• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

I guess the problem is I'm trying to play it like Marvel 3. Never played much of Marvel 2.

I mean, I only know what a restand is because I'm assuming it's self-defining, it restands a falling opponent before they hit a grounded state so that you can continue the combo without using an OTG. Right?
Do you also suck at this game? If so, we should play.

Ken

Yup, that's it.

My BnB right now is

c.lk, c.mp, c.hp, j.lk, j.hk, c.lk, c.mk, j.mp, j.hk (restand), c.mp, c.hp, j.lp (mash)

the j.lp restands them, which then allows me to either reset into a 360, or do one last simple ground chain into super.

i stole my bnb from kioshen

sorry! =A=

Beats

GGs Roubjon. I can't really say too much since I don't know much about Cerebella/Peacock. >.<

If anyone wants to play in about 2 hours I'm up for some games on psn.

Azure J

Gonna try rolling with Valentine (Savage Bypass H or Mortuary Drop) or Fortune (Fiber Uppercut L)/Parasoul (Napalm Pillar) for a bit to see if I'll finally figure out how I should be doing things in the neutral and calling assists. I'm so used to assists as a means of mixup that I don't know how they work as GTFO.

I still need to learn some actual combos too.

Sloth, you down for matches later tonight?

Azure J

Well I stole it from you :V

I know you didn't ask me, but I'm also up for matches if you want.

I would be down for matches with the both of you actually. Shame we don't have lobbies yet.

I'm taking a break (from a long set of Marvel with my brother) for the next few hours but I'll be on around 9PM EST for anyone to invite/threaten me with an invite for some matches. I still don't know combos though, so I feel bad. :lol

Beckx

Yup, that's it.

My BnB right now is

c.lk, c.mp, c.hp, j.lk, j.hk, c.lk, c.mk, j.mp, j.hk (restand), c.mp, c.hp, j.lp (mash)

the j.lp restands them, which then allows me to either reset into a 360, or do one last simple ground chain into super.

I will try that out. Just spent more time in the lab and the only thing that seems really tight for me is the second c.lk, c.mp after landing, seems very easy to whiff the c.mp.

Also, Zidane's guide says you can end with QCF+P, QCF+PP, but I can't get those to combo, so I just go directly into super.

Do you also suck at this game? If so, we should play.

I am worse than terrible. Thinking about double dipping for a PS3 copy, if so I'm down.

I am worse than terrible. Thinking about double dipping for a PS3 copy, if so I'm down.
Groovy. Just don't expect any advice on how to use your characters from me. I have a very basic understanding of Painwheel and can spam projectiles with Parasoul. That is the extent of my gameplay talent thus far, haha.

something like that

actually i'm closer to japan than hawaii lol. i should just move there for sg arcade edition.
I'd still give it a try sometime if you want.

Ken

Groovy. Just don't expect any advice on how to use your characters from me. I have a very basic understanding of Painwheel and can spam projectiles with Parasoul. That is the extent of my gameplay talent thus far, haha.

I'd still give it a try sometime if you want.

I'd have to buy it on PS3 and figure out how to play on pad first lol.

Spiral Swords ends sooner. :p

Are those little heads doing chip damage? I was in constant panic mode and didn't even look at my life bar while those are out. At first I thought they all hit low so I really freaked out, haha.

Is the car hyper invincible during its entire duration?
Bionic car is super duper invincible and Cat satellites are freaking hilarious. The catellites used to be even better back in vanilla SG. Back in those days Valentine and Double ruled the roost due to the lax combo system and hornet bomber being retarded.

Just try your best to block catellites and look for a good time to respond with some sort of invincible super if your opponent doesn't have meter for a car or character DHC. It is pretty much the MvC2 Ouroboros of this game except crazier and she can stack it with Bionic car which is terrifying. Double with meter is a real terror.
I've been wondering about how slow that move is. I'm pretty good at avoiding the command grab in most situations. A Cerebella I played used it every chance he got this weekend.
It has terrible recovery, but it was designed like that on purpose. I don't think you understand just how hard that move hits. Pick solobella against a team of three in training mode and use her level one grab. Then you'll see why Mike gave it such a hard tradeoff.

I said it below, but I'll say it here. Almost everyone has a major downside to their gameplan that can be exploited. I've blown up Disco's attempted level one grabs a few times because of that horrible recovery.
Won't Peacock's projectiles push it more than I could ever hope to, though? She can fire out so many compared to my characters.
This is where Parasoul comes in. A well placed RC or Inferno Brigade counter against someone who doesn't have a crazy good DHC or meter means you can send that fat sucker right back to that smug Peacock's face.
What's Hornet Bomber?
Double's butt slam which used to be nearly broken in vanilla SG due to having complete invincibility from start to finish.
Hey now, that's just not fair. I comboed off of that a good 50% of the time. I'm just getting used to multiple ground dashes with Parasoul. No wavedashing or plink dashing is killing me.
My bad if I sounded like I was telling you off. I just wanted to put it out there regardless. People lurk around here so this was just general advice for the few watching.
Is it invincible all the way through? I kept trying to do Painwheel's crawl hyper to beat it out, but I kept getting the input direction wrong (behind me vs. in front, etc.).
Yeah.... it is invincible all the way so I wouldn't recommend trying to beat it unless you are using an invincible super counter like Inferno Brigade, Cerebella's diamond punch and Double's own Bionic car (this clash it hilarious lol). It is best to watch the dust like others said. If you block it Double appears right next to you in recovery and she is COMPLETELY vulnerable.

Everyone in the cast has a downside if you look hard enough. Maybe the only one who doesn't is Filia? That girl is safer than Magneto at a gun show.
Are you sure the motorcycle hyper is unsafe on block? I felt like I actually had frame advantage. That means I don't really have a way to DHC Painwheel out...I thought it was just a nice, safe move. I know the sniper shot is unsafe, but you know me - I like to try and predict stuff. Sometimes I put it out there because I think you'll do something. You're a far safer player than most of the people I played this weekend, though. I was good at catching them. I usually only go for those punishes when the opponent is low on health or I want to DHC Painwheel back in, though (Sniper shot to crawler hyper combos from anywhere).

I wish she could fire her daggers in the air for harassment.
Thanks for the compliment. I really should head out to tournaments to see what I can do. Unfortunately players like Keninblack will stop me dead in my tracks. :p

Yeah... I think it is unsafe, but I could be wrong. It's not a good move to just toss out though because a super on reaction and DHC into something like Argus agony will blast away all the motorcycles and STILL hit you. Yeah, the motorcycles can get blown away by stuff like Cerebella's level 3, Double's Bionic Car, Argus Agony and a mirror motorcycle super. Don't forget Parasoul's top region. Painwheel and Ms.Fortune will eat Parasoul for breakfast if she keeps spamming motorcycle supers when those two can fly (or jump in Fortune's case) and do their air super.
Well, what else can I do but fly? :p
Fly low so you can normal cancel close to the ground and dash every once in a while. You just gotta play the matchup against characters like Parasoul. It could be much worse. It could be Lei Lei vs Dormington.
Why is Peacock + Double so bad? The butt slam move helps with keepaway? I thought Peacock's anti-air assist was really annoying. It made me consider picking her up, though, because Painwheel/Parasoul/Peacock (lots of Ps...) is basically Sentinel/CapCom/Blackheart in terms of team structure.
It is fucking terrifying. Peacock and Double are the Moridoom of this game and it becomes a damn near wall with a solid DP assist from anyone on the cast. You have no idea how bad it is. It's like a wall of Tex Avery, Eldritch horrors and MvC2 corridors.
That brings up a few questions I have, though:
1) Why is Napalm Corridor so much better for Painwheel than other anti-air assists?
2) What do I do about that run behind + finger butt move Cerebella does?
3) Why did Peacock's AA assist sometimes charge up a bit before it landed, but not always? Can you hold the assist button like its point version?
4) Why is Painwheel the only character in the game without any good assists? :-( Why do the characters I like never have good assists? :-(

Duckator kept telling me to use her j.LP, j.HP after jumping, but j.LP never hits for me - what am I doing wrong?
You must not be close enough. Check her hitboxes in training mode and you'll see why Napalm pillar and her light punch are so good.

*Napalm Corridor has the tallest hitbox as far as I know and it also happens to be the safest GTFO assist there. Others are more punishable via less invul frames or just plain being in the air too long(Filia's up-do for example).

*Cerebella's Kancho is telegraphed as hell. Honestly... just watch it coming and block? Parasol can tell her to buzz off with Napalm Pillar, I guess.

*You mean her item drop? Yeah, hold any of the punch buttons and it charges from one to three levels with level three drops having big hitboxes and level two items dropping faster than normal(very very dangerous for Painwheel). There is some key stuff to know about Peacock's item drop as a Painwheel player. All except for two of the items behave very similar. Tenrai-Ha is a multi hitting level 3 drop and Dio's road roller causes a hilarious Jojos animation that may as well be a super lol. They don't happen often. Light punch item drop makes an item drop close to Peacock's front, but it doesn't move anywhere. Medium punch item drop makes an item drop halfway across the stage from Peacock's front, but it doesn't move anywhere either. Level three item drops cause a ground bounce which makes it easy to set up two(even three if you are Mike) argus agony supers using Peacock's walking bombs. Level three drops also track everywhere, but they can be dodged by Painwheel.

*Painwheel's crouching medium punch is a good multi-hitting normal. Disco has handed my ass back to me on a gold plate using that and Cerebella. I'm sure Parawheel can do the same with practice.
Yeah, you hit me with the b.HK almost every time. She's very hard to block consistently. Which team of those you used is your main team? It felt like Parasoul is your main, since you were much better with her than any of the others.
I talked up her mixup game, but it is pretty mild if you ask me. She is probably right in the middle of the cast in terms of mixups since her only fast overhead is forward light punch. Parasoul is my main, but I think I do better with Peacock when I'm truly under pressure. You wouldn't see it unless you watch me play someone leagues ahead of me.
There were a ton of instances where I could/should have DHCed into Inferno Brigade. Every time I DHCed into her bikes I winced because I remembered that level 3s only take 2 bars to DHC into (which is weird).

To combo off of Parasouls grabs, I should RC soldier, dash forward c.LK to OTG?
You can RC, but it's not necessary to combo off a backwards tossing grab. Head to training mode and practice it a bit. All you need is grab+dash+light kick+launcher and you are read to go. Combos off forward grab in the middle of the stage ought to require RC, though.

Yeah, remember the fact that all non level 1 supers are one bar cheaper than normal. I like it because it makes the use of extravagant level threes more rampant which is good for spectator purposes. I feel like it is a sort of replacement for X-factor's hype.
I don't know who this person is. ;-P
The Ryu to my Sakura.

Have some of his posts to better understand Painwheel and Parasoul:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=58054692&postcount=4605

Abuse Painwheel's super armored light attacks

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=54135522&postcount=4425

Good summary about Painwheel

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=57134534&postcount=4475

Talking about Parasoul

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=57172500&postcount=4485

List of high level players who you might find on youtube

Don't let his Painwheel posts get to you too much. Painweel is bad in the same way Wesker might not be amazing against the top tier in mahvel. It's not bad, but Painwheel walks a fine line between nightmare inducing horror and not being so hot. It is the price of imitating an MvC2 God.
It felt the same as offline play except for a few matches toward the end. Things got a little jumpy and I got lost for a moment or two.
Pretty impressive considering the fact that you are in Chicago and I'm in NY.

El Sloth

Banned
That's your best ping yet, Ken!
Spiral Swords ends sooner. :p

Are those little heads doing chip damage? I was in constant panic mode and didn't even look at my life bar while those are out. At first I thought they all hit low so I really freaked out, haha.

Is the car hyper invincible during its entire duration?

What's Hornet Bomber?

Why is Peacock + Double so bad? The butt slam move helps with keepaway? I thought Peacock's anti-air assist was really annoying. It made me consider picking her up, though, because Painwheel/Parasoul/Peacock (lots of Ps...) is basically Sentinel/CapCom/Blackheart in terms of team structure.

That brings up a few questions I have, though:
2) What do I do about that run behind + finger butt move Cerebella does?
3) Why did Peacock's AA assist sometimes charge up a bit before it landed, but not always? Can you hold the assist button like its point version?

I don't know who this person is. ;-P
You think so? It feels like Spiral Swords lasts a lot longer. You bet your ass they do chip.

I believe it is. If you're about to lose by chip to the car then I recommend doing a hit invincible move if you have one (Parasoul's pillar for example).

Hornet Bomber is Double's butt slam. It's her DP basically. And a great freaking assist. The lk one has the most invincibility but doesn't go very far, the mk one has some invincibility on startup and goes half-screen, and the hk version doesn't have any invincibility but goes roughly full screen. The mk and hk versions are so scary with Peacock because on hit it is a complete momentum killer pushing you clean across the screen resetting the situation and giving Peacock all the time in the world to set up a level 2 item drop and a whole new bomb pattern. Even on block it pushes you back a decent amount, which starts getting really frustrating as you have to simultaneously deal with projectiles coming from every which way.

Witness Peacock/Double for yourself.

2) You have to block that as a cross up. Or you can hit her out of it before she starts moving behind. You might even be able to grab her out of it, but I'm not too sure about that one.
3)Peacock's item drop has 3 levels to it dependent on how long you hold down the button. If you pay attention to the shadow that appears under your character when she uses it, you'll notice an exclamation point that appears as the shadow grows larger indicating the level of the item.

Discoshark is a poster here.

Edit: Oh wow, I never realized that Double's level 3 went into full animation if it hits an assist.

What are the top anti-air assists in this game? So far I've seen Parasoul and Peacock with great ones.

Just try your best to block catellites and look for a good time to respond with some sort of invincible super if your opponent doesn't have meter for a car or character DHC. It is pretty much the MvC2 Ouroboros of this game except crazier and she can stack it with Bionic car which is terrifying. Double with meter is a real terror.
Should I snap Double in? She seems kind of crappy without meter. Or maybe you just aren't very good with her.

It has terrible recovery, but it was designed like that on purpose. I don't think you understand just how hard that move hits. Pick solobella against a team of three in training mode and use her level one grab. Then you'll see why Mike gave it such a hard tradeoff.
I understand how hard it hits. Why do you think I got good at not getting hit by it? :p

This is where Parasoul comes in. A well placed RC or Inferno Brigade counter against someone who doesn't have a crazy good DHC or meter means you can send that fat sucker right back to that smug Peacock's face.
Ohhh, good thought! Is it only projectiles that make it plop around?

Double's butt slam which used to be nearly broken in vanilla SG due to having complete invincibility from start to finish.
What is it like now?

My bad if I sounded like I was telling you off. I just wanted to put it out there regardless. People lurk around here so this was just general advice for the few watching.
I dig.

Yeah.... it is invincible all the way so I wouldn't recommend trying to beat it unless you are using an invincible super counter like Inferno Brigade, Cerebella's diamond punch and Double's own Bionic car (this clash it hilarious lol). It is best to watch the dust like others said. If you block it Double appears right next to you in recovery and she is COMPLETELY vulnerable.
Cool.

Everyone in the cast has a downside if you look hard enough. Maybe the only one who doesn't is Filia? That girl is safer than Magneto at a gun show.
Duckator said this to me: "Don't let her get in on you. If she does, you've probably lost the game." That's why I tried to do those claw grabs in the air against your air dashes. Trying to keep your butt out. :p

Thanks for the compliment. I really should head out to tournaments to see what I can do. Unfortunately players like Keninblack will stop me dead in my tracks. :p
You were better than most of the people I played this weekend. You should go out and see what you can do.

Yeah... I think it is unsafe, but I could be wrong. It's not a good move to just toss out though because a super on reaction and DHC into something like Argus agony will blast away all the motorcycles and STILL hit you. Yeah, the motorcycles can get blown away by stuff like Cerebella's level 3, Double's Bionic Car, Argus Agony and a mirror motorcycle super. Don't forget Parasoul's top region. Painwheel and Ms.Fortune will eat Parasoul for breakfast if she keeps spamming motorcycle supers when those two can fly (or jump in Fortune's case) and do their air super.
I dig. I really only use it for DHCs and post-grab combos. Hopefully only one of those in the near future with some practice.

Fly low so you can normal cancel close to the ground and dash every once in a while. You just gotta play the matchup against characters like Parasoul. It could be much worse. It could be Lei Lei vs Dormington.
Can I cancel flight safely with j.LK in response to the sniper shot's screen freeze?

It is fucking terrifying. Peacock and Double are the Moridoom of this game and it becomes a damn near wall with a solid DP assist from anyone on the cast. You have no idea how bad it is. It's like a wall of Tex Avery, Eldritch horrors and MvC2 corridors.
Peacock seems to be the character that everyone complains about so far.

You must not be close enough. Check her hitboxes in training mode and you'll see why Napalm pillar and her light punch are so good.
I should check those. I checked all of Painwheel's, but there weren't any surprises.

*Napalm Corridor has the tallest hitbox as far as I know and it also happens to be the safest GTFO assist there. Others are more punishable via less invul frames or just plain being in the air too long(Filia's up-do for example).
It seems like she has a good amount of recovery.

*Cerebella's Kancho is telegraphed as hell. Honestly... just watch it coming and block? Parasol can tell her to buzz off with Napalm Pillar, I guess.
I don't know if it's going to be the finger pop until they get to me, though. It could be the ram horn, yah? I always jump and try to j.HP to hit her, and then she just zips behind me. Is it armored, invulnerable, or...?

*You mean her item drop? Yeah, you any of the punch buttons and it charges from one to three levels with level three drops having big hitboxes and level twos dropping faster than normal(very very dangerous for Painwheel). There is some key stuff to know about Peacock's item drop as a Painwheel player. All except for two of the items behave very similar. Tenrai-Ha is a multi hitting level 3 drop and Dio's road roller causes a hilarious Jojos animation that may as well be a super lol. They don't happen often. Light punch item drop makes an item drop close to Peacock's front, but it doesn't move anywhere. Medium punch item drop makes an item drop halfway across the stage from Peacock's front, but it doesn't move anywhere either. Level three item drops cause a ground bounce which makes it easy to set up two(even three if you are Mike) argus agony supers using Peacock's walking bombs.
I meant the assist version of that move. Can you charge the assist version?

*Painwheel's crouching medium punch is a good multihitting normal. Disco has handed my ass back to me on a gold plate using that and Cerebella. I'm Parawheel can do the same with practice.
It seems weak compared to Cerebella's equivalent. I'm actually a bit disappointed with custom assists because a lot of Painwheel's interesting assist ideas have to charge up, and I can't do that with an assist version. I'd much rather have the charged c.MP.

You can RC, but it's not necessary to combo off a backwards tossing grab. Head to training mode and practice it a bit. All you need is grab+dash+light kick+launcher and you are read to go. Comboing off foward grab in the middle of the stage ought to require RC, though/
K.

Yeah, remember the fact that all non level 1 supers are one bar cheaper than normal. I like it. Makes the use of extravagant level threes more rampant which is good for spectator purposes. I feel like it is a sort of replacement for X-factor's hype.
I think the game already has the potential to be more hype just because ToD stuff is minimal. That's easily Marvel's biggest problem. Too much damage.

The Ryu to my Sakura.
Hahahaha.

Pretty impressive considering the fact that you are in Chicago and I'm in NY.
44ms ping is solid. I'll be in CO soon; it'll be interesting to see the difference.

You think so? It feels like Spiral Swords lasts a lot longer. You bet your ass they do chip.
Definitely not, I'd say. Spiral Swords doesn't last long at all. It can seem like it does due to excessive hitstun in Vergil combos, though.

I believe it is. If you're about to lose by chip to the car then I recommend doing a hit invincible move if you have one (Parasoul's pillar for example).
Cool.

Hornet Bomber is Double's butt slam. It's her DP basically. And a great freaking assist. The lk one has the most invincibility but doesn't go very far, the mk one has some invincibility on startup and goes half-screen, and the hk version doesn't have any invincibility but goes roughly full screen. The mk and hk versions are so scary with Peacock because on hit it is a complete momentum killer pushing you clean across the screen resetting the situation and giving Peacock all the time in the world to set up a level 2 item drop and a whole new bomb pattern. Even on block it pushes you back a decent amount, which starts getting really frustrating as you have to simultaneously deal with projectiles coming from every which way.

Witness Peacock/Double for yourself.

2) You have to block that as a cross up. Or you can hit her out of it before she starts moving behind. You might even be able to grab her out of it, but I'm not too sure about that one.
3)Peacock's item drop has 3 levels to it dependent on how long you hold down the button. If you pay attention to the shadow that appears under your character when she uses it, you'll notice an exclamation point that appears as the shadow grows larger indicating the level of the item.

Discoshark is a poster here.
Thank you, watching now.

Oh and SolarPowered, don't worry about scaring me away from the game because Painwheel is the worst right now. I already had several people tell me that this weekend. I'm reading DiscoShark's posts, and it makes me smile that I recognized all the same problems he has. Personally, I'd love for her to get the dagger throws as an aerial special just so I have something to do up there against Cerebellum except for rush, and I think she should either get an unfly, or air dash blocking should be removed. There's no good reason for one to get special treatment over the other.

Edit: Also, I couldn't hear it at UFGT9, but this game has some great music. MvC2-ish.

joe2187

Banned
GGs Ken

I had so many accidental feral edges in the air because I have very bad fighting game habits (mashy mashy) I kept trying to do a fortune BNB I learned in Vanilla SG before the patch...so used to OG Xbox version

I need to go back and look at some new guides.

and FUCK THAT Kanchou!....So salty everytime you landed that. :)

The connection was solid though, and only the first couple matches were laggy.

Ken

Yeah GGs.

All the super grabs that landed were unintentional inputs, and all the super grab whiffs were intentional. Lol.

Edit: About Painwheels voice... I think it makes perfect sense. She has probably spent so much time howling in pain that she has gone hoarse. You should play her story mode and see some of her animations via gifs. It's pretty gory stuff.
What are the top anti-air assists in this game? So far I've seen Parasoul and Peacock with great ones.
Pretty much all of them are good so feel free to branch out. Peacock also has her medium punch DP which is grab invincible. Very useful against someone like you or cerebella players.
Should I snap Double in? She seems kind of crappy without meter. Or maybe you just aren't very good with her.
I'll say this about our games. Parasoul and Peacock are the only ones I play regularly. I touch the others once every few months? You haven't begun to see a real Cerebella, Double or Filia.
I understand how hard it hits. Why do you think I got good at not getting hit by it? :p
Cool
Ohhh, good thought! Is it only projectiles that make it plop around?
Hits like Cerebella's walking punch super can move it forward significantly, but you usually want to stick to projectile supers. Nothing moves it better than Inferno Brigade and Argus Agony if you ask me.
What is it like now?
It's not as good, but you saw how much better I did against you when I switched from Double's heavy kick to her hornet bomber, right? That was a major improvement and it kept you locked down a lot against Filia. People usually use the light version now since it has fewer active frames.
Duckator said this to me: "Don't let her get in on you. If she does, you've probably lost the game." That's why I tried to do those claw grabs in the air against your air dashes. Trying to keep your butt out. :p
Yeah, hornet bomber and Filia is no joke. My Filia is straight trash to boot. I can't play that character at all.
You were better than most of the people I played this weekend. You should go out and see what you can do.
Thanks, I would have gone to ECT, but I was a bit drained after the IGG campaign and my PS3 replacement.
I dig. I really only use it for DHCs and post-grab combos. Hopefully only one of those in the near future with some practice.
Great
Can I cancel flight safely with j.LK in response to the sniper shot's screen freeze?
It shouldn't be a problem if you don't stay too high up and I'm pretty sure her air super beats out Parasoul's sniper shot if you are close enough to connect. It's just a really tough matchup until you use Hatred Install. That super puts Painwheel into maximum overdrive. It is literally Dark Painwheel.
Peacock seems to be the character that everyone complains about so far.
Funnily enough she used to be considered the game's low tier for a good while. Just goes to show how fluid this game is. Painwheel might be on top by the end of this summer depending on how the balancing goes during the PC beta.
I should check those. I checked all of Painwheel's, but there weren't any surprises.
You'll find out first-hand just how crazy good Parasoul's hitboxes are. I'm happy she resonated so well with me from the start.
I don't know if it's going to be the finger pop until they get to me, though. It could be the ram horn, yah? I always jump and try to j.HP to hit her, and then she just zips behind me. Is it armored, invulnerable, or...?
Her battletoads Ram is just super armored, but her Kancho is perfectly punishable and especially easy for us Parasoul players who just have to charge versus players who have to switch their DP motions on the fly.

I had so much fun messing around with Cerebella during our matches. It has to be kind of scary to see female Potemkin literally running and stopping constantly while you shot napalm. I love Mike's approach towards grapplers even though I just can't be arsed to use one. <3
I meant the assist version of that move. Can you charge the assist version?
No, but you should definitely be aware of it's performance on point. I almost always stick with the heavy item drop because I want the tracking it provides. Peacock is chocked full of good assists, though. She has her light DP, mid DP, heavy item drop and all three of her bombs are excellent assists.
It seems weak compared to Cerebella's equivalent. I'm actually a bit disappointed with custom assists because a lot of Painwheel's interesting assist ideas have to charge up, and I can't do that with an assist version. I'd much rather have the charged c.MP.
It SEEMS weak, but that fight against Disco with Painwheel's medium punch assist reminded me of a certain risque Superman comic involving pillows. Believe me, you've only just being to scratch the surface of this game. Her assist will provide much utility, but you are right... she doesn't have as much variety as the others.

Things could change since Mike has been looking for a way to incorporate more moves into the custom assist category. It is slow going because everyone in the cast has the potential to wreck the balance if it isn't handled carefully. Imagine a game where Parasoul's RC soldier were applied to everyone? Peacock could have shots from her heavy DP? Painwheel could have access to all her super charged normals? These are fantastic ideas, but it's gonna take time to work it out. Also, it will take money and the last time Mike and co worked on a patch it was all without pay for nine months. ;_;
I think the game already has the potential to be more hype just because ToD stuff is minimal. That's easily Marvel's biggest problem. Too much damage.
I'm glad we're on the same page here. I love the blow ups, but it is kinda insane sometimes.
44ms ping is solid. I'll be in CO soon; it'll be interesting to see the difference.
Can't wait to see it put to the test as well. Good luck on the home searching btw.
Oh and SolarPowered, don't worry about scaring me away from the game because Painwheel is the worst right now. I already had several people tell me that this weekend. I'm reading DiscoShark's posts, and it makes me smile that I recognized all the same problems he has. Personally, I'd love for her to get the dagger throws as an aerial special just so I have something to do up there against Cerebellum except for rush, and I think she should either get an unfly, or air dash blocking should be removed. There's no good reason for one to get special treatment over the other.
Just try to put in the work in the mean time and you'll find that there is much enjoyment to be had. Painwheel has a lot of room to grow for you in the regular combo department. This doesn't even include her terrifying Hatred Install. I'm pretty sure my win rate against Painwheel in that state is like 30% at best. Mike buffed that overall since he started showing builds on Salty Cupcakes to boot.

Don't forget to make good use of her super armored normals like I mentioned. Disco has blown me up several times with that.
Edit: Also, I couldn't hear it at UFGT9, but this game has some great music. MvC2-ish.
Have you heard the new track for the Casino stage?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpj7Z9D_qYA

This game will be something special if we ever get to the point where all the characters are included along with music and stages. I already know it'll be in my top five for fighters by SG2. Michiru Yamane is the best at what she does/Wolvie.

Pretty much all of them are good so feel free to branch out. Peacock also has her medium punch DP which is grab invincible. Very useful against someone like you or cerebella players.
Yeah, but what are they? LOL. I LOVE the custom assist idea, but there should be a goddamn list to pick from with character animations showing up for newbies. I don't know what all of the game's DPs are!

I'll say this about our games. Parasoul and Peacock are the only ones I play regularly. I touch the others once every few months? You haven't begun to see a real Cerebella, Double or Filia.
You are not correct, because I played Duckator for 2 hours, and he smashed me hard with Filia and Double. I only got him down to Double once or twice, though, and it was almost always because he let me practice something new on him. :) Why am I smiling? Because I am.

Hits like Cerebella's walking punch super can move it forward significantly, but you usually want to stick to projectile supers. Nothing moves it better than Inferno Brigade and Argus Agony if you ask me.
Cool.

It's not as good, but you saw how much better I did against you when I switched from Double's heavy kick to her hornet bomber, right? That was a major improvement and it kept you locked down a lot against Filia. People usually use the light version now since it has fewer active frames.
Oh yeah, huge difference.

Yeah, hornet bomber and Filia is no joke. My Filia is straight trash to boot. I can't play that character at all.
I noticed the lack of instant overheads.

Thanks, I would have gone to ECT, but I was a bit drained after the IGG campaign and my PS3 replacement.
Then I expect you there next year - promise me!

It shouldn't be a problem if you don't stay too high up and I'm pretty sure her air super beats out Parasoul's sniper shot if you are close enough to connect. It's just a really tough matchup until you use Hatred Install. That super puts Painwheel into maximum overdrive. It is literally Dark Painwheel.
It feels underwhelming, but maybe it's just because my combos are too short. Whenever I finally get 3 bars, the match tends to be almost over. I look forward to it being a 2-bar hyper.

Funnily enough she used to be considered the game's low tier for a good while. Just goes to show how fluid this game is. Painwheel might be on top by the end of this summer depending on how the balancing goes during the PC beta.
Ech, I hope not. I don't like mirror matches. Painwheel mirror matches are...a pain. We just end up flying to the top of the screen...

Which reminds me: does Peacock's item drop assist hit all the way up at the tippity-top of the screen?

You'll find out first-hand just how crazy good Parasoul's hitboxes are. I'm happy she resonated so well with me from the start.
I'm going to pick up a charge character in SF to get better at this stuff.

Her battletoads Ram is just super armored, but her Kancho is perfectly punishable and especially easy for us Parasoul players who just have to charge versus players who have to switch their DP motions on the fly.
THAT'S why it looked familiar!

I had so much fun messing around with Cerebella during our matches. It has to be kind of scary to see female Potemkin literally running and stopping constantly while you shot napalm. I love Mike's approach towards grapplers even though I just can't be arsed to use one. <3
It was surprising at first because the Cerebellas I played with never stopped, haha. The first few times I got confused.

No, but you should definitely be aware of it's performance on point. I almost always stick with the heavy item drop because I want the tracking it provides. Peacock is chocked full of good assists, though. She has her light DP, mid DP, heavy item drop and all three of her bombs are excellent assists.
Cool.

It SEEMS weak, but that fight against Disco with Painwheel's medium punch assist reminded me of a certain risque Superman comic involving pillows. Believe me, you've only just being to scratch the surface of this game. Her assist will provide much utility, but you are right... she doesn't have as much variety as the others.
What superman comic is that?! :-/

Things could change since Mike has been looking for a way to incorporate more moves into the custom assist category. It is slow going because everyone in the cast has the potential to wreck the balance if it isn't handled carefully. Imagine a game where Parasoul's RC soldier were applied to everyone? Peacock could have shots from her heavy DP? Painwheel could have access to all her super charged normals? These are fantastic ideas, but it's gonna take time to work it out. Also, it will take money and the last time Mike and co worked on a patch it was all without pay for nine months. ;_;
I say "do it". I can't imagine it being that big of a deal, anyway. You're giving up a presence in the neutral, and you can't call assists during specials anyway, right?
I'm glad we're on the same page here. I love the blow ups, but it is kinda insane sometimes.
I only play Firebrand based around unblockables because it's all he has. :-(

Can't wait to see it put to the test as well. Good luck on the home searching btw.
Thank you.

Just try to put in the work in the mean time and you'll find that there is much enjoyment to be had. Painwheel has a lot of room to grow for you in the regular combo department. This doesn't even include her terrifying Hatred Install. I'm pretty sure my win rate against Painwheel in that state is like 30% at best. Mike buffed that overall since he started showing builds on Salty Cupcakes to boot.
What do you find so terrifying about her level 3?

Don't forget to make good use of her super armored normals like I mentioned. Disco has blown me up several times with that.
As I get better, I plan on incorporating armor into my game via frame traps. It doesn't seem good for anything beyond that, though.

I don't get how many hits the moves have, though. I thought it worked like this:
L move = 1 hits to break
M move = 2 hits to break
H move = 3 hits to break (i.e. 3 hits of armor)

On the Skullgirls tutorial MikeZ gave, though, it shows M breaking after 1 hit, and H breaking after 2 (i.e. she gets hit for real on hit 3). Which is right? If the tutorial is right, I'm confused on how the L move has any armor at all.
Have you heard the new track for the Casino stage?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpj7Z9D_qYA
Lovely!

This game will be something special if we ever get to the point where all the characters are included along with music and stages. I already know it'll be in my top five for fighters by SG2. Michiru Yamane is the best at what she does/Wolvie.
What is up with SG2 anyway?

As long as MikeZ keeps this up, it could turn into a DotA situation.

Beats

I don't know what to do against Parasoul lol. I was super free. GGs Solar.

Kept getting hit by those standing overheads. I also thought your assist was a high attack, so I kept switching my block.

Kioshen

Kept getting hit by those standing overheads. I also thought your assist was a high attack, so I kept switching my block.

If you were against Solar, I wouldn't imagine me ;_;.

El Sloth

Banned
ggs, AzureJ

As you can see my Parasoul needs some work. Maybe I should learn more than one combo, huh?

Nah.

You were doing a lot better with your Fortune. Although, the reason I suggested you switch to a solo character was because you weren't really utilizing your assists against me. Maybe try Fortune on point with Valentine's regular grab or command grab as an assist?

And yeah, there were a bunch of times where you should have won, but you just didn't know the right combos to finish me off.
I don't know what all of the game's DPs are!
Tsk tsk

Someone skipped the character tutorials!

GGs Jeri, but wtf with that lag it shouldn't be anywhere near that bad.

Would it be too incorrect to blame it on family members on both sides? :|

Azure J

My face after set with Sloth: :D

My face after set with SolarK: D:

Filia's a monster. Also, playing someone who actually knows combos hurts.

@Solar: Not sure what's happening here since no one's using the net (shockingly).

Here my brother's using it, but he's not doing anything out of the ordinary that he doesn't do when I've fought other people :/

Seriously the lag shouldn't be so much worse than what I get with Ken.

These rounds didn't feel legit because of it tbh.

Yeah, but what are they? LOL. I LOVE the custom assist idea, but there should be a goddamn list to pick from with character animations showing up for newbies. I don't know what all of the game's DPs are!
That is a neat idea that I'll have to ask Mike about. Keep in mind that the core Skullgirls team is tiny and kinda poor compared to the big studios. These guys do AMAZING work with what they're given. Makes me feel bad for asking about new features and stuff sometimes. :p
You are not correct, because I played Duckator for 2 hours, and he smashed me hard with Filia and Double. I only got him down to Double once or twice, though, and it was almost always because he let me practice something new on him. :) Why am I smiling? Because I am.
I knew you played him and I somehow still forgot about Double. God, I'm so bad at the little details. Well, it certainly helped because you've got better fundamentals than some regular SG players.
Oh yeah, huge difference.
The power of big butts.
I noticed the lack of instant overheads.
I just don't know how to Filia. ;_;
Then I expect you there next year - promise me!
I can promise that.
It feels underwhelming, but maybe it's just because my combos are too short. Whenever I finally get 3 bars, the match tends to be almost over. I look forward to it being a 2-bar hyper.
Sorry

It's a bad fight because of me. If I were better at combos you'd get to three bars real quick. :p
Ech, I hope not. I don't like mirror matches. Painwheel mirror matches are...a pain. We just end up flying to the top of the screen...
You won't have to worry about seeing that too much. Painwheel and Double are two of the least popular characters and they are both kinda hard to learn too.
Which reminds me: does Peacock's item drop assist hit all the way up at the tippity-top of the screen?
I would assume it does. I've never thought to ask since there is no way to see it unless you can call assists with two Painwheels at the top of the stage. :p
I'm going to pick up a charge character in SF to get better at this stuff.
Eww

I'm learning to like SFIV more these days after SFxT, but I can't fathom how that game teaches anyone more about fighting games in general. Playing SFIV has only made me better at SFIV. Good luck with it, though. Whatever makes you better is good stuff.
THAT'S why it looked familiar!
I believe a lot of people on the team are big Battletoads fans. Notice what happens when it actually connects!
It was surprising at first because the Cerebellas I played with never stopped, haha. The first few times I got confused.
Freaky stuff to see a grappler moving like that lol. Her ram and kancho are good, but I don't see many Cerebellas making good use of her run-stop game at all and I think that is a real waste.
What superman comic is that?! :-/
It is a photoshop of the comic below iirc.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-TRRI3XKTe4k/Tt2j5Bu-UMI/AAAAAAAAA2k/5eVFaCmze3U/s1600/DSC05169.JPG
I say "do it". I can't imagine it being that big of a deal, anyway. You're giving up a presence in the neutral, and you can't call assists during specials anyway, right?
We'll see eventually. He has talked about it and he is constantly fiddling with the game so we might see that down the road. Right now the game is in a great place so I'm okay with things moving slowly on the assist front.
I only play Firebrand based around unblockables because it's all he has. :-(
I wouldn't call what he does a "blow up". That is calculated whittling and set ups. I'm talking about that random happy birthday into dead assist in the span of three seconds. It's really harsh compared to Skullgirls which has the MvC2 assist punish using snapbacks.
What do you find so terrifying about her level 3?
Everything

She has stupid good damage, x-factor speeds on flight and movement in general and her grabs... goddamn those things sound and ARE painful in hatred install. She can bait out DPs all day and go in for the kill in that state. God forbid you don't have good fundamentals when dealing with that character.
As I get better, I plan on incorporating armor into my game via frame traps. It doesn't seem good for anything beyond that, though.

I don't get how many hits the moves have, though. I thought it worked like this:
L move = 1 hits to break
M move = 2 hits to break
H move = 3 hits to break (i.e. 3 hits of armor)

On the Skullgirls tutorial MikeZ gave, though, it shows M breaking after 1 hit, and H breaking after 2 (i.e. she gets hit for real on hit 3). Which is right? If the tutorial is right, I'm confused on how the L move has any armor at all.
Where is Disco when ya need him? I know for a fact that light punch is armored. He has used that fast armored move to confirm into some nasty combos when I got lax.

It is probably an error in the tutorial? Maybe...
What is up with SG2 anyway?

As long as MikeZ keeps this up, it could turn into a DotA situation.
It'll happen if Autumn games clears up all their legal issues with Konami iirc. The major part of the legal business with the bank is over with, but Autumn has things to take care of with Konami.

Don't forget everybody else. It's been a treat watching Persona and Mariel stream their work for a dozen hours at time. Oh and Ravi who goes all in for the fans and game. It's a real dream team between all those guys, Richard, Alex and Cristina Vee.

You scared the crap out of me with Filia's first combo, mang. I went from regular Solarpowered to a Kryptonian powered by motherfucking Rigel in the span of ten seconds and everything went black until we hit a certain number of matches that I won't disclose.

I don't even
man, I either do really well against someone or get destroyed by someone in this game lol. :[
I don't want to sound like I'm insulting you, but I remember our first fight now. It feels like you spend more time practicing combos than spacing and fundamentals. Also, I think you really got shaken up after three or so matches, didn't you?

Don't get shook, man. GG btw

That is a neat idea that I'll have to ask Mike about. Keep in mind that the core Skullgirls team is tiny and kinda poor compared to the big studios. These guys do AMAZING work with what they're given. Makes me feel bad for asking about new features and stuff sometimes. :p
I'm surprised that with all the training features, there's nothing in the game to teach me a basic combo with each character. That's a major oversight (or am I having one for not noticing where those are?).

I knew you played him and I somehow still forgot about Double. God, I'm so bad at the little details. Well, it certainly helped because you've got better fundamentals than some regular SG players.
Just call me the Evo 2014 champ (lol).

I just don't know how to Filia. ;_;
Lower air dashes into j.LP (or j.LK, I forget) into j.HK (or HP, I forget!) for a low double overhead. Over and over until your opponent breaks with occasional lows thrown in. That's what Duckator did to me. :-(

I can promise that.
Holding you to it!

Sorry

It's a bad fight because of me. If I were better at combos you'd get to three bars real quick. :p
Your Parasoul combos last a good long time. I'm the real problem.

You won't have to worry about seeing that too much. Painwheel and Double are two of the least popular characters and they are both kinda hard to learn too.
This makes me want to pick up Double. I want to experiment with Sentinel/CapCom/Blackheart first, though.

I would assume it does. I've never thought to ask since there is no way to see it unless you can call assists with two Painwheels at the top of the stage. :p
I don't see why you couldn't call assists that high!

Eww

I'm learning to like SFIV more these days after SFxT, but I can't fathom how that game teaches anyone more about fighting games in general. Playing SFIV has only made me better at SFIV. Good luck with it, though. Whatever makes you better is good stuff.
I'm not a big fan of SF, but I now somehow main charge characters in my two main games. The problem is that I use them under unfavorable circumstances. Parasoul is all alone, and so is Shuma-Gorath. I think it might be good for me to use one as a "point" character to get better at the motions.

Freaky stuff to see a grappler moving like that lol. Her ram and kancho are good, but I don't see many Cerebellas making good use of her run-stop game at all and I think that is a real waste.
Does the stop have recovery, or did you just keep getting hit?

lol

We'll see eventually. He has talked about it and he is constantly fiddling with the game so we might see that down the road. Right now the game is in a great place so I'm okay with things moving slowly on the assist front.
I dig.

I wouldn't call what he does a "blow up". That is calculated whittling and set ups. I'm talking about that random happy birthday into dead assist in the span of three seconds. It's really harsh compared to Skullgirls which has the MvC2 assist punish using snapbacks.
Ah, true.

Everything

She has stupid good damage, x-factor speeds on flight and movement in general and her grabs... goddamn those things sound and ARE painful in hatred install. She can bait out DPs all day and go in for the kill in that state. God forbid you don't have good fundamentals when dealing with that character.
I will become Superman in that comic you posted.

Where is Disco when ya need him? I know for a fact that light punch is armored. He has used that fast armored move to confirm into some nasty combos when I got lax.
Sharkin' around.

It is probably an error in the tutorial? Maybe...
I watched it, too. So unless the moves were lying, or I was seeing it wrong...

It'll happen if Autumn games clears up all their legal issues with Konami iirc. The major part of the legal business with the bank is over with, but Autumn has things to take care of with Konami.
Are they going to remake everyone, or just add a ton of characters? I hope for the latter. Just fix Filia's face.

Don't forget everybody else. It's been a treat watching Persona and Mariel stream their work for a dozen hours at time. Oh and Ravi who goes all in for the fans and game. It's a real dream team between all those guys, Richard, Alex and Cristina Vee.
It would actually really be something if Sony picked their team up. They seem interested in getting into fighting games what with PSAS and S-Kill, but they don't have any knowledge base outside of him. MikeZ should proposition them.

Top Bottom