun. I'm not this biggest fan of how combos feel in this game, but once you get in a match the pace of this game is so perfect. The online is a blessing, hope other companies take notice.

This. Fight KOF XI Magaki and tell me Marie is unfair. YOU CANT. Marie is fine and in my opinion checks to make certain you paid attention when the game tried to teach you how to block mixups and how to punish earlier through the story mode and tutorials. I think its just the last form that trips people up due to the flying. A few days after they first meet her I expect everyone to be cool with fighting her. If she gets patched I say they should make her harder just to throw a bigger offline challenge to folks. Armored projectiles or something lol.

lol I remember that fight...

It was so cheap I wasn't even mad...

It's also why I always laugh when people say a fighting game boss is cheap..Nothing matches up with that.

and that probably isn't the worst SNK boss.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
lol I remember that fight...

It was so cheap I wasn't even mad...

It's also why I always laugh when people say a fighting game boss is cheap..Nothing matches up with that.

and that probably isn't the worst SNK boss.

Yeah, Igniz, Zero, and Shin Gaoh (SamSho VI) are all way worse than Magaki.

I mean seriously, Igniz can straight up kill you any time he wants.

EDIT: Okay, maybe not Zero, now that I think about it.

Tried out the demo.

As someone who has never been good at fighting games, I loved the tutorials! Exactly what I wanted and expected SF4 to have.
Doubt I'll end up picking this up though, because I would be buying it just for the tutorials and nothing else.

Man, the loading times (at least on 360) are crazy!

Support Reverge Labs, support good tutorials!

Besides, tutorials that make you good at all fighting games? That's gotta be worth, like, $15 dollars yo!

shaowebb

Yeah, Igniz, Zero, and Shin Gaoh (SamSho VI) are all way worse than Magaki.

I mean seriously, Igniz can straight up kill you any time he wants.

EDIT: Okay, maybe not Zero, now that I think about it.

Lol. Those were the days. Cmon Reverge, don't cave to week 1 folk complaining the boss is hard in their initial outings. The Skullgirl is supposed to be a legend. She's the Boogey Man! Make that mean something. Either let it rock or turn the pain dial all the way up to 11 and set forth the fires of hell upon our screens so that her legend is truly unforgettable if you patch her in any way. Armored projectiles, guard break summons, septuple speed skull rockets, and the ability to use sunglasses boost! Hard knockdown, crumples, wall bounce, ceiling bounce, teleports, xfactor level 5, dark resurrection and Koryu mode bonuses! AHAHAHAHA!

*has a deathwish*

Anyone figure out any good combos with Parasoul?

All I'm doing now is jump in something -> cr LK -> cr MK -> launch -> jMP -> jHP -> cr LK -> cr MK -> HP -> HP

Watching that Magaki video made me rage. That's not good fighting game design, that's just fucking lazy.

To be fair, that player was also terrible at the game, it seemed. Constantly trying to jump in on a boss that keeps swatting you out of the air? KOF has a roll that gets you past 90% of that bullshit, and playing the game effectively at all required you to use said roll.

Jintor

Gonna assume the horrific load times are because I'm using some shitty ass jury-rigged USB hard drive. Gonna go get a proper HDD then get back to dis.

BTW tutorial mode kind of sounds like TTT2's battle lab from what few seconds I played of it so far (Skullgirls, not ttt2)

To be fair, that player was also terrible at the game, it seemed. Constantly trying to jump in on a boss that keeps swatting you out of the air? KOF has a roll that gets you past 90% of that bullshit, and playing the game effectively at all required you to use said roll.

I did not know this.

It still looks like bullshit.

Tizoc

All I'm doing now is jump in something -> cr LK -> cr MK -> launch -> jMP -> jHP -> cr LK -> cr MK -> HP -> HP

Refresh my memory but Parasoul can do:
LK, LK
LP, LP
MK, MK
MP, MP
and chain/cancel those normals? Try that out.
Also try and avoid doing jump ins, focus on ground and combos that can start off High or Low attacks.

shaowebb

As you may now know, I really don't give a shit about doubles so called "op" assist :D

That assist is what superjumps and airdash cancel moves are for. Just hop over it, dash, and cancel the airdash with a move to plummet in over it like an evil female torpedo of doom right on top of your opponent.

Or just use peacock's teleport :D

Ferrio

Banned
God, I wanna play online but my ISP been shitty past couple of days. Not sure what's going on. Getting pings 80ms higher than normal... and they weren't that good to start with.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
God, I wanna play online but my ISP been shitty past couple of days. Not sure what's going on. Getting pings 80ms higher than normal... and they weren't that good to start with.

:( I wanna play ya too

That assist is what superjumps and airdash cancel moves are for. Just hop over it, dash, and cancel the airdash with a move to plummet in over it like an evil female torpedo of doom right on top of your opponent.

Or just use peacock's teleport :D

LOL I'm not having issues with it. Thus what I said

Item Box

I laugh in the general direction of anyone who tries to play zoning peacock with luger replica assist double.

That shit is so lame

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
They're not hard to beat, it's just that I've encountered so many of them today that it's getting really annoying now.

People using double for her assist usually have no idea what they're doing anyway, so easy pressure for my Filia.

Oh you play filia? Havent seen her much yet x.x You play on psn?

alstein

They're not hard to beat, it's just that I've encountered so many of them today that it's getting really annoying now.

People using double for her assist usually have no idea what they're doing anyway, so easy pressure for my Filia.

Filia has the easiest time vs Peacock I think. So easy for her to get in with Gregor Samson.

Ties

Banned

Anywhere: starter c.HP j.MP j.HP j.HK (if this whiffs you can continue) s.LK, LK s.MK, MK c.HP j.LK j.2MK j.HP

Was playing Skull Girls with some friends today and for a game where everyone is big upping the fact there's like 2 billion frames of hand drawn animation, the art was pretty underwhelming. The animation itself is nice enough but the action still dosen't look as weighty or impactful as a say a Third Strike.

Also I appreciate that the artist has a recognizable style, and he/she is clearly competent. But these designs in a fighting game are really terrible to me. All the characters are so busy and are performing nearly incomprehensible motions. When they get up close to each other the game devolves into an unintelligible mess. It's not a fun game to watch people fight in, even when I was playing I had a really hard time reading the characters motions.

Also all of the backgrounds look like straight up ass. Blurry ground textures mixed with sharper art,objects with pixilated edges, odd perspective choices.

I'm gonna give it another shot some time, but for right now I'll just keep messing around with SfxT.

V_Arnold

Tons and tons of stuff are available with her.
I worked out a few fundamentals that I keep using, even if sometimes the chaining together part fails - but these will be solid fundamentals to build on.

First good ground combo:
(charge back) s.lk,s.lk,s.mk.s.mk., s.hp,s.hp-NIPPLE SHOT(!4), into:
s.lp-c.lk-c.HP (launch) -> j.Lp->j.HP ~ delay: j.HK into ground, into:
s.lk,c.mk,c.HK->low soldier cancel (charge back, forward), c.lk, c.mk->umbrella fuck(High version) -> motorbike hyper finisher -> c.HK.

Another interesting concept is this:
J.Hp->c.LK,c.mk,c.hk, low soldier cancel, c.lk, c.mk,umbrella knockdown (high -> motorbike hyper, mid-> sniper hyper)-> c.HK->umbrella low

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Was playing Skull Girls with some friends today and for a game where everyone is big upping the fact there's like 2 billion frames of hand drawn animation, the art was pretty underwhelming. The animation itself is nice enough but the action still dosen't look as weighty or impactful as a say a Third Strike.

Also I appreciate that the artist has a recognizable style, and he/she is clearly competent. But these designs in a fighting game are really terrible to me. All the characters are so busy and are performing nearly incomprehensible motions. When they get up close to each other the game devolves into an unintelligible mess. It's not a fun game to watch people fight in, even when I was playing I had a really hard time reading the characters motions.

Also all of the backgrounds look like straight up ass. Blurry ground textures mixed with sharper art,objects with pixilated edges, odd perspective choices.

I'm gonna give it another shot some time, but for right now I'll just keep messing around with SfxT.

Sir you may need to see an eye doctor! Get on that as soon as possible!!!

Wow...

That's too bad man. At least you gave it a shot though. Apparently it's just not for you. Enjoy SFxT!

Unrelated: I've yet to take the game online here in Japan. Solo'ing Filia but my execution isn't quite there yet.

Also, Marie is really not that bad. The final transformation can be a pain at times, but SNK fighters are way more relentlessly unfair.

I really have this problem with Double and Ms. Fortune, but everyone else is fine.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I really have this problem with Double and Ms. Fortune, but everyone else is fine.

Double it's intentional. Just learn her buttons.

What parts of ms fortune are confusing you? the rush down stuff in the corner with the head? Just think of her in perma genei jin status when you are blocking and act accordingly. When she hits the head she sends it flying she can juggle it around and as long as it's flying around it gets one hit, if she rehits it in mid air again it gets another hit.

Double it's intentional. Just learn her buttons.

What parts of ms fortune are confusing you?

No, not playing them - watching them or playing against them. I can't tell what Double is doing half the time just because she's changing shape all the time, and to a lesser extent I have a hard time keeping track of Ms. Fortune just because of her stretching stitches and stuff. It's just a little difficult to make out what's going on sometimes.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
No, not playing them - watching them or playing against them. I can't tell what Double is doing half the time just because she's changing shape all the time, and to a lesser extent I have a hard time keeping track of Ms. Fortune just because of her stretching stitches and stuff. It's just a little difficult to make out what's going on sometimes.

she only does streatchy shit with her down mp, uppercut, and down Hp. Down hp is a hook looking motion a ), the uppercuts are diagonal up like this / and the down mp is a W.

Keep your eyes on the lower part of her towards the ground if you are having issues with her overall animations.

For double hit up training with her and see what each button does. You dont really want to be paying attention to her completely mentally block out some of her and pay attention to the moments you are in block stun to look at the buttons they are pressing.

But the best bet is to either play vs one for a while to learn the distance on her attacks or to hit up training to see them yourself. She's ment to be disorienting but her ranges on everything will always be the same. She should only give you real trouble the first day or so you play vs her.

Double is one of those characters who you learn after about a month of staring at them, you start to remember the look of moves without thinking too hard about it then it clicks.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Double is one of those characters who you learn after about a month of staring at them, you start to remember the look of moves without thinking too hard about it then it clicks.

>.> I've had about 90 matches today vs different doubles... I got that deformed creep memorized inch by inch.

btw double always makes me think of Saya no Uta... which in return makes me want to kill her as fast as possible and get her off my screen -.-

Steaks

Sir you may need to see an eye doctor! Get on that as soon as possible!!!

I actually have similar problems. It honestly is a hard to read game. I've mentioned this before but the custom lighting reduces the levels of contrast between characters, the shading style has similar contrast (using black instead of color), and the sheer amount of noise the game generates (this isn't really a problem, as you couldn't achieve the same gameplay without removing this).

When you combine all these factors, it makes the game harder to read as a whole.

I've mentioned it earlier in the thread, but the human brain does not react to the "whole image" moving, it reacts to sudden changes in shape and color. It's a very biological thing that made us not die to predators. It's the way our eyes and brain perceive things quickly. When you reduce the amount of color + shape change, it makes it harder to react to things or discern them as different types of signals that you train yourself to understand.

The problem is solvable by playing the game a lot, but it's an added barrier of understanding the player has to overcome simply because the art style is the way it is.

This is actually the reason TF2 looks the way it does. Imagine playing TF2 with muddled colors, it actually impacts gameplay for newer players, and why IMO the lighting effects while they look pretty, suck for the purposes of gameplay.

If you want a basic idea of how this works: There's a mixup in Street Fighter 3 involving Urien. When you play against people with high reaction time, overheads are much harder to hit all of a sudden. Then you realize that the thing people are reacting to isn't the overhead itself, it's the way you can tell Urien now has added "Urien"-ness to the upper part of his body because he's standing and now doing a f+HP, when you do a stand jab or even just stand, then immediately do a low. These players cannot tell the difference between that sudden change in shape and color and his overhead. The less clarity there is in this regard, the harder it is to react.

When you have two blobs of similar shape occupying the same space, suddenly it's harder to tell the person in front of the assist is doing an overhead, because they have very low contrast and you can't discern between one or the other as fast.

People don't perceive this as a problem, because it's easier to see past when you've played TONS of fighting games, but it does make an actual difference in gameplay and negatively affects those entering your game, because they don't understand what certain shapes and colors changing mean to them yet, or what to look out for. When you're looking for something to change, it's harder to perceive the game as "blobs of colors" moving around, but to a newer player, this is how it will appear, and make it harder to see what moves have what kind of startup animation or even just read moves in general if they're fast.

Top Bottom